VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    It was sad news, but your avatar has cheered me up!
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  2. @rhegedus, sorry to hear your having the same trouble. I would send every damn disk back to Verbatim and get some type of credit. I mean, I was gonna chalk about the few in each 15 pack spindle that gave me sense errors...but when I came to find out the ones that did burn successfully..had numerous other issues...I send F..U.*K this! No way was I gonna eat 13 outta 15 disks!

Fortunately, these CMC PHILIPS DVD+R's seem to work much better..i'm filling the disks to capacity, and i'm 10 for 10 thus far. Not sure if it is that CMC just makes a better +R disk, or if the Philips CMC disks are just better..but I do know that VERBATIM SUCKS ALL TOGETHER!

If you check back in November, I wrote posts saying that these highly "coveted" MCC VERBATIM DVD+R disks had many flaws. I even pm'd flaystus on this because he had commented on this issue to another poster about "CHEAP" media...we both concurred Verbatim wasn't considered CHEAP media...but this just goes to show you that Verbatim is OBVIOUSLY cutting costs and expect most people to just use these disks for VHS 2 DVD...which I suppose wouldn't fill up an entire disk....well, they can screw themselves as far as i'm concerned...but I just wanna make it clear that these "MCC" Verbatim disks may appear better to some..but they DEFINITELY HAVE ISSUES as well...probably not nearly as many as the CMC disks....but they have problems.....that's ok though...you live and learn, right? And I learned never to purchase another Verbatim disk again....that solves my concerns with Verbatim.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thought about that but the problem is that I needed the disks for a production order this week and replacing them would have meant a few days delay in posting (I bought off the net) as well as having to take time off to be at home when the delivery arrived. The 5 duff disks cost about £8 ($15) so I'm not too bothered, mostly disappointed that I can't rely on Verbatim any more. I just hope that the +R disks I wrote about above don't turn out that way too.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  4. I burned 25 discs which bought from office depot buy 1 get 1 free. All are good and burned at 4X. Burned with NEC 1100
    Quote Quote  
  5. With SONY DRU-500AX, I have successfully burned 10 of 10 –R’s at speed 2, 10 of 10 +R’s at speed 2.4 that were both from Office Depot buy one spindle get one free. CMC is the manufacturer code of –R, and MCC is that of +R.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I appreciate defense and rhegedus' posts concerning the new Verbatim DVD-Rs. I bought two packs (opened one and burned one DVD-R). The DVD-R played fine, but I didn't want to take any chances. I got a full refund and used the difference towards another 20PK of TDK DVD-Rs for $29.99. Now I have about 16 of the original Verbatim DVD-Rs (they had the 2x on the label and the DataLife Plus Logo, so, I believe they are the original Verbatims) and 60 TDK DVD-Rs. That should keep me busy for a couple of months or days . I think you can also tell by the way the "Blue" Shading fades on the logo of the disc (On the CMC disc, it has triangle points at the end of the fade, and the original simply cuts off evenly).
    Quote Quote  
  7. @erwin, you did the right thing by getting those TDK's. Just a quick question...you confused me by saying CMC disks..I thought you said your Verbatim's were "RITEK." Are you saying you also got a mixed spindle like I did? Or are you saying you had some CMC disks prior which you are comparing. Also, can you be a little more specific regarding the fading....I mean, It doesn't really matter..i'm just curious.

As far as the CMC Verbatim disks go...as I have said..they looked exactly the same way the last batch of CMC Verbatim's I purchased...they had the nice gloss clear coat on top but these from Office Depot were much different..much crappier. The only difference was that one batch came from Best buy, while these came from Office Depot. They BOTH say DATA LIFE "PLUS" on the spindle AND THE DISKS...but are all CMC with the exception of an MCC here and there.

Anyway, just think it would be interesting..so if you can give a little more info on that fading...i'm gonna check all my Verbatim's just for fun.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The surface of "newer" Verbatim DVD-R is first and the old Verbatim DVD-R is second.

Notice the "Ocean Wave-Like" pattern when the blue 1/4 pie shape fades on the newer disc. All the new ones are like this. The other one simply has a straight line without the waves at the end. The next picture I have is another variety of the older Verbatims. They had a blue hub in the center. You don't see too many of these anymore.

