VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just started making backups and have done 4 so far. I used DVD decrypter and Instant COpy to do them. All but one came out great, I had to ditch some foreign language tracks and a behind the scenes though.

One I did which was a dave matthews band concert with multiple angles came out pretty bad though. I've done some reading here on the forums and saw that some programs ppl call the big 3 are supposed to be capable of retaining the best quality.

Could some one please reitterate to me what programs the big 3 are, I can't remeber now. Are these programs really that great? Also point me towards a guide for the big 3, I couldnt find one here. If I could find a guide I'm going to do a little comparison to see just how big the big 3 are. Thanks in advance.

Search Comp PM
    I thought the "big 3" were in Detriot....

General Motors
    Ford
    Chrysler

regards
    Jim

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The big 3 and
    Scenarist NT, (DoItFast4U, DoCCE4U & ReAuthorist)

Guides and info on doom9s site and his forum. I think there is a link on this site also in tools or guides for Scenarist NT.
    Navigate to the guide on site.
    http://www.doom9.org/ > Guides> DVD/mini DVD> DVD Backup> using Scenarist NT & the big 3 (DoItFast4U, DoCCE4U & ReAuthorist) - last updated 05/28/03
    http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=66

Trilight, BBwoof along with Eyes 'Only and aquabubble have done some good work in this area and can be found on doom9. The system is wonderful and a masterpiece in softwares but not for the weak of heart.
    EDIT: PS you also need CCE obviously 2.50 or 2.66 I think both will work and maybe other.
    Good luck (;-{> Dd
    (;-{> Dd
    Strength and Honor
    www.dvd9to5.com
    www.dvd9to5.com/forum/
    "For every moment of truth there's confusion in life"
    Black Sabbath/Ronnie James Dio

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    explained well above but they can still be buggy on movies. I use it all the time but sometimes requires editing which is above and beyond what the guide or forums explain.

J
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

and I don't break them for no one!

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jnk76
    explained well above but they can still be buggy on movies. I use it all the time but sometimes requires editing which is above and beyond what the guide or forums explain.

J
    Amen, The more complicated the project the more complicated the task. I have still not been able to master Matrix complete and have been fooling around with it on and off for 6 month. This process is if you mostly want to learn DVD structure inside and out and have a lot of ?fun?/frustrations doing so.It also works on most projects and with every new software update [beta]gets better. Oh yes did I mention of course having access to about $40,000.00 U.S. of soft/hardware.
    (;-{> Dd
    (;-{> Dd
    Strength and Honor
    www.dvd9to5.com
    www.dvd9to5.com/forum/

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tumbar
    I thought the "big 3" were in Detriot....

General Motors
    Ford
    Chrysler
    The three largest carmakers: GM, Ford, Toyota!
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the input. I've finally got all the software installed and yall were right, this is definitely more difficult than using dvd decrypter and instant copy. I was fooling around with this off and on all night and am just now to the part where i have to mount the iso on a virtual drive. I have to re rip now because i ripped in file mode when backed up with the other software. My stupid drive is limited to ripping at 2x so I'll have to resume tommorow. Thanks again.

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought the "big 3" were

1. DVDshrink
    2. DVD2one
    3. DVDXcopy
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.

9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The Big 3, over at doom9 are DoItFast4U, DoCCE4U, and Reauthorist.

Absolutely brilliant. way to go and thanks so much aquabubble!

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by txpharoah
    I thought the "big 3" were

1. DVDshrink
    2. DVD2one
    3. DVDXcopy
    Yes, that was the system and set of tools I read Lucas Arts, Spielberg and other big hitters were starting to incorporate into his next full film projects. I guess that is why there is imitation crab meat and hot dogs along with lobster and filet mignon in the world.

apost1
    I have not been able to link directly to the guides pages since doom9 did his last update. You have to go to the main site an nav your way as follows [ http://www.doom9.org > Guides> DVD/mini DVD> DVD Backup> using Scenarist NT & the big 3 (DoItFast4U, DoCCE4U & ReAuthorist) - last updated 05/28/03]
    Also
    You also do not have to re-rip, you can use ImgTool and make a
    .iso file from your VIDEO_TS folder not much easier but an option still.
    (;-{> Dd
    (;-{> Dd
    Strength and Honor
    www.dvd9to5.com
    www.dvd9to5.com/forum/

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Doggiedaddy
    I guess that is why there is imitation crab meat and hot dogs along with lobster and filet mignon in the world.
    Mmmmmm. Hot dogs....

I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.

12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I find these tools to be needlessly complex. I think it's great that someone is trying to automate them, but until it's MUCH further along these programs are useless to the average user who just wants to backup his/her dvd's. Period.

- Gurm

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gurm,

I would not be able to back-up half the movies I want without these tools.
    Sometimes wanting to keep the extra features requires CCE. Wanting to keep all original menus and structure of DVD intact requires Maestro or Scenarist.

