VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Noticed in Best Buy's Sunday flyer that they are offering Memorex DVD+R for $29.95 for a 25 pack after instant rebate. They don't state specifically that they are 4X media, but the photo shows 4X on the Memorex label. Works out to $1.20 a piece. My Sony 500ULX loves these little guys, and burns at 4x on them.
    A kiss on the hand might be quite continental, but tactical nukes are a boy's best friend
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2.4X or 4X is a steal of deal at $1.20 each.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Office Depot has a 50 pack of Phillips 4x DVD+R or Memorax 4x DVD-R for $77.94. I don't know if it's only local(Orlando) but it was in the Sunday paper.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the Office Depot special appears to be nationwide, it is on sale in Colorado as well, the BestBuy Memorex special is for 4X DVD+R.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good News!!

The Best Buy deal is available online with free shipping, and there appears to be no limit on quantity. I just ordered 4 of the 25 packs online, free shipping, same sales tax as I would pay in the store. $127.46 delivered for 100 DVD+R 4x name brand discs. This is about $13 better than the TDK 100 pack a few weeks ago!

ON EDIT: here is the link
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051826237124&skuId=5403654&type=product
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by David9799
    I have to agree,I have had bad experiences with Memorex.
    But it depends on who makes the disks and if they work for you that's all that matters.
    Can somebody who has them please post the ATIP/manufacturer info?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reverse for me, I had 20 out of 20 Verbatim 2.4X DVD+R not hold the full 4.36 gig, they ranged from 1.2 gig to 3 gig record cap. I have had a wonderful experience with Memorex, FujiFil. GQ, HP and Philips. i always buy onsale. As before, but what you feel is good for you. I will buy anybrand until i get burned with it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Dennis, seems like you were lucky to be able to burn ANY of those Verbatim disks you had. Lucky you were at least able to burn up to 3 GB's as many were not as fortunate since Verbatim has decided to allow crap disks to be produced.

Anyway, Memorex disks have an even worse rap...however, the majority of the Memorex disks in which I have read people having issues with were 1-2x. These are 4x disks and i'm interested in knowing what the manufacturer ID is.

If anyone purchases these 4x disks, please check the manufacturer id in DVDINFO or ADVDINFO and post it here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just doing some quick research it appears the Memorex 1x and 2x disks are primarily manufactured by CMC corp and "PRODISC" a.k.a PRINCO.

That alone explains why so many of them are crappy...HOWEVER, it appears the "4x" disks which are at an incredibly low price here...are manufactured by "RICOH"...the same as the DVD+R TDK 4X disks.

IF these Memorex "4X" disks are RICOH...which it appears they are...then they are the best deal to this point on any Quality Brand 4x media...even surpassing the deal Best Buy had on TDK a couple of weeks ago. The price works out to about $1.20 a piece as BOFFO stated...and is absolutely an excellent buy IF the disks are "RICOH" manufactured which I believe they are.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Media Information from my 25 pack from best buy

Media code/Mfr ID RICOHJPNR01
    Formatted Size 4.22GB(4.53GB)
    Total Size 4.38GB(4.70GB)
    Book Type DVD-ROM
    Media type DVD+R
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBs
    Default Rotation Control CLV
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    No of Layers 1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by defense
    Anyway, Memorex disks have an even worse rap...however, the majority of the Memorex disks in which I have read people having issues with were 1-2x. These are 4x disks and i'm interested in knowing what the manufacturer ID is.
    There is no 1-2x Memorex DVD+R disks, only 2.4x or 4x. Those 1-2x are probably MINUS format made by Pinco crap.

I use Memorex 2.4x DVD+R disks all the time. Works 100% great.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Saw the same deal today at my local Fry's - 25 pack for 29.99. Sale good until 7/22.
    Quote Quote  
  13. There is no 1-2x Memorex DVD+R disks, only 2.4x or 4x. Those 1-2x are probably MINUS format made by Pinco crap.
    I know. I never said 1x-2x DVD+R's I was talking about Memorex disks in general. People have had issues with Memorex, thus, they have decided to stay clear of them. I, being one of those people with negative Memorex experience.

However, I have seen enough lately to know that quality disks of a reputable company like Verbatim...which people ASSUME have ALL QUALITY disks....can be very false. Verbatim has a lot of crappy disks out there unfortunately. But that got me to thinking that the Memorex disks people were having so many issues with were probbaly manufactured by a crap company...CMC/PRINCO....and sure enough....that was it.

Which got me to thinking that the 4x Memorex were probably manufactured by another company....and it appeared they were RICOH disks.....that's what I posted earlier and Kirpen just confirmed it! These 4x Memorex DVD+R's are Ricoh Manufactured and seemingly of EXCELLENT QUALITY! They are essentially the same disks as the Ricoh Manufactured TDK's and for $1.20 a piece, they even beat the price Best Buy had a week or so ago on the TDK 100 disk spindle.

Looks like Memorex has woken up and gotten a solid manufacturer to make their DVD+R 4X disks. Unfortunately for many...the name has already been tarnished....but it's good to know those high quality disks are a steal right now.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    How does one go about viewing the media information on a blank DVD+R?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Looks like I found it...I think DVDInfo (www.nicsoft.com.au/dvdinfo.html) will do it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone purchased the Memorex 4X DVD-Rs? I'd like to know who manufactures them, if they are Ricoh like the +Rs appear to be then this is a great deal! If they are CMC, I'd just as soon order Princo 4Xs via mail order and save more $$.

Thanks! 8)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I tried DVDInfo with the Memorex 25 pack of DVD+R from Best Buy, and this is what I got:

Code:
    Media Information       
    Region info  N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Mfr ID        Unknown
    Formatted Size    4.38GB(4.70GB)
    Total Size         Blank(4.7GB?)
    Book Type                Unknown
    Media type               Unknown
    Default Rotation Control     CLV
    Linear Density        Blank Disc
    No of Layers          Blank Disc
    Anyone know why I get an "Unknown" for the media type? I got a valid response from a DVD+R/W disc I tried.

My drive is a NEC ND-1100A packaged as a Verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
  18. you either didn't chose the proper function i.e "OE" from the drop down menu...or for some odd reason it didn't read it. Another strong possibility is that although ADVDINFO does a great job in reading DVD + R media unlike its counterpart ADVDINFO...sometimes it has problems reading any media from a DVD ROM. Make sure you test the media from your DVD "BURNER" and it will list it.

You are almost certainly going to have RICOH manufactured DVD+R's as well...but I too, am curious the media id(s) of the Memorex DVD (-R's)
    Quote Quote  
  19. msfox: With the NEC drive you can't check the mfr ID on a blank DVD+R disc. You need to burn something on the disc first.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I bought a 25 pack of Memorex DVD-R 4x at Best Buy a few weeks ago. Here's the code
    Media Information
    Region info N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Mfr ID CMCMAG.AF1
    Formatted Size Blank
    Total Size 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media type V2.2 DVD-R
    Media Id Code Speed Unknown
    Write Srategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBs
    Current Drive Speed 4.0x 5540KBs
    Default Rotation Control CLV
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    No of Layers 1
    I have had end of burn problems with them.
    Live and Let Live
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So based on that, it looks like the Memorex 4X DVD+R media (Ricoh) is a MUCH better deal than the Memorex 4X DVD-R media (CMC).

Has anyone else that purchased Memorex 4X DVD-R media noticed a different manufacturer than CMC? If not, maybe some experiences with their new 4X media would be good. Their 2X DVD-R media was pathetic.
    Quote Quote  
  22. interesting if there have been end of burn problems with those memorex disks. When you say end "burn" problems...what do you mean? Do you mean the disks FAIL to burn and create errors towards the ends of the disks? Or are you successfully burning these disks but having freezing issues towards the end?

IF the issues are with burning..are you sure you are burning less then 4.37 GB's of Data? Just wanna make sure you are not burning 4.7 GB's...because some people have made that mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I've been burning only one hour's worth of video encoded with tmpgenc. These are my videos that I shot. All of the files are less than 4GB. A couple have been less that 3GB. What happens is that the movie will play fine up until the last few minutes. Then it falls apart. You can see the pixels all messed up and then if its really bad, the player stops. It hasn't done it to all of them, but I check each one at the end. I'd say maybe 20%-30% do this. Then I burn the file again until I get one that doesn't mess up.
    Live and Let Live
    Quote Quote