VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The recordable DVD is now around for several years and still there is no affordable authoring software available that fulfills everyone's needs. Some of the programs offer functions I don't need (e.g. DVD copying, transcoding etc.), many concentrate on fancy menu creation but they are all lacking what I consider the main benefit of DVD: the ability to create more than one title and several audio tracks. The most promising project so far seems to be DVDlab which is pretty close to my expectations.

Meanwhile I am very glad that I found the solution for creating multi-title multi-audio DVDs. It is based on free- and shareware programs and described in this tutorial. The disadvantage is that I cannot use any menus and have to select different titles with my DVD Player's remote control. If you can live with this restriction why not give it a try?

Requirements
    The procedure described below requires the following conditions and software tools installed on your computer:

De-multiplexed MPEG-2 Material

IfoEdit for generating the DVD Title Sets (v0.95, freeware)

DVDFab (v0.16.1, shareware, € 13.00)

up to 3 times the size of the DVD on your harddisk
    DVD-Recorder and -burning software (e.g. Nero)

Title Creation
    Before we can start building the title sets, you need your movies in mpeg-2 compliant video format. (The different video and audio streams have to be demultiplexed, this can be done using tools like ds.jar) One or more audio tracks in mpeg2-layer3 (.mpa) format can be multiplexed for each movie (AC3 coded audio should also work but I haven't tried it).

In the following example we are going to combine to different movies and the source directory contains the following files:

Hair (Hair) - Musical.m2v
    Movie 1, video stream

Hair (Hair) - Musical.mpa
    Movie 1, 1st audio stream (German)

Hair (Hair) - Musical_1.mpa
    Movie 1, 2nd audio stream (English)
    Jesus Christ Superstar - Musical.m2v
    Movie 2, video stream
    Jesus Christ Superstar - Musical.mpa
    Movie 2, 1st audio stream (has only one audio track)
    celltimes.txt
    chapter info file (contains frame numbers)

For video files IfoEdit needs the file extension .m2v, so make sure to rename your files if necessary!

Multiplexing
    Start IfoEdit and select Author new DVD from the DVD Author-Menu. Another Dialog pops up which will let you enter the video and all audio streams like this: (use the "."-buttons to select files)

Because the first audio track is German the Audio language has to be changed. Otherwise the DVD Player will not be able to select your default language correctly.

If you want to add chapters to your DVD titles, you have to import the locations from a text file. This file must only contain the number of the first frame for each chapter. I use a default configuration file which contains chapter marks every 5 min for a movie duration of up to 3 hours.

Finally, you have to select the target directory of your new DVD and push ok (and be patient for a while).

More Titles
    Now we have created the first title set of our DVD (the files IfoEdit hast just written would play on a DVD player if burnt onto a DVD±R(W) but we want to add more titles). The procedure described above has to be repeated for every title on the DVD but we have to make sure not to overwrite the previously written data. The files created in the target directory are

VIDEO_TS.IFO
    DVD Title Manager

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    Backup of DVD Title Manager (should be identical to VIDEO_TS.IFO)

VTS_01_0.IFO
    Audio/Video info for first Title Set (streams, chapters etc.)

VTS_01_0.BUP
    Backup of VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB
    Multiplexed Video and Audio Streams, part 1

VTS_01_2.VOB
    Multiplexed Video and Audio Streams, part 2
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    Multiplexed Video and Audio Streams, part 3

The first two files (VIDEO_TS.*) are the video manager files for a DVD with this title only and are no longer needed because they will be re-built later.

To preserve the VTS-Files there are 2 different ways
    move the VTS_01_*.* files to another directory
    run IfoEdit and create the VTS_01_*.* files for the next title
    rename VTS_01_*.* to VTS_02_*.* and move the files to another directory
    rename VTS_01_*.* to VTS_03_*.* and move the files to another directory
    and so on ...

If you run IfoEdit in reverse order and start with the last of [n] movies/titles on your DVD, you can use the following method (saves space!)

rename VTS_01_*.* to VTS_0[n]_*.*

rename VTS_01_*.* to VTS_0[n-1]_*.*
    and so on ...

Generate DVD
    Either way, in our example we should now have the following 9 files in the target directory:

VTS_01_0.IFOVTS_01_0.BUPVTS_01_1.VOBVTS_01_2.VOBVT S_01_3.VOB
    VTS_02_0.IFOVTS_02_0.BUPVTS_02_1.VOBVTS_02_2.VOB

Of course, you have to make sure that the total size of these files does not exceed the DVD±R(W) size which is around 4.3 GB (4.7*109 Bytes)!

Re-build DVD Video Manager Files
    To conclude the DVD creation we have to re-build the video manager (VIDEO_TS.*) files for all the title sets created. To do this I used the shareware DVDfab (please let me know if you are aware of a freeware tool that does the same trick!)

Start DVDFAB and in the initial dialog click "Other Functions→Create video manager". In the following window you have to select your target directory where all the files are stored, then click "Next". Voilŕ!

Burn DVD
    Use Nero or your favourite software to burn the files onto a DVD±R(W) and have fun!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you the creator of the guide??? Or else I don't think it is okey to just rip the text and post it here with no reference to the original guide(that is already linked in our guides page and first page):
    http://www.myguides.0catch.com/Guide.html
    Quote Quote