VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How do you think this forum is moderated.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Vance it seems you chose to ignore my last post. Stop being childish and blaming everyone but yourself for the warnings you have received.

txpharoah has not been issued a warning because he has not yet broken a rule. If you feel that he has then follow the proper procedure, which I have specifically asked you to do from now on in my PM, and report his post using the "report this post link.

I suggest you just worry about your own affairs because you are well on your way to being banned from this forum entirely.

For the last time, just drop it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, my point has been made once again.

I gave my honest opinion because that is what this thread was about. I also gave the mods a pretty high mark for the job they are doing. For this, I get inflammatory remarks by txpharoah and supreme2k who are (plain for all to see) instigators. All you 2 can do is call people whiners. Sad. Can't you guys stay on topic? If you disagree with any of my statements, please QUOTE me and give a coherent response.

Notice how none of the mods stepped in with inflammatory remarks. This is a sign of professionalism, and one of the reasons I give most of the mods a high mark.

Adam, thanks for stepping in and bringing to light what this thread was started for in the first place. The attitudes of txpharoah and supreme2k make it hard for people to give their honest opinions. Instead of calling someone a whiner, quote the poster and reply with where you disagree. This is what adults do.

Even though the mods get very high marks in my book, there is still an old saying that comes to mind. “There is always room for improvement” This is true in all aspects of life. If you are unaware of this concept, you need more schooling.

OK kiddies, do what you do best, call me a whiner (inflammatory) and then make snide remarks so you can feel good about yourself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. If you can show "inflammatory remarks" directed at anyone specifically within my post to the mods, me or anyone else, I will completely quit posting on these boards. The only person who I mentioned by name was aybesea, and those were words of encouragement.

You, on the other hand, specifically point out your vendetta against txpharoah and supreme2k several times.

Like I said before, some people need to let things go and move on (if the shoe fits, oh well). They need to stop ragging on the mods to settle their personal scores.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    if you all are going to ban me for speaking the truth

so be it

i guess i don't deserve to be on this forum then
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    supreme2k wrote:
    some people will always need scapegoats to keep themselves from shouldering ANY responsibility. Such crutch phrases as "Good Ol' Boys Club" and "racists" come to mind
    You wrote this before I said anything to you on this thread. It was directed at me.

How am I not sholdering responsibility? I've said time and time again that I have accepted my yellow card. How is this whining?

This what I wrote in this post. It is to the point, non inflamatory, and is NOT whining.

cplevel42 wrote:

I think in general the mods do a very good job here. It is quite apparent though that a couple of mods do tend to make inflammatory statements that seem to incite more heated responses. Not always, but sometimes.

One mode wrote:

Quote:
    It's like discussing something with a brick wall.

Even though there is a smiley face at the end of the statement, this in my opinion is not helpful or needed. No one likes to be called a brick wall, especially in the context of the thread it was coming from. Mods should be above this, although I understand that they are human and thus not perfect.

Then a poster wrote:

Quote:
    Yeah, but if my bricks talked back, I'd demolish the building.

That is not a smiley face at the end of that statement. This was stupid. I'm not saying that the poster should get a yellow card, maybe a polite warning from a mod instead. I'm sure that both of these statements made the person who they were directed at feel like they were being attacked. When you are attacked what do you do? Run? Not me! I think some of you really get your jollies from seeing a good fight.

I got my yellow card from TGPO. He didn't scold me like a 5-year-old child. He let me know that I made a mistake and that everything was cool as long as it didn't happen again. I was OK with that and did not feel that I needed to respond in a negative way. It was basically over and I never asked for the warning to be rescinded. I only had a problem with my PM being posted because I was under the assumption that they were private. Now that I know that they are NOT, and that the mods stand behind this, I don't PM anything that I would put in a regular post.

TGPO's warning was respectful and lent much to diffusing the argument. Sometimes it seems that we have to get four or five mods each delivering their own blows when then the original mod seems to be handling it just fine.

All in all though, I think the mods do very well here. We are all people and we all make mistakes. I just hope that in the future, mods are not so quick to hand out the little yellow cards to newbies, and a little harsher on the long standing members because if anyone should know better it should be them.

This will be very hard for the mods though, because the mods (most of them have been here for a while) have become good friends with the long time posters. It's hard to yellow card your friend and a lot easier to yellow card a newbie you don't know from jack.
    Why do continue on? Your not getting any brownie points. I wouldn't even be discussing any of this, but the question was posed in this thread. I did not start this thread, but if the question is being posed, I feel free to voice my opinion. It is fair and honest.

Now Tex showing a guy burning in a microwave. OK it's funny and has some entertainment value, but it's also childish and violent. If I was a mod I tell him to stop that. How many newbies does this guy away from the site per week? What about this guy who went back to lurking because of the same kind of treatment? Wake up!
    Quote Quote  
  6. You don't have to agree with the forum policies and in just the same way, you don't have to post here either. There is no need in making yourself look any more idiotic than you have already done.
    First sentence was bang on. However, what point was served by the second sentence. It is inflamatory and will ONLY serve to get a retalitation. I can understand the human nature of wanting get some measure of retribution but I totally do not understand why a moderator would make such a comment while locking down a thread.
    I think that I probably wrote this from memory. I don't have any shame in admitting it.

As to the second statement, you are right, I probably shouldn't have posted it in the context of the moderation. As why I posted it, I probably thought the poster was being an idiot and usually someone will have to do multiple things repeatedly in the same thread for me to think that ... but that doesn't excuse the post. So I apologise to whoever that remark was directed to.

I think in general the mods do a very good job here. It is quite apparent though that a couple of mods do tend to make inflammatory statements that seem to incite more heated responses. Not always, but sometimes.

One mode wrote:

Quote:

Even though there is a smiley face at the end of the statement, this in my opinion is not helpful or needed. No one likes to be called a brick wall, especially in the context of the thread it was coming from. Mods should be above this, although I understand that they are human and thus not perfect.
    There is perhaps merit in this but before you start putting the mods on a high pedestal that no one can achieve, I don't think you should expect any standard directed towards you that is any higher than what you portray.

If you start being combative/sarcastic/or just plain rude, don't be particularly surprised if someone is so just back towards you.

Quote:

That is not a smiley face at the end of that statement. This was stupid. I'm not saying that the poster should get a yellow card, maybe a polite warning from a mod instead. I'm sure that both of these statements made the person who they were directed at feel like they were being attacked. When you are attacked what do you do? Run? Not me! I think some of you really get your jollies from seeing a good fight.
    Why should that person get a warning? Sure, it was a comment directed towards you and probably inflammatory, but I don't find it particularly obscene or offensive. If we simply locked every inflammatory comment, they would be one of the most censored forums on the web.

The original person thought that you were obtuse in the context of the thread. If you truly believe you aren't, then you can safely ignore the comment as the content of your posts will do nothing more than highlight the incongruity of that statement.

I only had a problem with my PM being posted because I was under the assumption that they were private. Now that I know that they are NOT, and that the mods stand behind this, I don't PM anything that I would put in a regular post.

TGPO's warning was respectful and lent much to diffusing the argument. Sometimes it seems that we have to get four or five mods each delivering their own blows when then the original mod seems to be handling it just fine.
    That is certainly your opinion and I respect that. You should understand that from MY perspective, it simply seemed that you continued not to understand why we don't particularly mind "bad" PMs to be posted in public. I personally think that the best handling of such PMs is by private post to a moderator, but I can't see any reason they can't be posted in public either.

...I just hope that in the future, mods are not so quick to hand out the little yellow cards to newbies, and a little harsher on the long standing members because if anyone should know better it should be them.
    There are probably less then 20 yellow cards dished out since the system has started so it is hardly quick... If anything, I think we underuse the card system because we are not used to it.

