• I Like To Buy My Movies

512 16.28%
  • I Only Download tgpo's Kung Fu Movies

186 5.92%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. How little you guys know.Slagging off downloaded movies saying the quality is crap obviously you haven't seen the new breed of svcd films that are around or maybe you have but have such slow connection that you can't download them so instead you slag them.
    No I don't think it's a problem to download films and I only bother getting good quality films and if I like it then when the dvd comes out I'll buy it or rent it and rip myself a copy.I do go to the cinema to watch the blockbuster movies like lord of the rings and the matrix as this the best way to veiw these films.
    Downloading from p2p programs like Kazaa ect waste of time and if you guys don't know the better options for downloading films then more fool you.
    I am not going to pay out good money to see a film that turns out to utter crap eg:Bruce Almighty so I'm glad I watched the "poor quality(not)" one 1st.
    Nuff said

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    shoot, i've got some dvd's i made with divx files i got off the next that look IDENTICAL to a dvd.... so dont give me this "quality suck" BS..... i do buy dvd's all the time.... saving private ryan, braveheart, etc.... QUALITY MOVIES... now all this crap like legally blonde and its ilk i just download for my mom or girlfriend and make a pristine dvd.. takes only 2 hours to encode too!

3. I dunno, but I think a well encoded DivX of a movie at around 600-700 MB is great quality.

But as for me, I've never downloaded a movie which I didn't then rent/buy or wouldn't have seen otherwise. So I guess me and the industry are breaking even. As a matter of fact, from seeing some movies online I never would have otherwise, Ive grown a liking to some actors, whose new movies I will be going to see, movies I probably wouldn't have otherwise (Italian Job, Eddie Norton).

Now I think the Recording Industry fucked up pretty bad, they're digging their own grave, but the Movie Industry is in the right place to watch all this and come up a new buisness model to make alot of money. Hopefully they'll choose that instead of hiking up prices & suing customers.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i totally agree with you.... the music industry has done nothing but create a PR nightmare for themselves, out of nothing but sheer greed.... the MPAA can take a hint from the RIAA and try getting with the times and offering a viable way for customers to get what they want online. at a fair price too.

5. Poor theater experiences (such as these) are responsible for my downloading movies. R Rated movies I have downloaded in the past (and didn't see in the theatre) have led me to purchase the DVD. I went to see Bad Boys II twice last weekend. On both occasions there were at least 20 teenagers under the age of 21 trying to get tickets for their friends that couldn't get in. Yet the MPAA are complaining about fewer ticket sales. For such a greedy organization they don't seem to care about getting every dollar possible (in a civil manner).

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    bad boys 2??? you have to be kidding? i would not suffer thru a trash movie like that for 50 bucks.... 2 lame ass no talent actors, and some stunts.... yeah, thats worth 8 bucks.... and you went to see it twice?? ba ha ha ha!!!

Search Comp PM
    Try playing a Divx on an HDTV and then tell me that is looks great.

DivX look fine on a computer screen. Have fun in your office chair and 17" monitor.

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah buddy.... like HDTV is so widespread anyway.... if you can blow 5 grand on a tv, then why are you even replying to this topic?

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I have stated in the past, and will state over again:

There is no such thing as a 1 CD good DivX movie

You can't show me one, as they don't exist. Some are fair. 2 CD DivX/XviD are just fine.

Quality level is a subjective thing. If you only have a 23" TV and a Dolby stereo, then there's virtually no difference between DVD/SVCD/CVD. If you have a 5.1 stereo and a 40" plasma screen, then there is a noticeable difference between CVD and DVD. But the question always is: "Is it good enough to watch?"
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan

Search Comp PM
    The last time I check HDTV's were as low as $1,500. Where are you shopping? I paid $2000 for mine 1 year ago. I can barely watch SVCD on it.

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, let me rephrase..... HDTV programming is very rare for most of the USA.... her in jacksonville, comcast is offering HDTV cable right now..... however, i'm totally fine with my 31"rca tv, and panasonic dvd player..... you may not know this buddy, but you can take a good quality divx file, convert it to mpg2 and burn to dvd!!!! how does that sound to ya? so no, i dont sit and watch on a monitor..... good god, who does??!

12. i dont know why someone would download a 700 mb divx movie when they could just go to the library n rent it FOR FREE. thats what i do.

it just seems like the most logical choice... and thats where your tax money goes anyway, so why not take advantage

13. Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    Quality level is a subjective thing. If you only have a 23" TV and a Dolby stereo, then there's virtually no difference between DVD/SVCD/CVD. If you have a 5.1 stereo and a 40" plasma screen, then there is a noticeable difference between CVD and DVD. But the question always is: "Is it good enough to watch?"
    Thats true, I don't have the most advanced theatre system.
    I would say that well encoded 1 CD DivX movies look at least as good as VHS quality.
    For me, on my computer, thats plenty. If I truly love the movie, I really would need to go for the full experience of high quality DVD + awesome setup.

Originally Posted by fart
    i dont know why someone would download a 700 mb divx movie when they could just go to the library n rent it FOR FREE. thats what i do.
    Actually I have kind of forgotten this option, I should do this more.

14. i have a nice large dvd collection that i am proud of when i show it off to visitors...there is nothing like the original...p2p is crap i agree....with technology the way how it is and dvd's and pay per view rapidly releasing newer movies without much wait, i have been reluctant to go to the theater and just waited for it to come on ppv...back in the day it took way to long to come onto ppv or HBO so everything was a must see at the theater...i guess i am just one of the many who say, "I'll just wait for the DVD to be released for this particular movie..." But in cases like X-men, Spidy, StarWars, T3, definatly must see at the theater....

15. I don't know if copying movies is considered stealing but i know that actors and movie directors are so rich and they are overpaid for their work, so i do copy movies and get them of my friends, but i also go to the theatres and rent movies so i think i am doing my share of paying them.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people, guns just make it a lot easier.

16. Nothing wrong with it
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection

Search Comp PM
    I don't know if copying movies is considered stealing
    but i know that actors and movie directors are so rich and they are overpaid for their work, so i do copy movies and get them of my friends,
    i dont know why someone would download a 700 mb divx movie when they could just go to the library n rent it FOR FREE. thats what i do.
    it just seems like the most logical choice... and thats where your tax money goes anyway, so why not take advantage

I suspect this thread isn't going the way of the author's choosing, but hey, what did you expect man?
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.

18. "FT SHARK ... The last time I check HDTV's were as low as $1,500. Where are you shopping? I paid $2000 for mine 1 year ago. I can barely watch SVCD on it."

Thank God that no-one outside of the US has to worry about HDTV! We are all quite happy with our 625 line analogue systems.

Oh, and if your living room is only 12 foot square, where the hell would you stick a 40" screen anyway!

19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    As I have stated in the past, and will state over again:

You can't show me one, as they don't exist. Some are fair. 2 CD DivX/XviD are just fine.

you are right, I can't show you one as it would be illegal. but I made a backup of my favorite DVD "Memento" in Xvid format just to see what it would look like and since I did it with the highest of settings and 3 pass the quality was perfect

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    If you only have a 23" TV and a Dolby stereo, then there's virtually no difference between DVD/SVCD/CVD.
    Congratulations.
    That is singulaly the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.
    Oh, and that's on the internet, not just on this site.
    I have this setup (okay, my TV is 25") and trust me, you couldn't be further from the truth.
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.

21. I do something like this:

1. Download the movie...

2. Watch it...

3a. If I like it, I'll Buy it (for my collection!!!)
    3b. If I don't like it, what the heck, delete it!!!
    Ditto, my friend, ditto. I also think the mpaa's way of trying to stop video piracy is a far better method than the riaa's (i'm sure you guys have seen the commercial).

Just on a side note, I believe that p2p is far too important to be eradicated. It allows a person to share material that normally wouldn't be available. Sure, it also allows some pretty sick and disgusting stuff to be shared also, but i guess that's just some of the baggage. Anyways, thats my two cents. Feel free to rant and rave.

22. Ever one I know that download's movies still goes out to see them in the theater's. Most of the kids just like to have them when the movie is no long in the theater's they can still watch them at home and they still buy the movie on DVD and the bootleg goes in the trash. Movie bootleg's are not the same as music. I my self like to get out of the house and see a good movie but hollywood has not been making good movie's. Martix 2 Hulk and some movies are just so so. Must of the movie bootleg's are not worth watching the picture suck's. If I had a movie company I would not care about bootleg's if the movie is good people will still go out to see it. I know alot of friends that have the "Lord of the Ring Twin Tower's" on SVCD every one just has it to hold them over until the DVD release and ever one went to the theater to see it now I know this is bootlegging but it's not like people are not paying for the movie's.

23. I see what you guys mean. I am just 14 so I have no money, I cant really justify downloading them but then I cant justify spending 9.00 to go see a really crappy movie. I think they shouldnt pay actors so much money and lower the prices. well thats my two cents.

Search Comp PM
    energy80s wrote......

I buy some movies, I copy some movies and I download some movies. Same with music. No problem with my conscience!!

Same here m8

energy80s also wrote.....

Thank God that no-one outside of the US has to worry about HDTV! We are all quite happy with our 625 line analogue systems

Oh, and if your living room is only 12 foot square, where the hell would you stick a 40" screen anyway

Again i have to agree with ya on this one as well

Over the last few weeks i've notice more people coming onto the forum having download this movie and that movie and how do i convert etc...,

The plain and simple truth is that Warez is a part of the internet, just like the e-mail and no matter if you think it's right or wrong you really can't stop people from doing it.

I agree that to come onto this forum which is an Anti-Warez forum and post questions about how do i convert this downloaded movie and that downloaded movie is wrong and the Aministrator's and Mods should delete the post completely.

I have a DVD-R Screener Of Lord OF The Rings - The Two Towers which i downloaded of the internet at Christamas of last year, but that didn't stop me from going to see it in the Cinema and it won't stop me from buying the Original Special Extended Version which is due for release near this Christmas and i'll be destroying the Screener as soon as i have the Original.

But ask yourself this, out of all the members on this forum how many do you think are using illegal warez of some sort ???, oh i'm sure that there are a lot that will deny using them, but we all no that's a lie .
    I Have Always Been Here

Toshiba Regza 37Z3030D, Toshiba HD XE1 + EP-10 ( Both Multiregioned), Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray. OPPO DV-983H

25. This thread has become way off topic.

If I followed the forum rules explicitly, every second poster would likely be receiving a yellow card towards the end of this thread. However, since tgpo started this thread with good intentions and for the first half those intentions were followed I will simply lock this thread instead.

Please remember to follow the forum rules in future.