VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by gavmiester
    This is one of the most useless threads Ive seen yet....nice work!

Always find it amusing that very few people bother to quality the country they are in when mentioning price (although one person did in this instance), but I keep forgetting the US is the centre of the universe. You may be amazed to learn that elsewhere, -r media tends to sell for less, even the name brand crap that millionaires such as some of you, purchase. To quote a certain superhero..."flame on"
    Who is "you". Just trying to figure out the "flame on" ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ok...I agree. But when was the last time you tried to purchase a 1x Dvd-R disc. They are pretty much gone. The price point was too low.

Improve the dye....increase the speed. Get more $'s.

But there was never a r+ at $.068. Period.

I've done the same burns on the $.068 Dvd-r with no problems.
    The money I saved more than paid for the drive.

I agree with poopyhead.

It was great while it lasted.

Haven't seen too much less than buck since the early days.
    Not sure I understand your post. First you say you agree, then you talk about price of media which doesn't make much sense.

First, 1x media is still VERY ABUNDANT ONLINE. It was never really abundant in retailers anyway....2x was. If you want 1x media you get it online..simple as that.

Go to the top 5 online sites...ALL OF THEM HAVE 1x media for around .70-85 cents.

But there was never a r+ at $.068. Period.
    Of course there wasn't. Read my post.... there was NEVER A DVD+R disk which burned at 1x either. Your talking about a difference for the slowest DVD+R disk at almost 1 & 1/2 times faster then the slowest DVD-R disk. When you understand that...you'll understand why you never saw a price of .68 cents or less for +R media.

Look at the online sites OR THE RETAILERS and take the same speed 4X DVD-R disks and the 4X DVD+R disks, and you'll see the prices are virtually the same. Check Best Buy, CompUSA, FRY'S, SAMS CLUB, OFFICE DEPOT...etc..etc. You can't compare a disk which is 1x with a 2.4x disk.

I'm not saying that the quality will be any better or worse...that's another issue alone...the point is that if you are one of those people who doesn't mind waiting the extra 30-40 minutes to burn a disk AND you can get reliable 1x media for a cheap price...then by all means...load up on it.

The purpose of my post wasn't to find out whether someone minded spending the extra time to burn a disk and save money..vs whether they would rather spend a little more and burn a little faster. The purpose of my post was to squash all that B.S about DVD+R being better, and that's why it on average costs more.

It isn't better or worse and it costs more only when you take into account the minimal 1 & 1/2 times faster burn speed over the most minimal 1x DVD-R burn speed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leebo
    PS: All posters of this thread please be sure that when you quote, you quote the ENTIREpost. Do not quote only the relevent parts!

Only then will we have a chance to beat the record for the longest and most useless thread.
    i must disagree

it ties the other 872

"which format is better" posts

but in 6 months +r will be as cheap as -r

everywhere
    Quote Quote  
  4. "Everywhere" is somewhat bigger than the continental United States vance...

-R media is definitely cheaper than +R media in Oz...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  5. I stand corrected. Rima still has DVD-R at 1x at less that $0.80. My mistake.

Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I stand corrected. Rima still has DVD-R at 1x at less that $0.80.

And so does:
    meritline.com
    supermediastore.com
    cdrdvdrmedia.com

Supermediastore has 1x Media Pro disks for .73 cents a piece. Here's the link in case you're interested.

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvdmedia.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by defense
    I stand corrected. Rima still has DVD-R at 1x at less that $0.80.

And so does:
    meritline.com
    supermediastore.com
    cdrdvdrmedia.com

Supermediastore has 1x Media Pro disks for .73 cents a piece. Here's the link in case you're interested.

