VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How do you think this forum is moderated.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    Originally Posted by txpharoah
    what the heck is "whinging" anyway?
    You Americans are missing out on a truly great word. I'm sure my fellow Australians (and apparently the British too) will agree to that.

Regards.
    Yup.
    Apparently it's all I did between the age of 3 and 15
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    Originally Posted by txpharoah
    what the heck is "whinging" anyway?
    You Americans are missing out on a truly great word. I'm sure my fellow Australians (and apparently the British too) will agree to that.
    Regards.
    I need one of them foreign dictionaries.

Though my unabridged America Heritage dictionary has never been missing a word before, maybe it's just too American this time around.

Mine says "whinge" isn't a word. Only "whine". Maybe the "G" is silent. Must be one of those British things, though I can pull up other words:
    Example: "col·our (n.) --col·our v. Chiefly British. Variant of color."

Trust me, I whined/whinged/complained when I was a kid.

How do you pronounce this word? This "whinged" thing?

Seriously, I'm curious. Do you say the "g". Sort of a like a door being "hinged"? But with a 'W' sound at the beginning? Or is it more like the alcohol "wine"?

Let me know. I'm clueless here across the big pond.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think that they are doing a good job issuing cards when needed. And I also think that this site would be very unpleasant to visit if they were not here.

SLICK RICK
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Nobody likes a bunch of yackity-yack.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i looked it up also - see here http://www.infosecuritymag.com/2003/jan/curmudgeon.shtml

The British have a marvelous word, "whinging"--the practice of complaining without doing anything about it. Security practitioners love to "whinge."

The British have a marvelous word-- "whinging"--which refers to the practice of complaining without doing anything about it. As in, "Everybody whinges about the weather, but nobody does anything about it."
    maybe i got the wrong meaning ..

color is spelled colour -- just the americans couldn't spell it right at one time and they stuck with it instead of admiting they were wrong . :P
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    color is spelled colour -- just the americans couldn't spell it right at one time and they stuck with it instead of admiting they were wrong . :P
    Don't forget centre and center. Theatre and theater.

Thanks. So then... whinge = whine + too lazy to fix it.

Though I'm still curious how they pronounce "whinge". Need a Brit to set me straight.

Ya' never know what you may learn on these boards. Expanded my vocabulary today. Woo-hoo!

Edit: Nevermind. http://www.bartleby.com/61/97/W0119750.html
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Allright my two cents worth.
    First, I think that the moderators do a decent job of trying to keep law and order within this forum.

Having said that, however, the moderators are only human too and often times get caught up in the heat of the moment as well. Which is truly unfortunate because they must remain above reproach and SET the example and not become the example.

Let me share one quote from a locked thread. OBTW, I happen to agree with moderators choice of locking the thread. However, the example chosen is:
    "Moderator to remain nameless" but his exact quote is below.

You don't have to agree with the forum policies and in just the same way, you don't have to post here either. There is no need in making yourself look any more idiotic than you have already done.

First sentence was bang on. However, what point was served by the second sentence. It is inflamatory and will ONLY serve to get a retalitation. I can understand the human nature of wanting get some measure of retribution but I totally do not understand why a moderator would make such a comment while locking down a thread.

So if there are comments about the quality of judgement of moderators. This can only serve as an example of what others are seeing.

For myself, I think that for the majority of moderators and for the majority of the times, they do a good job. However, being a moderator requires even a higher standard.

Keep up the good job but maintain some distance from heated conversations.

Ed
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whinge is pronounced with the "h" silent- so try saying it like hinge just with a w instead of the h
    Quote Quote  
  8. I voted for
    The moderators are fair and get it just about right.

.....but sometimes a bit liberal.

The people here should moderate themselves
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whining = Whinging more or less it appears .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The moderators are just fine. Some of them are really ungly (just look the face of Craig Tucker), also I want to see tgpo in a role beyond the one of the facist bully boy who is today...
    But yeah, they are doing a great job.