I hope this clears some things up. It was hard for me to take these pictures properly. I still don't think I succeeded. But I think you can make out the difference between the two.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a better shot of the blue inner ring (though the other parts of the scan suck)

for everyone else pictures of the jewel cases are here https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165129&highlight=

The official part number for MCC verbatims are 94077

Defense, you need to call Verbatim, and tell them the store where you purchased these mixed CMC/MCC Verbatims from. I had a very long conversation with a rep there, and was told "no way never ever would the product mixing ever happen". Someone in a warehouse is screwing up somewhere.

To All,
    Also they informed me that noway nohow do the CMC/Ritek Verbatims have the 2x branding. If you purchased Verbatim DVD-R made by CMC that say 2x on the package call them and report this also. I couldn't, because I've personally never bought any CMC media . At first the CMC/Ritek were marketed as Verbatim Data Life, while the MCC were marketed as Data Life Plus. They changed this ending last year. And now the only difference between the MCC, and OEM is the 2x label on the package.

Forgot the number 1-800-538-8589
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, these are mine:

out of a spindle with this wrapper:

Notide how the disks don't have DataLifePlus on them but the spindle has?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  11. @ Erwing, thanks for posting the diks...although It's tough to tell a difference from those pictures.

@Disturbed, ...the people you called..are full of monkey shit...i'm telling you...they will say anything...there is no question the CMC disks I purchased from Best Buy several months ago said 2x on the packaging. They also say Data Life PLUS..on the disk themselves. I think you can see by Rhegedus' disk as well Verbatim is full of crap. Also, what about the disks in OFFICIAL PACKAGING from Sam's Club,etc with the media id's of RICOH? Just curious if you asked Verbatim about that.

At first the CMC/Ritek were marketed as Verbatim Data Life, while the MCC were marketed as Data Life Plus. They changed this ending last year. And now the only difference between the MCC, and OEM is the 2x label on the package.

I noticed it was very strange IMO that all these DATA LIFE PLUS disks from Verbatim Best Buy was carrying down here were in DATA LIFE PLUS packaging with the disks saying Data Life Plus on the packaging AND the disks...as well as having the 2x on the packaging...but NOW they have the DVD-R disks which say only DATA LIFE on them...so if they ended this last year, then why is my local Best Buy all of a sudden SWITCHING to the DATA LIFE when it was the other way around. Also, the disks look MUCH CHEAPER..they don't have that glossy clear coat on the top...they even look cheaper then the picture Rheghedus posted.

Verbatim is basically full of it..all these posters have posted different media id's with the same result. I got the DVD+R MCC disks back in November and they had issues too..not NEARLY as many as these RIDICULOUS JOKES OF DVD-R media..but 3 out of 15 were bad in every spindle.

Lastly, one thing interesting is that all of my Verbatim DVD-R disks..even the 30 which were purchased from Best Buy months ago which said 2x on the spindle..as well as these disks which didn't say 2x on the spindle..but the disks read as 2x disks and look EXACTLY the same..but have constant problems...

none of these disks have a blue ring in the middle....but either did the MCC branded disk....I think it's obvious that Verbatim will put out anything with any id and it doesn't really matter....their quality sucks and if Verbatim is such an excellent company...they would get their shit straight...I am gonna call those people..just to give them a piece of my mind...especially because the crock of crap they gave you is just a joke..plain and simple.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Notide how the disks don't have DataLifePlus on them but the spindle has?
    Also, notice how the "CMC" BRANDED DISKS HAVE 2X ON THEM as well as the WRAPPER from the Spindle! Again, if this isn't proof in the pudding, then what is? boy can Verbatim screw people..and then try and sound articulate and say THIS CAN'T BE AND THAT CAN'T BE on the phone....sure it can't. Also, I thought it was mentioned that CMC didn't have a right to put this official or certified 2x on the disks or spindles? Yea, that's a crock of crap too, just like everything Verbatim produces, including their crap MCC disks. I'm gonna find my own post from back in November..where I lost 3 or so disks from every damn spindle of VERBATIM DVD+R "MCC" disks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Here's a couple of the posts on those "MCC" DVD+R Verbatim disks.

I posted this back in January.

I still have NOT heard anyone say that the + media can potentially be a problem. I feel that MAYBE THE + "VERBATIM'S" at 2.4x may be a problem. Maybe it isn't the + format itself, especially because this problem has never happened to thxkid with + media, only - media. If burning speed proves to not be a problem, I really feel that there may be a problem with VERBATIM DVD+R's @ 2.4x. What do you think? The reason I say that is because I have about 20 or so VERBATIM DVD-R's, and have tested them ALL, and guess what.....NO PROBLEMS anywhere on the disks. That seems interesting to me. Let me know what you think.
    Notice that at the time I had burned 20 VERBATIM DVD-R's "CMC" without a single problem. But 2-3 of the 15 pack DVD+R VERBATIM disks had some type of freezing or burn issue. I thought at the time it may of been the "+" FORMAT...i've learned more since then and realize it had nothing to do with the format...it had to do with the one thing I did wrong....which was Purchasing ANY Verbatim disks!