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvdmedia.html
    Thanks again my friend.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @next,

you may also wanna check out these:

1X generic $0.72/each + free shipping
    http://www.yesbuy.net/dv47gbgenuse2.html

2X generic $0.77/each + free shipping
    http://www.yesbuy.net/2xdv47gb10.html

4X generic $0.82/each + free shipping
    http://www.yesbuy.net/4xdvdr100pcs1.html

really cheap 1X Princos + free shipping
    http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/pricewatchspecial.html

------------

@defense,

i have to disagree with you that higher "rated burning speed' is why +R is more expensive. take a look at 4X Princos here: http://www.yesbuy.net/4xdvdr100pcs.html it's only $0.93/each + free shipping. the generic 4X i mentioned to above is even cheaper (only $0.82/each + free shipping). yes, there could be quality differences, but i don't think "rated burning speed" is the reason.

btw, there are plenty of others who are successful at burning 1X, cheapo Princos. i'm using a Pioneer A04 drive...perhaps, other burners may be more picky about the media than pioneers......

----------

@gavmiester,

you haven't heard???? it's UNITED STATES OF EARTH.... basically, every other country is just another state :P
    Quote Quote  
  9. @poopyhead, you really need to do a search on Princo disks. I know you aren't obviously the only person to burn them successfully, but look at the percentages. For every 2 positive Princo posts you find, you'll see 8 negative. Princo disks have been proven to be of inferior quality. This is no opinion it is fact. If you look it up on this forum alone, you will find the majority of Princo disks have some type of issue or another. Princo disks are also known to be the main disks which have been known to become unreadable over time for several reasons. In addition, the dyes Princo uses are also inferior. The disks just aren't cheaper because Princo feels like making them cheaper. The disks are cheaper because they are absolutely inferior. You may not want to hear that, but it's factual.

You might want to test all of your princo disks again...because you may not be as fortunate as you think. Also, if your standalone player is better with error correction then many others...that may be a reason you aren't noticing the issues as much. Should your standalone player faulter...you may be up shits creek without a paddle. I wouldn't use Princo disks under any circumstances....unless they were free...as were the 4x, 25 I currently have...and I'm damn sure glad I didn't pay for those.

Now as far as the price of +R media goes vs. -R media....if speed isn't the reason that +R media is more expensive on average...then what is it?

Your link to Princo 4x disks doesn't mean anything. Those Princo 4x disks aren't true 4x disks to begin with, and they are BARELY better then the crappiest disks i've ever used...the Shop4tech "MATRIX" disks. How do I know this? Because I have 25 Princo 4x disks under the "DVDPRO" name...I also have about 15 other types of media on hand currently, and the Matrix and Princo are the crappiest by FAR of the two. Neither of them will burn at 4x with the SONY burners nor will they with many other burners. That's why the price of them is so cheap.

Look at the facts. You go to most places and look at 4x DVD-R media and 4X DVD+R media and what do you see? Screw Matrix and Princo...those aren't real 4x disks and can NOT be considered among 4x media. Take ANY of the certified 4x media which will burn consistently @4x. The TDK/MEMOREX, FUJI, SONY, RICOH disks..just to name a few.

Look at those brands of 4x DVD-R AND DVD+R disks and tell me where you see a difference in the price? Now you take the slowest speeds DVD-R disks which would be 1x ....compare that to the lowest speed DVD+R disks..and you simply are NOT comparing apples with apples. You're comparing a disk which burns 1 & 1/2 times the speed of the other....it's obvious which one is going to be more expensive.

I don't think many people have actually thought about the entire speed thing before posting that +R is more expensive because it has some "MAGICAL" presense...lmao....look at the facts man....u compare EQUAL burn speeds between the two formats and you have EQUAL price...you compare lowest speed disks between the two formats...and you are getting what you pay for...a disk which burns 1 and a half times faster then then it's 1x counterpart.

If i'm wrong then why are all the CERTIFIED 4X disks (like some of the ones I mentioned above) basically equal in price between each other? The answer is simple. Because neither of the two are as different as some people would like to believe. As a matter of fact...they are extremely similar. The only significant difference between the LOWEST media in both formats is speed.

If you want a faster computer...you have to pay for it. A 2 ghz processer is more then a 1 ghz processor. If you want a faster car you have to pay for it...if you want a faster printer..you have to pay for it...if you want a faster modem...you have to pay for it....and if you want faster MEDIA...guess what....you have to pay for it.

