VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Man, am I pissed....I should of realized long ago when I saw problems with Verbatim DVD+R media I should of stayed away...but I never had a problem with ANY Verbatim DVD-R media..so I figured I'd jump on a few of those spindles at OFFICE DEPOT with the buy 1 get 1 free deal.

Anyway, I realized the VERY FIRST VERBATIM disk I burned had sense errors..sense then...two to 4 of the remaining 15 in each spindle also had sense errors....so I was like WTF! Figured i'd just chalk it up as a loss..but I was really pissed....especially since I NEVER received a sense error from ANY ACCU disk.

Now i'm going over the last 5 or so movies i've burned and realize that in the middle BEFORE U EVEN GET TOWARDS THE END....THE DAMN THING JUST FREEZES! ON BOTH MY DVD ROM and Standalone player!

Something else I found interesting is that these spindles ALL SAY DATA LIFE "PLUS' but are manufactured by CMC CMAG CORP CRAP! Interesting though, the first disk in the first spindle had a manufacturer ID of MMC....very interesting to say the least...that lead me to believe they were all MMC...BUT I WAS WRONG...what does CMC stand for.... CRAP MANUFACTURING CORPORATION? SCREW VERBATIM...i'll never buy another crappy disk from them again..and BEWARE PEOPLE who jumped in on that buy 1 get 1 free deal.....

What really baffles me is the fact that months ago all the Verbatim DVD-R spindles I purchased were also CMC corp..so I thought the people's responses to how bad CMC is..were just over exaggerated...BUT NOT NOW...I see it first hand...just amazes me that there are different manufacturer ID's in the same spindle..as well as how I could be perfect with all the old Verbatim DVD-R disks I burned which were CMC...but all these are completely crappy disks.

Anyway, I took ALL three remaining spindles into Office Depot....one of those spindles was filled with bad disks..out of the 60 disks I got...only 15 of them were good..or AT LEAST APPEAR TO BE GOOD.....so I took back the other 45 to OFFICE DEPOT...told the manager how crappy these disks were and he agreed to exchange them for the buy 1 get 5 free Philips DVD+R's.....being that they were OUT of the FREE 5 PACK you get when you purchase a 25 pack of Philips..I asked him to just make it an even transaction..he told me fine..and did it!

So now I have 75 unused Philips DVD+R's in exchange for the remaining Verbatim DVD-R's...I got the guy to not even hold it against me that it was buy one get one free on the Verbatim disks..he just gave me three 25 pack spindles of the Philips disks...I gotta believe these disks have to be better then these piece of junk Verbatims...man..talk about a waste of time...I'll never purchase another Verbatim again...If they were the last media manufacturer on the planet...i'd purchase from Mars....Screw Verbatim!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Defense,

Thanks for info. I am using Verbatim and since no problem. The difference I could think is I have never used DVD-r media. I am using DVD+r and so far working out for me. How did you check the menufacturer for the disk? I guess I can check using some program.-B
    Quote Quote  
  3. That sucks defense,I guess you can't trust Verbatim either.Unfortunatly the dreaded hodge-podge spindles are becoming more common,my guess is the manufacturers think we're stupid and don't know any better.

@Bhola,
    You can find manufacturer info.(most of the time)using Nero CDSpeed, InfoTool or if you have a Lite-On drive you can use KProbe.
    www.cdspeed2000.com
    http://upload.cdfreaks.com/Kprobe/kpsetup.exe
    Quote Quote  
  4. MOVIEGEEK,

It really sucks. So far I do not have problem and will check media tonight. I have SonyDRU 500 UL and Sony even recomended Verbatim for this drive.

Here is a link for the same-
    http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/mediainfo_gb_na0305232.html
    B
    Quote Quote  
  5. @MovieGeek, yea, that really does suck...talk about a waste of time...I thought I could rely on these Verbatim DVD-R's...but being that these dirty bastards had BOTH MMC AND CMC manufacturer ID's in the same spindle leads me to believe exactly what you are saying...that Verbatim thinks we're just some stupid shits...but I don't play that crap..and they can take those 45 disks and shove them up their ass.....because I now have 75 fresh Philips DVD+R's and didn't pay a single cent for any of them.

Funny thing is that I also went to Best Buy afterwards and noticed that NOW they have the DVD-R's that say "DATA LIFE" WITHOUT the PLUS on the spindle..and the media looks MUCH CHEAPER..it doesn't have that nice gloss clear coat on the top like the other ones.....I guess Verbatim decided to put those CMC disks in a DATA LIFE PLUS package...I have no clue what they tried to pull...but I'll never purchase another disk from them again....screw em'!

@Bhola, go to the tools section of this site and download DVDINFO and you can check your manufacturer id's there. I'd be willing to bet that the DVD+R's...like the DVD+R's I have from Verbatim will say MMC which is apparently a much higher quality disk...but who knows now with the crap Verbatim is pulling......as far as i'm concerned i'm sticking with what works...and Verbatim definitely doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @defense:
    The three letter abbreviation for Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation is MCC, not MMC.

