VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm having a major problem with playing .mpg files

- They are MPG1 files, and I used to be able to play them
    - Running Win2000, alot of codecs, WinDVD, MS Media Player 9
    - Tried various MPG files, some of them work, some of them don't.

The ones that don't, Media Player's slide bar sees them as 1:04 in length, regardless of how long they really are. If I play it in PoweDVD player, the thing runs at like 2X. If I slow it down to 1/2X, it's too slow. WTF? (Though, it's slidebar recognizes the entire length of the MPG).

I checked the properties tab in Media Player, and it displays the file as MPG1 format, at 1:04 minutes long.

Anyone have any ideas? It's not a corrupted MPG file, since I have more than one MPG file that does this

Please help, it's really annoying!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm guessing your MPG decoder got corrupted. Do a system file check.

- Gurm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gurm -

can you go into more detail?
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
  4. HI,

Give WinDVD a go at those files.

Cheers,
    feeras
    Quote Quote  
  5. What you need to do is download Gspot (link in the Tools section), load up one of the files you are having problems with, then click on render at the bottom of the app. What we need to find out is what decoder is being used by Direcshow to render the MPEG video. Also, make sure that these are MPEG1 files and not MPEG2.

I suspect that a third party MPEG decoder has been installed by an application without your knowledge. Roxio DVD Creator installs the Ligos Decoder, which I have had great luck with, but those with differing configurations such as you most likely may encounter problems with it. Other applications contain different decoders. Gspot will be able to tell you what decoder is being used.

Let me know,

Prospero
    Quote Quote