Oh, and by the way...check out this link to the same site you linked (yesbuy.) The cheapest 4X DVD-R disks they sell are those Princo at 93 cents, but look at this link.

http://www.yesbuy.net/4xdvdr200pcs1.html

They are selling their chepeast 4x DVD+R media for 88 cents a piece. So I guess your theory there is shot down too.

But like I said...you can't even call these 4x disks being sold as 4x. They aren't true 4x disks..and they MAY burn in 1 DVD BURNER out of 12 different brands of DVD BURNERS at 4x, so these companies try to lure you in. I've already mentioned this on other posts. If you want True 4x media, you have to look for the media which specifies "CERTIFIED" 4X.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by next
    Totally out of focus here. I'll admit it in advance.

Try something that is similiar to a multiple recordable medium that even us stupids can appreciate. DVD-Ram is too easy.

Get a player(s) around your house that can play it. ($90 us). And you're done
    Yeah, Panasonic has some nice players now that will take -RAM. Singles, multi's and all in one theaters. I'm surprised that the portables don't yet. With the price of the recorders coming down, it only gets better from here!

You're welcome Leebo!

The Flame ON comment was a distant memory of some stupid cartoon I remember seeing when I was young. But for the life of me, I can not remember what super hero said it. Fantastic Four comes to mind, but not sure. Johnny the human torch? From fantastic four I think.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by defense
    Princo disks have been proven to be of inferior quality. This is no opinion it is fact. If you look it up on this forum alone, you will find the majority of Princo disks have some type of issue or another. Princo disks are also known to be the main disks which have been known to become unreadable over time for several reasons. In addition, the dyes Princo uses are also inferior.
    really?? users bad experiences with Princo does NOT count as fact. there are other reasons for "bad experineces" w/ Princo.

burning proggies themselves impact dvd player compatibility.... and the UDF 1.02 vs UDF 1.05 issue...

also, i know some of those problems are ppl using the hack 2Xall firmware to burn 1X rated media at 2X..obviously, when you burn faster than the rated speed, there may be longevity issues.

furthermore, not all DVD burners are built the same..and with the same quality. taking a page from your book, ppl on the forums have mentioned that certain brands of dvd burners are not as good (maybe it was memorex...or some other brand). hence, ppl may be using these cheapo Princos on burners that are very picky on media and cannot handle Princos. most websites have a DVD burner compatibility chart of the various media they sell. if someone uses the Princos for a burner not directly stated to be compatible with Princos, then they're taking a risk.

---------------

i've never ever had longevity issues with any cheapo, generic, silver-topped media (no brand at all...not even like a "Princo" label or any brand label on top)...and every one has lasted over 3 years...of course, my personal experiences could be limited to me as well...

also, yes...DVD players may be an issue....BUT that's what the dvd player compatibility section is for...you read the reviews on how good these DVD players deal with cheapo media before you buy them... that's why i bought the Pioneer dv333 for pretty expensive couple years ago (~$170) because of the quality. don't expect these recent cheapo $30 Apex, minitec, etc... dvd players to be able to handle cheaper media very well...you get what you paid for (referrig to DVD player)

----------

also, how are ppl treating their discs?? there was a big thread on DVD media longevity in general awhile back...they had links to other DVD media forums...i took a look at the other forum because i was interested.

there were some interesting statements on media care i wasn't aware off...not sure the validity....cuz they're not my statements, but here they are:

1) media should be stored vertically, NOT horizontally...dunno the reason that was stated..but there was one...something about warping..i think...

2) cheap jewel cases are NOT good storage for media...since you may accidentally bend the disc a little bit to pop it from the jewel case...that seems to cause undue stress on the media...

3) archival vs. continuous use.... i personally use DVD-R for archival uses...meaning..watching once in a very long while...if the disc is gonna be inside the DVD player for quite sometime, the ambient temperature of the DVD player may have adverse affects on the dye...

....this is all, of course, in addition to no scratches, sunlight, extreme temperature, dust, dirt, etc....not all of those ppl who complian about Princos are careful enough with their media.

----------

Originally Posted by defense
    Oh, and by the way...check out this link to the same site you linked (yesbuy.) The cheapest 4X DVD-R disks they sell are those Princo at 93 cents, but look at this link.

