VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Jo but nothing I do will initiate a download from any Nero site.

If you have a magic formula or know the magic button, please post back.

Bogie
    " I am NOT unemployed, I am a consultant!"
    Quote Quote  
  2. anyone review this yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bogie
    Thanks Jo but nothing I do will initiate a download from any Nero site.

If you have a magic formula or know the magic button, please post back.

Bogie

ftp://ftp.us.nero.com/nero6009.exe
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by mysticgohan17
    anyone review this yet.
    Here is a review from the NY Times dated July 24th. The reviewer is comparing Nero 6.0 against Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Creator 6. Since space is a consideration, I only included the most relevant parts:

Software Rivals Vie for Pain-Free Burning
    By WILSON ROTHMAN

Off the bat, it's clear that Roxio and Nero have different philosophies. Roxio is geared to simple, straightforward tasks and includes colorful animated tutorials, but the program itself is a bit plodding and at times unstable. Nero is noticeably smoother and faster and offers more flexibility in many cases, but it takes more getting used to. (In fact, because Nero's elements have to be installed individually, it's easy to skip over some of its richest offerings; it's best to install it in its entirety and then let Nero's StartSmart point you to the right tools.)

This odd-couple difference is visible in one function after another. When I built DVD menu pages on the two programs, Roxio immediately offered 20 menu template choices, complete with animated backgrounds and pleasant music. The templates are attractive, thematic, at times cute or hilarious - but never customizable. You can change the font and text size of the title and button names, but you cannot change the position of buttons or text, even when they're graphically in the least desirable location.

Nero is the opposite: I could move everything on the menu page, and loop in video and audio. But there were no one-click animated templates. Nero gave me total creative control, but almost no creative assistance.

Both programs met my more basic demands. One way to impress relatives is to combine a home movie with a photo and music slide show, all written to one DVD. Both Nero and Roxio can handle that, from video and photo capture all the way through to burning (and they can burn any format of CD or DVD recordable disc that your PC's disc writer may use). But while Nero's video options are more thorough, including funky effects and text titling, Roxio provides more photo options, like the ability to edit individual pictures and archive all the original photos on the disc along with the slide show's video file.

Still photography is where Roxio eclipses Nero. The Nero 6 box is direct: "Edit your photos. Crop, clean up and add special effects." But what you get to edit is not photo files, but only what will appear in the video slide show of your photos.

The opposite is true in the area of data backup. If you get the jitters when you see "hard drive" and "crash" in the same sentence, you should look into Nero 6. Its BackItUp program, which can dump data not only on CD's or DVD's but also local and network drives, lets you schedule a variety of automated backups; Roxio does not.

In the music department, to quote Natalie Imbruglia, I'm torn. Both of these developers know that their core audience will continue to be teenagers who do not own a store-bought CD but will not leave the house without a CD Walkman.

In Creator 6, Roxio introduced AudioCentral, a powerful and uncharacteristically sleek jukebox that's easily on par with the popular MusicMatch Jukebox. Both AudioCentral and Nero's NeroMIX allow you to create radio-style mix CD's, with cross fading and volume leveling to balance out overly loud MP3's. But by contrast, NeroMIX is dowdy and dysfunctional. You can save playlists, but there is no master library index from which to pull music, so you have to dip into the My Music folder every time.

Another strike against Nero is that its MP3 encoding is not free - that is to say, after you have ripped 30 tracks from CD to MP3, the MP3 demo encoder expires and you have to pay $15 for a full plug-in at www.nero.com. (MP3 encoders are also available free at various Web sites, but they may run afoul of patent holders' rights.) Windows iPodders note: Nero does include a full-version encoder for ripping smaller, higher-quality, iPod-ready tracks in the A.A.C. format favored by Apple.

When digitizing music from cassette tapes and LP's, either program automatically detects tracks by searching for the gaps between songs and assigns track numbers on the burned disc. Both throw in some equalizers and effects, although only Nero includes a de-hiss feature for particularly noisy tapes. (If you want to add tape hiss and the snap, crackle and pop of vinyl, Roxio's Maturizer audio filter is fun and easy to use.)

For musicians interested in digital recording, a good place to start might be Nero's SoundTrax application, which comes in the bundle with all of the basic features of pricier multitrack audio programs like Cakewalk and ProTools.

I like both the Roxio and Nero programs, although beginners and photo enthusiasts would generally do better with Roxio, where slightly more experienced users looking for backup software and advanced audio tools would be wise to bet on Nero.
    Many are cold; few are frozen.
    Quote Quote