VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I'm not a hardcore user of DVD burners just yet. I've backed up PS2 games, several movies, and some files on my PC I wouldn't want to lose in the event of a crash. Right now I'm using a Cendyne OEM version of the Pioneer 104 and I had a few questions about media. Ive been to sites for both the forum Pioneer started, as well as the + side and all I can see is pure propaganda. + claims better compatibility, yet tests reveal - is more compatible. + claims multi-format is somehow "more confusing" then a 1 format burner.

For the average joe like myself who will go through 100 or less DVD recordable discs a year, would I see any advantage using +? I don't use RW discs, only R. I live with my girlfriend and I was considering picking up a DVD+RW drive or dual-format drive for her for our anniversary coming up just so this way we have both formats covered if one media suddenly disappears or backs off from this supposed "format war" and I was just wondering what people think about this. I'm not trying to stir up controversy with nothing but petty and childish replies, but I was just curious what people would say would be good for a more casual user such as myself or my girlfriend, who will most likely never take advantage of drag and drop writing that I hear +RW offers. Are there any clear cut superiorities on either side that really truly matter? Sorry to bring this + vs - issue up, but I was just wondering. By the way, my Playstation 2 will read DVD+R, and I believe at least 1 of my other 2 DVD players might as well. One is a Shinsonic 100-A (not listed on this site, never tested it for +), other is a Toshiba SD1800 (which I believe does NOT support +?) Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are NO significant advantages between the two. Just buy a dual format and you are good with both formats.
    Quote Quote