VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    When did the moderator's stop making a final post in a thread advising why it was to be locked?
    Is this yet another policy change or just a lack of respect to the thread starter?
    Will Hay
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Will Hay
    When did the moderator's stop making a final post in a thread advising why it was to be locked?
    Is this yet another policy change or just a lack of respect to the thread starter?
    Will Hay
    I think I know what one you're talking about Will. I'm not sure why some folks are getting so bent out of shape lately.. ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have noticed a couple of those recently. I always notify in a thread if I lock it. But there is no policy in place stipulating that this should necessarily be the case. Most of the time it is self explanitory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    I have noticed a couple of those recently. I always notify in a thread if I lock it. But there is no policy in place stipulating that this should necessarily be the case. Most of the time it is self explanitory.
    Yeah, I know, but like yourself I think it's common courtesy to explain why.
    Not all moderator's think like you Craig.
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I always leave one too...

The moderator witchhunt is on!

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect we'll never find the perpetrator of these eveil deeds the dark one will never confess his crimes (but I have my suspicions! )
    Will Hay
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I'm missing something, what threads are we talking about here?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flaystus
    Maybe I'm missing something, what threads are we talking about here?
    You're not missing anything, the specific threads are irrelevant.
    The principle remains the same.

Will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i locked a few without an explaination --- but the reason was so obvious as for why they were locked (i thought) ... if you point out some of these i will add a post to mollify those that are shaken by this and maybe even losing sleep over it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    if you point out some of these i will add a post to mollify those that are shaken by this and maybe even losing sleep over it.
    I actually wrote a response to this and then cleared it before hitting 'submit'.
    You know, I just can't be arsed with comments such as this.
    W.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will --- it is lighthearted humour, jocularity with no bite... where did everyones sense of mirth go ?
    I apologize sincerely to you if it came across any other way or was misconstrued as to being flippant to you personally (it really was not)..

And i did mean it -- if you send me a link on which threads - i will add a comment (i closed two i believe without an explaination) ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    Will --- it is lighthearted humour, jocularity with no bite... where did everyones sense of mirth go ?
    I apologize sincerely to you if it came across any other way or was misconstrued as to being flippant to you personally (it really was not)..

And i did mean it -- if you send me a link on which threads - i will add a comment (i closed two i believe without an explaination) ..
    That's why I'm a big fan of .......
    ..... 's
    no offence taken, I simply get tired of the same old thing here (but appreciate your intent)
    Will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I typically leave a final comment explaining why I close a topic. Explinations will help the author of the post know why it was closed and help the to avoid doing it again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes I do find the reason or reasons for a thread to be locked and now closed as obvious when I read them. Sometimes I can see the rules being breached in some of them such as abuse, threatening and hateful responses by some members here. We don’t want a flame war here.

At times, I don't think it is always appropriate by moderators to give out reasons. Such as this thread: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=170736 and better to leave as unsaid.

Just accept as now closed with or without any reason given.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chriscjgs
    Sometimes I do find the reason or reasons for a thread to be locked and now closed as obvious when I read them. Sometimes I can see the rules being breached in some of them such as abuse, threatening and hateful responses by some members here. We don’t want a flame war here.

At times, I don't think it is always appropriate by moderators to give out reasons. Such as this thread: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=170736 and better to leave as unsaid.

Just accept as now closed with or without any reason given.
    I tottaly disagree with everything you have just said.
    A comment such as 'sorry guys, this thread is going nowhere' is common courtesy and does much to negate any potential bad feeling.
    I'd be pissed if I was attacked in a thread, it was locked without warning and I wasn't given the opportunity to defend myself (in a constructive manner).
    If I'd seen that the thread had been locked purely on the basis of some idiots bad mouth then I'd be fine with that.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They could use this:

for those threads that require locking for obvious reasons.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Will Hay
    I'd be pissed if I was attacked in a thread, it was locked without warning and I wasn't given the opportunity to defend myself (in a constructive manner). Will
    Too bad, Will. You have to PM the offending attacker. Threads do get locked and closed without warning all the time, Will. There isn't much you can do. You can complain to one of the mods.

I got annoyed once when my thread was locked and closed without warning so you aren't the only one mate. This was on another forum in Australia. So, I know how you feel.

Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chriscjgs
    I'd be pissed if I was attacked in a thread, it was locked without warning and I wasn't given the opportunity to defend myself (in a constructive manner). Will
    Too bad, Will. You have to PM the offending attacker. Threads do get locked and closed without warning all the time, Will. There isn't much you can do. You can complain to one of the mods.

I got annoyed once when my thread was locked and closed without warning so you aren't the only one mate. This was on another forum in Australia. So, I know how you feel.

Chris
    Hi Chris, how are you?
    It doesn't really bother me I don't get the last say, I'd just like to know it was stopped for a genuine reason and not because some moderator didn't like the tone.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by BJ_M
    This good ol' boy ain't real sure what "jocularity" and "mirth" are but I bet it has something to do with tempers lately. Is it me or does it seem everyone is on edge about something? Gosh people, just stop by your local McDonalds every once in a while and get a "smile." They're free you know...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fmctm1sw
    Gosh people, just stop by your local McDonalds every once in a while and get a "smile." They're free you know...
    But Happy Meals to cost money
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I leave a comment based on why im locking it. Ive seen a few that have been locked with no comment. Personally, if anything happens (move, split, lock) id like to know why its was moved split locked, so I leave my reasons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by galactica
    I leave a comment based on why im locking it. Ive seen a few that have been locked with no comment. Personally, if anything happens (move, split, lock) id like to know why its was moved split locked, so I leave my reasons.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I lock and run.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    I lock and run.
    The guilty party has turned himself in!!
    Quote Quote  
  25. I think it's a good idea to give a reason why the thread was locked. While most people are smart enough to figure out why a thread might be locked, some people (like myself) aren't much sharper than a bowling ball some of the time and might not understand what happened. Or worse, they may think they did something that caused the thread to be locked.

Remember, I'm the one that thought The Village Idiot had five yellow cards until he changed his avatar to the Jolly Roger. Like I said, not the sharpest bowling ball in the alley.

I'd be pissed if I was attacked in a thread, it was locked without warning and I wasn't given the opportunity to defend myself (in a constructive manner).
    I completely agree with this; talk about a way to cause disagreements to spill over into another thread! And that serves nobody's interests.

Just my two cents.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgpo
    I lock and run.
    Ban him tgpo, ban him
    I dare ya'
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by tgpo
    I lock and run.
    @ tgpo,

one day my member status will read "rgb(0,0,128)" and I promise to force every mod to explain their action.
    *** My computer can beat me at chess, but is no match when it comes to kick-boxing. ***
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Will Hay
    Originally Posted by tgpo
    I lock and run.
    Ban him tgpo, ban him
    I dare ya'
    Will
    I already tried that once, cant do it as he is an administrator.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator Baldrick

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick, You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned.
    / Moderator Craig Tucker

He did it, not me.

Quote Quote