VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 96
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Texas USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Triple_Helix
    but quite trying to make the rest of us feel inferior because we only use tools that we own.
    That's why I said it. You should not be made to feel inferior.

    I have access to Scenarist, and I don't even use it. For people with no access, it only tempts them to be pirates because "everybody else does it" and "maybe it really is better". It's not that much better, and not everybody steals. I've seen discs made by this method (and other similar methods I used in the past), and it's only a slight difference. Only on a few occasions is there a huge difference (usually from completely full DVD9 discs). It's for backup anyway, so I fail to see the concerns about needing perfection. Of course that leads into the argument of "who actually backs up what they own?"

    For the other user's comment above: I don't need to judge pirates, the law has done that already.

    I just tried to stop a flame war before it happened. The original poster only asked what the "big 3" were, not which was better or "who's is bigger".
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.

  2. This forum has gotten so politically correct I sometimes get a bit ill.
    What has PC got to do with calling a thief exactly what he/she is?

    Your tools are none of my business -- right!

  3. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Triple_Helix
    What has PC got to do with calling a thief exactly what he/she is?

    Your tools are none of my business -- right!

    Don't you pay attention to your own posts???

    " you can call me any name allowable under forum rules".
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!

  4. Don't you pay attention to your own posts???

    " you can call me any name allowable under forum rules".
    You'll have to interpret that for me. Your silence about the substance of my post is deafening.

  5. It's only a movie kids.

    Remember the low cost backup tools that have come out recently ar geared towards DVD backups.

    Many of the higher cost tools mentioned are geared towards DVD authoring as a profession. Not simple DVD backups.

  6. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Triple_Helix
    Don't you pay attention to your own posts???

    " you can call me any name allowable under forum rules".
    You'll have to interpret that for me. Your silence about the substance of my post is deafening.

    substance: "a particular type of matter with uniform properties."

    I'll assume you're referring to the CONTENT of your post.
    OK. I was referring to the part where you said "you can call me any name allowable under forum rules" (thus the quotation marks).

    All I was implying was that your offer to call you any name is pretty much moot.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Classified
    Search Comp PM
    These forums were created to help people with problems they are having not to judge people if they own the software. It no ones place to do that. This thread was not reference anything about piracy until txpharoah put his 2 cents in. If you have nothing to say about the threads question then keep your opinions to yourself or start a new flaming thread. I also do believe hi jacking a thread should warrent a warning. So you should get be getting yellow flag if the mods are fair and view this thread or if someone reports you. I would myself except I don't give a rats @ss and don't have time to waste.

    I think you deserve a medal for owning all the software on your pc.
    Bend over so I can shove the medal up your @ss.

    There are others who own the software they use and just because it is expensive does not mean they don't have it.

    That is my opinion!

    J
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

    and I don't break them for no one!

  8. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Texas USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jnk76
    keep your opinions to yourself
    Originally Posted by jnk76
    That is my opinion!
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.

  9. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Classified
    Search Comp PM
    wow. good one except like the enquirer you forgot everything before and after. Should read:


    jnk76 wrote:

    "If you have nothing to say about the threads question then keep your opinions to yourself or start a new flaming thread."

    Maybe you should consider career change.

    J
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

    and I don't break them for no one!

  10. Let this not turn into a flamewar.

    The policy at the moment (and has been for a while) is that if there is no explicit evidence of software piracy, then that's okay. I may well suspect you don't have a legally licensed version when you are talking about a particular program, but I have no evidence of such and I have no interest in being the copyright police. For all I know, you may actually have bought it.

    However, if you explicitly say the program is warez (or asking for warez, etc.) then you will get a warning.

    It should be noted that this stance may or may not change in the future so don't take it as gospel.

    For people wondering about movies, you may have seen that we often lock a thread or give warnings to members taking about AVI versions of new movies. This is simply because we know that a particular film has not been released for private consumer release and thus no "backup" could possibly have taken place. As such, the copyright breach is implicit.

    Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence

  11. Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Search Comp PM
    I think that a copyright breach _is_ "implicit".

    If you care enough about a $15 DVD to want to make a perfect backup of it... then you don't have the kind of cash to be taking out a second mortgage to buy Scenarist. Period.

    You cannot convince me, in any way, that anyone who can afford a $30,000 program CANNOT afford another copy of their $15 DVD.

    So the copyright breach is pretty evident.

    Still, I think the information is interesting and valid. However, let's call a spade a spade.

    - Gurm

  12. Member dcsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Y No Werk (anagram)
    Search Comp PM
    BY THE WAY THE CHEAP ROUTE TO SCENERIST IS HERE

    If you own FUSION or CREATOR (SONIC SOLUTIONS MAC PROGRAMS for AUTHORING)
    You can upgrade to SCENERIST for less than ten thousand dollars!

    So they also accept a trade in on earlier windows products like the hopeless REEL DVD but I dunno what that buys you

    It seem they aren't going to upgrade the MAC APPLICATIONS anytime soon (read = never)
    so to ease the pain of discontinuance ..they are urging you this way to dump the MAC platform for pro authoring!

  13. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Classified
    Search Comp PM
    Many other way to obtain it as well. Video reproduction closes shop and liquidates assets, auctions, 2nd hand private deals....etc.

    Point still being. As from the mod:

    "The policy at the moment (and has been for a while) is that if there is no explicit evidence of software piracy, then that's okay. I may well suspect you don't have a legally licensed version when you are talking about a particular program, but I have no evidence of such and I have no interest in being the copyright police. For all I know, you may actually have bought it. "

    If this is the rules why even bring up piracy? The topic was not do you really own the software you use.
    Dissapointed TX didn't get warning.

    This thread is completely off topic now and useless.

    Thanks again TX, keep up the good work

    J
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

    and I don't break them for no one!

  14. Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    way to be a follower there Gurm. your head is way too far up Tex's @ss right now so I think you better start thinking for yourself.

    first you post that the Big 3 are too difficult for the "average user" to implement and that the programs need to be further developed. and then you go off on Tex's tangent. make up your mind and wipe that $hit from your nose.

    and for everyone's comments about Tex, if you expected more from him then you obviously don't know who he is and what his game is about. I have been here just as long as he has, although I don't have the high number of useless posts to my name, but if you go back far enough and look at his posts you will be able to decide for yourself what Tex is all about. it sure is nice when you can post on a board and no one has any idea that you are much less important than you claim yourself to be.

    anyway, the reason Tex posts such garbage these days is that DVD backup is just not what it used to be. every answer can be found on these pages and so the "veterans" get tired of reposting the same things. with the development of new programs all the work has been taken out of dvd backup. if I mention ReMPEG2 most of you won't even have an idea of what I am talking about. but there was a time when people had to do these things step by step and these boards would be filled with how-to's and trouble shooting. now it seems to me that they are filled with useless banter and "my johnson is bigger than your johnson" type of discussions.

    I, myself, don't come here for information anymore. I am here to read amusing posts (much like this one), and throw in my useless 2 cents every now and then. You can comment all you like about my post and about this forum but be honest with yourself. This place isn't what it used to be.

    and in the words of Gurm. PERIOD.
    END OF DISCUSSION

  15. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    Amen

  16. How much quality will i lose from going to dvd9 to dvd5? Am i better of just using two discs or a 9.4 gb doublesided disc?

  17. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    if you have a dual sided recordable 9.4 disc

    use ifoedit to split the movie to 2 disc

    and put it on both sides

    as the 2 disc way is the only way that you will get 100% quality and everything

    doing a 9 to 5, you are going to lose something , be it quality, extras, etc.

  18. Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Search Comp PM
    *AHEM*

    What is the reality? Some of us use some software we don't own. Not gonna name names or point fingers.

    That's a SEPARATE issue from whether or not we happen to own Scenarist.

    My nose isn't in anyone's ass. I have more original thoughts before I get out of bed in the morning than you'll ever have.

    My original comments stand. If you have to tinker with scripts, the programs aren't ready for prime time. This is to be expected from hacker-tools.