Also, Baldrick was clever enough to never make me a moderator! With my temper, I could ban easily half the people here. If that doesn't proove something, then nothing does! :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been visting this site almost daily for about 9 months now. though i just recently joined and dont post much i do read alot of the threads. I think the mods do a great job.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have to give the mods 2 thumbs up, they do a nice job!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Treebeard
    I have to give the mods 2 thumbs up, they do a nice job!

And we'll take on anyone that gets in our way on Sunday Sunday Sunday in the main ring.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i find it amusing

i see a few flame throwers on this subject
    they are commending mods and putting down other people

these were the same people i was referring to

they're the ones that start trouble, but they are allow to get away with it

i am just curious
    what would be their opinion if they had actually got warned

one of the flamethrowers
    he knows who he is

he would probably have a serious conflict with the mods if he ever got a warning

just look at the way he talks to other people on this forum

that being said

i think the mods do a good job

i just wish they would address my one issue from a more sensitive standpoint

and called it more fairly (not let certain people be exempt for warnings)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vance43211
    (not let certain people be exempt for warnings)
    No one is exempt from warnings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vance I did address your issue in a PM. Like I said then, I looked at the other posts you are upset about and I didn't feel a warning was called for. It might have offended you to a certain degree, but that doesn't mean it was such a blatant violation of the rules that a warning was warranted. If you can't tell, I view these warnings as a last resort and I have yet to actually issue one. The point of these warnings is not to ensure that everyone involved in a heated discussion gets punished, its to PREVENT further problems. When you get a warning you should realize that you have made a mistake, and try to avoid such confrontations in the future, not campaign for the punishment of others.

Look, if the people you are complaining about are truly as vulgar and offensive as you claim, then their warnings will take care of themselves, and they will eventually get theirs in time. In the meantime please just try to move on and drop this issue. If you feel there is anything left to discuss then please do it in private, because this issue really does not concern the rest of the forum.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ok

i got it

i don't remember getting a message from u

but i did get one from pacmania, which was ok

i really wasn't talking about that issue at this time

i was refering to some people on this particular subject (some, not all)

they're calling people immature, young, and whinging, etc.

and they really need to look in the mirror

they need to look at their own posts

if they were as mature as they thought they were
    they wouldn't be making the smart comments that they are making now
    because they should know that, that will lead to retaliation

i'm done with it

i think you mods do a good job
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think in general the mods do a very good job here. It is quite apparent though that a couple of mods do tend to make inflammatory statements that seem to incite more heated responses. Not always, but sometimes.

One mode wrote:

It's like discussing something with a brick wall.
    Even though there is a smiley face at the end of the statement, this in my opinion is not helpful or needed. No one likes to be called a brick wall, especially in the context of the thread it was coming from. Mods should be above this, although I understand that they are human and thus not perfect.

Then a poster wrote:

Yeah, but if my bricks talked back, I'd demolish the building.
    That is not a smiley face at the end of that statement. This was stupid. I'm not saying that the poster should get a yellow card, maybe a polite warning from a mod instead. I'm sure that both of these statements made the person who they were directed at feel like they were being attacked. When you are attacked what do you do? Run? Not me! I think some of you really get your jollies from seeing a good fight.

I got my yellow card from TGPO. He didn't scold me like a 5-year-old child. He let me know that I made a mistake and that everything was cool as long as it didn't happen again. I was OK with that and did not feel that I needed to respond in a negative way. It was basically over and I never asked for the warning to be rescinded. I only had a problem with my PM being posted because I was under the assumption that they were private. Now that I know that they are NOT, and that the mods stand behind this, I don't PM anything that I would put in a regular post.

TGPO's warning was respectful and lent much to diffusing the argument. Sometimes it seems that we have to get four or five mods each delivering their own blows when then the original mod seems to be handling it just fine.

All in all though, I think the mods do very well here. We are all people and we all make mistakes. I just hope that in the future, mods are not so quick to hand out the little yellow cards to newbies, and a little harsher on the long standing members because if anyone should know better it should be them.

