VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have heard mixed reviews some people say don't use them on DVD-R's because they will be less likely to play, others say doesn't make a difference.
    Anyone have any info?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I simply write on mine with a black SHARPIE brand marker.

I would never put a label on it.

If you want a label THAT badly then there are some PRINTERS out there that can PRINT right on the DVD but then you need to buy special blanks to use with the PRINTER and you will probably end up spending more money on those special blanks than other "normal" media.

Not worth it if you ask me.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. nearly 3 years of labeling media w/ markers and those rectangular address labels...

no problems...

this is MY personal experience...as some may differ...

--------

btw, if you use sticky labels of any kind..make sure you get it right the first time...cuz if you try to peel off the sticky label...you may accidentally peel off the top layer...
    Quote Quote  
  4. I simply go to http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0784011338/qid=1036580746/sr=1-5/ref=sr_...52736?v=glance where I get a nice high rez picture of the DVD cover art, then use that to make a professional looking label. I have over 300 DVD labeled this way and so far not a single problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Bob W.

Whoa! So you have 300 DVD's labeled "Millennium?"

Quote Quote  
  6. I label all of mine with no problem. I think you would only have issues with slot loaders....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Trust_No_1
    Bob W.

Whoa! So you have 300 DVD's labeled "Millennium?"

I do like that movie but not that much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't do it. I learned the hard way.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I learned the hard way.
    you tried to peel off the label, didn't you? :P
    Quote Quote  
  10. as dvds run hotter than cds
    a newly applied label is fine
    played a few times the label seems to shift
    making them out of balance
    labelling just aint worth it
    get a box of coloured OHP pens and get artistic
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poopyhead
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I learned the hard way.
    you tried to peel off the label, didn't you? :P
    They pealed off in the player.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    wow...sorry to hear that.....player still works??

i've actually had that happen in my CD-ROM

good thing CD-RW drives were getting really cheap then...so i just shelled out $20 to get a 32X burner to replace that stupid CD-ROM...

yea..i learned my lesson to...i make sure the labels are stuck firmly to the disc...and no edges are sticking up...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by thayne
    I label all of mine with no problem. I think you would only have issues with slot loaders....
    Lots of people, including myself have had problems with labelling media and tray loaders.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I recently bought a Casio CW-50 Disk Title printer and tried it on DVDs. I have problem with a couple of the DVDs that I burned after printing. It is not recommended that you print on the DVD after burning. I would like to hear from anyone their experience with this printer.
    The DVD that I borrow from the library here all have a transparent label applied to them and I don't seem to have problem playing them. On one side of the disk, it even has an anti-theft strip applied.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A couple of DVD's I've hired in the past have had clear labels on them as well but had no problems playing...

There seems to be mixed feelings with labels on DVD-R's...I haven't seen any problems myself but as they say, where there is smoke, there is fire.

Probably best to be cautious....if someone makes a foolproof DVD label in the future then you can use them...
    "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Bartman 8)
    Quote Quote  
  16. I use a sharpie too, but you know what? the sharpie people say not to...

Circuitcity.com has a free after rebates label machine right now if you want to play around.

riteaid has 2 sharpies for $1.50 now
    Quote Quote  
  17. I kinda wonder if it has more to do with how carefull the label is applied, and how cheap the labels are made.

I've put down now about 60+ labels and never one problem that I didn't cause myself.

It's easy to scratch the DVD, or not line things up, etc. If put on properly, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've heard some say the DVD's get hotter. I have a hard time understanding that unless it's during the Burn process. I never label until I have a properly working DVD-R already burned to start with. I've never felt any significant warmth coming out of my home DVD players after playback.

Perhaps this is a problem when frequently playing on a PC? PC's in general generate a bunch more heat, and thier drives generally have faster spin rates. I've never watched a DVD-R movie on my PC (why would I with a 55" HDTV? 8) ) so I guess I'd never run into this problem if it's a PC-induced one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poopyhead
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    wow...sorry to hear that.....player still works??
    i've actually had that happen in my CD-ROM
    good thing CD-RW drives were getting really cheap then...so i just shelled out $20 to get a 32X burner to replace that stupid CD-ROM...
    yea..i learned my lesson to...i make sure the labels are stuck firmly to the disc...and no edges are sticking up...
    I used ultra-thin "DVD" labels, not CD labels, and the glue just sucks. The disc played fine. But an hour into the movie, it started to act up. The heat peeled the label off. I was able to pull most of it off. One disc died, two more are fine, with partial labels still on them. Player is fine, a Toshiba 2800, sturdy player. The rest I used on CDs.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I created a wedding compilation DVD for family members. Got it all put together, tested each of the copies to make sure they worked fine, labelled them and sent them out. All but one had to be returned and replaced. With the labels on the video would freeze every so often while the cache caught up. I am assuming that the label slowed down the spinning enough that the cache wasn't always able to keep up.

Learned my lesson, reburned 5 DVD's and sent them out with no labels. No problems.

I still would like labels though, but I am waiting until someone developes a better quality DVD only label. I never had problems with these labels on CD's, just DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I only use Sure Thing hub labels. Just print the title and stick them on. They cover the inner hub of the disc. No getting hot or coming off. They look real nice on almost any disc, printed rather than hand written. Can print colors too. Check them out. www.surething.com

http://www.surething.com/ST/Category.asp?CatCode=CD_LABELER_HUB
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with Bugande.

Star Trek: Nemesis
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I recently had to remove about 75+ full-face labels from DVD's (with a hair dryer) because it caused problems reading. I replaced them with the standard Neato labels using a label applicator and they all work fine. I made 3 26 disc sets and none are having problems with the standard Neato labels. However, I don't try the full-face labels again.
    Quote Quote  
  23. My vote goes with Tommyknocker and Bugande
    Quote Quote  
  24. I ahve been using hub labels for a while for my clients when I do their home video conversions. You can pick up 520 hub labels for $9.95 at www.surething.com (or go to compusa and but them for $10 for 60'ish.

THey are great.
    Quote Quote