VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    I think if you're gonna have a class, Chapter 1 has to be titled "DVD-R vs. DVD+R, Which Sucks Harder?"

That might be the ONLY place nobody speaks up!
    well then thas simple all i have to say is hmm DVD-R is compatible with 90 % of dvd players. DVD-RW are compatible with 73 % of players. DVD+R are compatible with 85 % of players and DVD+RW are compatible with 73 % of players. there is also DVD-RAM which is very uncompatible they mainly work on panasonics and a few others. and then we got your Dual Burners which burn both DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+r/DVD+RW well i bet you can find 100 percent compatability with this player. and well then theres the Mulitburner with DVD-Negative DVD-Positive and DVD-Ram. Session ended no more questions lol j/k but this wouldnt be a hard topic just if i have a smart ass that says i want negative but waht about the other 10 % what do i do with that . then i say thats when you spend a little more money and you buy a dual burner.
    An all in one guide for DVD to CVD/SVCD/DVD by cecilio click here--> https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/167502.php
    Quote Quote  
  2. No, you don't tell him to spend a little extra money and buy a dual burner.

You yellow card him! Quickly!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cecilio
    then we got your Dual Burners which burn both DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+r/DVD+RW well i bet you can find 100 percent compatability with this player.
    No. The burner either burns + or - on either + or - media, respectively. It is not some kind of hybrid disc. The dual drive can just burn both kinds. It's essentially two drives squeezed into one.

... Are you sure you're ready to teach? You can't mess up simple facts like that if you're the teacher.

And don't try to teach them everything. Teach them enough so they become familiar enough with the technology to learn on their own. Teach the basics, and don't worry about the "what if's" and the exceptions to the rules. When the student faces that junction, they should be equipped enough (from your teaching) to look it up themself. If not, oh well. Your objective should be to teach them how to fish, not to fish for them.

Just don't be a guy that give out websites for the "tuition". Teach them these 6 things:

HOME MOVIES:
    Teach them how to capture, import, edit, render MPEG2, and then burn.

BACKUP:
    Likewise, teach them how to rip, how to ID DVD5 vs DVD9, how to shrink if DVD9, and finally burn to DVD.

DVD MEDIA:
    Teach them that there are 3 kinds of DVD media at the moment, DVD-RAM that is mostly for businesses (and not at all usefull for video), DVD+R for video/data, and DVD-R for video/data and is a about 10% more compatible with DVD players than the DVD+R format. That's it

THEORY: (this is mostly in the booklet to give the students)
    Interlace (from tv/VHS) vs deinterlace (computer-only video). 4:3 aspect ratio (viewing ratio of tv), Full D1 720x480 and that MPEG2 bitrates of 4500-8000 are acceptable, Half D1 352x480 and that bitrates of 2500-4000 are acceptable, PAL (foreign) vs NTSC (USA), and that a CD is not the same as a DVD and they will not work in each other's players (only the DVD is reverse-compatible because it is newer than CD).

MORE INFO:
    dvdrhelp.com, and some other sites if you want

PROGRAMS TO USE:
    Print out the ENTIRE LIST from this site. Maybe highlight your favorites. But at least let them know there is choice in this world, when they get out on their own, and that dvdrhelp.com guides can help them find out how to use them.

Be sure these people know that YOUR WAY isn't the only way, but is one that YOU LIKE, and it seems to work well.

If they gripe "this info is free online" disregard it. They paid to learn, and that's nowhere near the same as them hunting through searches and this forum (or others like it). Just give them a good service, and you'll hear no complaints.

Be a confident 30-year-old in mind and style, not a 15-year-old. Otherwise, they may not take your seriously. Gather your thoughts, and present yourself well. No sloppy clothing, etc.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by txpharoah
    then we got your Dual Burners which burn both DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+r/DVD+RW well i bet you can find 100 percent compatability with this player.
    No. The burner either burns + or - on either + or - media, respectively. It is not some kind of hybrid disc. The dual drive can just burn both kinds. It's essentially two drives squeezed into one.

... Are you sure you're ready to teach? You can't mess up simple facts like that if you're the teacher.

And don't try to teach them everything. Teach them enough so they become familiar enough with the technology to learn on their own. Teach the basics, and don't worry about the "what if's" and the exceptions to the rules. When the student faces that junction, they should be equipped enough (from your teaching) to look it up themself. If not, oh well. Your objective should be to teach them how to fish, not to fish for them.

Just don't be a guy that give out websites for the "tuition". Teach them these 6 things:

HOME MOVIES:
    Teach them how to capture, import, edit, render MPEG2, and then burn.

BACKUP:
    Likewise, teach them how to rip, how to ID DVD5 vs DVD9, how to shrink if DVD9, and finally burn to DVD.

DVD MEDIA:
    Teach them that there are 3 kinds of DVD media at the moment, DVD-RAM that is mostly for businesses (and not at all usefull for video), DVD+R for video/data, and DVD-R for video/data and is a about 10% more compatible with DVD players than the DVD+R format. That's it

THEORY: (this is mostly in the booklet to give the students)
    Interlace (from tv/VHS) vs deinterlace (computer-only video). 4:3 aspect ratio (viewing ratio of tv), Full D1 720x480 and that MPEG2 bitrates of 4500-8000 are acceptable, Half D1 352x480 and that bitrates of 2500-4000 are acceptable, PAL (foreign) vs NTSC (USA), and that a CD is not the same as a DVD and they will not work in each other's players (only the DVD is reverse-compatible because it is newer than CD).

MORE INFO:
    dvdrhelp.com, and some other sites if you want

PROGRAMS TO USE:
    Print out the ENTIRE LIST from this site. Maybe highlight your favorites. But at least let them know there is choice in this world, when they get out on their own, and that dvdrhelp.com guides can help them find out how to use them.

Be sure these people know that YOUR WAY isn't the only way, but is one that YOU LIKE, and it seems to work well.

If they gripe "this info is free online" disregard it. They paid to learn, and that's nowhere near the same as them hunting through searches and this forum (or others like it). Just give them a good service, and you'll hear no complaints.

Be a confident 30-year-old in mind and style, not a 15-year-old. Otherwise, they may not take your seriously. Gather your thoughts, and present yourself well. No sloppy clothing, etc.
    i know what a dual burner is. what i mean about the whole 100 % compatablility, is that like lets say you have 2 dvd players in your house, well one plays - and the other plays +. well thats what i mean. i mean if you only have a -r burner then you will only get 50 % compatability in your house, but if you get dual, then you get 100 %.
    An all in one guide for DVD to CVD/SVCD/DVD by cecilio click here--> https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/167502.php
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    cecilio -

are you aware that you can cut quoted material, so that you only quote stuff from a post that is relevant, and not the entire post?
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    heh sorry about that your right. i wont do it again.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cecilio
    i know what a dual burner is. what i mean about the whole 100 % compatablility, is that like lets say you have 2 dvd players in your house, well one plays - and the other plays +. well thats what i mean. i mean if you only have a -r burner then you will only get 50 % compatability in your house, but if you get dual, then you get 100 %.
    errr..... first of all, -R isn't 50% compatible...it's about 90% compatible...

from https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

DVD-R and DVD-RW
    DVD-R/W was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
    DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 90% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 73% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-R/W supports single side 4.7 GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 9.4 GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by DVDForum.

second, having dual burners doesn't necessarily solve any compatibility issues. as txpharoah pointed out, dual burners don't do some sort of hybrid -R/+R discs...only 1 or the other....so if you really want as much compatibility as possible, the only thing you could do is burn a DVD on both a -R disc and a +R disc...but that's way too much of a hassle.

the dual burners are more of a "in case sh*t happens" type of thing, in which one format wins over the other in the near future...so dual burners would save you the trouble of guessing which format would win and having to switch burners if you got the wrong format...

