VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 96
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Classified
    Search Comp PM
    mrbass,

    when I said the avg. joe I didn't mean someone who uses a computer to just read email. I meant someone who has used and played with DVDone, DVDshrink, IC7, etc.

    I too tried it before Reauthorist and it was hopeless.
    So it is very fair to say I was soley using non CCE programs.

    The BIG three was a sinch to setup and install and get going providing you already had CCE and scenarist installed which I will agree with you that not the avg. joe will have.

    I am cofident in saying in less than 1 hour you can download the free programs needed from doom9 and install and setup and press DO IT.

    It is still having probs with complicated DVD's so movies like Matrix will not work.....yet.

    J
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

    and I don't break them for no one!

  2. Which program is best to use for going to dvd9 to dvd5?

  3. IMO, anyone posting in this forum making reference to their use of these tools is admitting to outright piracy (theft).
    Good point, I doubt many people who own Scenarist and CCE are spending their time here posting about how they backup their $15 DVDs - which they now have over 300 of. lol

  4. There are people on this forum who obvious actually have licensed versions of very expensive software
    I don't agree, but your use of the word 'obvious(ly)' is especially puzzling. IMHO, this whole thread is chocked full of CYA.

  5. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    VIP Lounge
    Search Comp PM
    If the compression is too much I just split the movie onto one disc and extras on another having the menus on both like a few DVD's are these days anyway

    as for the piracy issue, I wonder how many of legally own everything in their possession in your household?

    really it shouldn't matter if the item in question is worth $30000 cos even if it's only worth $1 it's still gonna be the same issue

    p.s.
    Originally Posted by jnk76
    Coming from the IC7 master I am surprised.
    Ahem

  6. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all.. jumping in here..

    I agree with Next, Mrbass and Virtualis.

    People forget that nature of most average joe's. That is.. Everyone has
    a limit or stress point. An average joe who gets there hand on such apps
    like dvd2svcd for instance, will probably become bilwildered. show'em
    once how to use it, they might get all sorts of ideas But, as was said
    above, one mistake or issue or problem, and they just won't have the
    mantality ta bother any longer, and will probably loose their interest in doing
    these things (dvd rips and things) That's just the way it is. Only time when
    it won't be as true, is if this person is a teen or someone looking w/ a bend
    mind. Usually some very young and still in school and has parents that
    give (or gave) up on them long ago, and will just give'em anything they
    ask, want or demand - only ta just shut them up - - rant, sorry. Anyways..

    I have an actual case study (a scenario) that took place last year. A friend
    at work has a fast connect, and used to D/L movies off the internet. He
    heard (through the grape vine) that I knew how to archieve dvd titles for safe
    keepings.

    Ok, he's in his late 30's and he has fast connect and get all his so called
    (IMO) cheap louzy quality movies (cough, couch, divX) and he's ben doing
    this for a few years. he swares by them (quality'wise) but I know better.
    I've seen whta he's shown me. Pure crap!@#! Anyways.. as I was saying..

    So, he approaches me and we start ta talk. I get the ball rolling for him.
    Right away, he's already showing signs of "You're crazy" .. or "...in how many
    hours?" etc. But, I continue..

    By now, I've got him checking out TMPGenc. he's already lost. I show him
    a few simple steps and in short, make a few things clearer for him.

    He's now showing some more signs of "ahhh, I don't think this is worth it"
    etc. But, he pushes on. I convinse him that it's worth it, AS LONG as you
    know what you're doing, and have the level of skills etc. behind you.

    By now, he's installed a DVD-ROM (at the companies expense) and has finally
    figured out how to rip a dvd. Long story there. .."8 gigs" .."you're crazy
    to be doing this every day" I say I don't do this every day. But, that people
    out there do. Anyways..

    He's know dommy. And, he know a lot more than I do. But, even after I showed
    him how to do this stuff from start ta finish, he was done on the second try!!!
    Kept saying that I was crazy for spending 20+ hours from start to finish, just
    for a louzy looking movie (this guy def. didn't know what quality was, even
    when it was starying at him in the face) He's lost already, because of the
    many complex steps needed to complete this adventure. He didn't have the
    mentality of it all. He had a very short learning curve when it came to this
    sort of stuff. His stress level was short! His complexity was next to zero.

    Now, he's back to D/L'ing crummy divX (did I forget to caugh) And, they really
    do look crummy. I don't know where he gets them, and I don't care. There is
    another person just like him. Only, HE didn't go the length. He gave up on
    it as soon as he hear - 8gigs ?? Oh, and did I mention that both these guys
    are Hackers. One of them loves to show me how he Hacks this or that. He's
    a pure show-off. But, even hackers have some level of stress limits. You
    know.. ..how far they will or are willing to go for something. It's gotta
    be worth something to them. And, spending 8+ or more hours is not it.

    So, there are lots of peoples that will go the distances, and lots that wont.
    From Doctors to Layers to yet, even competent pc gurus (aka Hacker)

    Well, that was my story.
    -vhelp

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Classified
    Search Comp PM
    vhelp,

    It sounds like you are agreeing with my point a little more?
    The avg. person can use the BIG 3. If they have the patience and willingness to continue at the first sign of trouble is another matter.

    J
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

    and I don't break them for no one!

  8. anyone that takes $15 DVD and takes 6-12 hours to back it up, well they have WAY to much time on their hands, if these where $100 DVD's I could see taking all this overnight encoding with CCE and the rest or even out of print DVD's but taking these long hours to backup something like Shrek, give me a break.

  9. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Classified
    Search Comp PM
    thxkid,

    it is a hobby.....the cost of DVD is not the reason why.
    Your comment has no relevance because lots of people have hobbies that can be time consuming, which in some peoples minds are wasting.
    If u like something.....u like....if you don't....then u don't.

    MONEY is NOT a factor.
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

    and I don't break them for no one!

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Great Northwest
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thxkid
    anyone that takes $15 DVD and takes 6-12 hours to back it up, well they have WAY to much time on their hands, if these where $100 DVD's I could see taking all this overnight encoding with CCE and the rest or even out of print DVD's but taking these long hours to backup something like Shrek, give me a break.
    You can not compare CPU time to real life time. You need only spend about 20 minutes of your precious time on the process. That is one reason the computer was invented, relatively fast commutation processing without human intervention. If you are just sitting there watching the computer work, go use another terminal or something else while it does it's business, who is wasting time now?
    (;-{> Dd
    Strength and Honor
    www.dvd9to5.com
    www.dvd9to5.com/forum/
    "For every moment of truth there's confusion in life"
    Black Sabbath/Ronnie James Dio

  11. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    Just to add..

    For me, I never did get started in the "unlawfull" of this all. I started out at
    doing this to "really" and in all honesty, backup/archive everthing I could
    get my hands on from Cable TV, way back in 1996, when I got my first
    taste of video capturing. it took a while before I actually took off with this
    endeavor, like somewhere's in ~2000 but then soon came up w/ the idea
    of backing up my VHS to CDR's so that I could speed up my Fast Fowards
    and Rewinds LOL. That's all I really wanted. That was my true goal from
    the start, cause I was tired of VHS fastforward and rewinding of tapes and
    things. Even back then, I found myslef loosing interest in what I was trying
    to watch on TV because of the time envolved with FW/RW 'ing.
    It's actually pretty pathetic of me, when you really look at it, but thats my
    only "real" reason for all this back then. Now, I'm not really all that into
    DVD ripping and stuff, though I do it a lot. Mostly for the reason below.
    Otherwise, I just pop in the DVD disk for true quality. My you, I do lend
    my stuff out to friends, and even the DVD's too. But, I'll mostly give them
    my encoded projects cause most of them don't know the difference. At
    best, they may look like Satellite quality ta them, though they don't really
    care much.

    Today, I have Satellite. So, my endeavors has extended a bit.. not to mention
    better/improved equipments too.
    Keep in mind, that as time goes by, I keep improveming my methods and
    processes.. to the point that they meet closely at the level of quality of the
    DVD source themselves, or VHS/Satellite for that matter. And, DVD's have
    being dropping in prices these days - now down to $5.88 or so. So, if you're
    one of those who have really slower PC's, and spending $5 bucks on a DVD
    and waiting 20+ hours.. Man, I have to remember just a few years ago, when
    we were all ding 18 hours or more on some of these projects, and even then,
    we had disscussions similar to this then (if memory serves me) Anyways..
    We chalk it up to experience

    Me ? ..I do this as a hobby / entainment / ta past the time away etc., or:
    adding to the list for Cable/VHS/Satellite/DVD and anything else old/new:

    * time passer
    * brain-draining
    * hobby
    * keep myself busy
    * fun
    * enjoyment :P
    * entertainment
    * challenge
    * techniques and things
    * and so much more.. 8)

    Did I repeat myself above ? Oh well.

    Sorry for the off-topic.
    Well, that's ben my $5.88 cents worth these days,
    -vhelp

  12. Originally Posted by thxkid
    anyone that takes $15 DVD and takes 6-12 hours to back it up, well they have WAY to much time on their hands
    I must echo DoggieDaddy. If you plan your time wisely, you needn't spend more than a few minutes at the computer.

    I transfer about 40 hours worth of satellite programming per week to CD-R. I have a second machine dedicated to video processing. TMPGEnc has this nifty option to shutdown the computer when batch processing is complete; why not process your works while you sleep?

    Backing up DVDs? That's even less work!

  13. Originally Posted by Triple_Helix
    There are people on this forum who obvious actually have licensed versions of very expensive software
    I don't agree, but your use of the word 'obvious(ly)' is especially puzzling. IMHO, this whole thread is chocked full of CYA.
    "Obviously"

    Firstly I don't even know what "CYA" means.

    In any case, my point still stands and ultimately this rule has been agreed upon a while ago. YOU don't have to agree with it. Just abide by it in the forums (and since you take a more restrictive point of view, it doesn't really matter).

    There are people on this forum (not thread), who are obviously rich/wealthy, and there are those who work for the industry. Both of these groups will have legal access to these programs.

    In any case, it is irrelevant.

    These programs can be legally obtained and as far as I'm concerned, and I've been here for a while, some people DO have licensed copies of these programs. My point is that I can't tell from my computer whether these people have a licensed copy or not. All I know is that there is a possibility that they do, and not an unreasonably small possibility. Thus, it is innocence unless evidence to the contrary.

    Your arguement would be somewhat like it would be illegal for people in a statistically poor neighbourhood to talk about driving expensive cars as MOST people can't afford them and as such indicates THEFT.

    Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence

  14. Firstly I don't even know what "CYA" means.
    It's a North American acronym For 'Cover Your A__.'

    Could we, at least, discourage the promotion of these tools -- especially to obvious newbies, who may have only asked a basic question about, what some members think, are second rate tools. Sometimes an answer is followed by a statement like, "For the best quality you should use blah, blah, blah." This kind of proselytizing is blatant promotion of piracy. After all, the forum rules state, "Do NOT advocate warez."

  15. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Classified
    Search Comp PM
    Triple_Helix,


    "For the best quality you should use blah, blah, blah."
    Why wouldn't you say that? IF someone asks what the fastest car is your're not going to tell them its a civic are you?

    These forums should be kept factual. There is no promotion of pirarcy at all. If there was it would be immedietly locked.

    J
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

    and I don't break them for no one!

  16. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Great Northwest
    Search Comp PM
    I was not going to post on this thread again but I felt it was necessary. What started in as a simple question asking about the Big 3. Then was taken over by TX and others as a fight for freedom and all that is good. To save us from us, in their opinions of what we can or cannot afford or have access to in a number of legitimate/legal ways. This is my idea of hijacking a thread and name calling. I do not see TX or anyone else's name on my bank account. So until you sign the checks mind your own business. I will be responsible for my own actions, as you should be!!!!!
    Enough Said.

    Link to guide for Sonic Scenarist on this very site. Link broken only because doom9 updated his site and you can not directly link to the guide other than via main page now.

    https://www.videohelp.com/guides?tools=13&madeby=&formatconversionselect=&osselect=&howt...or+List+Guides

    Original Post
    Originally Posted by apost1
    I just s tarted making backups and have done 4 so far. I used DVD decrypter and Instant COpy to do them. All but one came out great, I had to ditch some foreign language tracks and a behind the scenes though.

    One I did which was a dave matthews band concert with multiple angles came out pretty bad though. I've done some reading here on the forums and saw that some programs ppl call the big 3 are supposed to be capable of retaining the best quality.

    Could some one please reitterate to me what programs the big 3 are, I can't remeber now. Are these programs really that great? Also point me towards a guide for the big 3, I couldnt find one here. If I could find a guide I'm going to do a little comparison to see just how big the big 3 are. Thanks in advance.
    [quote="Triple_Helix"]
    =Snip> Firstly Could we, at least, discourage the promotion of these tools
    Thank You
    (;-{> Dd
    Strength and Honor
    www.dvd9to5.com
    www.dvd9to5.com/forum/
    "For every moment of truth there's confusion in life"
    Black Sabbath/Ronnie James Dio

  17. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Classified
    Search Comp PM
    Well said dogdaddy,

    Love the pic at end.

    Thought is free.
    and what happened to "innocent until proven guilty" Here in Canada it still stands that way. Not sure about Texas.

    J
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

    and I don't break them for no one!

  18. Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Search Comp PM
    Innocent until proven guilty...

    Ok, so I wander in to a biker bar...

    And open up my coat...

    And say "Rolexes! Genuine Rolexes! Get 'em here! Get 'em cheap!"

    Do I have real Rolexes?

    - Gurm

  19. Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't going to come back and post to this but GURM's lack of understanding just makes me laugh. (what the hell does innocence until proven guilty have to do with your above post?????)

    First, if you ever wandered into a biker bar and announced that $hit you would probably get your @ss beaten and all your watches taken from you.

    Second, no one really cares.

    The LAW is the LAW, you either respect it or get the *BEEP* out.

    And by your own admission you MUST have stolen stuff yourself.

    Have a nice day.

  20. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Classified
    Search Comp PM
    Gurm,

    Why don't you do that and get back to us.
    I can not see the relevance of your statement.
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

    and I don't break them for no one!

  21. Member adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gurm
    Innocent until proven guilty...

    Ok, so I wander in to a biker bar...

    And open up my coat...

    And say "Rolexes! Genuine Rolexes! Get 'em here! Get 'em cheap!"

    Do I have real Rolexes?

    - Gurm
    You are missing everyone's point. No one is selling anything and no one is suggesting that anyone do anything illegal. Under your proposed analogy we would not even be able to talk about Rolexes on this site, because anyone who can't afford to buy two of every DVD must therefore not be able to afford a Rolex.

    The Big Three is perfectly legal, and the commercial software it uses can be obtained through perfectly legal means. The postion of this board is that we will assume that you are using the information we give for legal purposes, unless you give us an actual reason to believe otherwise. I don't care how expensive the software in question is, a high pricetag alone does not imply that it was stolen.

  22. "CYA"...

    That's a pretty good acronym actually!

    Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence

  23. Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Search Comp PM
    Look, I _know_ that the Big 3 is perfectly legal, and I _know_ the position of the administrators of this board.

    It's more the irony of the situation and people's reactions that I find amusing/interesting.

    I find it interesting that people go into "auto-defense" mode as soon as ANYONE points out that we're discussing how to best work around the limitations and difficulties inherent in software we don't own. They call those of us who would DARE to suggest such a thing all kinds of names including ignorant, and accuse US of being the "bad guy" here.

    I find it laughable.

    Maybe I even HAVE Scenarist. Maybe not. I obviously can't afford it, but in the long run WHO CARES? I'm simply all for calling a spade a spade.

    My point with the Rolex analogy was ... and lemme tell ya guys, none of YOU would go into a biker bar either so stop pretending that I'm some kind of geek and you aren't, LOL ... that although in the USA we're "innocent until proven guilty" (not so in Australia for example, but hey that's digressing) there is sometimes an assumption of guilt inherent in an action.

    It's part of our society.

    Pawn shops are legal. Buying and selling from/to pawn shops is legal. But let's face it - some of the stuff in any given pawn shop on any given day is hot merchandise. It's just reality.

    There's another forum I'm active in. It's the forum for a ... well, to be honest a pirate group. And it has a 3D rendering subforum. People there discuss all kinds of stuff about software that NONE of them own. I still enjoy the conversation but NOBODY there gets all defensive and pretentious about it.

    Notice that I didn't even say BOO in this thread (other than to wonder about the usefulness of this package, which I was delightfully informed of, and I'll actually be trying it out, thanks) until people started getting ridiculously defensive about this topic.

    Frankly, I don't care. If I don't try to SELL a DVD I made with Scenarist, it's a pretty grey area as to whether I can actually be busted for ANY crime (not that I'm admitting to having/using it, hehe). But I'm simply finding it amusing that everyone insists on getting all defensive.

    - Gurm

  24. What do you mean "innoncent until proven guilty" is not so in Australia??

    We have as robust (if not more so) a legal system than the US!

    Need I remind you of Camp X-ray??

    (but then, we have the assylum seekers -- so you're probably right after all... )

    In any case, as what adam stated. Talking about certain programs and how they work (regardless of cost as long as it is commercially available) is in no way illegal ... nor implicitly so.

    I should warn you however, that your last post is putting serious doubts in my mind on whether you are talking about warez and/or advocating it (being an active member of warez forum). Since it was unclear, I'm going to assume that I'm just misreading your post (or perhaps taking it out of context) and will ignore it for now.

    Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence

  25. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    that although in the USA we're "innocent until proven guilty"
    3 years ago

    that was a true statement

    now it's the other way around

  26. Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Search Comp PM
    I hang out in a bar with people who discuss the easiest and best ways to kill people. Doesn't make me a murderer OR an advocate of murder.



    As for the innocent until proven guilty thing in Australia... I'm pretty sure that last time I checked you had to prove your innocence there. I could be wrong, it's been a couple years, but there were a LOT of cases I saw where people were done in without due process or just cause.

    - Gurm

  27. I'm still waiting to find out if the Rolex's were real

    Come on Gurm, don't keep us in suspense!

  28. Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Search Comp PM
    No. They were, in fact, cheap knockoffs.

    Or... maybe I just like losing thousands of dollars by selling $10k watches for $20.

    - Gurm

  29. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Classified
    Search Comp PM
    gurm,

    I myself would be more defensive of comments made because I don't want this site in trouble. The subject was the BIG 3 and look what it has turned into.

    Wonder u we can thank?

    J
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

    and I don't break them for no one!

  30. Originally Posted by Gurm
    As for the innocent until proven guilty thing in Australia... I'm pretty sure that last time I checked you had to prove your innocence there. I could be wrong, it's been a couple years, but there were a LOT of cases I saw where people were done in without due process or just cause.
    Um... what are you going on about? It works the same way as most Western countries. It's up to the prosecutor to prove beyond resonable doubt...

    The only people who are done in without due process are the asylum seekers (though I'm sure people would disagree with me) because they fall through a loophole in the Migration Act (as long as they don't arrive in continental Australia).

    Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence




Similar Threads