This will be very hard for the mods though, because the mods (most of them have been here for a while) have become good friends with the long time posters. It's hard to yellow card your friend and a lot easier to yellow card a newbie you don't know from jack.
    Quote Quote  
  19. This is probably the single best forum on the web for info about DVD-R and video creation. I am absolutely amazed by the wealth of knowledge. It was for that reason that I attempted to become an active member of your forum. Unfortunately, I was harrassed and flamed some incessently, that I gave up on speaking and went back to lurking mode.

I am a mod on two other forums. I know the balancing act very well. But to simply allow the idiots to drown out the productive voices is definitely not the answer.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I am dissapointed to hear that you feel you were harrassed out of being an active member of the forum. We now have a thread for reporting problem posts and a warning system to try and minimise these sorts of problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's sad to see that some people simply WILL NOT let tired, weak matters go. The mods here do a great job, but some people will always need scapegoats to keep themselves from shouldering ANY responsibility. Such crutch phrases as "Good Ol' Boys Club" and "racists" come to mind

aybesea, if I were you, I'd go back to posting (ask questions or help out when you can). I remember some of your posts, and it seems like you fell victim to one of the most infamous trolls here. I would just avoid that member (pun intended) and realize that 99% of the people onm this board are good people *cough*except tgpo*cough* :P .
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    this is exactly my point in previous post
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's always the same few people that complain (or whine or whinge, depending on your country's English dialect). I think I can count all of them on my fingers to be honest. It's a 4-step process...

1. They do this:

2. Then somebody comes along and does this:

3. Then it turns into one of these:

4. Then they go and do this:

It's like a broken record with these people.

I know where I think they belong:
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sooooooooo sorry

Mr. King Flame Thrower

Trouble starter No.1

i know that u don't whing or whine or wine

u never got a warning to whine
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    aybesea, if I were you, I'd go back to posting (ask questions or help out when you can). I remember some of your posts, and it seems like you fell victim to one of the most infamous trolls here. I would just avoid that member (pun intended) and realize that 99% of the people onm this board are good people *cough*except tgpo*cough* :P .
    OK S2K, I'm willing to give it another shot. But that guy was really a dick, if you know what I mean. Hopefully I'll interact with the other 99% now.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Mod's are doing a pretty good job, unlike Mod's on some Forums*

*Cou*Doom*gh* Cough*...
    Check out my guide on converting .OGM format to an SVCD with Selectable Subtitles and Multiple Audio tracks.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/170944.php
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by aybesea
    Hopefully I'll interact with the other 99% now.
    Don't set your standards so low.

I lurked here for a long time before I registered. Mistake. The information is second-to-none, and the entertainment value is like those MasterCard commercials: priceless.

Welcome back. DVD-R sucks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To those who are saying that these complaints are simply whining, keep in mind that that is what this thread is for. If it happens in another thread and it off topic, then by all means flame away.

To those who have concerns regarding the moderators and this new warning system, please stay on topic. Talk to US. Talk about US. Don't take out your aggressions on other posters.

Basically, just keep it civil.

I am honestly shocked at the backlash of a very select few posters after the implementation of this new warning system. We just started it and not all that many people have even gotten one yet. At least give us a little time to make the transition.

The general argument of these posters seems to be that they admit they deserved their warning, but feel that another poster should have gotten one as well. To me this seems like a bank robber complaining about the justice system because he got a 10yr sentence and his getaway driver got probation. If your punishment fits your crime than you have nothing to complain about, regardless of what happens to anyone else.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    what about the actual robber who said the getaway driver did it. (robbed the bank)

and said that he was the one who who was the getaway driver

just so he could receive probation and got his pal 10 years

and his pal was the getaway driver

Just kidding

food for thought
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    a whinging moment (whine or wine)

moderators go through great lenghts

to defend why they don't give txpharoah

a warning