VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    yes
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

2. THE GOOD:
    Maxell is good. The MXL media formula, not the brand.
    Pioneer is good. The PVC media formula, not the brand.
    Ritek is good. Most RITEKG03 and all RITEKG04.
    Apple is good. The brand. They have a high quality control in their contracts.
    Verbatim is good. The MCC media formula, not the brand.
    Optodisc is good. The gold ones. OPTODISC media code.
    Seems like this information is a few months old. So is the info above still true? Is the media formula marked on the product some where so you can tell what you are getting? I have gotten the impression from reading here and else where you what to go with the "gold" colored media?

And has anybody heard anything about the Fujifilm DVD+R?

3. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Burned DVD recordables may last longer than commercial quality pressed DVDs. Yes, you read that right. We've always assumed that since commercial DVDs are made using a mechanical process instead of a thermo-chemical process like recordables, that they would be longer-lived. It turns out that the aluminum reflective layer used in commercial discs, vital for it to read correctly, may actually degrade faster than the dye in recordables.

Here's a quote from the article:

NIST has found that recordable disks seem to last much longer than rewritable disks, Byers said, and even longer than manufactured disks such as CDs for installing commercial software.

General industry guidelines now estimate office-burned copies of CDs and DVDs could remain readable for 100 to 200 years
    I came across this article in the GCN print version. It's very interesting and may clear up some misconceptions about burned media and longevity:

http://www.gcn.com/23_5/news/25166-1.html

Search Comp PM
    Falacies abound !!! Didn't you all read what the original author wrote ? Not 5 posts later, folks were making general statements about quality again.

SPECIFICALLY , I take GREAT exception to folks slamming LEAD DATA. WHen I bought 500 for an awesome price about 15 months ago ( DVD-R white printables) I was told I bought garbage.

Well, 110 movies and 50+ weddings later (used about 300 disks so far) I have not had a single error. So is LEAD DATA bad media or did the person who said that get a bad batch or have crappy burn software or a dirty laser.

As the poster said, there are MANY factors....I like RITEK, and I have used MAXELL and VERBATIM, but I have had equal success with Promedia and LeadData.

BOttom Line - I would not blame media for as much as folks do.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arcorob
    SPECIFICALLY , I take GREAT exception to folks slamming LEAD DATA. WHen I bought 500 for an awesome price about 15 months ago .
    LD01 inkjet is great media ... but harder to find. It's the only LD media that performs consistently. Others vary greatly.

Was this what you have?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

Search Comp PM
    Hmm...good question...Have to run a check against them. I always forget what they show up as ...

They were a steal at the time when even spindles averaged 1.50 a disk...The guy who sold them had a boatlaod that he thought were DVD+R Riteks. When he found they were not, he offered me the whole lot. I just pulled the invoice.....500 disks, 325 plus 25 shipping so 350..

I will check the media code. and edit this post

Search Comp PM
    based on Lordsmurfs and others recomendations -- i picked up a couple Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's to give them a try ... i'll compare to ritek G04's
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

8. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    based on Lordsmurfs and others recomendations -- i picked up a couple Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's to give them a try ... i'll compare to ritek G04's
    This is how many you buy when you want to "give them a try"?

How many do you buy when you like them?

Lordsmurf - I like your coasters site and have it bookmarked. Is the information there still current? Lately there have been shifts in DVD-R quality levels ...maybe because the vendor has started using CMC? For example, Princo 1X white-tops have gone from "bad" to "landfill" quality, IMO.

Which media/dye brand guide would you consider still current - this post, your web site, both or neither?

Search Comp PM
    Yes, I keep that page pretty well updated, in fact most updated of all the rest of the site.

I think the only thing I need to add is RITEKR03/R04 DVD+R media, but I'm not sure where to put it yet, and others I collaborate with aren't either (mostly because we've long dismissed DVD+R as being very good, and not wanting to fritter away money on more RITEK rejects ... therefore it's gotten little testing).

The only thing lacking is the image gallery of media, of which I could easily double if I found the time to shoot my new discs. I've shot a lot of them, just haven't corrected them yet.

Remember, media has variances. In the OVERALL, GRAND SCHEME of things, Princo is decent. I use a very generous mean average. If the site included all rating for the average, all discs would have 0%-100% ranges.

10. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Yes, I keep that page pretty well updated, in fact most updated of all the rest of the site.

I think the only thing I need to add is RITEKR03/R04 DVD+R media, but I'm not sure where to put it yet, and others I collaborate with aren't either (mostly because we've long dismissed DVD+R as being very good, and not wanting to fritter away money on more RITEK rejects ... therefore it's gotten little testing).