They are selling their chepeast 4x DVD+R media for 88 cents a piece. So I guess your theory there is shot down too.
    no..their cheapest "4X" DVD-R media is...

4X generic $0.82/each + free shipping
    http://www.yesbuy.net/4xdvdr100pcs1.html

both the cheapo "4X" DVD-R and DVD+R are generic, silver-topped.... yet, the DVD+R is 6 cents more expensive...that may not seem much, but if you buy 100, that would be $6 difference....$60 difference for 1000 discs...and that doesn't factor in tax, if applicable...

------------

You might want to test all of your princo disks again...because you may not be as fortunate as you think.
    took your advise...checked the first 2 Princos i burned awhile back (maybe 4 months ago) no problems whatsoever...including the "outer edge" problem...none of that either...one of the 2 Princos i tested was burnt to the very edge..and i specifically played those files on the edge on my pioneer dv333...no problems...not even a single block
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by leebo
    PS: All posters of this thread please be sure that when you quote, you quote the ENTIREpost. Do not quote only the relevent parts!
    ...and be sure to wite your PS in a separate post...
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=612641&highlight=#612641
    Only then will we have a chance to beat the record for the longest and most useless thread.
    ...otherwise we can never beat that record!
    JJ

PS: about your human-spider. I told you it could be fixed. How about making a transparent background for her as next lesson.
    Thanks village idiot! I didn't know the correct way to loop it.
    Very heavy, buddy. Use PowerTape....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @poopyhead, you really need to do a search on Princo disks. I know you aren't obviously the only person to burn them successfully, but look at the percentages. For every 2 positive Princo posts you find, you'll see 8 negative. Princo disks have been proven to be of inferior quality. This is no opinion it is fact. If you look it up on this forum alone, you will find the majority of Princo disks have some type of issue or another. Princo disks are also known to be the main disks which have been known to become unreadable over time for several reasons. In addition, the dyes Princo uses are also inferior. The disks just aren't cheaper because Princo feels like making them cheaper. The disks are cheaper because they are absolutely inferior. You may not want to hear that, but it's factual.

You might want to test all of your princo disks again...because you may not be as fortunate as you think. Also, if your standalone player is better with error correction then many others...that may be a reason you aren't noticing the issues as much. Should your standalone player faulter...you may be up shits creek without a paddle. I wouldn't use Princo disks under any circumstances....unless they were free...as were the 4x, 25 I currently have...and I'm damn sure glad I didn't pay for those.

Now as far as the price of +R media goes vs. -R media....if speed isn't the reason that +R media is more expensive on average...then what is it?

Your link to Princo 4x disks doesn't mean anything. Those Princo 4x disks aren't true 4x disks to begin with, and they are BARELY better then the crappiest disks i've ever used...the Shop4tech "MATRIX" disks. How do I know this? Because I have 25 Princo 4x disks under the "DVDPRO" name...I also have about 15 other types of media on hand currently, and the Matrix and Princo are the crappiest by FAR of the two. Neither of them will burn at 4x with the SONY burners nor will they with many other burners. That's why the price of them is so cheap.

Look at the facts. You go to most places and look at 4x DVD-R media and 4X DVD+R media and what do you see? Screw Matrix and Princo...those aren't real 4x disks and can NOT be considered among 4x media. Take ANY of the certified 4x media which will burn consistently @4x. The TDK/MEMOREX, FUJI, SONY, RICOH disks..just to name a few.

Look at those brands of 4x DVD-R AND DVD+R disks and tell me where you see a difference in the price? Now you take the slowest speeds DVD-R disks which would be 1x ....compare that to the lowest speed DVD+R disks..and you simply are NOT comparing apples with apples. You're comparing a disk which burns 1 & 1/2 times the speed of the other....it's obvious which one is going to be more expensive.

I don't think many people have actually thought about the entire speed thing before posting that +R is more expensive because it has some "MAGICAL" presense...lmao....look at the facts man....u compare EQUAL burn speeds between the two formats and you have EQUAL price...you compare lowest speed disks between the two formats...and you are getting what you pay for...a disk which burns 1 and a half times faster then then it's 1x counterpart.