I didn't know at the time these disks were "MCC" because I don't believe advdinfo had the ability to read "+R" media....but nicw's DVDINFO does and I checked all of those DVD+R disks I still have..and they are all MCC...no mixed spindles there...just a waste of money...and that's when the spindles were $44.99 for a 15 pack...so I lost out on probably around $27 from the 3 or so spindles of Verbatim DVD+R media I had.

I have many more posts on the VERBATIM DVD+R media which showed the issues I had....but I don't wanna fill several pages on my quotes...it just goes to show that it's Verbatim period...not MCC OR CMC or Ricoh or Ritek...if CMC was that damn bad, then AT LEAST A COUPLE of these Philips disks I have which are CMC would have some type of issues...i'm 27 outta 27 thus far....and hopefully that trend will continue. Although after this I won't ever purchase another CMC disk either.....i'm only sticking with known entities so to speak...TDK, MAXELL...."ACCU"....funny...even in another post I found myself at the time 5 outta 5 with those "CHEAP" ACCU's...but couldn't say the same for the EXPENSIVE "MCC" DVD+R media.

another quote of mine back in January:

@Thorn, that makes sense, I never used Verbatim for CDR either. I always use Imation and have NEVER had a problem. I love imation CDR's and CDRW's. One thing that is for sure though is that NONE, ZERO, ZILCH, of my DVD-R's, both TDK & Verbatim, which were burned at 2x have ANY kind of problems. I basically fast forwarded through all of them and spent hours checking them again this morning. Only a HAND FULL of Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R's have the problem, and I'm really starting to believe from everything that I've read that the problem has nothing to do with the +R format, or Verbatim, and maybe not even the speed, although I will check on that though, but I think the problem has to do with VERBATIM 2.4X DVD+R disks themselves. It doesn't make sense that I could burn a total of 40+ DVD-R's that were Verbatim & TDK, and NOT HAVE ONE COASTER, when I get 2-3 DVD+R's that are bad in a 15 pack spindle. If these ACCU's are no good, they will go back and I will lose 15%, but I will ONLY buy TDK DVD-R's and VERBATIM DVD-R's in the future if that is the case. I am hoping my luck is the same as the people I read who have burned 50 out of 50. We will see though.

Look at that..at the time I was perfect with the Verbatim DVD-R's "CMC" 2x on the spindle...as well as ALL OTHER DVD-R's...but the Verbatim "MCC" DVD+R's had issues....I would of never known it unless I heavily scrutinized each disk.

Another interesting thing is that you can clearly see where I hadn't even tried a single ACCU at the time, but was ready to return those suckers if they weren't good..man, did I end up being wrong about two things. One, it wasn't just Verbatim "DVD+R" DISKS which ended up being CRAP..it was VERBATIM all together! And Two, those ACCU disks weren't good...they were "GREAT!" If the ACCU 4X media were Sony manufacturer ID's....I woulda purchased at least 100 initially....i'm a little skeptial of the LD disks..although they seem to have gotten better over the months.

But I ended up being 150/150 for the SONY ACCU disks which I got for $84 for a 100 pack at the time...MAN..what a STEAL! ...Ink jet printable too....and 44 out of 50 or right around there..for the LD ACCU's....some of the LD ACCU's had issues, but for that price, I'll eat the loss....now, you take that ratio vs the ratio of just the VERBATIM DVD+R's I had issues with...and now just about every DAMN VERBATIM DVD-R whether it be ANY media id....and I don't give a shit what anybody says...the ACCU disks BLOW VERBATIM OUT OF THE WATER....HANDS DOWN....unless someone thinks burning a succesful 2 outta 15 disks it a good ratio...then it's very clear what the real deal is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by defense
    @Disturbed, ...the people you called..are full of monkey shit...i'm telling you...they will say anything...there is no question the CMC disks I purchased from Best Buy several months ago said 2x on the packaging. They also say Data Life PLUS..on the disk themselves. I think you can see by Rhegedus' disk as well Verbatim is full of crap. Also, what about the disks in OFFICIAL PACKAGING from Sam's Club,etc with the media id's of RICOH? Just curious if you asked Verbatim about that.

