VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, Im fairly new to VCD creation etc. The main problem I am having is with still mpeg's, I have wasted so many cdr's tying to correct this problem.

I use Paint Shop Pro to create .jpeg's and then VCDEasy to create the still mpeg, the problem is when I use the 704x576 size for my images when I play the VCD on my tele the top, botton and abit from the sides is 'cut-off' because the image is to big.

And when I use 352x288 .jpeg size the picture is to small, the quality of the picture is perfect but it is just a small box in the middle of the screen.

Please help, its driving me insane lol

:: Also, in Paint Shop, when you select 'new picture' there is an option for the resolution, what should I set this to, at the moment I have put it on 900 becuse it seems to come out at a better quality on my tele ::

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I use a picture format of 640*480 a recommended in VCDeasy.
    This has the correct aspect ratio

A small portion of the picture is not seen on TV - but that's the same for the video.

There is a slider in VCDeasy that allows you to reduce the visible size of your pictures when you create the mpeg still.
    Maybe you can try this?

Markus
    Quote Quote  
  3. Take a look at this post and replies....

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168660

Worked beautifually for me.

Tim
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks been a help, just gonna see if it works now will comment on which worked best 4 me.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for ur suggestions, but still it DONT work....

Ive tried 7 different screen sizes of what the forums and vcd sites have told me but still it does not work, either its 2 big, 2 small or like some of tha sizes suggested in the forum, they are good sizes but not in the center of my TV, its mainly to the left of the screen.

I have tried to use the suggested still image 704 X 576 'Im trying to create a PAL VCD with 4/3 ratio' and it was a fairly good size except for the problem of the picture was mainly to the left.

And with wobisch's suggestion 'thanks for replying' of 640 X 480 it was a little box in tha middle of tha tv screen.

I dont know if its my TV or DVD player thats the problem, Ive got an LG Nete Tv; he he, the 1 with legs and a LG Logix DVD player. If anyone knows of any problems with this if you could please comment.

any more suggestions, plz help
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try this AVISynth script and see if your TV screen is centered:

Code:
    # clip resolution, choose any, eg 320x240, 352x288, 480x576 

x=640 
    y=480 

# the building blocks 

hbar=MessageClip("",x-96,4,false,0,0,$ffffff) 
    vbar=hbar.bilinearresize(8,y) 

# coloring 

hr=hbar.rgbadjust(1,0,0,0) 
    hy=hbar.rgbadjust(1,1,0,0) 
    hb=hbar.rgbadjust(0,0,1,0) 
    hg=hbar.rgbadjust(0,1,0,0) 

vr=vbar.rgbadjust(1,0,0,0) 
    vy=vbar.rgbadjust(1,1,0,0) 
    vb=vbar.rgbadjust(0,0,1,0) 
    vg=vbar.rgbadjust(0,1,0,0) 

# putting them together and add some text 

hall=stackvertical(hr,hy,hb,hg) 
    top=stackvertical(hall.Subtitle("I"),hall.Subtitle("II"),hall.Subtitle("III")) 
    mid=MessageClip("I: 1-16 II: 17-32 III: 33-48",x-96,y-96) 
    lft=stackhorizontal(vr,vy,vb,vg,vr,vy,vb,vg,vr,vy,vb,vg).subtitle("I II III",6,y/2) 
    rgt=stackhorizontal(vg,vb,vy,vr,vg,vb,vy,vr,vg,vb,vy,vr).subtitle("III II I",2,y/2) 

stackhorizontal(lft,stackvertical(top,mid,top.flipvertical()),rgt)
    Most TV's I've come across aren't really centered.

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not wanting to look like a silly munky, but like me said I am quite new to VCD creation. So I need to know where must I actually put this code and what must I do??? lol

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry,

-Go to http://www.avisynth.org and download AVISynth.
    -Copy and paste the script into notepad (Start->Programs->Accessories)
    {just in case you don't know where it is, there are many people who don't}
    -save the file as "borders.avs" WITH THE QUOTES in your avisynth folder {it should be at C:\Program Files\AVISynth2 or 2.5}
    -open the script in virtualdub and frameserve it to your favorite encoder
    -put on a CD-RW and be amazed at how off center your TV is.

Also useful for finding the overscan areas too.

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  9. Another way to determine the needed cropping-value is:

(I assume that you use a PAL 4/3 TV)

Make a test picture test.jpg size 768x576. The test picture could be a red square.

Select test.jpg as Input Image on the Mpeg Stills page

Encode it to a Mpeg Still with parameters VCD 2.0, PAL, High, Apply Correction, 4/3, TV-Cropping=0% (Anti flickering and Quality is not important in this test)

Rename the test.mpg to 0.mpg

Set the parameters again ant change the TV-cropping to 1% and set the Background color to light green.

Press Generate to encode the picturee and rename test.mpg to 1.mpg

Repeat this until you have 21 pictures (0.mpg - 20.mpg) with cropping set from 0 - 20 %

Burn these 21 pictures to a cd in the numeric order and play it on your dvd. Change the wait-parameter to wait infinite for all 21 files, this makes it easier afterwards

Play the cd on your dvd-player.

Now you can determine the cropping-value by simply stepping through your files and see when the green border is vissible.
    The value is probaly not the same for left, top, right and bottom side and if you want to see the whole picture on your TV you must set the TV-Cropping to the lagrest value (the picture where you can see the green border on all 4 edges)

If that is 6% then the best size for your pictures would be 676x506, you can see this value on the Mpeg Stills page "Best Initial Size"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone who has helpt

Now me have the 'test cd's' I can now work out the propper size, YAY!!!
    Now hopefully I can advance further instead of being on stage 1, wondering and going mental trying to get everything to be shown on my tele.

Thanks again for your help.

:: For anyone else who has this problem I have quickly created a geocities account and uploaded the test CD's onto the web. They are zipped (.zip files) and ready to be burned onto CD. ::

http://www.geocities.com/vcd_creation/
    #Just a quick site, for downloads. Will be improved later.

* Files need to be unzipped and burned onto cd with a program such as FireBurner or any such CD Image burner.

*Both CD's are PAL encoded in 4/3 ratio
    Quote Quote