If i'm wrong then why are all the CERTIFIED 4X disks (like some of the ones I mentioned above) basically equal in price between each other? The answer is simple. Because neither of the two are as different as some people would like to believe. As a matter of fact...they are extremely similar. The only significant difference between the LOWEST media in both formats is speed.

If you want a faster computer...you have to pay for it. A 2 ghz processer is more then a 1 ghz processor. If you want a faster car you have to pay for it...if you want a faster printer..you have to pay for it...if you want a faster modem...you have to pay for it....and if you want faster MEDIA...guess what....you have to pay for it.

But like I said...you can't even call these 4x disks being sold as 4x. They aren't true 4x disks..and they MAY burn in 1 DVD BURNER out of 12 different brands of DVD BURNERS at 4x, so these companies try to lure you in. I've already mentioned this on other posts. If you want True 4x media, you have to look for the media which specifies "CERTIFIED" 4X.

Like that, tompika.

The ENTIRE post!
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by leebo
    Like that, tompika.

The ENTIRE post!
    no kidding...
    really
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok this thread has been pulled WAY off topic, either stop it or I'll lock it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LOL!!!!!!! This is the reason why I have not purchased a dvd-burner yet. The electronic industry couldn't agree upon 1 format. So therefore we have 2 different formats for dvds. I'm waiting until the prices for dual dvd burners and dvd media gets cheaper. Then perhaps it will be worth purchasing one. I'm happy for now to back up my dvd movies on cd'r's as SVCD's. COMPUSA had a July 4th special last month on blank MEMOREX CD-R's. Three-30 PACK SPINDLES sold for $7.99 There was no limit too. LOL! I purchased 12 of them for $32.00, 360 blank cd-r's What a sweet deal that was!!!!!!

I was surprised to see Sony introduce the first dual format dvd burners. But then again I think Sony has learned from their BETA vs VHS war of the 1980's. I still say the Beta picture quality was much more superb vs a VHS. I'm a tech geek and been thru the Beta & Laserdisc eras. Sorry I went off the topic there. LONG LIVE TECH GEEKS LIKE ME!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by budz
    This is the reason why I have not purchased a dvd-burner yet. The electronic industry couldn't agree upon 1 format. So therefore we have 2 different formats for dvds. I'm waiting until the prices for dual dvd burners and dvd media gets cheaper. Then perhaps it will be worth purchasing one.
    i highly doubt that there will ever be an agreement (unity) b/w the 2 formats...guess what.. it's all about GREED. if they unite, individual royalties goes down...

so, by the time you do decide to get a DVD burner, blue ray/laser will already be out by then...

------

the format wars are pointless....as most DVD players supports both formats..so, it doesn't really matter...if your current one doesn't...spend $30 and get yourself an Apex that does support both formats.

----

btw, there have been plenty of DVD media deals lately....again, i mentioned about the DVD-R media being as low as $0.71/each...i think that's already low enough...dunno if media can get any lower....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    LOL!!!!!!! This is the reason why I have not purchased a dvd-burner yet. The electronic industry couldn't agree upon 1 format. So therefore we have 2 different formats for dvds. I'm waiting until the prices for dual dvd burners and dvd media gets cheaper. Then perhaps it will be worth purchasing one. I'm happy for now to back up my dvd movies on cd'r's as SVCD's. COMPUSA had a July 4th special last month on blank MEMOREX CD-R's. Three-30 PACK SPINDLES sold for $7.99 There was no limit too. LOL! I purchased 12 of them for $32.00, 360 blank cd-r's What a sweet deal that was!!!!!!

I was surprised to see Sony introduce the first dual format dvd burners. But then again I think Sony has learned from their BETA vs VHS war of the 1980's. I still say the Beta picture quality was much more superb vs a VHS. I'm a tech geek and been thru the Beta & Laserdisc eras. Sorry I went off the topic there. LONG LIVE TECH GEEKS LIKE ME!!!!!
    you are missing out

if you are waiiting for somebody to win on this site.......

i will see you in 10 years

+ had conquered the gap way quicker than -r have

they both work

i dare anytbody tro find a dvd player
    that won't play a disc that i burned

maybe a laser disc player

if somebody has an issue of about the price i pay for +r as oppose to -r

you can pay my bills instead of me

because last time i checked

i wasn't suffering about my bills

+r cut into my 40 once money.

