VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Experts,

I have created DVD R using ArcShowBiz and this is my own personal video. I was hoping that i could copy my DVD to Video Cassette. If i play directly on TV, it works great but if i play it thro' VCR, i see scrambled video. This is my personal video and i am not sure how come it has protection. I am a newbie here and need you guys help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's your DVD player inserting a macrovision copy-protection signal into the output. I'm not sure if it can be turned off, I know some DVD players have a hack to do that.

Anybody else have an idea to disable macrovision for a non-commercial DVD?
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The first time I tried to copy my DVD to VCR, it didn't work. I checked the conections - Audio and video out on DVD to audio and video in on VCR. Everything looked fine, but then I realized I forgot to change the Input on the VCR. Once I did that everything copied over, no problem.

Hope that helps.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    a lot of the new cheap dvd player aren't even bothering to put macrovision in their player these days

to save costs

so i buy a new one for 50 bucks

if it don't work take it back
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about other countries but in australia any machine I have used to copy home-made vcd's to vcr have had no problems. I have used samsungs, akais, panasonics etc with no problem. Don't know if it would be any different with dvd's, but I thought the macrovision signal was generated by the source material, not the machine itself.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On most standalones, the MV signal is generated by the player by a chip, which is triggered by the MV flag, which can be set during Authoring.
    If you rip any MV enabled DVD content, you'll find no MV signal with the mpeg stream.The MV disabling wiorks in most casing over the I2C bus from the main decoder chip to TV signal encoder (which the applies MV or not).
    The disabling works with simply grounding the I2C bus just before the MV flag fires up.
    Quote Quote