VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a link to an article which sites the NPD Group (research group - UNBIASED) to which units are selling more.

Apparently +R is dominating the home maket (set top burners) while dual format machines are winning on the pc front.

http://www.twice.com/index.asp?layout=story&doc_id=120651&display=breakingNews
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    An IMPORTANT note is that NPD, the group that gathered the data, is a company that specializes in CONSUMER info for RETAIL Point-Of-Sale businesses. That means that most likely, they would not take into account the amount of purchases done in bulk (by professionals and corporations and educational institutions), nor take many internet sales into account. In these areas, the format war landscape would be seen to be very different.
    This all seems to mirror what has been talked about on these forums.

Numbers is not always numbers. Depends on what questions are asked and what choices are allowed for the answers.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. I was just getting ready to post that.

Interesting ready...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Not on all the sites i go on everyone is getting either dual drives or -r drives.
    Someone somewhere seems to be pushing the +r format all the time when its clear most people want -r
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the rep from Meritline is lurking maybe he could give us some insight on with format sells more there. I would guess it is the -r.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    right for example sitting outside Best Buy looking for people with burners and asking which they bought would yeild useless numbers.

It really doesn't matter who wins, but personally I find it all very interesting. I would also be interested to see what Meritline has to say.
    Quote Quote  
  7. First of all, that report doesn't seem to cover *world* sales. Only those in the US (Which not supprisingly is the only market in which DVD+R really is surviving). Also, something to mention is that DVD+R makers started adding dual writing functionality before DVD-R did, indicating the worldwide trend towards DVD-R. This is also supported by Microsofts change in accepting DVD-R within their operating system.

I've spoken with a few people who work in stores and by far most indicate that they sell out of DVD-R supplies *Very* quicky, while most DVD+R items sit on the shelf for days and days. In terms of storing data CDs, I don't know which is more popular, but in regard for video, DVD-R is by far leading the way. In fact, even organized crime (When not using manufacturing grade equipment) use DVD-Rs to make Pirate DVDs.
    Again, the only place which really sells DVD+R disks in force really is the USA. For the rest of the world, everyone uses DVD-R.

Almost like NTSC (USA), PAL (The world).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very interesting. I am a member of the NPD Group and receive their surveys all the time. I have never received one of their surveys asking about DVD recorders. Maybe they only sent the survey out to people who bought Dells, HPs, Apples, and other brand name computers. I built my own computer.
    Quote Quote