LOL
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by vance43211
    + had conquered the gap way quicker than -r have
    speaking as a -R supporter who's trying to be more neutral, i can see that we're gonna get along juuuuuuuuuust fine :P
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by vance43211
    i dare anytbody tro find a dvd player
    that won't play a disc that i burned
    Well said vance43211
    Same here.

Since NicW made DVDInfo Pro we are able to set ANY booktype on Ricoh type burners. I guess we have a kinda DUAL burner now....

And since I buy my Ritek(RicohJPN)x2.4, x4 for a dollar a piece from a "friend"
    I don't give a $hit if you can burn the $hitty $.80 princo1x in 60min

PS. and spiceboy, there is no such thing as UDF 1.05, but you know that already...
    Quote Quote  
  21. An interesting application, but as I stated once before, if the compatibility of the media is really that good, settings such as these that mean nothing to your average person shouldn't need to be changed to "improve" compatibility.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  22. Listen vitualis.

The facts:
    The player that can play a dual-layer hollywood movie is phisically able to play DVD+R/W but some manufacturers just would not implement the plus booktype into the player's firmware so they can shout that the compatibility of plus is not good.
    Bitsetting is the answer.
    It's that simple.
    And I already told you a dual Sony and a Dual NEC(HP) can't burn as a Ricoh can.

And you must have sooo much DVDburning experience when having no DVD burner. I can't see any in your profile. Or you do it at work?
    Quote Quote  
  23. @tompika,

you really need to calm down...this is getting way into your head...

Originally Posted by tompika
    PS. and spiceboy, there is no such thing as UDF 1.05, but you know that already...
    i could care less...there's no need to correct me...

you might as well go back and correct all the old posts (including several by the mods) that mention 1.05 instead of 1.50. when one of the major burning proggies states 1.05, instead of 1.50, well...that tends to get pretty established...so, it will forever more be assumed that 1.05 means 1.50. happy now?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Yeah man I'm happy now.

However no major burning proggie burn 1.05 or 1.50 at this time.
    They all do 1.02

I have Nero 5.5.8.5 from LAST YEAR on CD and it says 1.50 too.
    And its DVDVideo templ. already burns 1.02.

You really need to update sometimes

And if some mods need to be more knowledgeable....hmmm.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm actually tired of the "my +R is just as cheap as you -R rant". Why? Because it's just not true. Not yet at least.

Sure, there are exceptions. But when NOT on sale, and NOT with rebates, the +R discs are just too derned expensive. And the stores are not where -R buyers shop. I've gone over this before. The -R demographic shops online, primarily, not in the local consumer electronics store (which is mostly low-grade crap and video games).

I want my discs now. I could never be a +R buyer, as I don't want to scour the ads every Sunday morning, rush to the store, hoping the discs are in stock, and still not know what the media codes are until I get home. I need mine now, at a price that's good, and with a name I can trust. I can't wait a week for Best Buy to decide it's time for a good sale. That's just not how a majority of -R buyers think (as we are often professionals, video hobbiests, and businesses whereas most +R users are casual users and families).
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  26. @ poopyhead, I sent you a PM regarding some of the "off topic" portions of this thread. However, as far the price goes for DVD+R media vs. -R media, that still is on topic..because it relates to the hoopla with this -R +R war.

First, you said in your earlier posts that DVD+R media can NOT be purchased cheap. Come on man, I posted a link for 4X DVD+R media at a mere .88 cents a piece. Admit it...you were shocked when I posted that link because you had never seen +R media that cheap before. Now you are trying to compare it to the same generic DVD-R 4x media and talk about a measly 6 cents. Come on....we're talking pennies here man...let's not B.S. You were making it a point that +R media was 40-60 cents higher then -R media..and I explained why. I then posted the link and now you are talking about a measly 6 cents.

