VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. What I would like to do is replace the DVDXCopy Warning vob (video_ts.vob) file with a custom intro. I'd like to have the DD, DTS, or THX trailer at the front of each disc, depending on what audio the disc is in. I thought that'd be cool for my home theater DVD's.

I was wondering if anyone has sucessfully done this or knows a way? I've tried just replacing the file, no go (Nero gives errors). Ive tried replacing the file and updating the info in IFOEdit, didn't work either (I hit Get VTS Sectors) and saved, but that didn't work. I'm not entirely sure I'm using IFOEdit right. I am able to just delete playback of the DVD Warning, but I don't know how to replace that file and get IFO to update the data pertaining to the VOB.

Can anyone help me with this and walk me through it? It'd be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    rip the movie with smartripper
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok that had nothing to do with what I asked. Anyone else have some HELPFUL info.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi there, saw your post and did not know if to reply. As I do not know much about thi program. But you could try looking at VOBEDIT to see if that helps!
    Keep going till you get it right!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i just tried to help your ignorant butt out

you don't have to worry about that anymore

learn how to do it by yourself

since that was a way to do it without that warning

because you don't even use that program and ifoedit is free
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now now girls no need to fall out. Vance43211 had a valid point even tho it wasnt a direct answer to your question, ifoedit will do exactly the same as dvdxcopy the only difference is that ifoedit is free and you dont get the warning, also dvdxcopy will copy protect the disc so you cannot copy the copy (at least not with dvdxcopy, although other progs will copy it) so why bother with dvdxcopy.

As to removing the warning the only way to do it would be to replace the video_ts.vob with another one of exactly the same size and properties of the original eg same type/size video and audio etc, this i think would be very hard to come by unless you know a way of creating such a .vob file
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ive been trying to do some similar things, but I don't know how to do the replacing -- to get rid of of disclaimer though, just use Vobrator and open up the video_ts.ifo. Play each one and find out which is the DVDXCOPY one. Go into IfoEdit and delete playback of that particular VOB -- done this nicely on like 10 dvd's now...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry -- that's the video_ts.vob in vobrator NOT video_ts.ifo
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry again -- didn't read that original post too closely -- you already know how to do everything I said...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i actually know a way around that (his original problem)

shoot, i can do exactly what he wants
    make the trailers the main menus without dvdxcopy

i was just trying to explain to him that using

ifoedit to split it to 2 dvds was a simpler process

but as you can see

some people are ungrateful

i'll never tell him how to do it now

ungrateful people shouldn't be helped
    Quote Quote  
  11. vance43211 - honestly, shut up.

1. I dont want to use any other program.

2. I DONT want to divide a movie between 2 disc. All I need to know is how to re-edit the video_ts.ifo for a new VOB file. I'm sure there is a simple way of doing it with IFOedit, but I've yet to figure it out.

3. Im NOT worried about the disclaimer, as stated, its VERY east to turn it off. What I want to do is simply REPLACE it with a trailer of my choice.

Again you didn't READ my post. I need a good answer and not one that makes 2 disc and uses all these other useless software programs. I just need ideas on how to replace the warning with a new vob and edit the original video_ts.ifo and have the sectors match up against the vob.

I don't want the trailers as the main menus. I could do that in any other DVD editing program.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by psx_pirate
    Now now girls no need to fall out. Vance43211 had a valid point even tho it wasnt a direct answer to your question, ifoedit will do exactly the same as dvdxcopy the only difference is that ifoedit is free and you dont get the warning, also dvdxcopy will copy protect the disc so you cannot copy the copy (at least not with dvdxcopy, although other progs will copy it) so why bother with dvdxcopy.

As to removing the warning the only way to do it would be to replace the video_ts.vob with another one of exactly the same size and properties of the original eg same type/size video and audio etc, this i think would be very hard to come by unless you know a way of creating such a .vob file
    I know exactly how to remove the edit. It's very easy and I'm not worried about it. What you actually helped with is the fact that the vob might have to be the same size and properties. What I was originally asking was if there is a way to edit the IFO to see a new size/sector of a different vob file.

Anyone else know?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    my guess would be to get another Menu Vob just containing the trailer you want and see what size/sectors it has and edit the DVDXCopy one and then replace the VOb with your new one

then Get VTS Sectors

I dunno really cos I aint tried yet but I would try that 1st cos it's something I've wanted to learn but couldn't be bothered to play with

there will be more to it but I ain't experimented yet though

p.s. @vance43211 if I'm your friend will you PM your solution please to save me the trouble of experimenting?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Well someone was kind enough to send me some information that actually worked perfectly!!! It was exactly what I thought, a simple IFOEdit walk through that can add any trailer to your video_ts.vob file to start your movie. For me I've picked the DD, DTS, or THX intro for my disc based on the movies audio.

