VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Apple Computers......

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Best of the Best!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well tgpo, what can I say...................... .................................................. .................................................. ......... They look cool.

SLICK RICK
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Nobody likes a bunch of yackity-yack.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apple=Betamax, M$=VHS

What else is there to say? They were better/faster/earlier. Not true anymore, although you can actually multi-task with OS 10 (try running the benchmark tests in parrallel instead of serially in any other OS if you think Apple multitasks).

As a computer guru, some of the worst viruses I ahd to deal with were on a MAC...insert disk....bam...infected....bam....network infection of all other mac's....I really hate graphic artist :P
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think they are really good. But also expensive. I would go apple if I could afford it. Not just the computer, but also all the expensive software. Not as much freeware as the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The one thing I hate about the Windows is Spy ware software that get's on your Windows with out ever asking you if you want it. So I now use Mozilla for the net and run spy removing software once a week. Apple does not have this problem. Spy ware does not work on Unix or Linux. I think Mac might be better for some people other people PC are better. IF some one does not know computer's well Get a Mac. Spy ware can mess up your PC. And most people do not know how to remove it and all the software that does remove it is free and most people do not even know that it there to download. For Games PC is better. If you want no head ache's get a MAC. IF you want more free software get a PC. dvdshrink may I say more. Also i do real time MPEg 2 capture's SO I will not leave window's there is no real time Mpeg 2 card for MAC so in this way Windows is better. Not better as it's better but has what I want it to do and it's the only OS I can do it on. Some what like PSONE is you really like Rugby and the only Rugby game is on Psone even if you for a Xbox or Ps2 or game cub you wont go buy one until thay have your video game.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DivXExpert
    Not as much freeware as the PC.
    Dude, checkout www.versiontracker.com, tons of freeware. Since we can not prot *nix programs there has been tons of freeware programs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you could build a Mac it would be a lot better and cheaper because you'd have manufacturers competing. But I will not support a monopoly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. To me the apple computer line was like the training wheels on my first bike (metaphorically of course, my *@#$%^& bike didn't come with training wheels so I had to learn one #$@$$$@ bruise at a time), it was fun and easy and I had fun with games like frogger and carmen san diego, spy hunter and whatnot; I was in green screen heaven (apple IIe). Then came the ugly pc, it was intimidating, why with the dos commands and the control it gave you, so daunting, so taboo, so powerful...so sexxxy

Truth is the apple line is great aesthetically; if you don't want to get your hands dirty, its fantastic. Pcs are for tinkerers and those who were willing to live through the dreaded blue screens of death all in the name of customizability.
    Turn your head and cough.
    Quote Quote  
  9. hate em, think they're gay
    Justin
    :agree:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My girlfriend did her PhD thesis on one and loved it to bits, but she's now getting the hang of the PC I built her. I'd love to buy one of the new super-fast ones, but I'd hate to have to buy all my software again - that alone would be nearly a grand!
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  11. Wish there was a "Never used one" The last Apple I used was the Apple IIe back in 1980-something.

As for a Monopoly.. having a Monopoly was Apple's biggest undoing. Where as everyone and their mom could make PC's and flood the market
    Apple castrated themselves by not allowing 'clone.' And limited themselves forever to a minority of the marketplace. Being greedy and keeping a monopoly is what killed them
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ihad an apple IIe back in 1986 or so(can't really remeber, so long ao). It had a massive 64kb of memory - later updated to 128kb- then we got a colour screen for it- WHAT A BEAST!!!. Computing was never the same after that- it was my first and last apple computer!.
    Quote Quote  
  13. They are good machines. I just feel PCs give more bang for the buck. Besides the price its a pretty good general use machines. Enthusiastics probably want to go down the PC line though.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hey TGPO, wheres the never used one option, I cant vote for any other.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Superb graphics handling, better than many PCs. Also more powerful than many PCs. Expensive, yes. But worth it? Maybe. Only if you need it. These are the choice computers of the media industry and graphics industry.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Don't like 'em at all. Very slow compared with a PC. Although as Steve Jobs once said ... "the problem with Microsoft (and therefore PC's) is that they have absolutely no taste!!"
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I knew how to use one I might like it but I doubt I could ever be converted.

