VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've a very simple question.

Previously I can watch VCDs 2.0 with Windows Media Player 6.4 in Win 95, but now after upgraded my PC, I can't watch VCDs 2.0 with Windows Media Player 7.1 in Win2000. The error message is

"...DirectShow Codec .... may be not installed"

The file that Windows Player 7.1 has problem opening is "AVSEQnn.DAT"

BTW, I don't have problem with VCD 1.1 in Win2000.

Have I forgotten to install something?

Pls enlighten me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hmm? Did you try to open the file from within WMP? I know that winXP doesn't like that. Instead you have to run explorer, right click on the file and choose 'open with'. Not sure if this holds true in win2k, but it might be worth a try.

You might want to try to d/load wmp9
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WMP is no (S)VCD player. Use a software DVD player (PowerDVD, WinDVD) to play (S)VCD on a computer. If you're primarily going to watch your videos on the computer, just keep your movies as mpegs (no need to author as (S)VCD).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    WMP is no (S)VCD player. Use a software DVD player (PowerDVD, WinDVD) to play (S)VCD on a computer. If you're primarily going to watch your videos on the computer, just keep your movies as mpegs (no need to author as (S)VCD).

/Mats
    Thanks for all your reply.

I've tried various software such as XingDVD, PowerDVD even Windows Media 6.4 but all of them can't open VCDs 2.0 in Win 2000. But I don't have this problem in Win 95, suspect there is some "DLL" files missing in Win 2000. BTW my Win 2000 is upgraded to SP3, so what else have I forgotten to install?

My PC is Pentium MMX, but Win Media 9.0 requires Pentium II.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Install adaptec's aspi. Some time it helps, for a strange reason!
    Also, install a mpeg 2 software program, and then unistall it but leave the mpeg 2 codec in your PC. This way it might play with windows media player.
    A good player for older PCs, is STHSVCD (or STHDVD) you can download here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools.htm#players

I succeed to watch a SVCD at a pentium 90mhz with this proggy!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by SatStorm
    Install adaptec's aspi. Some time it helps, for a strange reason!
    Also, install a mpeg 2 software program, and then unistall it but leave the mpeg 2 codec in your PC. This way it might play with windows media player.
    A good player for older PCs, is STHSVCD (or STHDVD) you can download here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools.htm#players

I succeed to watch a SVCD at a pentium 90mhz with this proggy!
    Bad news, I've tried this software STHSVCD and can't watch VCD 2.0 too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Maybe this is your problem:

Windows 2000 may not be able to access the files on a video CD. This problem occurs if the video CD is authored with third-party software, and if the Joliet (Secondary Volume Descriptor and directories using Unicode) option is selected. When this problem occurs, Microsoft Windows Media Player may also generate an error message that indicates that the format is not supported.

This bug was fixed in the newly released Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is the same reason why when you rip direct an SVCD to a HD, without using programs like "Iso Buster", on w2k, you get (sometimes) broken files. Rip the same discs on win 98SE and there are no problems.

Excellent, that makes faster the SVCD ripping proccess also for w2k I think.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by baseband
    Maybe this is your problem:

Windows 2000 may not be able to access the files on a video CD. This problem occurs if the video CD is authored with third-party software, and if the Joliet (Secondary Volume Descriptor and directories using Unicode) option is selected. When this problem occurs, Microsoft Windows Media Player may also generate an error message that indicates that the format is not supported.

This bug was fixed in the newly released Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000.

Bingo, SP4 solved the VCD 2.0 problem. I can now watch VCD 2.0 in WMP7, XingDVD etc......Thanks a bunch!!!
    Quote Quote