VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Kangaroo Jack is giving me problems backing up. First off DVDBackup won't decrypt title track 2. So, I used Osex to decrypt the movie to a DVD image (DVD folders NEVER work with Osex for me). When I run the VIDEO_TS folder from that decrypted DVD image (copied to hard drive) through DVD2OneX (disck copy), it gets to the point of almost finishing then barks that "VTS_04_0.IFO is missing". There's not supposed to even be a VTS_04!!! Even on the original DVD there isn't a VTS_04!!! I just don't get it. I even re-installed the latest version DVD2OneX. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe try decrypting the movie again using an app in virtual pc? Help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a relatively new release on dvd. It could be loaded with new encryption styles.

1. try copying the disk to your HD using OPTION-DRAG, then backup the HD VIDEO_TS fodler thats 7+ gigs.
    2. Try using the old OS9 DVD Extractor. it works well for these buggy disks.

other than that, im out of options
    Quote Quote  
  3. How do I use DVD Extractor? I have it and tried to use it, but I'm not sure what to do. Seems like it extracts the files to a different format. I thought about using it to extract the title track 2 that DVDBackup would skip. The files even look different in the Extractor window as far as the way they are named. Any help would be great.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't have a problem, but I usually make movie only discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah, Movie Only works fine... however, I want a full backup of this movie. The kids like to watch deleted scenes and stuff and I want a full backup of this DVD. Kids are very prone to scratching DVDs. If someone could tell me extactly what I should do with the title that DVDBackup is having trouble with when I open the DVD with DVD Extractor in classic mode. DVDBackup says there is an error with title set 2 and asks me to skip it. Osex did the entire disk fine as a disk image, but DVD2OneX claims that "VTS_04_0.IFO is missing" which is really dumb since there isn't even supposed to be one there in the first place. I think if I let DVDBackup skip title set 2 then maybe use DVD Extractor in classic to decrypt it, DVD2OneX might work fine. I hope. I just need to know how to use DVD Extractor since the file names it shows are in a different format and the file names it exports are different.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure this will help, but when DVDBackup has a problem with a particular title. I was under the impression it was because the DVD changed encryption keys. On a PC the ripper asks if you want to try to use the same key for that title or skip it. For the Mac I play the problem title in DVD Player before I use DVDBackup, somethings this makes the encryption key for that particlar title available to DVDBackup (?, I'm not too clear on why this seems to work, but give it a try. It won't hurt )
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'll give that a shot. I was also told to re-install DVD Backup. I have a buddy that says he's had problems with DVDBackup on certain titles and after a re-install it works. I'll try that as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One more thing to try is to set OSEx to refresh the key every VOB, by going into the options, and setting the key refresh rate from title to VOBU. Then, do the DVD Image extraction and see if it made a difference. The error you got indicates that this is not the problem, however, and I'd blame it on strange authoring practices. Answer me this: is the missing VTS set at the end of the DVD (is 3 the last number)? If so, have you tried playing the VIDEO_TS folder from DVD2OneX with DVD Player? It might still work despite the error. If there is no VTS 4 set on the original, and all the VTS sets are there that should be, you might be fine even though DTOX gave you an error. If the output VIDEO_TS folder from DTOX works fine with DVD Player, you might be golden. If there are VTS sets missing in the output VIDEO_TS folder, you might try just copying them from the DVD Image's VIDEO_TS folder to the DTOX output one, if there is enough room left.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  9. The error in DTOX happens immediately upon start. The missing TS would be at the end (3 is the last on the disk). NONE of the above worked. I'm on the verge of giving up on this one. Since no one can help me figure out DVD Extractor and after reading info on the net, I don't think it works the same way as DVD Backup. I mean it wil save a VOB, but it's got a different name AND I don't know which file to extract in the first place. DVD Extractor calls them tracks. I have even tried the DVD with DVD Shrink on the PC and it comes up with an "unknown error". Any other ideas???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For DVD Extractor, you have to boot into OS 9.x or 8.x and run the app w/ a DVD in the drive, and choose 'Save as Image' or whatever similar option in the 'File' menu, and it'll save a toast image for you. You can use Toast to mount it, or rename it to .dmg in osx and use disc copy to mount it and then try DTOX.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you for the instructions. It must be because I was running it in classic mode. Save as image isn't in the menu. The files on the DVD show up in the lists. Oh well, my Mac doesn't boot into 9 anyway. The good news is I finally got it to run through DTOX. What I did was save it as an decrypted image from Osex. I then ran it through DVDBackup and let it skip the to VOBs for title set 2. Copied the two missing VOBs from the Osex generated image into the DVDBackup generated VIDEO_TS folder. It ran through DTOX in disk copy mode without a hitch. I tested it on the Apple DVD player and am burning it in toast as we speak. WOOHOO! I think I'll burn a couple copies for the kids to destroy.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Worked like a charm in my Sony DVD player.
    "May the Force be with you!"
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've found that a major hangup in DVDBackup is when you try to reset the region code, when doing that, I would have trouble with maybe 2 out of 10 DVD's, leave it alone and it's fine.

The real question though, is WHY you would want a copy of THAT particular flick....???
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'll try leaving the region coding as is next time I have trouble with a certain movie. As far as WHY I would want to copy that flick, well, myself being into character animation, I enjoyed it. I also thought parts of the film were rather funny. The kids love it and that was the important factor. Kids are terrible for DVDs too! They can scratch the sh!t out of them and as we all know, DVD players are much more sensative to scratches than audio CD players.
    "May the Force be with you!"
    Quote Quote