Also, all Mitsubishi/Verbatim CD-R/DVD-R's made in Taiwan are made at the CMC Magnetics Corporation manufacturing plant, regardless of whether they have the CMC or MCC manufacturer ID.

If you want discs made at a dedicated MCC plant, look for Verbatims made in Singapore.

TerminalVeloCD
    Quote Quote  
  7. @terminovelocd, I hadn't checked the id since the first disk I tested weeks ago when I purchased the Verbatim disks. The Id was NOT CMC...and started with an "M"...if it was MMC OR MCC OR MCM I really don't know...I just know it didn't have that CMC...MAG crap that the CMC disks have.

Your reply is very interesting however, because this may explain why the Verbatim DVD-R disks I purchased months earlier had NO problems. They may of been MCC disks with a CMC manufacturer ID. I'm not sure..all I can say for a fact is that THIRTY VERBATIM DVD-R's out of 30...OR 100% BURNED PERFECTLY and played PERFECTLY..all the way through...those have CMC manufacturer ID....but damn near EVERYONE of these OFFICE DEPOT two for ONE Verbatim disks have some type of issue..whether it is bad enough to stop the burning process or noticed during playback.

Something is defintely wrong there...and as far as "wanting" Verbatim disks....I guess you didn't read my post fully....I wouldn't take Verbatim disks if you gave them to me...not from Singapore or PooraSing..or anywhere else....as I said...SCREW VERBATIM!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've used Verbatim DVD+R exclusivly on a Sony DRU500AX with *No* Coasters. I buy them at Office Depot. I've noticed that Verbatim DVD+R is rated at 4X, but there is no burn speed rating on thier DVD-R. What's up with that?
    Geronimo
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, buy the Verbatim discs only if they say Made in Singapore, stay away from the ones that are Made in Taiwan. Taiwan = CMC Singapore = MCC
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah I had a similar thing happen to me with the 15 Verbatim I bought. I just won't buy any Verbatim media, problem solved.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Folks,

I just tried on one of my Verbatim and here is the output from DVDinfo.

Media Information
    Disc is Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Media code/Mfr ID RICOHJPNR01
    Formatted Size 4.32GB(4.63GB)
    Total Size 4.32GB(4.63GB)
    Book Type DVD+R
    Media type DVD+R
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBs
    Current Drive Speed 4.0x 5540KBs
    Default Rotation Control CLV
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    No of Layers 1

In media code it says RICOHJPNR01. Does this one crapy???- B
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    (;-{> Dd
    Strength and Honor
    www.dvd9to5.com
    www.dvd9to5.com/forum/
    "For every moment of truth there's confusion in life"
    Black Sabbath/Ronnie James Dio
    Quote Quote  
  13. @Bhola...where did you purchase your Verbatim disks from. Just from that media code alone..it emphasizes what i'm trying to say which is that Verbatim is a bunch of schysters. They think they are slick....according to other posters some say the data life "plus" disks are the best...and the data life aren't. These are seasoned posters as well. Unfortuantely I have the proof right here that the Data Life "PLUS" disks are absolutely made by CMC...at least several spindles which I have. Interesting that the CMC disks I got months ago burned perfectly..not a single problem..but the new ones from Office Depot have all kinds of problems.

The DVD+R Verbatim disks I purchased a while back all have the manufacturer ID of MCC and those disks are ALSO DATA LIFE "PLUS"...not to mention that THE MCC disks I had some issues with..while the CMC disks, had no issues early on...so the point to this is that there is no full proof way of finding out what manufacturer id you actually have....and being that I have seen different media codes in the DVD-R Verbatim spindle...

I have no clue what Verbatim is trying to pull....your media id is that of a non branded, generic disk, if i'm not mistaking...so now the plot just thickens....bottom line...Buyer Beware...I was aware..a little too late, but not as late as it could of been..and I made out with more disks which i'm currently 5 outta 5 with...these Philips DVD+R's @ 2.4x definitely appear to be a better quality disk... 5 out of 5 and I hopefully expect this trend will continue.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased a 30 pack spindle of Verbatim DataLifePlus from Sam's club, that also reads Media code/Mfr ID RICOHJPNR01.

That happens to be the same code as the Fuji disks I used previously, of which I had absolutely no problems. And, the Verbatim disks are made in Taiwan just like the Fuji's. So far no problems with them.

Ron
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have been using Verbatim for over a year, and all the DVD-Rs, are Datalifeplus, and yes from Taiwan. Out of the 200 burns, I have had maybe 4-5 with bad burns(meaning stopped with errors). I have always burned to the edge of the disc. I have yet to get a spindle of 15 from Signapore, every place I order from only seems to have the ones from Taiwan, at least thats what they are giving me.

I have had problems with my Verbatims playing in my PS2, when I burn at 2X. When I burn at 1X, the PS2 plays perfectly. I think its the PS2, and not the Verbatims, cause I tried TDK, and it does the same thing.