    - Gurm

  19. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Texas USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jarvis1781
    your head is way too far up Tex's @ss right now so I think you better start thinking for yourself..........first you post that the Big 3 are too difficult for the "average user" to implement and that the programs need to be further developed. and then you go off on Tex's tangent. make up your mind and wipe that $hit from your nose..........and for everyone's comments about Tex, if you expected more from him then you obviously don't know who he is and what his game is about.
    You obviously don't what I'm about either. I'm here because I like to help hobbyists. This stuff isn't always easy. Not to listen to whiney people that also like to talk down to legal software owners on the side. For every dipstick like that, there are at least five people grateful for my info. Even at the suggested ten thousand dollar price tag above, which I've never seen, but may well be possible, that is far above normal consumer spending costs. Most of them gripe about $200 for the burner and $2 each for the media. Last I checked, this site was almost completely consumers. Just a few pros, and we talk amongst ourselves through PM here and there, often to make fun of the goobers out there or otherwise talk shop at an advanced level.

    If you actually own Scenarist, you're using it to make new content at the pro level, not backups discs.

    When we have dozens of posters talking about Scenarist, when several of them obviously have stolen software, some of us get even more miffed when you talk down to a person using DVD2one or DVDshrink. It's no better than you stealing a Porshe and then going to work and telling all your co-workers they have crap vehicles and will never know the real pleasure of driving. Get real.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.

  20. Originally Posted by jarvis1781
    yeah Gurm, I have to disagree as well

    you say "useless.....Period". useless for you maybe because you don't have patience to figure it out. once you set up the programs you never have to touch them again. all you do is start DoItFast4U and it reads your mounted .iso

    then you click a few check marks to either keep or delete audio and subtitle tracks. the rest is done for you. so as far as "useless....period", you have to be a dullard not to be able to figure it out. it is just as simple as using DVDShrink to select or unselect tracks.

    and if you think ifoupdate is difficult (finding original ifo and backed up ifo) then you really shouldn't be touching a computer, because it is only a matter of click, open, click, open.
    You can call the masses dullards and tell the massess that they shouldn't be touching a computer but the masses = the majority of people out there. There's no way in the world the average joe will use this. Here's the true test....setup all this for your friend on his computer. Tell him to go at it after showing him once or twice then see how long it lasts. I bet as soon as one problem crops up that be the end of that.

    DVD2SVCD was one of my all time favorite software for making SVCD backups. I could never get any of my friends to use it as they thought it was overly complex even if I spent much time showing them how to do it on their computer and told them just hit open then Start Conversion then burn the .bin and .cue.

    I don't know if I could use the big 3...I'm guessing not but maybe if I sat down for an 'all day 12 hour saturday' I probably could squeek by. If I really cared about 1:1 rather than main movie only backups I probably would spend the necessary time to figure the Big 3 out.

    This is the Big 3 guide http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ra-guide.htm and there is nothing wrong with the guide it just makes my head spin with all the parameters to set and options to explore.

    And then you have people who think DVD2DVD-R is too hard which is probably correct. DVD2DVD-R, initially, I thought maybe the masses could use it, but DVD2DVD-R obviously is overly complex (not for me or you) but for the masses. Remember the masses usually don't even post to forums...yes a tiny percent of them will read some forums here and there so people that are posting usually don't represent the masses.

    Offtopic but trying to point out what 'masses' mean:
    Wanna know what I did today at work? Wrote a stupid tutorial with pretty pictures on 'howto map a network drive' cuz most people at my corporation are numbnuts ..errr hmmmm I mean they are the masses and don't have clue about computers, etc. Also I recently sent a company wide email explaining what a 'browser' is...I swear to Moses. Everytime I tell them open up 'windows explorer' they open up IE...I could go on for days.
    www.mrbass.org DVDShrink | DVD2DVD | DVDFAB | Mac

  21. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Classified
    Search Comp PM
    mrbass,

    Many good points made but you are way off with scenarist.
    The reason the BIG 3 is so awesome is because you get to use the best encoder and thanks to aquabubble we have Reauthorist. Reauthorist will make script in secs and you just open scenarist.....load script......check one box and press start. I think it is 4 buttons you push.
    There is some setup req. in the other programs but the guide explains it throughly and it takes at most even for the avg. person no more than 1 hour.

    TX,

    If it was me who was talking down to people using programs like IC7, DVDone or DVDshrink I apologize. That was not my intention in any way.
    I use those programs and they all work great.


    To everyone.....I am only trying to get across that even if you don't care about extra features some movies are still too large to be transcoded and have excellent quality.

    Now if you don't care about quality.....then no need to worry about the BIG 3.

    For anyone who will be getting a 30" + HI DEF. tv.....and does not want to see blocks throughout the movie.......BIG 3 is the way to go for compression which requires IMO 70% or less of original size.

    I am not a pro by any means just an avg. joe who has read and tested a lot of different methods. Reauthorist IMO has made drastic differences for me. I could not use CCE previous to Reauthorist because after reading first page of scenarist guide I gave up.


    J
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

    and I don't break them for no one!

  22. How many $'s for this wonderful stuff. For us rookies?

  23. @jnk76
    I'm aware...dvd2dvd-r generates a scenarist script too. It's easy. But I still think your not the average joe.
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvd2dvdr/scenarist.html
    www.mrbass.org DVDShrink | DVD2DVD | DVDFAB | Mac

  24. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Classified
    Search Comp PM
    mrbass,

    I will take that as compliant but there are many I see much more advanced than I. I do consider many options, read a lot and try a lot but that is what everyone should do.
    Coming from the IC7 master I am surprised.
    That link you gave me....I'm confused to your point.
    Is that showing the steps or is it supposed be difficult?

    I find using the BIG 3 just as easy as DVD2SVCD when I was burning SVCD's.

    Have you tried it?
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

    and I don't break them for no one!

  25. I'm trying to be really careful here. I realize my comments are being monitored. Almost like East Germany east of check point Charlie. But here goes:

    I agree with Mr. Bass.

    Profound enough?

    Hopefully that was okay. And not beyond the pale.

  26. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Are you implying that this place has gotten a tad PC? Nah!
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!

  27. I'm saying it's simplistic once you figure it out I agree. The Big 3 ...no I only tried it before Re-Authorist and didn't have much success (probably due to my own fault or just using difficult dvds to backup).

    I'd love to see an average joe...get a hold of cce, scenarist, doitcce4u, doitfast4u, re-authorist, daemon-tools, dvddecrypter, installed them all then follow that guide and make a successful backup. I know most of my friends (ok all of them) won't get past the first step to begin with.

    Now if someone who has a some experience using dvdshrink, clonedvd, ic7, etc. willing to give this a shot and prove me wrong. Please report on your success and how many hours do you invest in the process.

    My whole point is the Big 3 isn't for the masses. That's about it.
    www.mrbass.org DVDShrink | DVD2DVD | DVDFAB | Mac

  28. Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Search Comp PM
    I agree that for us geeks, the big 3 isn't "hard". But for most people it is.

    For most of us, installing Linux and setting it up isn't "hard". But for the average user it's an unachievable nightmare dream.

    I'll give this all another shot and then comment further. And I agree - this is most likely a niche market sort of thing, for the rare time that you want MUCH tighter compression and transcoding doesn't cut it.

    Then again, there's the "I can't tell the difference between level 2 and level 8 in DVD Shrink" crowd, who obviously have no need for any of this. ROFL.

    - Gurm

  29. Originally Posted by Gurm
    I think that a copyright breach _is_ "implicit".

    If you care enough about a $15 DVD to want to make a perfect backup of it... then you don't have the kind of cash to be taking out a second mortgage to buy Scenarist. Period.

    You cannot convince me, in any way, that anyone who can afford a $30,000 program CANNOT afford another copy of their $15 DVD.
    The time I spend backing up my DVDs to VCDs cost more than the original DVD itself. I still do it (because I find the hobby fun).

    Just because someone owns expensive software, doesn't mean they will automatically not backup their DVDs. That is a flawed arguement.

    For example, I may be rich enough to have a chauffer, but that doesn't mean I won't want to drive the car myself as well.

    In any case, my before mentioned statement still stands. There are people on this forum who obvious actually have licensed versions of very expensive software -- be it they are rich or are part of the industry. I can't discriminate between people who have it legally and those who don't easily. I can guess, but I can't be sure. As such, we presume innocence unless there is obvious evidence.

    Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence




Similar Threads