The only thing lacking is the image gallery of media, of which I could easily double if I found the time to shoot my new discs. I've shot a lot of them, just haven't corrected them yet.

Remember, media has variances. In the OVERALL, GRAND SCHEME of things, Princo is decent. I use a very generous mean average. If the site included all rating for the average, all discs would have 0%-100% ranges.
    Thanks Smurfie - that's good to know

I have over 2,000 Princos at home I've burned. The reason I mention them is that the last few hundred I've bought seemed exceptionally bad .....40 - 60 coasters out of 100. That's a pretty low success rate. Now I'm having trouble finding decent discs where I don't have to throw out 3 or 4 at a time trying to do a burn

Search Comp PM
    out of the first ~200 Taiyo Yuden ive burned .. i had 2-3 bad ones ..

12. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    out of the first ~200 Taiyo Yuden ive burned .. i had 2-3 bad ones ..
    I'll trade places with you any day

Search Comp PM
    I just bought 200 blanks of prodisc (the pioneer certified brand). Anyone have any feedback on this? I didn't see it listed before

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dqtus
    I just bought 200 blanks of prodisc (the pioneer certified brand). Anyone have any feedback on this? I didn't see it listed before
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=876474#876474

15. there is no right or wrong DVD-Rs. I burned around...i dunno...300 memorex DVD-Rs and i've had about 6 or 7 coasters out of that many. thats a damn good number if the media is so crappy. i think a lot of it is subject to opinion.

16. This is somewhat off-topic, but I think it probably applies to DVDs also. I found that in the past, in the prehistoric age of computers, some CDR/W drives (eg. Acer) would work fine with expensive "good" media but not when I bought generic CDRW disks (eg. CompUSA, Pacific data).

However, after I upgraded to a newer CDRW drive (eg. LG), I found that all the "bad" CDRWs which I was about to toss suddenly started working again with my new drive!

The only way I can explain this is that the new drive had a "stronger" or "more accurate" laser than the old drives. So the point being that it's probably a combination of the media AND the drive that makes the final difference.

Search Comp PM
    thank you for the link

I was just wondering this the other day but it seems to me that prodisc and ritek and a few other brands from supermediastore do not have logos on the DVDs. It's just a silver finish. So how exactly do I know that my DVDs are really prodisc or Ritek or whatever I buy. There doesn't seem to be a factory seal on the spindel either, it's just wrapped in the clear plastic wrap. It does have a sticker on it labeled 50 pack prodisc though so is it just something that I have to trust supermedia store with?

Search Comp PM
    thank you for the link

I was just wondering this the other day but it seems to me that prodisc and ritek and a few other brands from supermediastore do not have logos on the DVDs. It's just a silver finish. So how exactly do I know that my DVDs are really prodisc or Ritek or whatever I buy. There doesn't seem to be a factory seal on the spindel either, it's just wrapped in the clear plastic wrap. It does have a sticker on it labeled 50 pack prodisc though so is it just something that I have to trust supermedia store with?

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdmediaform.php?dvdinfo=1#dvdinfo

Search Comp PM
    did you see this also ?

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This discussion strays far from "...misconceptions of DVD MEDIA" and became yet another pointless discussion on the subject "Princos - bad or good".

However I'd like to point out to all of you computer writer users, that there is a large market of the standalone dvd recorders which you totally skipped in this sticky, and lets not forget that standalone recorders are supposedly soon to overshadow computer writers once and forever.
    While same movie backup on DVD+R or DVD-R burnt on a computer writer really doesn't have much of the difference between them two, the standalone recorders DO HAVE a giant difference in this field!

What's better, DVD-R or DVD+R? There is no correct answer here as both formats are extremely compatible and have many similarities. Although DVD-R has been around longer and is "statistically" sold around the world more then (DVD+R), that doesn't make it better.
    There is a major difference between DVD+R and DVD-R standalone dvd recorders. All standalones using DVD-R/RW media must burn them exactly according to DVD-Video specs, while standalones using DVD+R/RW very often DON'T because this sick + format allows for it (which means + is a standard for itself rather than to conform to DVD-Video)
    Just look up some threads in hardware/dvd recorders...
    (and I didnt mean to start any flames here between "-" and "+", I own +/- standalone and +/- comp writers, so I dont care for neither one of them - but for more stndard-compliancy I use only -R discs).

21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @Satviewer
    This is somewhat off-topic, but I think it probably applies to DVDs also. I found that in the past, in the prehistoric age of computers, some CDR/W drives (eg. Acer) would work fine with expensive "good" media but not when I bought generic CDRW disks (eg. CompUSA, Pacific data).

