VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Jukka
    DVD-RW will dissappear because (certainly in the UK) Panasonic have over 50% of the consumer DVD recorder market (DVD-RAM), Phillips has a large proportion aswell (DVD+RW), so where is DVD-RW?
    The DVD Recorder market in the UK barely exists! I don't know of anyone with a standalone DVD Recorder.

I do agree that DVD-RAM is the best of the 3 existing formats, but it's unlikely to do much in the home arena due to the total lack of compatibility with DVD players.

I actually think that all 3 disc types are really just "holding formats" until proper Blue Laser discs are released. The general public will require a lot more than 4Gb of storage before they dump their beloved VHS decks.

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="energy80s"]
    Originally Posted by Jukka
    The general public will require a lot more than 4Gb of storage before they dump their beloved VHS decks.
    I think that that is a UK-centric feeling only.

Here in Canada as well as in the USA, sales of stand alone DVDs are way up, as are DVD Writers for the PC, in Canada, retailers/wholesalers are struggling to keep up with the demand. (they all have the cheap ones, but the middle to upper end machines are always backordered).

Set top recorders are just starting to come into the retail chain. Who knows how they will be recieved.
    --
    Will

3. Originally Posted by txpharoah
    When they found out houses made from bricks were more sturdy and better to use than wood, when constructing houses, thus grabbing a larger market share in exterior building materials, did wood disappear? Hmm? I don't think so. We still have PLENTY of uses for it. The same can be said about the various formats of recordable media.
    Are you talking about those red bricks or just cinder bricks. I like those red bricks, I really do. They don't use 'em out here in Arizona much, though.

+R will win. Here's why. + is associated with positive, which is good. And - is associated with negative, which is evil. Therefore, + will win because good always defeats evil. Right?

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    +R will win. Here's why. + is associated with positive, which is good. And - is associated with negative, which is evil. Therefore, + will win because good always defeats evil. Right?
    This is a prime example of why you should wear a hat when you are in the hot Arizona Sun.... if you don't, your brain gets fried.....

--
    Will

5. You assume that there was once a brain there that could be fried. My family would beg to differ... :P

114° is hot?

6. Originally Posted by kabanero
    vitualis,

Why do you hate DVD-PLUS format so much?
    Firstly, I don't hate the + format. In fact, I'm completely neutral in this thread.

Let us recap:
    As I have stated previously, the most likely scenario is that both standards will exist until the introduction and adoption of the replacement technology with newer DVD drives/mechanisms supporting both well.
    and...

There is nothing there that suggests the conclusion that one tech is going to prevail over the other - and as stated in many threads before, there is not much technical difference (that matters to the ordinary consumer) between the standards that would make one more attractive than the other.

If anything, marketing is what is going to "win" this format battle, not that I believe either side is going to "win" in any meaningful way.
    and...

I have neither "standards" either. However, from what I can see, your neighbour's opinion is really only his own and from the reasoning you state he is claiming, has no more merit than many other members here who claim "+ is better" or "- is better".

I could have stated (and would have) basically exactly the same thing if the original poster claimed that the Teac guy stated that the - format would eventually take over.

The difference is that it is very infrequent that someone starts a thread that is essentially nothing more than a personal opinion dressed up as "fact" for the "-" format stating that it will "win". For some reason, the "+" supports seem to feel obliged to do this repeatedly. IMHO, this is due to marketing/advertising but that is my opinion.

There is obviously no more point in this thread.

Both the "-" and "+" formats are quite good and are mostly equal in functionality. Most probably, neither will "win" and will both be there when the replacement technology comes along.

This thread will be locked.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence