VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First off, Great site. I've been coming here for quite awhile, but I just signed up recently.

I have been reading some of the posts about people being flagged for using bad language. Why not just setup a bad word filter? Just replace the word that is in the list with "****" or something? It seems pretty easy to implement using phpBB 2....

Anyways, thanks for having a great site for everyone to use
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the meaning is a whole lot more signifigant than the words used. By setting up a language filter you would be restricting the whole site vs using common sense to punish those who are actually breaking the forum rules.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So you are saying the use of "vulgar" language is useful on these boards?

Just trying to play devils advicate here
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no -- he is saying we hope people can police themselves instead of resorting to censorship ...
    Quote Quote  
  5. There are many language filters in use on message board, e-mail etc and they invariably have faults. The main fault being that they can't distinguish context.
    For instance no language filter could be expected to tell the difference in meaning between:

1) The **** crows
    2) You **** sucker

forgive my language, this is just an example, but you must get my drift.
    Quote Quote  
  6. good argument (line of reasoning)

But

What's the case for F**k, S**t, C**t, A**h**e
    How can these be used in sentence that sounds good?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd be careful, that almost sounds like a challenge
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
  8. Not a challenge!!!!
    I'm not trying to get anyone's shorts in a bunch

I've been a lurker for awhile, and IMO notice these situations to be on the rise. Agian, I'm just curiuos as to why a bad word filter can not be a good thing?

Sounds like a Poll for tgpo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think it would increase the vulgar language.

I for one have a fowl mouth and do curse alot. If the "bad word" filter was in place, every other word I type would have ** in it.

So rather than reading a post full ** leave it as it is, most forum members are polite, and use less curse words than you'd hear on TV in an hour.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I don't really care if someone swears once or twice in their post. It's only when every second word is 'vulgar' that it gets a bit out of hand.

Also it depends in what context it is used. Like, is it directed at another member or are they cursing themselves type thing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You know I think he had a filter for a short while. More than a year back, I'd say. He replaced all vulgar wards with 'love'. Quite funny results. People started quoting Shakespeare and stuff to point out how it really didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ImaWeTodd
    You know I think he had a filter for a short while. More than a year back, I'd say. He replaced all vulgar wards with 'love'. Quite funny results. People started quoting Shakespeare and stuff to point out how it really didn't work.
    maybe we should replace the filter with "great food",then we can all eat steak or seafood or something yum yum
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Word lists don't work..

"Shitake mushrooms" "a wee lass" .....

There really is not a problem on the bards with virgarity, and the few cases where it is a problem the user probably deserves to go. We don't really have a problem, so why impose any restrictions?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "virgarity" and " bards" i would like some of that please
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    *nods... shoots typist*

8)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM