VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. I find that curious as well... The LiteOn unit seems quite reasonable and at a much lower cost than the KISS unit...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  2. These players are all over Ebay. Bunch of Buy It Nows for $169.00-$179.00. I bought one last week from a place in California and received it in a couple of days. Nifty unit. Works very well for what I wanted it to do. Anyone in the market for a new player, definitely take a look at this one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not in Australian eBay though...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  4. The LiteOn PhoMaster LVD-2001 is WAY better than the Kiss. More features, and as far as the firmware is concerned just wait and see. We already got 2 new firmwares in less than 2 months. LiteOn does an excellent job with upgrading their firmware.

Albert Roux
    http://www.kitsapcomputers.com
    Home of the LVD-2001 review
    Click on my sponsor's links to support my website!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've had a 2001 for a month now and absolutely love it. However, I do have a question for anyone that might help. When I first purchased the unit, if I slipped an ISO disc with several AVI or MPG files in, it autoplayed the first one, then when that one ended it autoplayed the next.

Now, however, it plays the first and then stops and displays the menu. I then need to manually select the next segment (which plays fine).

Any ideas of how to fix this configuration so that it auto plays the next segment?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I live in Canada. I would really love to get Liteon DVD Player 2001. Can anyone please suggest where can i get one?

Also there is a Liteon DVD Player 2002 model is it better?

Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Googlegear.com has the LVD-2001 for $159(free 2nd day shipping):http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=170651
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tahnx but googlegear charges me 100.02 $ for delivery.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ERsqo, Try sending an e-mail to LiteON and ask them where you can get one in Canada, maybe they can help you. Check out this link:
    http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/wheretobuy.htm
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LiteOn are not sure where to buy one in Canada. They said to try futureshop which is an outdated storewith old technologu

So my question remains the same. ? Please help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only other suggestion I can make then, is to try a seller on EBay that will ship to Canada for a (semi)reasonable rate. $100.00 for shipping sounds excessive to me, but I have never had to have anything shipped to the USA from Canada. Some EBay sellers will ship internationally, and some gouge their customers with shipping charges, and others will charge only the actual shipping costs. Depends on the seller. Do an EBay search for LiteON and see who is selling these right now, and even if you don't see a seller that has one for a reasonable price right now, it doesn't mean that you won't find one tomorrow (or next week). Keep checking. These units are new on the market and I would expect that other companies would be interested in marketing them besides just PC Club. I called some of the local stores yesterday and they had some in stock, but only 3 to 5 of them (depending on location). They said they had lots of them in their warehouse in Industry, CA (near L.A.) but they don't stock many in the stores for some reason. They did have them on sale when they first came out for $139.00, but now they are $149.00 (plus tax, of course). I'm sure other manufacturers are looking at this whole DivX/Xvid compatibility issue very closely, because it's a way of generating sales of DVD players (which by now, almost everyone that wants a "average" player has one). In a few months, who knows, we may be flooded with players that have this capability.
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  12. Roundabout wrote:"In a few months, who knows, we may be flooded with players that have this capability. "

Ya disabling Macrovision and playing DVD+-R is a big selling point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't talking about being able to play DVD +-/r or disabling Macrovision. I was talking about the capability of playing MPEG-4 (DivX 3,4,5 and Xvid) - there are VERY few players on the market that can do this. I was talking about many more players will come on the market with THAT capability. Being able to disable MV and playing DVD's isn't a selling point. Read more about this player (the LiteON) and the Kiss units. :P
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  14. I expect there will be a flood of players as the chipset required is now in volume production. Just depends what extra features/ goodies they shove in, what about dvd-audio and Xd card compatibilty or even better network interface + ide interface for hard drive. and a slot for making toast.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I registered yesterday to let people know that newegg currently has the LVD-2001 and LVR-1001 in stock but I could not post it until today because of the forum rule that new members cannot post for one day. Mine should be here tomorrow, I hope I like it!

I have been waiting for Newegg to get these in stock and they finally did. I just ordered (09/03/2003) a Lite On LVD-2001 from newegg for $139 including 3 day shipping. They have the LVR-1001 in stock too.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=manufactory&catalog=336&manufa...=&srchFor=2001

Newegg.com does not ship internationally.
    Quote Quote  
  16. avoid this player. its a piece of sh*t. i regret ever buying it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by iluvJLO
    avoid this player. its a piece of sh*t. i regret ever buying it.
    Looks like I will find out for myself. Of course if it does not work out for me I will RMA it back to newegg. I would be out the restocking fee and shipping costs to return it though.