This will be very hard for the mods though, because the mods (most of them have been here for a while) have become good friends with the long time posters. It's hard to yellow card your friend and a lot easier to yellow card a newbie you don't know from jack.
    Not at all. If a long term user is being inappropriate, I wouldn't have any particular problem warning them. King John is a good example. He would have had at one time near the highest number of posts and was even a mod. He was banned eventually (well, his comings and goings were complex involving several user names).

Now Tex showing a guy burning in a microwave. OK it's funny and has some entertainment value, but it's also childish and violent. If I was a mod I tell him to stop that. How many newbies does this guy away from the site per week? What about this guy who went back to lurking because of the same kind of treatment? Wake up!
    Again as above. You obviously have a different threshold for censorship than me and perhaps you only see things from the perspective relative to YOU. However, we are the janitors for the whole forum. Tex's cartoons are childish I agree and they probably are inflammatory. But, it is intended in humour and if I starting dictating that stuff like that is not allowed, we would be censoring a WHOLE lot of stuff on the forums.

Do you consider some of your posts in the various flamewars have some merit? What about vance's posts or heretic's (I'm putting you guys together for no reason other than you have similar arguements). They are all inflammatory. At times even quite offensive. At times, direct insinuations of violence (one of vance's posts). Furthermore, none of them have any intention of humour. If you ask me to censor when tx has posted in that example, I will be censoring a whole lot of other stuff as well (including many of your posts).

Let me remind you, that although you and obviously other members on this forum have a beef about the moderating, we allow you to post your point of view. We don't edit or censor your posts, and no one has ever being given a yellow card for doing so (unless they were being particularly offensive). We don't delete threads containing complaints about the mods. We keep them up for public appraisal. I don't think we can be any fairer than that.

moderators go through great lenghts

to defend why they don't give txpharoah
    Vance, once again, big words but no reference. Why? Because there are none.

Your problem is that you constantly feel that everyone who doesn't agree with you is against you. Sorry, but that isn't true. Take it in your stride that you can be wrong or that there are simply people who don't agree with you.

I find it often ridiculous that you would point to a particular thread complaining of somebody's behaviour where in the same thread you are behaving extremely badly.

Take responsibility for your own posts first.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by txpharoah
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    color is spelled colour -- just the americans couldn't spell it right at one time and they stuck with it instead of admiting they were wrong . :P
    Don't forget centre and center. Theatre and theater.
    And aluminum/aluminium.
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Plinth/Base
    Perspex/Plexiglass
    Boot/Trunk

isn't this fun!

The only problem I have with the MODERERATION
    is not the moderation per se... but the tendency of posters, myself included to wander off topic on this great site..
    I wish our threads could be more to the point so thy're eminently searchable, and consiser (more lucid brevity, anyone?)

Can we add a spell chezch?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone sent me a private message to explain me what is happening here?

Also, since something about the "old members" mentioned here, has something of all this had to do with me? I know that I'm not the most popular person here (basicly from the emails I receive...), but hey, if I create so many problems around, I don't have any problem to stop posting!

I know that many forum members want to express things about me around here, so now which we have all our inside out, is the perfect opportunity for this!
    After all, I prefer this than recieving emails of a not so kind comments.....
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your problem is that you constantly feel that everyone who doesn't agree with you is against you. Sorry, but that isn't true. Take it in your stride that you can be wrong or that there are simply people who don't agree with you
    i've only got into one argument with txpharoah

it has been long forgotten. i never said you should warn him about it either. i also apologize to him about that argument too.

i'm talking about the way he talks to other people

he puts people down all of the time

i don't need to quote him

all you have to do is just go into his profile and read all of his posts

i'm done with this silly argument
    Quote Quote  
  11. tgpo should be a mod. WHO WANTS HIM AS A MOD?

Come on balderick, the people want it
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think he already is one
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by vitualis
    You don't have to agree with the forum policies and in just the same way, you don't have to post here either. There is no need in making yourself look any more idiotic than you have already done.
    First sentence was bang on. However, what point was served by the second sentence. It is inflamatory and will ONLY serve to get a retalitation. I can understand the human nature of wanting get some measure of retribution but I totally do not understand why a moderator would make such a comment while locking down a thread.
    I think that I probably wrote this from memory. I don't have any shame in admitting it.

As to the second statement, you are right, I probably shouldn't have posted it in the context of the moderation. As why I posted it, I probably thought the poster was being an idiot and usually someone will have to do multiple things repeatedly in the same thread for me to think that ... but that doesn't excuse the post. So I apologise to whoever that remark was directed to.

One mode wrote:

Quote:

There is perhaps merit in this but before you start putting the mods on a high pedestal that no one can achieve, I don't think you should expect any standard directed towards you that is any higher than what you portray.

If you start being combative/sarcastic/or just plain rude, don't be particularly surprised if someone is so just back towards you.

Quote:

Why should that person get a warning? Sure, it was a comment directed towards you and probably inflammatory, but I don't find it particularly obscene or offensive. If we simply locked every inflammatory comment, they would be one of the most censored forums on the web.

The original person thought that you were obtuse in the context of the thread. If you truly believe you aren't, then you can safely ignore the comment as the content of your posts will do nothing more than highlight the incongruity of that statement.

I only had a problem with my PM being posted because I was under the assumption that they were private. Now that I know that they are NOT, and that the mods stand behind this, I don't PM anything that I would put in a regular post.

That is certainly your opinion and I respect that. You should understand that from MY perspective, it simply seemed that you continued not to understand why we don't particularly mind "bad" PMs to be posted in public. I personally think that the best handling of such PMs is by private post to a moderator, but I can't see any reason they can't be posted in public either.

...I just hope that in the future, mods are not so quick to hand out the little yellow cards to newbies, and a little harsher on the long standing members because if anyone should know better it should be them.
    There are probably less then 20 yellow cards dished out since the system has started so it is hardly quick... If anything, I think we underuse the card system because we are not used to it.

Not at all. If a long term user is being inappropriate, I wouldn't have any particular problem warning them. King John is a good example. He would have had at one time near the highest number of posts and was even a mod. He was banned eventually (well, his comings and goings were complex involving several user names).

Again as above. You obviously have a different threshold for censorship than me and perhaps you only see things from the perspective relative to YOU. However, we are the janitors for the whole forum. Tex's cartoons are childish I agree and they probably are inflammatory. But, it is intended in humour and if I starting dictating that stuff like that is not allowed, we would be censoring a WHOLE lot of stuff on the forums.

Do you consider some of your posts in the various flamewars have some merit? What about vance's posts or heretic's (I'm putting you guys together for no reason other than you have similar arguements). They are all inflammatory. At times even quite offensive. At times, direct insinuations of violence (one of vance's posts). Furthermore, none of them have any intention of humour. If you ask me to censor when tx has posted in that example, I will be censoring a whole lot of other stuff as well (including many of your posts).

Let me remind you, that although you and obviously other members on this forum have a beef about the moderating, we allow you to post your point of view. We don't edit or censor your posts, and no one has ever being given a yellow card for doing so (unless they were being particularly offensive). We don't delete threads containing complaints about the mods. We keep them up for public appraisal. I don't think we can be any fairer than that.

moderators go through great lenghts

to defend why they don't give txpharoah
    Vance, once again, big words but no reference. Why? Because there are none.

Your problem is that you constantly feel that everyone who doesn't agree with you is against you. Sorry, but that isn't true. Take it in your stride that you can be wrong or that there are simply people who don't agree with you.

I find it often ridiculous that you would point to a particular thread complaining of somebody's behaviour where in the same thread you are behaving extremely badly.

Take responsibility for your own posts first.

