VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. After the lack of help with my last post, and doing a search here, I'll try this again.

I have this MPEG movie that I want to put on a DVD. AFter asking about this in another post, someone said I need to split the files into a video track and an audio track by demuxing the file. I used bbDemux to do it. I now have an m1v and an m1a file of the movie. I was told that I need to combine these into a Quicktime movie in order to put it in iDVD. I asked how, but never got a response.

I did a search here and found out that if I use Sizzle, I can just combine the m1v and the m1a file and make a DVD that way. I tried it and it worked.

ONE BIG PROBLEM! I cannot fast forward the movie in my Sony DVD Player. It plays fine, but as soon as I try to fast forward, it freezes the video. If I hit play again, the audio continues but the video is still frozen. I have to eject the DVD and start it again for it to play.

I did another search here and read that the audio track has to be set to 48Khz instead of 44Khz for most DVD players to be happy. I thought that would solve the problem so I used ffmpegx to convert the m1a file to a 48Khz MP2 file, but nope, if I try to fast forward it freezes the video. In fact, this DVD will even make the Sony player give an error. Both the DVDs I made will play and fast forward fine in the Mac.

Can anyone here help? I'm so close to getting this to work. All I want is to make a DVD that I can play and fast forward with problems in my Sony player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a couple of things id try before "remaking" the dvd

1. try it in another dvd player. its odd it would work in yoru comptuer with fast forwarding, but not in your dvd player.
    2. how did you burn the dvd? AUDIO_TS folder included?
    3. any trouble playing any other sort of dvdr in your sony player.

id hate to say this but it sounds like its your dvd player. But, then again it could just be it doesnt like sizzle made dvd's

or it could be your meda, or the burning method, or a lot of things.

trial and error with other dvd players is the first step.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've played many DVD's recorded from this batch of DVD-R's on my Sony. There is and AUDIO_TS folder. Sizzle makes both folders. I think maybe my player doesn't like Sizzle. This is the first time I have used it to make a DVD. All the other DVD's I've made with DVD Backup and Toast.

There must be a way to do this without Sizzle, but nobody seems to want to help or knows how. It would be nice if I could just convert an mpeg to a quicktime movie and use iDVD.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  4. in my limited experience (about 5 images) with sizzle (the last version -- not the present version), i was never able to fast forward the resulting discs on my sony player -- and i burned the products with both toast and disc copy, no difference. the sources were m2v/mp2s, burned on apple media. the minute i switched to captydvd (use a search), i was able to fast forward the products, so i never tried to figger out the issue with sizzle.

out of curiosity, are others able to get fast forwarding to work on a set top player with a sizzle-authored disc, then or now?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Brett,
    I got a copy of CaptyDVD 1.1.4. How do I make a DVD from an mpeg? I troed to do it but it freezes when I try to compile. Do I still have to demux the mpeg first? If you could give me a step by step with CaptyDVD, that would be AWESOME!

Please give me some help here.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. actually, capty requires a muxed mpeg -- i just drag it onto the main menu -- it is bitvice720x480@29.97@5.0 plus mmt mp2@192@48khz, muxed with mmt -- i double click on the movie then and it creates a timeline, then i add chapter marks via the chapter menu -- i choose 192k mp2 when starting my project -- when it compiles, it does not reencode the video for sure, and probably not my audio either -- i always choose to create a video_ts folder, not an image -- i burn with galactica's sticky toast method (bravo!) -- that's about all i recall in terms of variables, keep trying -- i love capty because of chapters, fast-forward, and best of all no reencoded video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by g4jedi
    ONE BIG PROBLEM! I cannot fast forward the movie in my Sony DVD Player. It plays fine, but as soon as I try to fast forward, it freezes the video. If I hit play again, the audio continues but the video is still frozen. I have to eject the DVD and start it again for it to play.
    This usually happens when the MPEG video was encoded with open GOPs (group of pictures). In order to fast forward in a VCD, SVCD or DVD, the video has to be encoded in GOPs (for DVD, about 15), and the GOP must be closed. Doing this will enable not only fast-forwarding and fast reverse, but also chaptering (entrypoints on VCD, SVCD).
    Quote Quote  
  8. How do I get the MP2 to .48Khz before I remux the files?
    Quote Quote  
  9. re khz: convert to aif (in itunes) and then back to mp2 (with mmt) with appropriate hz
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah... I got that part all figured out and I have remuxed the m1v file and the 48khz mp2 file into one mpg movie.

How long does this normally take in CaptyDVD? I have two muxed mpg files in the project. It seems like it's trying to re-encode the videos. The progress bars are crawling (only one of them in fact).

I followed your directions.

Here is the info of the first movie from Quicktime:

MPEG1 Muxed 320x240
    Movie FPS: 25
    Data Size: 451 MB
    Data Rate: 169.1 K bytes/sec
    Duration: 00:45:00.7
    Quote Quote