however, it seems like both formats are in a dead head...looks like neither is going anywhere
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the dual burners are more of a "in case sh*t happens" type of thing, in which one format wins over the other in the near future
    I'll say this about dual burners - my set top will play about everything I throw at it, but if I burn discs for 2 friends, and one's player likes -R and the other's likes +R, I'm still set with a dual burner.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by housepig
    I'll say this about dual burners - my set top will play about everything I throw at it, but if I burn discs for 2 friends, and one's player likes -R and the other's likes +R, I'm still set with a dual burner.
    yes..but the bottom line is you can never achieve 100% compatibility with a single format....so, if you wanna get close..you still need to burn the same DVD on both a DVD-R AND DVD+R. there's no "one-disc-fits-all" solution, even with dual burners...

i.e. if you have 2 dvd players in your house..one in living room and one in bedroom....1 of them only takes DVD-R, while other takes only DVD+R. if you want to have your DVD copy play on both, you still need to burn 2 copies of the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but the bottom line is you can never achieve 100% compatibility with a single format
    yes, I understand this. the only way to guarantee compatibility is to have the disc pressed.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Did you (CECILIO) have at least donated any monies to creators of DVD2SVCD, DVDShrink and any other software you want to use for your making money 'lessons'?
    I doubt it, but if you really did please post the amount, date and name/nick under which you've did it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DereX888
    Did you (CECILIO) have at least donated any monies to creators of DVD2SVCD, DVDShrink and any other software you want to use for your making money 'lessons'?
    I doubt it, but if you really did please post the amount, date and name/nick under which you've did it.
    sorry but nope havent donated anything yet.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is to poopyhead, i know that dvd-r is not 50 % compatible i know its 90%. next time read it correctly. i said lets say you have 2 dvd players. dvd player (a) and dvd player (b). ok lets say (a) plays only -r and (b) plays only +r. well this is what i meant. if you only have a negative burner, then in your own house you will only get 50 % compatablilty like wise the other way. the only way to get 100% is to have both formats. i know that no format is a solution, but having both formats is. well most of the time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Derex888 -

if this stuff is released as freeware or donationware, Cecilio is free to do with it as he pleases, including using it to make money.

if the authors of those programs were concerned with making money, they should have made it payware. they can not expect everyone who uses their program - even using it to make money - to donate to them.

why are you guilt tripping him about it? if you want to pick on him, there are plenty of things in his posts that are legitimate fodder that you could use... but the "did you donate?" argument doesn't cut it.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    whats the yellow flag doing under my avatar thing?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by housepig
    if this stuff is released as freeware or donationware, Cecilio is free to do with it as he pleases, including using it to make money.

if the authors of those programs were concerned with making money, they should have made it payware. they can not expect everyone who uses their program - even using it to make money - to donate to them.
    errr...actually, it is illegal to profit off of freeware. i.e. someone has ripped off dvdshrink and is selling it as another product....illegal

the author of the programs made it freeware because they intended it to be completely free for everyone....there should be no profit from it...

however, it really depends on what Cecilio does....he can profit from HIS OWN INPUT...however, he must tell his "students" that any program he shows them is completely free, and they can get the programs on their own for free w/o his input. he can only charge for his advice..but not for any work that isn't his. i personally think he should tell his students about this website (vcdhelp.com) since he got alot of his info for free from here and other forums first. he should also tell his students about how to get these free programs as well, up front. only then can he charge for his own advice, if his students so wishes.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, Cecilio, I think you have a good idea if you focus more on the 'video editing primer' aspect. There are so many people that want to know how to get their old home videos from VHS/DV/whatever onto DVD (or any myriad of other things).

The DVD backup thing is a bit more sticky. Remember that while many of the people here are interested in the technical aspects of it and may want to backup their legally owned videos, most non techies just want to steal movies. Right after I got my burner I had several people who wanted to know if I could copy movies for them (I guess people feel they were left behind on the piracy bandwagon or something...).

Anyway, you don't need to worry about what they do after they leave with your perfectly legal knowledge, but ask yourself if wannabe pirates will be your best students. Yes, taking advantage of greedy idiots is a perfectly legitimate business venture, but you'll look more respectable if you're trying to convey knowledge to the hoards of people who really want to learn something but don't have the time/experience to learn the way we all did here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    errr...actually, it is illegal to profit off of freeware. i.e. someone has ripped off dvdshrink and is selling it as another product....illegal
    apples and oranges. you are comparing someone using a program to make money with someone selling stolen code to make money.

take a look at Luxuriousity Video - it's Virtualdub with another name coded over it. Sells for $10 per disc on eBay. Is it scummy? Yes. Is it illegal? No. Avery Lee (who wrote Virtualdub) is going after the guy because he bootlegged copyrighted screenshots from the Virtualdub website, but he can't go after the guy for renaming and selling Virtualdub, because the guy is not violating the GPL, which Virtualdub is released under.

lots of freeware is released under the GPL - lots of it is re-branded after the fact and sold to people who are too dumb to know what they are buying. it's not illegal... scummy, but not illegal.

anyway, Cecilio is not going to be breaking any laws charging someone to learn how to use a freeware product.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Quote Quote  
  19. I dont know about this with teaching people stuff. Dont you think that people who can't figure out for themselves how to backup a dvd doesnt care to find out how to because they are not interested in backing them up in the first place? Its many people out there with DVD recorders who dont know how to use them, for example the daddy who bought "the new Packard Bell with DVD recorder" but is not sure what to do with it, and maybe he like to learn it, but once he learned it he will not use it anyway, and then he forget and then he suddenly want to try and then he call you "what was that with this start-button" and "which one is the recorder". But maybe you got something going on there, so wish you good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well thor3000 thanks on the luck.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by housepig
    anyway, Cecilio is not going to be breaking any laws charging someone to learn how to use a freeware product.
    very fine line....can't make money with the actual freeware, but can make money teaching how to use it....

so, Cecilio needs to tell his students where they can get the programs online and tell them it's FREE and they don't need him to get it or use it....since, he can't legally charge them for the programs....he can only charge for the knowledge on how to use them....

however, i still think he should tell his students about vcdhelp.com and doom9.org first...and let them figure it out first....if they still need his help, then he can charge them for it....considering, Cecilio prolly got alotta free info from these forums in the first place...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    housepig wrote:
    why are you guilt tripping him about it? if you want to pick on him, there are plenty of things in his posts that are legitimate fodder that you could use... but the "did you donate?" argument doesn't cut it.
    I know there is alot of other stuff I could pick on...
    Well - Im not guilt tripping him. He doesn't even know what 'guilt' is, I can assure you, he is just another moron who only want 'more', while he himself doesnt contribute anything to society beside the shit off digested food. I was sure that he didn't donate anything, I just wanted him to confirm it. And since he did - I can now freely express my opinion about such filthy motherf*** idiots like cecilio.
    He brags about not sleeping for half the night because someone else could steal his idea, but he don't hesitate to steal the knowledge from other poeople (software, guides off which he learned how to rip etc). I was about to skip this thread as I found it ridiculus at first, but I realised that his idea about verbally selling freeware is actually not different from other f****rs who just change GUI of few freewares and sell them as their own. Both are based on someone else's work, and both are nondifferent.

Having said my opinion on cecilio and such, Im glad to get out of this thread. EOT to me.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well derrexxx8888 whatever your screen name is just FYI i am not f****** selling freeware i am just teaching them knowlege on how to use the freeware software. its like i had a teacher in school teaching us how to use Photoshop 6.0 last year. i mean he had to learn from a trainer or from himself, but still. then the school provided the software for the students and the teacher gets a huge check at the end of the week so tell me why is this any different.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This idea is all fine and dandy and not illegal. The information is freely available on the net and teaching it to people is not illegal, its what you do with the info that is. Same as like the Terrorist Cookbooks or whatever else is on the net. The knowledge isnt the culprit, its the end use, so if one of your students goes out and sets up shop to take on Blockbuster, you arent liable, he is.

But truth is, you business will be short lived because there will be a software company that will relese something so stupidly user friendly that even the most novice user will be able to back up their DVDs. Why should I go sit in a class room when I can buy something for 20 bucks and have it work immediately.

