VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. @rhegedus, everyone handles situations in their own way. You deal with it your way...I'll deal with it my way.

You want me to write Verbatim a letter? C'mon man,...I didn't realize you were a comedian. I'm gonna write them a letter and waste even more time then I already did on numerous movies which took 6 hours a piece to encode as well as rip, author, etc..etc. With the time I spend with work, play, watching and burning movies, and posting on this forum, where the hell am I gonna find time to write some crap company a letter?

And what is that letter gonna do? You actually believe that Verbatim is unaware of the crap media they are producing. Come on....that's why they have countless companies manufacturing their media. You don't think CMC alone can hanlde Verbatim's request? They are second behind Ritek in market share...Verbatim knows CMC produces crap media...but they could care less.

Oh yea, so Verbatim will raise their prices if enough people give them a taste of their own medicine? Great, who gives a crap....i'm not purchasin' another Verbatim disk again...so it could be ten cents a disk or ten dollars a disk..makes me no difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What if you had bought off the net?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  3. rob, no doubt I understand your point. It is made, and like everything there are two sides. Now, as far as the net...I wouldn't of purchased Verbatim on the net, because they are 3x the price of any retail store.

Also, on the net, it's your ass if you get somethin' bad. That's why you have to beware of these sites and be careful until you find one that is reputable and you can deal with. I have found that with Meritline/cdrdvdrmedia.com although Rima has very good feedback as well.

Point being...you are making Verbatim out to be this excellent company who built a reputation on excellent media. You are correct with the reputation...but how many companies start out small, but once get they get that reputation..they start basically shafting you in ways you may or may not be aware of. You know how ridiculous it is that this media could meet ANY quality control inspection? It's a total joke, and for the cost of this DVD media, it's downright disgraceful!

You don't care much because you lost a few disks...who cares, right? Let's say you relied HEAVILY upon Verbatim and Verbatim's "repuatation" and burned 500 disks, only to find out afterwards that most were coasters. You trust that company so you figure that you know you are getting quality media..hell, maybe a coaster here and there...but every damn disk!...Come on...and there are MANY companies who will give you what you want while they are small..but once they get enormously sized, they are quick to start pullin' fast ones and nickel and diming you to cut as much cost as they can.

If you read my post yesterday..Verbatim tried to shaft me outta a measly $7...those crooked bastards! They tried to say the MIR was only for + media...and how many people did they pull that crap on who FORGOT about their rebate check..or who didn't wanna call countless times to get $7.....

I wouldn't be surprised to see a class action law suit against Verbatim if this keeps up...I mean that in all seriousness...they have taken a ton of money from people...just down right taken it....sooner or later it will catch up to em though.

But my question to you is are you gonna have the same response and write Verbatim a letter when your out thousands of hours and countless thousands of dollars. Their business practice is unethical and they are a disgrace. I don't want to keep beating a dead horse...but believe me when I tell you, there are alot of people across the country who lost a shit load of money with these absolutely horrible disks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by defense
    replace them with 12 clear/plastic DVD pieces...and bring the disks back to the store for a refund..of course having the 3 remaining real disks on top of the spindle.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but it is humorous. I wouldn't have thought of it. Just be wary of the stores (like Fry's) that inspect every square inch of the item before accepting it in return. Not worth the risk, considering it is theft/fraud, and stores are known to call the police.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Point being...you are making Verbatim out to be this excellent company who built a reputation on excellent media. You are correct with the reputation...but how many companies start out small, but once get they get that reputation..they start basically shafting you in ways you may or may not be aware of. You know how ridiculous it is that this media could meet ANY quality control inspection? It's a total joke, and for the cost of this DVD media, it's downright disgraceful!
    Well, my understanding of quality control is that you pick a few disks out of a batch and test them. Obviusly, the more you test the more accurate and precise the quality control. But since this is write once media, you can't test too many otherwise you'd have nothng left to sell. Say they test 1 out of 25 (4%) - it's still unlikely that they'd pick up on my 5 bad disks out of 25. QC is there to detect large scale f*** ups, not the occasional one.

I'd also bet that since Verbatim contracted CMC for the media, it's CMC that does the QC too. SO how would Verbatim know there was a problem unless the customer made them aware of it?

You don't care much because you lost a few disks...who cares, right? Let's say you relied HEAVILY upon Verbatim and Verbatim's "repuatation" and burned 500 disks, only to find out afterwards that most were coasters. You trust that company so you figure that you know you are getting quality media..hell, maybe a coaster here and there...but every damn disk!...Come on...and there are MANY companies who will give you what you want while they are small..but once they get enormously sized, they are quick to start pullin' fast ones and nickel and diming you to cut as much cost as they can.
    Come on! Surely you test every disk the second it comes out of the burner? You don't wait until you've done 500 to test.

If you read my post yesterday..Verbatim tried to shaft me outta a measly $7...those crooked bastards! They tried to say the MIR was only for + media...and how many people did they pull that crap on who FORGOT about their rebate check..or who didn't wanna call countless times to get $7.....
    Yep - I agree. Shit customer service.

But my question to you is are you gonna have the same response and write Verbatim a letter when your out thousands of hours and countless thousands of dollars. Their business practice is unethical and they are a disgrace. I don't want to keep beating a dead horse...but believe me when I tell you, there are alot of people across the country who lost a shit load of money with these absolutely horrible disks.
    Thousands of $? That's thousands of DVDRs - just how many disks are you planning to back up? I'd be a pretty dumb MF if I hadn't learned my lesson by then.

Like I said - 5 duff disks out of over 100. I can live with that - I'm just annoyed they all happenned in the same spindle, but it is the fact that until now, I had a 100% success rate with Verbatim that makes me think that this might be a one-off for me.

I think the dead horse is pretty much beat up now................
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  6. rhegedus, again, I understand your points..but you're wrong. Not everyone tests their disks the second they get burned. Why? Becuase you do that early on..when you are SKEPTIKAL of media. Poll the question on this forum..if people are honest I bet they'll tell you they probably stopped checking their disks , at least "thoroughly" because they trust their specific type of media. Especially when it's been mentioned so often that price makes a huge difference...if that's the case, people who spend $3 a pop on Verbatim disks may more times then not be under the impression that they are getting flawless disks. They assume if the burn process goes well, then all is dandy...not the case, as we've seen.

You have only lost 5 disks..so you aren't in the percentage of people who lost every damn disk in their spindle. Verbatim knows CMC makes crappy disks...that's why they use em'...because they make so many the profit to Verbatim has to be greater then it would be from having Taiyo Yuden manufacturer their disks.

I wasn't referring to me backing up thousands of movies...i've barely done a percentage of movies that many others have...I was saying the person who does..the person who uses Verbatim disks for a living...ask people that do Video editing for weddings, etc...

and are constantly swamped with work...and ask them if they heavily scrutinize each and every one of their disks....they don't..should they? Maybe..but time is money and by getting a single coaster...that's a lot of time and a lot of money..but getting COUNTLESS COASTERS? Come on....you are taking the side of a person who has barely been burned....your views would be different if you put in all your movies on Verbatim media and realized their was an issue with most of them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You shouldn't be paying more $3 a pop for CMC media anyway. You can get a spindle of Khypermedia(CMC) for about $1 each if its on sale.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You shouldn't be paying more $3 a pop for CMC media anyway. You can get a spindle of Khypermedia(CMC) for about $1 each if its on sale.
    No, you shouldn't...but how many people out there actually have a clue Verbatim media is CMC? oR THE MAJORITY of it anyway?

Not many...so people THINK they are getting such excellent media..while Verbatim can continue to stack their chips which become progressively larger....while you get screwed and have no clue HOW such a reputable company can have so many bad disks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    rhegedus, again, I understand your points..but you're wrong.
    Just because someone has a different opinion to you, it does not make them wrong.

You have only lost 5 disks..so you aren't in the percentage of people who lost every damn disk in their spindle. Verbatim knows CMC makes crappy disks...that's why they use em'...because they make so many the profit to Verbatim has to be greater then it would be from having Taiyo Yuden manufacturer their disks.
    If that was the case, then Verbatim would have used crappy media right from the start. Like I said, they didn't get their reputation because they were using crap.

I wasn't referring to me backing up thousands of movies...i've barely done a percentage of movies that many others have...I was saying the person who does..the person who uses Verbatim disks for a living...ask people that do Video editing for weddings, etc...
    Answered here:

Best DVD's for recording Wedding videos onto?

Verbatim gets as many nods as anything else.

and are constantly swamped with work...and ask them if they heavily scrutinize each and every one of their disks....they don't..should they? Maybe..but time is money and by getting a single coaster...that's a lot of time and a lot of money..but getting COUNTLESS COASTERS? Come on....you are taking the side of a person who has barely been burned....your views would be different if you put in all your movies on Verbatim media and realized their was an issue with most of them.
    In the first line of your first post you said:

but I never had a problem with ANY Verbatim DVD-R media
    How did you go from never having problems with ANY Verbarim DVD-R media to countless coasters - especially since you said 2 to 4 disks (wow, that's accuracy from one so demanding!) from the 15 having errors. Is 4 countless for you?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  10. rheghedus...the facts are here...you don't have much leg to stand on.

This isn't about "getting" a reputation. It's obvious that things have changed and Verbatim has obviously tried to cut costs to the point that many people have experienced serious issues with their media.

You obviously haven't read my posts...one of the things I said was that back MONTHS ago..when I first used Verbatim, I was pefect with the DVD-R's which happen to be CMC. But the MCC Verbatim's had some issues.

that was MONTHS ago and something I quoted from myself to prove a point.

That back then the disks were fine..something has definitely changed..and it's many things..look at the countless different packages..the fact that some are certified 2x while others aren't...while MANY CMC DISKS SAY DATA LIFE "PLUS" when they shoul only say DATA LIFE because they are CMC disks.

Bottom line is that people in the PAST had great success with Verbatim disks..but obviously Verbatim has changed their business practices and just becuase your car ran great yesterday, doens't mean it will run great today. The same thing holds true with your luck and your life.

Your arguement is very moot and has no weight....what Verbatim did int he past is no justification for the way they are producing crap media across the COUNTRY now.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think only a select few are having problems with Verbatim DVDs. A bunch of my friends, and people I talk to online don't have any problems like you talk about. I bought about 120 DVD+Rs at the Office Depot sale, but I did pick out the one that were made in Singapore and I've burnt over 60 of those batch already and not one coaster yet. And yes, I test my burnt disc in my home DVD player just to make sure it was burnt ok....EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEM.

I don't think Verbatime did anything wrong here. Yes, they had CMC make some of their discs and yes, they did lower their prices too. It's just like Honda, they make some cars in Japan while some of them are made in America. I've never had any CMC Verbatims, I only got MCC and Taiyo Yudens. If you get CMC, just return them.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I don't think Verbatime did anything wrong here. Yes, they had CMC make some of their discs and yes, they did lower their prices too. It's just like Honda, they make some cars in Japan while some of them are made in America. I've never had any CMC Verbatims, I only got MCC and Taiyo Yudens. If you get CMC, just return them.
    Its one thing if you have part of your company in another country, its another if you contract a crappy manufacturer to build your cars. How would you like it if you bought a Honda and it was made by Kia.
    Quote Quote  
  13. acuratl, you have no clue what you're talking about. Read the posts before responding. More then a "select few" in this very post alone have had all sorts of issues. Try and read a little before you respond. Also try and respond with a little variety, the same "broken record" posts get old..being that you only have 14 posts and their the "broken record" type...maybe you'll feel like saying the same thing another 50 times or so.
    Quote Quote  
  14. defense, I feel like you are the one that sounds like a broken record. Do you have any sufficient date as to how many people that purchased Verbatims are having problems with them? Also, does it really matter how many posts I have? I could be like you and thread crap in every single post so I can be over 1000 just like you. All I am saying is, Verbatim is a good company and I still believe in it. I've never had any problems with any of their disc, not even one. Maybe I am just lucky, or maybe you are just unlucky. But either way, just because I don't agree with you, you don't have to put me down.

LanEvo7, I see your point and thank you for not putting me down like someone. In that case, I would make sure that before I bought that Honda, it is not made in Korea LOL
    Quote Quote  
  15. Folks,

I am really confuses. I have used several different media. I have Imation (2x) Memorex (2x) and lastly Verbatim (2x & 4x). Can you believe all media code is RICOHJNPR00. How can be all company selling same mfg disk with different price?
    And so far I have not waste any disk- all about 100 out 100 are perfect! -B
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've not had any problems with verbatims either, HOWEVER I've not used the recent ones. I have however used disc with that CMC code in the past and they were awful.

Mine have either been like the last picture posted in this thread if you scan above, both with and without the blue inner ring depending on if was a pack or a spindel.

For now I'll say away until I hear its been resolved one way or another, the good news is apple disc are still cheap and my local target seems to carry TDK 2x at a normal price of 5 for $13.99 or 5 with DVD cases for $15.99.
    Quote Quote  
  17. The disc manufacturer doesn't care. They just make the discs. Its the company that brands the disc who decides what price to set it at.
    Quote Quote  
  18. AcuraTL, you feel like i'm a broken record and I know you are...see the difference? As far as posts...no..it has nothing to do with amount of posts...but the few on this thread you have responded to have all been ignorant at best. You say a 'select few" have had problems...before you worry about what I post in my 1000 posts, try and read this simple thread. You gotta start somewhere, and not everyone had the advantages of hooked up phonix.

Then if you succeed, go ahead and read my posts then....I give you permission at that point.

This thread had many more then a select "few" have issues with Verbatim media, and what's even more disgraceful is that it was mainly people who purchased the media from a sale at Office Depot. That's talking about people all over the country who have experienced very similar.

As I said, try and read just a "little" before responding..make yourself at least attempt to look like you know what your saying.

@Bhola, Ricoh apparently makes a great deal of DVD+R media..I assume some of that media you have is +R? Either way, Ricoh is a solid media manufacturer...at least for "now" ...so that's why you are having much success. If you ever purchase cd's...you'd be surprised how many are all CMC manufactured...memorex and Imation to name a few.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Defense, You are right! I only buy +R as the price really same so why to bother to buy -r. My all success was with +R I never tried -r that could answer my question.
    And I did not bought media from Office Depot, I went to Best Buy and ask for price match and they did -B
    Quote Quote  
  20. defense, why don't YOU read this whole thread over and list the names of the people that have issues with Verbatim. I have been reading this thread ever since you started it. I can only count 3 or 4 posters that said they have problems with the Verbatim DVDs. By the way, since you posted like 50 times on this thread, you can only count yourself as 1.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I just looked at Verbatim’s in the media post section, and found that most of the posts say Verbatim is OK. Even for CMC made discs, they are not too bad. The new Khyper Media made my CMC are fine too. A lot of people say LD is terrible. I have successfully burned about 40 of 40 COMPUSA's made by LD. Remember things are changing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you ever purchase cd's...you'd be surprised how many are all CMC manufactured...memorex and Imation to name a few.
    Verbatim, Pioneer, and the list goes on and on.

But the CMC CD media is different. It's either total crap, or somewhat crap.

I like what LanEvo7 said
    Originally Posted by LanEvo7
    You shouldn't be paying more $3 a pop for CMC media anyway. You can get a spindle of Khypermedia(CMC) for about $1 each if its on sale.
    That's the whole reason why anyone who purchased these Verbatim's are pissed. Everybody buys Verbatim because they expect it to be a high quality product. That's why it commands a premium price. Instead the quality is the same as the dreaded KHypermedia available for 1/4th the price.

Verbatim has decided to use a sub par media OEM (CMC) to make a few extra bucks. They do this by pushing their "good" brand on us.

Had they decided to use only one second high quality OEM (Taiyo Yuden), or Maxell, things would be different. But they lowered the quality, with no indication for the consumer to see the difference. The packages are the same, the media looks somewhat the same.

I didn't want to believe it either. But considering what Verbatim personally told me on the phone, compare that to the hard proof that is shown and talked about in this thread, destroys any faith I ever had in the Verbatim name brand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ defense

You're somewhat reluctant to say how many coasters you actually had: you allude to 2 or 4 (if I was making this much fuss, I'd be more accurate) but also describe this as 'countless'.

So come on, just how bad did Verbatim rip you off?

Oh yeah! How can I not have read your posts but still quote you?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  24. I just looked at Verbatim’s in the media post section, and found that most of the posts say Verbatim is OK. Even for CMC made discs, they are not too bad. The new Khyper Media made my CMC are fine too. A lot of people say LD is terrible. I have successfully burned about 40 of 40 COMPUSA's made by LD. Remember things are changing.
    You should read the brand names with the manufacturer of CMC(Memorex, Khypermedia) . Usually 50% or more of the people say that they have one or more major issue. Like pixilation, errors near the end of the disc, coasters, etc. The percentage of people reporting problems with it is about Princo's ranges. Why are you paying $3 a disc for branded crap when you can get Princo for about $0.80 each.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The percentage of people reporting problems with it is about Princo's ranges. Why are you paying $3 a disc for branded crap when you can get Princo for about $0.80 each.
    Agreed.

But I'd like to point out that at least Princo discs will burn, and the errors are always near the end of the discs - if there is one (errors happen maybe 1%-5% of the time at most).

The CMC crap wouldn't even burn sometimes (failing at about 50% -at 1x speed!) and the "successful" burns would pixelate and go all crappy in the middle of the disc. Out of the 15 Verbatim CMC discs I burned, NOT A SINGLE ONE was any good. I've never had a problem like that. I was flabbergasted. And no, it wasn't me, it was the horrendous CMC discs.

I would put CMC on par with LeadData, as they have similar problems.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I would put CMC on par with LeadData, as they have similar problems.
    Lead Datas are way above Princo and CMC. I've burned over 50 of them without any issues. No pixelation, no coasters, no "end of disc" errors. 100% successful.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would put CMC on par with LeadData, as they have similar problems.
    Lead Datas are way above Princo and CMC. I've burned over 50 of them without any issues. No pixelation, no coasters, no "end of disc" errors. 100% successful.
    Fair enough. I'm speaking of the LeadDatas I had back in 2001 and 2002. After all the disappointments, I gave up on them. They had errors all over the discs at random spots. And back then, the discs were about $4 each in bulks of 50.

At least with Princo, I've always known the workaround was to keep the content under 4GB. The new 4x I can fill up to the full 4.38GB and not an error in sight.

Maybe they've both improved.

In any case, CMC has only gotten worse.
    Quote Quote  
  28. @rheghedus, you say that I am "reluctant" to post how many coasters I actually had? You are not reading, your are skimming, buddy.

If you'd like me to quote myself, i'd be glad to if it helps you. I said 2-4 disks were bad with "burning" issues. Meanining the disks wouldn't even freakin' burn! I was ready to just bite the loss becaues the same was true with the DVD+R "MCC" Verbatim disks I purchased months ago. I also quoted myself from that time.

However, when I started heavily scrutinizing each disk, I noticed that these Verbatim disks were SO BAD, they weren't freezing towards the ending chapter, they were freezing towards the MIDDLE CHAPTERS! That really shocked me...and as I started to test about 6 backups...I realized that they were ALL COASTERS! So it came down to about 2 disks out of every 15 pack spindle being fine. I also WROTE THAT and will quote it if it helps you. You can't just skim, you gotta read.

I made a false assumption...thinking it was just the ones that wouldn't burn which were screwed....but I couldn't believe how many coasters I had on hand. What made it worse was the fact that I had never had a problem up to that point with ANY DVD "-R" by VERBATIM, which ONCE AGAIN, I ALSO QUOTED. So is it becoming clear now? Yea, I trusted the Verbatim DVD-R disks. As Disturbed said, media which people pay premium prices for, when it's really the same crap as Khypermedia....becomes pretty damn frustrating. Now I am at the point where each and every disk burned by ANY brand will be heavily inspected.

Once I started trusting those Sony ACCU disks, I never looked back and never had a single damn issue in 150 out of 150!! Take that ratio vs the Crap 2 per 15 good disks in the EXPENSIVE VERBATIM batch...and you do the math..especially when you consider the price!...Oh, I also said the same thing about the ratio thing vs. ACCU and price too...I can QUOTE THAT AS WELL.

Being that i've repeated myself like AcuraTL now, I don't need to quote anything....everything I have said here now Rheghedus, was said prior.

Things have changed, wake up....Verbatim's making money by basically taking many people with these Crap disks. You are like one of those people who says...ohh...no...no Capital Punishment for anyone...then your family gets wiped out by a serial killer and you are quick to change your tune...then you'd want Capital Punishment enforced the same DAY without a trial!

You got a few bad disks and aren't facing the facts...keep buying those Verbatim disks....do yourself a favor...they're excellent media..and well worth the price.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, I skimmed - sorry, past my bedtime

You got a bum deal and are right to feel pissed off, but I wouldn't be so eager to jump ship because of a duff spindle. The same +Rs which caused you problems work fine for me. Ho hum.

Off topic:

As for capital punishment, don't get me started! I'd gladly have it in the UK - starting with littering and then work on up throught the rest of the crimes.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  30. I bought two "combo packs" of Verbatim DVD+R which have 9 +Rs and one +RW. So far, out of four or five discs (of the 18 I've got) NONE of them burned properly. Oh, sure, Veritas RecordNow tells me that I had a successful burn, but when I pop 'em in the DVD drive, it doesn't even recognize that there's a disc in. On two standalone players, the disc will just spin after it's gotten to the second 0 (IE: 00---) in the "reading" display. I'm burning with a DRU500A 2.0f and so far have absolutely ZERO luck.

That's not to mention the 10 coasters I burned with Sony's OWN DVD-Rs and the 10 discs I burned of theirs that were +Rs which burned properly, but had tons of errors on the discs. Needless to say, I feel your pain, pal.
    Quote Quote