I think these tools are absolutely amazing. I could never get it right in Scenarist.....now......it is automatic....just load and then write.

Occasionally there are errors and extra tinkering is req.

In general the tools now can be used by the general pop. since it now has become so automated.

I'd have to say I disagree with your comment.

J

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have to go to the main site an nav your way as follows [ http://www.doom9.org > Guides> DVD/mini DVD> DVD Backup> using Scenarist NT & the big 3 (DoItFast4U, DoCCE4U & ReAuthorist) - last updated 05/28/03
    Yeah I had found it, thanks anyways.

15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    yeah Gurm, I have to disagree as well

you say "useless.....Period". useless for you maybe because you don't have patience to figure it out. once you set up the programs you never have to touch them again. all you do is start DoItFast4U and it reads your mounted .iso

then you click a few check marks to either keep or delete audio and subtitle tracks. the rest is done for you. so as far as "useless....period", you have to be a dullard not to be able to figure it out. it is just as simple as using DVDShrink to select or unselect tracks.

and if you think ifoupdate is difficult (finding original ifo and backed up ifo) then you really shouldn't be touching a computer, because it is only a matter of click, open, click, open.

16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What, exactly, is wrong with DVDShrink?

Or other more simple tools?

What is it that you're trying to do that can't be accomplished easily with those tools?

I agree that if I wanted to shrink down a disk that had a MILLION extras and I wanted to keep them all, I would need to use these more complex tools.

And I keep hearing that CCE is faster than TMPGEnc.

But at the moment, I can put in ANY DVD, and DVD Shrink does what I want.

There's a place for these tools, but I haven't needed them yet. Maybe I will, and when that time comes I may very well load them up.

Explain to me, please (by way of humoring me) what it is that you're doing on such a regular basis that requires Scenarist, CCE, and IFOEdit?

- Gurm

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gurm
    =snip> I learned this =snip> stuff from BJ_M. What is it that you're trying to do that can't be accomplished easily with those tools?

Explain to me, please (by way of humoring me) what it is that you're doing on such a regular basis that requires Scenarist, CCE, and IFOEdit?
    - Gurm
    One word QUALITY for full back-up of large project and mirrors of original structure. I will give you this if you just want a quick B/U on under 5.5/6 GB IC7 will do it. But DVDShrink, DVD2one no, these programs are more like cutting a diamond with a jackhammer.
    Do not get mad, this is just my 2cents but I love to learn and enjoy contributing to the end result. I know, more than one word.
    (;-{> Dd
    (;-{> Dd
    Strength and Honor
    www.dvd9to5.com
    www.dvd9to5.com/forum/

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok ive gotten to a point where I have determined that I have to demux by VOB ID. This is what it said in the guide for my particular situation:

This one also has multiangles as you see. Once again, the angles do not extend over the entire PGC so you'll have to demux by VOB ID. You can still use DIF4U for demuxing and DC4U for encoding, but you have to create one track for each VOB ID and put the tracks together to complete PGCs in the scenario editor. For some basic multiangle track creation in Scenarist refer to the multiangle guide (which does not cover the entire scenario as shown above).

I'm confused a bit, it says that I can still use Do it fast 4 u for demuxing and DCC4u for encoding, but then it only points me to a basic guide for something I must first do in Scenarist (Or do I have to do it later in Scenarist?). Could someone maybe explain to me perhaps in simpler language what I must do? I'm not asking for a guide here, but for someone to break it down for me in simpler terms.
    [/quote]

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gurm,

Not to mock DVDshrink or DVD2one or IC7 because I use them all for certain areas but there quality sucks after a certain compression.
    The speed you are getting is big advantage but quality is poor for many movies. Try doing a 7GB + movie with above program and watch on a 32" or larger tv and you will see blocks all over the place......they are not made to have the high quality.....they are made for speed.

Every single program mentioned in this thread I have used, continue to use and will probably always use. Every movie is different though....once you need to encode over a certain amount the quality is horrible from the transcoding programs and you need to use something like CCE.

Take the time to do a movie that is very large which is becoming much more common now a days with features always on 2nd disc and use dvdshrink and just watch movie....if you can't see the blocks everywhere on dark or action scenes then u are blind my man.

J

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apost1,

I don't recall doing movies with 2 angles but something to that has worked for me in the past is to use DVD2ONE prior to starting Big3. So in your case.....rip movie in file mode......start up DVDone and choose full disk change the output to very high # like 9500 Mb and then choose on next screen audio and angle. This should then work with Big 3. I have had to take this approach for other movies for different situations but not for angles. Give a try and let us know.

J

21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Apost1

i did a couple of movie with that angling problem

rip it with dvd shrink 2.3 in reauthor mode in uncompress mode

figure out which title it is

it will have that title down twice

1st one is title__

the other will say

title__ (angled)

don't pick the one that has the angle on it

when you are done

encode and burn it however you do it

22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    the main reason for using The Big 3 is to do a DVD backup

many people backup movies...I backup my DVDs.

just try Tears Of The Sun, there is absolutely no contest there. Doing a full disc backup with DVD2ONE and DVDShrink resulted in TERRIBLE extras, whereas with The Big 3, the extras were as good as they get.

if you only want to backup your movies then use any method you want, because not a whole lot changes in bitrate. but if you are looking to back up your DVDs then use The Big 3. no question about it

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I figured it out, I had to go back and check demux by VOB ID in do it fast 4 u. Its the way the guide is that confused me because it pointed towards an article that told me how to determine whether I need to demux by VOB ID and then that article pointed to a method where I need like 5 programs to do that. He didnt mention in the original article that i needed to go back and check that box. This is a pretty good guide but hes just not clear enough about some things. Thanks

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And for all of you arguing about how good the big 3 are, once I get done making this DVD I'll post some screen shots of the one authored with the big 3 and the one I did previously with Instant copy so we can do a little comparison.

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't approve of "the big 3" because it promotes piracy. I'll "bet the farm" that almost nobody in these forums actually owns that $32,000.00 program. I only have it at work, and I don't use it because of its complexity. I think adam and BJ_M may be the only others that actually legally have it.

So brag about "big 3" quality all you want. Some of us actually own our software, and another mortgage isn't appropriate to merely backup movies. At that price, I could buy triple of each title to start with, and still have money left over. We don't trade with warez kiddies and download Kazaa all day long.

For the non-pirates in this world, DVDshrink, DVD2one, IC7, and even nasty old DVDXcopy is just fine. For the few of you that actually may own it, then disregard this rant. And anybody coming along after this post saying "hey, I own it" probably doesn't. Most people that have it keep their business to themself.

Most "errors" are only apparently on the computer monitor anyway. Put it on a tv, and they fade away because of the lower resolution output. I see another "mine looks as good as yours" flame war on the brink, thought I'd nip it right now. Who cares? Backup your stuff and be happy it's even possible.

26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Argh, matey. Don't be hatin pirates. They got ta eat too.

Ablast ye. One day ya might find yerself on a sinking ship and then you'll be wishin there were someone... even a pirate, around!

Anyone besides myself find it ironic that the biggest anti-piratite around, Disney, has a movie out about pirates???

Shiver me timbers!
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by txpharoah
    =Snip>>
    A) I only have it at work, and I don't use it because of its complexity.
    B) I think adam and BJ_M may be the only others that actually legally have it.
    A) Well, Quote says itself!
    B) Wrong, and who shall judge me, not you??
    C) Just my opinion also. Who gives a Rat's back door what you think? You post on every single thread, opinions, not founded in experience and/or sound helpful advice for people just looking for help. Always the same poop, I do not post this lightly because I feel most people have some merit in their opinions but I have a hole in my tongue from bitting it because of so many of your other GOD LIKE posts.
    Also as far the poll pertaining to the most annoying forum poster on the forum goes. A high post count is not a test on your IQ. Do they have mirrors in TEXAS??????? Have a nice day. I try not to be a angry person but MY GOD, come on. We will all be judged some day but not by the likes of you!!! My final answer!!!!!
    (;-{> Dd

PS: I am done with this thread, take it away TX.
    (;-{> Dd
    Strength and Honor
    www.dvd9to5.com
    www.dvd9to5.com/forum/

28. I don't approve of "the big 3" because it promotes piracy. I'll "bet the farm" that almost nobody in these forums actually owns that $32,000.00 program.
    Well said, 'Tex'. IMO, anyone posting in this forum making reference to their use of these tools is admitting to outright piracy (theft). If anyone wants to take issue with this, I will welcome being told I am wrong, and you can call me any name allowable under forum rules, and then some. But, you should also state that you actually bought each of the tools you use. If you didn't, then use them in privacy with my blessing, but quite trying to make the rest of us feel inferior because we only use tools that we own. Why not limit your discussion of these tools to one of the other forums that seem to encourage piracy.

BTW, I bought every piece of software that I use, as well as all of the 327 DVD's that I am in the process of backing up.

29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, it's kinda like the forums where people have discussions like:

"Which do you like better: Lightwave, Maya, or 3DS Max?"

Oh, c'mon! 500 forum posters don't ALL have legally registered copies of $5000 programs. ROFL.

- Gurm

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Triple_Helix
    I will welcome being told I am wrong, and you can call me any name allowable under forum rules, and then some. But, you should also state that you actually bought each of the tools you use. If you didn't, then use them in privacy with my blessing...

BTW, I bought every piece of software that I use, as well as all of the 327 DVD's that I am in the process of backing up.

I believe the only remaining names allowed are boo boo head and smarty pants (and I'm not so sure about smarty pants). This forum has gotten so politically correct I sometimes get a bit ill.

Now, if you're asking for receipts, did you want a copy of the bar code too?
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!