I agree, I think it's bullcrap that a well known company such as Verbatim would pull stuff like this.

Oh well, there's too many other great brands out there that don't do this bait and switch crap.

I hate to admit it, but I agree with ya' defense, Verbatim will never get another dime of my money.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LOOK AT THE MEDIA INFO REPORT ON MY
    VERBATIM BATCH!!!
    THESE ARE MUCH BETTER THAN THE OTHERS WHY?

Used to rely on Verbatim cause it was TAIYO inside
    YOU ARE WAKING US UP !!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And now we have Taiyo Yuden making Verbatim

Much better than CMC.

But what's next princo? Lead Data, or who ever Verbatim feels like throwing at us?

It would be nice if there was a way a tell who makes these discs for sure just by reading the package. Verbatim tried to blow smoke up my ass about the package, but we know that what they said just wasn't true.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cant tell by how it looks as here's the PIC of the TAIYO YUDEN made verbatim
    Quote Quote  
  18. I've burnt over 200 Verbatims DVDs, combined with 2X DVD-R with media code MCC and Taiyo Yuden and 2.4X DVD+R and 4X DVD+R with medial code MCC and I've never had a coaster and they all play back in my 3 DVD players, as well as my parents/in-laws/brother/sister's DVD players fine. No one has ever complained to me that the disc did not work. I still believe in Verbatim, as long as the media code is MCC. All the Verbatims I buy are made in Singapore, I tend to stay away from the made in Taiwan Verbatims.
    Quote Quote  
  19. CHRIST, Verbatim ALSO HAS TAIYO YUDEN making their disks! What a crock of shit!

@ACURA, I don't doubt you had much success...you have used the MCC disks as well as the Taiyo's..so your success rate SHOULD be much better...but MAN...even the TAIYO's LOOK EXACTLY like the shit CMC and MCC disks...as well as RICOH, RITEK, CMC, MCC, and how many freakin' OTHER DISKS Verbatim shafts us with.

Unreal to say the least....tough to not get pissed when you see the business practices of this huge media giant.

One other thing I want EVERYONE who reads this post to know is that I should of known Verbatim was really crappy when there was a 7$ MAIL IN REBATE on those 15 pack DVD-R's which were THEN $44.99 ....after 8 weeks I called Verbatim and asked where my 7$ check was, they told me the rebate WAS ONLY FOR DVD+R's and NOT DVD-R's...they tried to pull a fast one then!

So I said BULLSHIT..you will get me my $7 ...they said..no..it wasn't for the -R disks...so I said ok...we'll see BIATCH...(very professionally I said BIATCH by the way) ....lol..anyway, I called Best Buy's rebate dept..with my REBATE receipt in hand..they made one call..I had the bozo's name who said I wouldn't get the rebate...to make a long story short..I GOT THE CHECK WITHIN 10 DAYS FROM THAT call to Best Buy.

What does this all mean? It means Verbatim is full of shit..makes me sick, and that's just another reason to stay away from their crappy disks!

@Disturbed...you know you have really good options with other disks...so you're doin' the right thing...screw Verbatim..protest..and maybe one day they'll get their business practices for the customer and not just profit...but even by then..it will be too little, too late for me.
    Quote Quote  
  20. It's the same thing with Verbatim CD-Rs, some are made by CMC, some by Taiyo Yuden and some by Mitsubishi. But with the CD-Rs Verbatim at least uses different names and/or colours for the media (Verbatim Pastel = Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim DataLife = CMC and Verbatim DataLifePlus = Mitsubisihi). I hate that they don't do that with the DVDRs because I want to know what I get before I buy it.

@dcsos, you seem to use an old version of DVDInfo that just reads the first part of the manufacturer ID for DVD-R media. The complete ID for your media should be "TAIYOYUDEN". It would be great if you could add the Taiyo Yuden Verbatim DVD-Rs to the media list too since they are not in the list yet.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Well many companies contract third party companies to make discs for them. It helps keep costs down for them and in turn make the discs less expensive for the customer. I buy whatever CDRs are on sale. I've bought Maxells, TDKs, Sonys, and Fuji Out of all of them only Sony actually makes their own discs. Both Maxells and TDKs were Ritek. Fuji's were Taiyo Yudens. The point is, usually they do not use the cheapest of companies and have some sort of quality control on it. I believe DVD-Rs will follow the same path since it is going mainstream. These big companies should learn to stay away from companies like CMC. Though they might be the cheapest, they also drive customers away. They should use companies like LD(I've never had a coster from them) or Ritek.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One question:

If one takes a look at the media list, we see that the same media code may be used by different companies. For example, DVD-R 2x media code RITEKG03 is produced by Octron, Datasafe/Datawrite, Sansung and CloneDisc.

I presume this means that Ritek supply the disks and they are then re-badged and packaged by the companies.

Is it safe to assume that there is therefore no difference between the quality of disks having the same media code?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by defense
    screw Verbatim..protest..and maybe one day they'll get their business practices for the customer and not just profit...but even by then..it will be too little, too late for me.
    Boycott Verbatim. I refuse to buy their discs anymore. If I wanted to gamble, I'd have gone to Vegas. When I buy discs, I want them to work.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I once got sick after eating at taco bell.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by silvergator
    I once got sick after eating at taco bell.
    NEVER! Taco Bell rule - I only wish we had them in the UK.

Actually, I can see where you're coming from. I've burned 100's of Verbatim -R/+R disks in the past 6 months since I've had my burner and this is the only batch I've had problems with.

I'll still continue to use Verbatim (not spindles, though), but it has opened my eyes the that fact that you can still pay top $ and still get a bum deal. I'll try some RITEK stuff in spindles next, I think.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Taco Cabana. Taco Bueno. Taco Bell. We've got 'em all here.
    Which reminds me, it's closing in on lunch time...
    Yumm... Tacos...
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I definitely agree with boycotting Verbatim....I actually have a much better plan.

Here is what I propose we all do....purchase 100's of those "clear" DVD plastic pieces which are shaped exactly like a DVD disk, but are just clear plastic...I guess to prevent the bottom disk from scratching...

anyway, we get tons of those..then purchase all kinds of Verbatim 4x media...the Taiyo Yuden's or MCC disks, of course.

Get them in 15 pack spindles....take 12 disks....replace them with 12 clear/plastic DVD pieces...and bring the disks back to the store for a refund..of course having the 3 remaining real disks on top of the spindle.

I think if I do this a few hundred times at different retailers...I'll feel better about Verbatim......Verbatim is screwing us...why not ROYALLY SCREW THEM! ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I disagree:

1) It's theft.
    2) If the disks were that bad, why would you want to keep 12 of them?
    3) Some places take your details when you return things.
    4) You might get lucky. But some unscrupulous dealers will probably re-sell the pack - what about the poor sob who buys your return?

If you feel that badly, write a letter to Verbatim and don't buy any more.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  29. rheghedus wrote:

I disagree:

1) It's theft.
    2) If the disks were that bad, why would you want to keep 12 of them?
    3) Some places take your details when you return things.
    4) You might get lucky. But some unscrupulous dealers will probably re-sell the pack - what about the poor sob who buys your return?
    ...lol..nah, theft is what Verbatim is doing to millions of consumers by allowing the crap they produce to somehow meet quality control.

If the disks were that bad you mentioned "I said"...interesting, u said they were just as bad for you.

But that is why I specified getting a hold of those Taiyo Yuden disks...they are obviously better quality..and obviously allow Verbatim less per disk because of that quality. If Verbatim was concerned about the consumers and not just "ROBBING THEM WITHOUT A GUN" then Taiyo would make most of their disks..or at least the Quality Control would be far superior.

Hell, just look at the people on this THREAD ALONE...how much money is everyone out? I believe "bob w" ate the loss on ALL 15 disks being bad...if the numbers are that staggering on this forum, how about across the country...or hell..how about across the country just from that ONE OFFICE DEPOT sale. We all live in different parts of the Country/World, we all use different burning software and have different burners...YET..MOST OF US HAD THE SAME RESULT....waste of time, waste of effort, waste of money.

With that being said...anyone know where I can get a large bulk of those
    clear/plastic DVD's
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just because we got a bum deal, it does not give us the right to defraud the suppliers or the manufacturers. The prices will go up, so we still pick up the bill in the long run.

Yeah, I got burned this time. But 5 disks out of well over a hundred - that's till pretty good. I'll just be a bit more choosy about which pack I go for.

As for the experiences of all the users on this thread or forum, remember that Verbatim got its reputation because it made excellent products - I just hope that the current chapter is just a bad run. The spindle of 2.4x +R with the same media code that caused you problems are, with 13 out of 25 burned, rock solid.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote