VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    98 has it's uses, our server runs 98, and longest uptime so far was three months. it only ever goes down when we have a power cut.

i use 2000 on my two main machines. i did try XP on them, and boot times were a lot quicker, but everything just felt too slow. and this machine killed it self in a power cut, XP was totally destroyed. decided to go back to 2000.

I do use XP on an old athlon 650, with only 128 megs of ram. it's usable, but multitasking is a no-no. i sometimes jump online with it, and that's fione, but if i set up an encode (the machines' purpose in life) and then try and go online, it's not pretty!

on an XP2100 i'd reccomend XP i think.
    Quote Quote  
  2. XP without a doubt, go pro is you have the extra £'s
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  3. if you upgrade doa a full format or you can delete a partion that's even better. You C drive should be no smaller then 10gig's. Me some time's will run good. From what I heard some mother board like ME. I my self hate ME> my mother board hat'e ME. Like's 98SE adn love windows 2000
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was a 98 type of guy but, since I've gone to XP... I've never looked back.

Never tried ME but, I haven't herd a lot of good things about it.
    Don't give in to DVD2ONE, that leads to the dark side.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flaninacupboard
    I do use XP on an old athlon 650, with only 128 megs of ram. it's usable, but multitasking is a no-no. i sometimes jump online with it, and that's fione, but if i set up an encode (the machines' purpose in life) and then try and go online, it's not pretty!
    Anything less than 256MB RAM slows XP right down to a crawl.
    --
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spiderman2k1
    if you upgrade doa a full format or you can delete a partion that's even better. You C drive should be no smaller then 10gig's. Me some time's will run good. From what I heard some mother board like ME. I my self hate ME> my mother board hat'e ME. Like's 98SE adn love windows 2000
    Very true, do a full install and format the drive using NTFS. It is better for video capture.
    --
    Will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Marco33
    I was a 98 type of guy but, since I've gone to XP... I've never looked back.

Never tried ME but, I haven't herd a lot of good things about it.
    This is a good way to do it, avoid WinMe as the worse OS known to me.

I still got one computer as Win98 and now almost 5 years old. I don't expect this computer will be here next year.

Upgrade is the way to go, "ZOOM AHEAD" and I don't think many people would want to keep using WinMe as a piece of crap.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by g_shocker182
    I like WinXP over WinME, but XP still has its problems dealing with some situations. For example, yesterday I installed Norton Internet Security while I still had McAfee normal virus scanner.

BAD IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its taken me a day to get my computer operational again because Norton froze upon installation, had to restart, and when I did, McAfee froze EVERY time I tried to log-in to XP. It took a while to get over it but here I am after uninstalling both, still dazed at my experience. THAT won't happen again .

Oh well.....
    That is not an XP problem, that is a pure conflict between 2 antivirus software programs who do not get along together. McAfee should learn to play with others better.
    --
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've been using WinME for two years with almost no problems. It has been more stable on my big machine than Win98SE was...

I'd still like to migrate to Win2K.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    I'd recommend Win2K over XP any day for the average user.
    It may take an extra 20 seconds to boot, but it runs almost all the apps faster....All the comps we get come with XP and we just ghost right over them with Win2k.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Win2k gave me a lot of problems, and Win98 gave me more. I only use WinXP Pro now. It's the best OS microsoft has put out to date in my eyes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    I've been using WinME for two years with almost no problems. It has been more stable on my big machine than Win98SE was...

You're lucky and WinMe was a disaster for me. This really depends on the computer and this may have something to do with it.

I no longer use WinMe and the computer is now upgraded and converted over to Win2k. I recommend Win2k as now trouble free and very much a stable OS.

The only thing I have to update the OS all the time. I will have to upgrade the version of my NIS and NAV before the installation of Win2k SP4 soon.
    Quote Quote