Regards.
    1. I have never seen as many words as that in my life !!!

2. Mod's do a good job
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarthBooker
    tgpo should be a mod. WHO WANTS HIM AS A MOD?

Come on balderick, the people want it

......I am a mod
    Quote Quote  
  15. The light blue text indicates moderator status
    Quote Quote  
  16. OH!!

I just thought you were some mac user who everyone takes the mick out of in polls. No offence.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just thought you were some mac user who everyone takes the mick out of in polls.
    LOL....I am. :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OH!!

I just thought you were some mac user who everyone takes the mick out of in polls. No offence.

Stop it, you're killing me
    In all seriousness I think it's terrible Baldrick only permits him to post in off-topic
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vitualis, thank you for staying on topic and not resorting to LAME statements about whining. I have given consideration to the points that you made.

I'll do my best to do the same. When posting here, I do my best to stay on topic, not to make personal attacks and if I have a problem with somebody’s statement, I'll quote them and give REAL reasons as to why I disagree with them. These responses about whining and being a crybaby are childish and just incite more kiddy behavior.

For the record, I was NOT recommending that you hand out yellow cards here, just occasional verbal warnings, like "hey...let's keep it civil" and such and so forth; small reminders really, and only for those that NEED it.
    Chris Tucker and Adam seem to be good at this. I have seen him step in occasionally with a very short comment that keeps the thread on track. This is all that I'm really talking about.

Thanks again for staying on topic and giving some honest replies.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know how the moderators do it. The urge can be overwhelming to set your phasers on deep-fat-fry and light up some 2-post newb that says
    I downloaded this file, yasee,a nd I NEED!!!! to burn it to watch on my PS2 in the next three minutes
    anyone?
    Help me please
    ???
    Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllp
    And when someone says "read a guide" and get's a sharp retort for their effort, which in turn invites a "look moron RTFM before you ask for what everyone knows" comment......

I think they show great restraint.

Racial issues? I haven't seen squat about them. There's a lot of NTSC/PAL issues, and most people try and state their local currency when quoting a price. All in all the Moderators do a good job compared to many, many other forums.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    All in all the Moderators do a good job compared to many, many other forums.
    I've been to a lot of forums where they have picked the mods beforehand and don't ever add new mods. What may set us apart is the fact that all of the mods where once regular members.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cplevel42
    Chris Tucker and Adam seem to be good at this.
    Is this Craig's brother?
    Man, this place is crawling with Swindonites
    Will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Man, this place is crawling with Swindonites
    What is a swindonite? Is this an ass kisser or a pig (swine) or both?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is a swindonite?
    He's from Swindon, a place in the South of England.

Is this an ass kisser or a pig (swine) or both?
    Neither.
    Will Hay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    chris tucker is an american actor. he has starred in friday and rush hour.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Will Hay
    And aluminum/aluminium.
    Really? Mine is "aluminum". Huh.

Originally Posted by dcsos
    Plinth/Base
    Perspex/Plexiglass
    Boot/Trunk
    Stange. We're speaking English, yet we're not. I don't think I've had to get a dictionary out this much in a long, long time.

Your words are funny. But I'm sure it goes both ways. :P

Originally Posted by dcsos
    Can we add a spell chezch?
    By all mean, we need more Czechs here. I guess they have Internet widespread. Never met/seen one online.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lory/Truck
    Lift/Elevater
    Trousers/Pants
    Quote Quote  
  28. TGPO is a facist bully boy
    Wait, it thought TGPO was the DVD Fairy. How do you get a Facist Fairy?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    TGPO is a facist bully boy
    Wait, it thought TGPO was the DVD Fairy. How do you get a Facist Fairy?
    I wear many faces around here. Right now I have my Will Hay face on. :P
    Quote Quote  
  30. Chris Tucker is class

"You go this way I go that way?"

Rush hour 2 rules, just got it off the net..... I mean from Blockbuster
    Quote Quote