I figure I might have to use DrDIVX to convert some of the divx and avi videos I already have to get them to play. Seems like there is always someone that has problems with just about anything though, I hope that I will have the success that many others have had.

Remember to buy everything from someplace that has a good return policy, just in case. I would rather be out 15% and return shipping than to be stuck with a product I was not happy with.

Googlegear and PC Club sure are selling them out fast. The majority of the posts are favorable in regarding what you get for what you pay. I have read through many posts here and at other forums and it appears that there are solutions to most problems reported and hopefully new BIOS releases will solve many things. The thing that bothers me the most is the remote because I am pretty sure that for a few cents more they could have remedied that problem. My $50 Leadtek Winfast Deluxe TV2000Xp has a remote that works great! It does makes me wonder what else, if anything, Lite On might have cut corners on to save a few pennies where they shouldn't have.

My old Sony DVP S300 only plays VCD (CDRs) and DVDs and I do not want to wait any longer to get a new unit. I do not want to spend more than $150 right now since I realize that I might just be upgrading again once the next generation or two of players that play Divx comes on the market.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I wonder if HK_traveller is still looking for LVD-2001 in Hong Kong. I bought the player in Hong Kong few months ago from a shop in Wan Chai. I paid HK$1950 for the player at that time. If HK_traveller e-mail me (henry3177@hotmail.com), I could let him have more information on the shop.
    Quote Quote  
  19. For anyone interested, I posted a review of the Lite-On LVD-2001 player on my website. I've been using this player for a month now and I love the playback features. The interface sucks but I can live with that right now. Enjoy!
    http://www.whiningdog.net/Reviews/Gadgets/Video/20030903-LiteonLVD2001/
    WhiningDog.NET
    Quote Quote  
  20. I have had my LVD-2001 one day now. I immediately flashed to the 0227 BIOS. I have to re-encode most of my DIVX files using Dr DiVX in order to avoid freezes during playback. So far as long as I drop the audio down to 96 kbps I experience no problems. Many DIVX files that I have would not fit on a 700MB CDR until I re-encoded them the audio down to 96kbps anyway. A couple of times I had to restart the LVD-2001 off so I could eject a disk but that really did not surprise me; after all the BIOS runs on Linux so IMO, it is more like a computer than a typical DVD player.

I have experienced no real problems and thanks to forums like these and all the review sites I knew how to take care of things I ran into. It always pays to research products before you buy. If you are buying a DVD player for your Grandma I would recommend you look at more standard models. I would buy again, I will probably end up buy a second LVD-2001 for my other TV.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by KOHb
    How it can be done (software and, if possible, guide), and what you mean by "quick". I think, it can be done with Virtualdub but it is NOT quick.
    the quickness of the conversion depends entirely on how powerful your PC is. faster PC = faster conversion. the meaning is relative though-- one person's idea of quick could be another person's idea of slow. if you can make a 2-pass encoding of a 90 minute movie in less than 5 or 6 hours, i would consider that to be fairly quick.

Originally Posted by aybesea
    I've had a 2001 for a month now and absolutely love it. However, I do have a question for anyone that might help. When I first purchased the unit, if I slipped an ISO disc with several AVI or MPG files in, it autoplayed the first one, then when that one ended it autoplayed the next.

Now, however, it plays the first and then stops and displays the menu. I then need to manually select the next segment (which plays fine).

Any ideas of how to fix this configuration so that it auto plays the next segment?
    it sounds like the repeat function is deactivated. if you press the repeat button on the remote control until the display says "repeat disc," it should play all of your files consecutively.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Some ideas for modding your LiteOn LVD-2001??

1) how about using a product such as the ones found here,

http://www.kingbyte.com/products/product_7.htm

I dont know if the transfer rate is fast enough for movies to be played direct from hdd?

2) Or what about replacing the dvd drive with a hdd, can a hdd be formatted in a way to make the chip think its just the normal dvd drive??? (but with tonnes more space)

3) how about getting a dual ide cable and having a hdd as well as the dvd drive in there, iam sure you can fit one in, and then updating it via method 1 or 2???

Neway heres dreaming, it will need a few tweaks to the bios, i have no experience in programming in linux.