Below is the text

"3. Start IFOedit, use the Open button, browse to the Disk 1 Dir, and load VIDEO_TS.IFO.
    Now push the Menu Extras button, Browse to a Destination Dir (this is a Temp Dir, because in the next step he copy 3 files to this DIR, later you copy them back to the Disk 1 Dir)
    Keep everything as it is and push the OK button (on this screen you only changed the Destination Dir).
    Now you get a list of VOB ID's (here you must tag the ID's you want to keep)
    In our previous example you keep (and have to tag) 1, 2, 3, 10, 12
    Now push the Strip It button, and when he is finished you can close IFOedit.
    There are 3 Files in your Temp dir: VIDEO_TS.VOB, VIDEO_TS.BUP, and VIDEO_TS.IFO, these are the fixed files.
    Copy the 3 Files to your Disk 1 Dir and overwrite the old files.

I tried it out on a DVD+RW and A movie I just happen to have ripped on my HD. IT came out great and I'm very happy with it.

There is NO need to use smart ripper or other software to achieve this. Once you have it ripped, all you need to do is use IFO. Wonderful!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi all.

likelinus, could you also post step 1 and 2?

Thanks in advance.
    ddlooping
    For DVD Shrink guides & goodies: DVDShrink.info
    My "other" site: Teaching-Tools
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by ddlooping
    Hi all.

likelinus, could you also post step 1 and 2?

Thanks in advance.
    Yeah no problem

Before you can start, you need 3 little programs.
    1. DVD Decrypter
    http://www.doom9.org
    2. VOBrator
    http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/encoding_vobutils.html
    3. IFOedit
    http://www.doom9.org
    Use for the first two disks (you make with dvdxcopy) DVDRW's
    You need them only for the first step and later you can re-use them again.
    After you have your copy from the movie on two RW's we start the ripping procedure.

1. Use DVDdecrypter to copy your first disk to your harddisk, copy everything.
    2. Start VOBrator , use the Open and Scan button, and browse to the dir you copied your first disk and load VIDEO_TS.VOB
    You get a whole tree of VOB ID's (like VOB (id=1) VOB (id=2) a.s.o.)
    Between the VOB ID's there is some other stuff (like NAV (0xBB) VES (0xE0) PS1 (1xBD) AES (0x80) ) but for now only the VOBid lines are important for us.
    When you are on a VOB ID, there become a play button active on the bottom of VOBrator.
    If you play this VOB ID, he show you what it is. This can be a intro, or an FBI warning in different languages (every language has his own VOB ID), or "DVD - BACKUP" (From our friends 123 Studios). Write down the VOB ID's you want to strip, and write down how many VOB ID's there are.
    If a VOB ID don't show anything, or give an error (failed to render graph), don't strip this VOB ID, this can be a small message at the end of disk 1 saying that you have to put in disk 2, this one we keep.
    Example:
    This movie has 12 VOB ID's
    VOB ID 1 keep (intro Columbia Tristar)
    VOB ID 2 keep (intro Sony DVD)
    VOB ID 3 keep (intro Dolby Digital)
    VOB ID 4 strip (FBI warning ENG)
    VOB ID 5 strip (FBI warning GER)
    VOB ID 6 strip (FBI warning IT)
    VOB ID 7 strip (FBI warning ESP)
    VOB ID 8 strip (FBI warning NL)
    VOB ID 9 strip (FBI warning FR)
    VOB ID 10 keep (black screen)
    VOB ID 11 strip (DVD-BACKUP from 321 Studios)
    VOB ID 12 keep (error, but this is, insert disk 2)

Now you have your list, end VOBrator.

3. Start IFOedit, use the Open button, browse to the Disk 1 Dir, and load VIDEO_TS.IFO.
    Now push the Menu Extras button, Browse to a Destination Dir (this is a Temp Dir, because in the next step he copy 3 files to this DIR, later you copy them back to the Disk 1 Dir)
    Keep everything as it is and push the OK button (on this screen you only changed the Destination Dir).
    Now you get a list of VOB ID's (here you must tag the ID's you want to keep)
    In our previous example you keep (and have to tag) 1, 2, 3, 10, 12
    Now push the Strip It button, and when he is finished you can close IFOedit.
    There are 3 Files in your Temp dir: VIDEO_TS.VOB, VIDEO_TS.BUP, and VIDEO_TS.IFO, these are the fixed files.
    Copy the 3 Files to your Disk 1 Dir and overwrite the old files.
    Now, for a check start IFOedit, Open VIDEO_TS.IFO, push the DVD Play button, and there is your fixed movie.
    Sometimes IFOedit gives a error (this is not a valid DVD) but if you overrule this, the movie starts.
    Now startup Nero, make a new DVD-Video compilation, use ISO Level 1 and ISO 9660 , (don't use any other option from the ISO tab) push the New button, open the VIDEO_TS Directory, Browse with the Filebrowser to your Disk 1 Dir and copy all Files to the open VIDEO_TS Dir.
    If Nero is ready with your Disk 1, take it to your external DVD player, and watch you fixed movie on your BIG screen Television.