Like I told you...look at ALL THE CERTIFIED 4X MEDIA out there.....don't take my word...LOOK AT IT....all the 4X DVD-R prices are EQUAL on average to the same 4x DVD+R prices...why is this? If DVD+R is more expensive, then please explain to me why I can purchase countless types of media ...and THE HIGHEST QUALITY OF MEDIA AT THAT...in BOTH the DVD-R and DVD+R for the SAME, EXACT PRICE. WHY?

The reason is because it's basically the SAME MEDIA....all these format wars are garbage and worthless and just a waste of time...that's why.

Now, you want to really know why on yesbuy's site has the same media @4x but sells their +R media for a "MEASLY" six cents more? I'll tell you why. Because -R still sells more units world wide then does +R. DVD-R has been around longer and sells more units...plain and simple. It's the same exact reason that most of these retailers do NOT have as many sales on -R media as they do +R. Why would you put something on sale which sells like hot cakes day in and day out anyway? Of course there will be sales to compete with other retailers...but DVD+R media simply doesn't sell as much as DVD-R media, and that my friend is another FACT. I'll post world sales if you'd like and you can see the huge disparity among the two formats. Point being that DVD+R is considered more of a "speciality" item and they know that the majority of people who only buy +R media are those with +R burners. They already sell a boat load of -R media so they can cut their costs a little and lower their prices due to sheer numbers. They know if you have a dual format drive then chances are you're gonna purchase the cheaper DVD-R media anyway...but if you don't...your stuck with spending a mere 6 cents more.

But that's the answer as to why you will see such a minute difference here and there on +R media prices vs. -R media prices. If I were yesbuy.net i'd probably do the same thing. You know for every 5 people...four of them are going to purchase -R media so you can make more per disk being competitive and selling that same -R media less expensive as other online sites. Bottom line is that it's becoming more and more apparent that the two formats are extremely similiar and hopefully people will wake up and stop fabricating things to please themselves. The majority of pepope who argue until the death on this thing are the ones who have single format burners and are trying to convince themselves one format isn't going to die out. It's really a joke to say the least...if people would spend the time and get the facts..do the research...realize how similar these two formats are...they'd realize they spent way too much time posting inaccuracies and worthless garbage.

8)
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'd like to find good media for a reasonable price here, in Brazil. Here, a good media can't be found for below US$ 7.
    If i import from the american sites, handling + transport + tax will make total price becomes 3x more expensive.
    Does anybody know where I can buy good medias at reasonable price here?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reason there will NEVER be one format standard is because all these industries are run by MEN.

Everyone here knows men have a weird macho thing that extends to everything they do and produce. By giving in and saying "yours is just as good or better", man seems to think he's giving up his virility somehow.

It's a caveman thing leftover from the dawn of man (like the tail bone).
    This is why this thread has such a good chance of breaking the DVDrhelp record for longest thread - most of the posters are male!

Of course, things wouldn't be any better if the drives were made by women. Instead of a format war it would be a "Ours are the prettiest burners" war.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Oh, so you're a female, sweetheart
    That explains everything

If I knew you were a girl I wouldn't come out that hard.

Apologies, honey.....

BTW the successful female politicians and business-women I know are all merciless and cruel.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by txpharoah
    I'm actually tired of the "my +R is just as cheap as you -R rant". Why? Because it's just not true. Not yet at least.

Sure, there are exceptions. But when NOT on sale, and NOT with rebates, the +R discs are just too derned expensive. And the stores are not where -R buyers shop. I've gone over this before. The -R demographic shops online, primarily, not in the local consumer electronics store (which is mostly low-grade crap and video games).

I want my discs now. I could never be a +R buyer, as I don't want to scour the ads every Sunday morning, rush to the store, hoping the discs are in stock, and still not know what the media codes are until I get home. I need mine now, at a price that's good, and with a name I can trust. I can't wait a week for Best Buy to decide it's time for a good sale. That's just not how a majority of -R buyers think (as we are often
    professionals, video hobbiests, and businesses whereas most +R users are casual users and families).
    i just walk into microcenter

if one +r media brand isn't on sale, another one is

every week

another thing, their -r media is the same way

and their prices are the same
    Quote Quote