I would think method 2 would be easiest if you can get hdd into "format style" of dvd drive.
    Quote Quote  
  23. theres a new fireware out 229.

get it from

http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/csd.htm

side note/ i wish they would tell you if there is a new fireware out, because unless you look, and scroll over the "Latest fireware" you dont know, also you can only tell by the filename!

heres the info regarding the file,

***v0.02.29 release date
    This version is only focus on the improvement of the images display quality.
    also anybody else have problems with the image freezing when alot of action happends on the screen? the sound keeps going and in about a second the image catches up? I wish with things like this they would have a bigger buffer. 16Mb anyone? then while the chip is getting the info from the ram, the dvd/cd can be filling it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. There's another player that uses the sigma EM8500 chipset called the Bravo D1 for $199. Its been out for awhile. It has DVI output with scalable output to 780p or 1080i and has no HDCP protection requirement. From what I've read in AVSforum.com, in its DVI output mode, it may have the best picture out on the market (or in the top echlon at least). I believe Samsung has a player too with same chipset and DVI output. It also plays MPEG 4 (Divx) and Kodak Picture CDs.

Bravo D1 link

http://www.vinc.us/level2.asp?id=31&PID=16
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have had my LVD-2001 one day now. I immediately flashed to the 0229
    firmware.

I purchased this player for it's divx capabilities.

I have converted dvd's with dr. divx and they seem to play fine.

I have converted dvd's with intervideo's copydvd and they don't seem to work.

I know dr. divx uses codec 5...wondering what codec intervideo uses, 3?

Help? suggestions?

Jim
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
  26. Woot, got my lvd-2001 2 days ago.

Plays ALL Divx'd cd I have apart from the 'Single CD' ones which Must have used a higher compression or different codec. ( they play, but no sound)

Shows my DSC Smart Media card photo's just fine (JPG), and shows the list of AVI movies from SM Card, but will not play them - unsupported media type? thought this should be able to play AVI?. Canon Ixus400.

Apart from that, I'm super impressed with the 'on screen video' quality.

The other Issue was the DVD player didn't come with the 4-in-1 pcmcia card reader Only the PCMCIA SM reader).

any one else tried AVI's from a DSC ? ( i think they are jpeg Motion AVI? )
    Quote Quote  
  27. Some questions about mp3 playback (based on probs I've seen with other players)...

- can it do random?
    - can it do random over a disc that is organized into a tree of folders (and pick randomly from folder to folder), or is it limited to random within the curent folder? (Toshiba is crippled this way)
    - even if not random, will it walk up/down a tree structure of folders of mp3, or must they all be at the root level?

Similar questions apply to jpg (I organize my pics by day and/or location into folders).

Thanks,
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  28. Greets,
    All you converters out there.. Need ya help....
    I have the LVD-2001 player and several AVI that were encoded with WMA sound. So far my player has not been able to recognize the audio. Is there a quick method to re-encode the avi to a different sound format that is supported with minimal or no loss in video quality? The avis are around 716- 725 in size which fit on a single cd perfectly. Ive seen and used tools like virtual dub and tmpgne but getting the sound to align with the video could be difficult? there got to be something where you and open the avi convert and get the same avi with a different sound format in the same size. Could there also be any patch or hack to allow the player to play this WMA audio? Thanks :P
    You know your getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you used to get from a roller coaster....
    Quote Quote  
  29. I purchased my liteon 2001 a few weeks ago. I have had no problems with the xvid movies, but the frames keep freezing on some divx movies. From what I have heard it is because the mp3 audio bitrate is too high. Anyone know if there is a FAQ around to help reencode the mp3 audio, or can help me out a bit.

Thx
    jt
    Quote Quote  
  30. I wrote tech support and got the following reply... I'm constantly amazed at how "modern" DVD players don't have the most basic features that my original CD player had in 1987 (Magnavox CDB-650, a great player).

I guess I'll hold off, or buy a cheap Cyberhome to tide me thru.

Mike

Dear Mike,

Thanks for your trust in LiteON!

We are sorry that presently we don't support the "search" function in MP3 and multi-folder support would be implemented in our later version.But now if you'd like to speed up the selection for large files I suggest press "STOP" and then press "NEXT" to next page(11 files per page) and move cursor to the final selection, or if you need repeat playback of the selection please press "REPEAT" key instead of "PLAY" key.

Please take this friendly tip at present.

Welcome your further request & Best regards.

To: dctw_service@liteonit.com
    Subject: LVD-2001 question
    2003/10/12 10:07 PM

Does this player support "random" playing of audio/mp3 CDs? I see no
    mention of a random function in the manual.

Also, if (on an mp3 CD) my files are organized into folders, will it play
    from folder to folder, or just from within one folder at a time?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Quote Quote