VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    This may sound a bit like a newbie question although I'm using ffmpegX for quite some time. Anyway this is the first time I have to join 2 Files. My problem is the following:
    - I have 2 mpg-files that I want to join into one.
    - In ffmpegX it seems to be very simple - So I'm selecting the two files under the tools section and
    - click on "join"
    - ffmpegX says that it finished the files, although I haven't declared any destination where to save the new file
    - thus there is no joined file

So where is the so called "finished file" ?!?

I also tried it with a destination in the "save as" input field but I get the same result: "Finished" but no file.

Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes ffmpegX can't join or work with some files... I don't know what causes this, but I've been having trouble with it as well. But when you want to join 2 files... it will result in 1 file in the same dir as the first selected file. So if it isn't there, than it hasn't worked. The joining does take some time (1-2 maybe 3 minutes) so if it says Finished immediatly you can be certain that it failed How to make it work.. beats me.. hopefully major knows an answer to this 1
    " Military intelligence is a contradiction in term."
    - Groucho Marx
    Quote Quote  
  3. Copy and paste me the path of the two files you're try to join (from the "Browse" fields), this should help me track the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Guest
    Hmm - you were right major4. I had a whitespace in one of the folder names. Should've found that out by myself. Anyway your reply helped me a lot - thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is somewhat weird major never even mentioned white spaces in the path...
    " Military intelligence is a contradiction in term."
    - Groucho Marx
    Quote Quote  
  6. The problem was indeed spaces in the path of files to be joined. This should have been fixed in 0.0.7d.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What about the case where my computer name has a space in it? I can't change this, so does that mean I don't have this function for ever? I am using v. 07d.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The computer name is not included in file paths, so it doesn't matter. However the disk name is, but you can change it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Guest
    Special characters like ()'s in the filename seem to break the join too. I had problems joining until I took out the ()'s in the filenames.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I changed folder names so I have no spaces, and it still doesn't work

Any other characters that would screw it up?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Please post your pathname and terminal output.
    Quote Quote