Have FUN

There you go!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

"After you did Disk 2 the same way, you can erase both RW disks and rent your next movie". That's very cheeky and could get you in trouble.
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  18. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Am I missing something?

that guide just looks like an intro stripping guide and not an actual insertion of a Dolby trailer

please correct me if I'm wrong cos I've read it a few times

also there should be no need to use a RW either and if you wanna know just ask
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm not at my home computer where I can try any of this, but this is an interesting discussion to me on one point -- can this process be used to replace the "Insert Disk 2" slide that comes up at the end of Disk 1 of a multiple disk copy (using DVDXCopy)?

I didn't think so originally because I couldn't find any seperate VOB that contained this -- thought that somehow DXC was attaching this to another VOB with no way to unattach it -- but now I'm thinking it's possible.

It's easy to use IFOEdit to bypass the first screen, but for those of us who do multiple disk backups with DXC it would sure be nice to use our own slide for disk changeovers -- if anyone has done this I would love to hear specific instructions how (and I'm not trying to hijack this thread, because I think the steps used to replace the first VOB might well be exactly what I'm looking for).
    "Like a knife, he cuts through life, like every day's his last" -- Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not at my home computer where I can try any of this, but this is an interesting discussion to me on one point -- can this process be used to replace the "Insert Disk 2" slide that comes up at the end of Disk 1 of a multiple disk copy (using DVDXCopy)?
    I'm not at home either to verify this, but I do recall when I was looking for a way to get rid of the pre movie warning, that I stumbled across a number of image (bmp or jpg?) files. So, with that in mind, I would think that you would just need to locate the one that has the picture of "insert disc 2" and replace it with your own by performing a simple rename and answer yes to the overwrite. Hopefully, this will be the simple solution as I know this has worked for me when altering other programs' pictures to suit my tastes. Good luck!
    NickBurns - "It's the software that's stupid, not you... right?"
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks, likelinus.
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  22. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I missing something?

that guide just looks like an intro stripping guide and not an actual insertion of a Dolby trailer

please correct me if I'm wrong cos I've read it a few times

also there should be no need to use a RW either and if you wanna know just ask

I would have to agree with this -- all that guide does is allow the dolby trailer to play first when you've stripped out the other things -- it's not an acutal guide on how to insert the trailer. I think you might be able to do it by extracting the somehow and using DVDFab to create a new Video_ts.ifo...who knows....[/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You probably can only add something like that using high end authoring programs like scenarist or maestro.

If the org. menus are not important.....then it is easy.
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

and I don't break them for no one!
    Quote Quote  
  24. You can do similar things and more very simply with DVD Author (by importing .vobs), but you lose the subtitles.
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ddlooping,

Are the orginal menus intact?

J

Quote Quote  
  26. That's a very good question, jnk76, and to be honest, I don't know.

The only time I have used DVD Author was to make a compilation, and I created the menu with it too.

It might be worth a try.
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have never used it but I am pretty sure it can't keep original structure and then add a clip within the menu.

Quote Quote  
  28. I didnt write the post, so you cant hold me accountable for what it says. It's just a cut and paste from the email.

Ok guys. Deleting the actual Warning is fairly easy. When you make a copy with DVDXCopy Xpress or whatever, you need to find the VOB ID number (using IFOEdit) and then open the video_ts.ifo and find that same ID. AS with DVDXCOpy Xpress, the VOB for that intro is ALWAYS #1. So you scroll down to the very last part of the video_ts.vob and find the file that says

"Language Menu Unit 1"

it'll have

Menu 1" Entry Only Program Cell. And It'll have VOB ID 1
    Highlight that and click "delete playback"

This deletes the playback of the warning for DVDXCopy Xpress.

As far as adding an intro to the disc, what i posted above (Specifically the #3). You cut and paste your selected into ONTOP of the video_ts.vob (in the case of DVDXCopy, that is indeed the warning!). Once you do that, follow the directions to step 3

Open IFOEdit. Open your video. Hit "menu Extras", pick a destination (seperate from where your files are, this is a temp directory)

Then hit ok, then select the VOB ID 1, press STRIP IT.

This will create a brand new video_ts.vob, video_ts.buf, and video_ts.vob.

You then cut those three files and replace them ontop of your DVDXCopy output files. Now you have a DD/DTS/THX intro in the spot of the warning.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I am reading what you have posted and just not getting it...yes, it all makes sense if you already have a DTS or Dolby trailer already on the DVD -- I've authored them like that as well...but I thought you wanted to put one of thosetrailers onto EVERY movie you burn. Does the method describe how to do that? Correct me if I am wrong, but it doesn't look like you can use that method and keep a full working VIDEO_TS.VOB file. And maybe I don't know what I am talking about...
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have never tried to use IFOedit to add clips but from above thread it does not sound correct. I have never seen any guide about IFOedit that shows this method....actually I have never seen a guide anywhere giving instruction of keeping original dvd structure and just added something to it like a trailer.

Could be wrong here though.

J

Quote Quote