However, after I upgraded to a newer CDRW drive (eg. LG), I found that all the "bad" CDRWs which I was about to toss suddenly started working again with my new drive!

The only way I can explain this is that the new drive had a "stronger" or "more accurate" laser than the old drives. So the point being that it's probably a combination of the media AND the drive that makes the final difference.
    It is not offtopic, this is the thread about all DVD-MEDIA, not only write-once types
    Same thing happened to me with sony dru-500 writer. I had 10-pack of DVD-RW discs, all of which after 1-2 writes became unsuable (according to sony writer). Thankfully I didnt toss'em away, because when I got rid of it and bought my first LG 4020 writer suddenly they were all alive - and theyre still kicking till today! (1 of them is already after few hundred rewrites).

22. Princos=under one year
    Samsung Beall= 100 years (tested)

How long are their going to be dvd players? Ah, who knows.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    Princos=under one year
    Samsung Beall= 100 years (tested)

How long are their going to be dvd players? Ah, who knows.
    Perfect example of a misconception. Princos cannot magically die in one year. And then accelerated growth in a lab is not real-world to get to 100 years. Something else happened to the Princo (www.nomorecoasters.com) and then you'll be dead in 100 years anyway.

Search Comp PM
    and lets not forget that standalone recorders are supposedly soon to overshadow computer writers once and forever.
    Really now is that true? hmmmms I would think using a computer dvd burner and using computer software to edit video has way more advantages than a standalone dvd recorder. I don't know much about standalone recorders but in my opinion using a pc would be better. I beg to differ on your comment about standalone dvd recorders will overshadow computer writers once and forever. With dual layer burners hitting the market I don't see how standalone recorders will overshadow it as you've mentioned. As for DVD MEDIA my opinion is whatever works for you may not work for others. The saying goes to using the standalone dvd recorders as well. Too many variables in authoring, editing and burning dvds. From how your drive is setup in your pc to the brand of dvd media and software you use.

__________________________________________________ _________

25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    budz:
    I beg to differ on your comment about standalone dvd recorders will overshadow computer writers once and forever
    Thats from market research data I read not long ago (if I find a link I'll add it here), it is not my opinion. I prefer computer than any best standalone recorder - obviously they will *never* match possibilities one have to make a disc on a computer. But thats me, probably you, and bunch of other people. In reality average Joe has no clue how to author anything on his computer, and its average Joes of the world who made up the bulk of the market sales.
    Either Sony or Matsushita IIRC is expecting to sell more standalone dvd recorders than computer writers in next few years, and I think theyre right. Once standalone recorders hit that magic $100 price tag, there will be huge world-wide rush to replace existing VCRs with dvd recorders, and as you probably know as well: there are many more VCRs than all PC/Mac computers combined out there

26. Hay, I'm a little bit confused. I use Verbatim for about 4 months and till now I burn about 60 disc. First I had a lot problems but now I know it was a program. I use now Nero 6 and have no problems. I have two questions. You speak about quality. If I have CMC made Verbatim disc, how can I notice, there is a difference - is the picture or sound quality worst, is the archival life not so good??? And how can I know Verbatim media I got is CMC?
    BTW: I have two Verbatim's +RW - with first, made in Singapur I had some problems, with other, made in Taiwan (CMC?) I had till now no problems!

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gumpec
    Hay, I'm a little bit confused. I use Verbatim for about 4 months and till now I burn about 60 disc. First I had a lot problems but now I know it was a program. I use now Nero 6 and have no problems. I have two questions. You speak about quality. If I have CMC made Verbatim disc, how can I notice, there is a difference - is the picture or sound quality worst, is the archival life not so good??? And how can I know Verbatim media I got is CMC?
    BTW: I have two Verbatim's +RW - with first, made in Singapur I had some problems, with other, made in Taiwan (CMC?) I had till now no problems!
    www.nomorecoasters.com

28. Yes, I saw this site. But if I check DVD media on this site, i saw, all the new Verbatim media (data life plus) are MCC. Some older one's war CMC, but newer not.

29. Sorry but I repeat my question. If I burn - lets say CMC media - and everythink works fine (burning and viewing). Is picture and sound quality by such media worse and is it archival life of such media (advanced AZO) shorter????

30. No and all this CMC bashing is starting to get ridiculous. If CMC would be as bad as some people claim they would never get OEM contracts with brands like TDK, Philips, Verbatim and others. Don't trust everything you read, try it yourself...