VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have some xvid videos. they are all green on my xp box. i have uninstalled and reinstalled a few different builds of the xvid codec but that doesnt seem to help. there is nothing wrong w/ the vids as i can play them on my 2K machine just fine.

does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get Gspot from the Tools section and test your file, it will identify any codec problems.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1) install the xvid codec
    2) if you're running windows xp go to start --> run ---> and type in "mplayer2" without the quotes and hit ok
    3) open up your xvid file that's green using this older media player
    4) pause the video
    5) right click on the video and choose properties
    6) go to the advanced tab
    7) in the box you will see something named "fffshow" or something like it don't quote me on the exact name but it's something similar
    8) double click that and a new box will pop up
    9) uncheck the xvid box
    10) now open up the file again either in your original media player or this old one and it should be working fine
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks Philly
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I have the same problem with a movie on my pc but those suggestions did not work...anything else
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's either the ffdshow filter, OR...

A bad Xvid build.

See, the Xvid people ... they claim not to be pirates, and not to use pirate code. We all know better (they're based on DIVX which is based on pirate-hacked MPEG4 codecs).

The issue is that in order to avoid ever having to deal with anything remotely resembling personal responsibility, they have chosen to never compile their own code. Weird, huh? Well, that means OTHER PEOPLE compile it.

The "green codec" is one that I've seen frequently. Some moron out there has a specific setup where that codec does NOT produce a big green window, but for the rest of us it does.

Just download a different XVid build, or try the FFDShow thing.

- Gurm
    Quote Quote