Viz
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vizcaya
    I have been using Verbatim for over a year, and all the DVD-Rs, are Datalifeplus, and yes from Taiwan. Out of the 200 burns, I have had maybe 4-5 with bad burns(meaning stopped with errors). I have always burned to the edge of the disc. I have yet to get a spindle of 15 from Signapore, every place I order from only seems to have the ones from Taiwan, at least thats what they are giving me.
    That's great and all, but what are the media codes?
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    4X +R media with RICOHJPNR01 code:

Verbatim
    Ritek
    Maxell
    Memorex
    TDK
    Traxdata

I bought the Verbatims from BB and they work OK with my Sony DRU500A/X firmware 2.0c /not flashed, it came with like this/. I assume the discs listed above will give the same results because obviously this is the same disc branded in a different way.

Enjoy 15 min burns!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My 10 pack Sentinel 2x -R was a mix of manufacturers, all labelled "Sentinel" but not all were manufactured by Sentinel, some were OptoDisc.

Last week, I bought a 5 pack Sentinel 4x -R and the first one I took was "OptoDisc".

Considering the variety and the major differences between reliable and unreliable discs I'd say stay away from spindles.

I bought 10 Verbatims 2x -R, all 10 manufactured by Verbatim and no problems whatsoever, bought another 10 pack, no problems, so I went back to the store and bought the entire lot

You can't trust on the label anymore, I'd say try before you buy.
    Sony DRU-500A v1.0d
    Toshiba SD-M1302 v1006
    Philips DVDR885P v1.7/8
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I've got a spindle of 25 Verbatim DataLifePlus 2.4x DVD+R with the following media code:

Burned with Nero 5.5.10.28 and Sony DRU500A (1f).

Plays like a dream, all the way to the end. I can jump chapters any which way without a problem.

Must be a bad batch around.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    rhegedus......

what program is that a screen shot of??

thanks
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  22. It is weird how people have great success with Verbatim and some don't. I personally have no problems with them. I have a NEC1100 with my Dell and have yet to burn a coaster with them.

_
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim use to be the only media that I used (Verbatim Data Life Plus DVD-R) but I also noticed the different media codes. So I am currently using TDK from BB or Target. They playback with no problems and when I use DVDinfo on them it says TDK.

SLICK RICK
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Nobody likes a bunch of yackity-yack.
    Quote Quote  
  24. rhegedus
    Thanks for posting the link for DVD Info. That's a handy slick little progie.
    Geronimo
    Quote Quote  
  25. defense,

I bought this media from BB (Total 60) I burn about 7 and I checked 2 of them last night (was up til 2 AM) both worked like dream. No problem. I can go to next chapter or go to menu and movie just play w/o problem.
    I have RICOHJPNR01 code in all verbatim, all Imation 2x RW and Fujifilm DVD+r. So far none of them gave me any problem- B
    Quote Quote  
  26. G'day all,

For your information, I'm pretty sure that discs with the Ricoh manufacturer ID are made at RiTEK, just like Ricoh's CD-R's.

Very good media indeed!

TerminalVeloCD
    Quote Quote  
  27. This is the Media Information on the Verbatims I am using. These are Datalifeplus. Why does it say write speed 1.0X , when I am able to write at 2X.?

Media Information
    Region info N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Mfr ID MCC00RG200
    Formatted Size Blank
    Total Size Blank(4.7GB?)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media type V2.0 DVD-R
    Media Id Code Speed Unknown
    Write Srategy Speed 1.0x 1385KBs
    Current Drive Speed 2.0x 2770KBs
    Default Rotation Control CLV
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    No of Layers 1
    Quote Quote  
  28. Oh yeah the complete media code says

00 42 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 50 00 02 87 0D 13 .B...@....P.....
    88 99 80 00 03 4D 43 43 20 30 30 00 04 52 47 32 .....MCC 00..RG2
    30 30 20 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 .............
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    00 00 00 00 50 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....P...........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whilst we're on the subject of Verbarim, I recently bought a spindle of 25 Verbatim DataLifePlus 2x DVD-R (along with the +R mentioned above). It's got the following media code:

Things aren't looking good

So far out of 14 disks, 2 were duds (not even recognised by my Sony DRU500) and 12 only burned at 2x when I upgraded my firmware to 2f (previously 1f would burn everyting). Of the 12 successfully burned, 2 would give me a DISK ERROR message in my JVC XV-S300BK which plays EVERYTHING (probably even a guitar if I could load it ) and 1 started jumping about towards the end of the DVD.

Summary: only 9 out of 14 disks were useable

Which, I'm sure you agree is quite shit for Verbatim $. I've never had any problems with the 100s of Verbatims I've burned before this and have always voted for them in tgpo's polls. As others have pointed out, the quality control of the spindle disks falls far below that of the jewel cased disks on sale. Next time I but -R in spindles, it won't be Verbatim

I really hope that someone form Verbatim reads this.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is VERY sad news about Verbatim disc, they used to be the old standby when I saw a good deal on them. Oh well, I guess there is always apple disc for a local pickup.
    Quote Quote