Also, instead of a class, write a manual, its eaier to distribute and you dont have to worry about follow up calls or it even working. With all things people take a chance when they buy it, if its cheap enough, they wont hassle you about a return.
    Quote Quote  
  25. bottom line Cecilio:

you can teach whoever you like... however, do not under any circumstances tell or imply that any of the freeware comes from you... you need to make sure you tell the students that they can freely get those same programs without you for free...you are only providing the knowledge.....which i think alot of it came free from these forums anywayz...

in your analogy about the photoshop teacher, he (or someone else) had to pay a trainer to teach him....however, in your case, most, if not all, your info came freely from these forums....i think you should be obliged to let your potential students know of these forums BEFORE you grab their money. all the guides on these websites took lots of hardwork, time, and dedication and the authors were kind enough to make them FREE. if you want to take the info and sell it for your personal gain, that's your business, but at least give credit where credit is due...and, again, BEFORE you charge your students...

i would be more inclined to support your business proposition if you paid someone to learn all this, but since you basically leeched all the info for free, you should at least be considerate enough to let your students know about these websites first.

otherwise, best of luck!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DereX888
    Having said my opinion on cecilio and such, Im glad to get out of this thread. EOT to me.
    well get out i dont want you on my topic, if your gonna be so childish. man your blabbering about i got all this free knowlege from the website. well so what everyone that knows how to make video had to learn one way or another. plus its not like if i have any of your knowlege. i have never seen you once help me out when i ask a question. so why are you complaining. and yes i thank alot of the people in this forum for helping me in my time of needs and especially baldrick for making this website. although he already gave me a warning but its ok i can behave. and well its not like i havent helped people on this forum. i have answered alot of questions in the past few days. and hey i dont get mad at them for learning i like telling people how to do things easily. and i too like being taught knowlege from this website. so i take knowlege and i leave knowlege.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Cecilio
    More surer ways to earn cash with internet knowledge: create adult sites, create fetish sites, or advertise yourself on websites and go on "dates" with strange men promising them their wildest fantasies

woah woah woaaaaah i will not advertise myself and go on dates with strange men. i am a man well kid whatever, but hell no and well that idea is off even if it was for girls i can find my own, but for cash hmm lol j/k and making adult sites, i dont think so, do you think it will work oh and dont worry about me not being able to fix any problem on a computer i am like a computer genious so if theres something wrong with his/her computer i can probably fix it..

A computer genious that can't properly use quotes or have a grasp of the written English language.

Good luck to you in if you start the business.. but with programs like DvD2One becoming more widespread there isn't alot of knowledge to learn, they are very simplistic and easy to use.

I'd personally feel ripped off but I guess there's a sucker born every minute.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey raen yes i know, but not very many people have dvd burners. so i will show them dvd on a cd. i guess
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Raen
    More surer ways to earn cash with internet knowledge: create adult sites, create fetish sites, or advertise yourself on websites and go on "dates" with strange men promising them their wildest fantasies.
    woah woah woaaaaah i will not advertise myself and go on dates with strange men. i am a man well kid whatever, but hell no and well that idea is off even if it was for girls i can find my own, but for cash hmm lol j/k and making adult sites, i dont think so, do you think it will work oh and dont worry about me not being able to fix any problem on a computer i am like a computer genious so if theres something wrong with his/her computer i can probably fix it.[ /quote]

A computer genious that can't properly use quotes or have a grasp of the written English language.

Good luck to you in if you start the business.. but with programs like DvD2One becoming more widespread there isn't alot of knowledge to learn, they are very simplistic and easy to use.

I'd personally feel ripped off but I guess there's a sucker born every minute.
    speaking of not being able to use quotes properly...
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just because someone is a "computer genius" doesn't necessarily make them a literary scholar. I've also noticed that people often leave their (otherwise excellent) writing skills behind when using message boards.

He can actually make money off of the freeware legally. He can charge extra to tell people where to go to get the software. This is a bit of a grey area, but he can also compile a cd of the freeware tools and charge a nominal fee (media + creation time). If he charges $1 a cd, I believe that would be acceptable.

The follow-up could be eliminated by, what was mentioned earlier, creating manuals. You could either simply sell the manuals, or they could be part of the "classroom" literature.

Now some of you need to lighten up on the insults. It's not like he's creating some kind of pyramid scheme. Just trying to collect and teach info, and make a profit if he can.
    Quote Quote