The Jehovah's Witnesses tried and failed so I doubt an Apple could convert me !!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Hey TGPO, wheres the never used one option, I cant vote for any other.
    That's what the tgpo option is for.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by tgpo
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Hey TGPO, wheres the never used one option, I cant vote for any other.
    That's what the tgpo option is for.
    OK voted for that.
    Quote Quote  
  20. If you haven't seen it already you should watch a movie called "Pirates of Silicon Valley" Its pretty good about the rise of the two company's and the almost fall of apple or mac whatever they call themselves nowadays. I think there next computer line ought to be called Granny Smith and encased in a green box. I would definetly buy one, because I really like those Apples!

Anthony
    "The man who can make up his mind when proofs are presented to him is looked upon as a bigot, and the man who ignores proofs and the search for truth is looked upon as broad-minded and tolerant."

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by txpharoah
    Superb graphics handling, better than many PCs. Also more powerful than many PCs. Expensive, yes. But worth it? Maybe. Only if you need it. These are the choice computers of the media industry and graphics industry.
    Not entirely true anymore. Ever try running Maya on a MAC? Yuck! Actually, every graphic artist at Lucas Digital has both a MAC and a PC on their desktop. Why? Because some software runs more smoothly on a PC while some is smoother on a MAC. All in all, they're pretty much even in capability now.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I think this should settle the speed arguements.

http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html
    Quote Quote  
  23. Gristle McThornbody, they are absolutley not even compatability wise! u cant do half the things u can on a pc that u can do on a mac! mac is HORRIBLE the mac processor is more efficient, ill give you that, but u cant multitask. on my xp machine i can run 50 programs without it crashing or even slowing up. and there are like no games for mac, the best games are on the pc. there are some macs that can multi task, but they are like twice as expensive as any pc thats better than it, the pc wouldnt even have to be top of the line. macs are not customizable AT ALL. if u want any internal hardware changes made to a mac, u gotta ship it out or take it somewhere to be fixed. they are definatley computers made for children.
    Quote Quote  
  24. hahahaha Never laughed so hard in a long time. also the granny apple . funny too...
    Don't knock on deaths door, ring the doorbell and run, death hates that!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OS X = Unix under the hood
    Windows ... well .. windows? :P

Multitasking on a Mac - last time I checked that little Darwin micro-kernel handles it rather nicely...

Games for the Mac? Checked the shelves lately? Selection is growing bigger and bigger everyday

Macs not Customizable? The newer ones are now supporting alot of the same basic hardware as the flipside...

As far Computers made for children...HA .. while yes the education world has opened it's arms once again to the Apple Computer, try telling some of the high end video production and graphics arts companies that the Mac is a child's machine. In fact, some recent releases, brought to you by a Mac include (but NOT limited to):Full Frontal, Lord of the Rings, Nine Inch Nails Live DVD (authored by Trent Reznor...who LOVES his Macs)

Oh and check the latest MacAddict magazine...excellent article about how The Hulk (big green angry dude) was .. you guessed it, brough to you by the Mac.

Now, I am FAR from being a Mac Zealot. I own one, but also own three Windows PCs. Why do I own a Mac... hard to pass up a sage gumdrop in my opinion. It's just that I can't stand to see people bashing operating systems when as stated by Gristle McThornbody that Macs do what Macs do and Windows does what Windows does.

While the war will always wage on... I say "Whatever the heck works!"
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gristle McThornbody
    Originally Posted by txpharoah
    Not entirely true anymore. Ever try running Maya on a MAC? Yuck! Actually, every graphic artist at Lucas Digital has both a MAC and a PC on their desktop. Why? Because some software runs more smoothly on a PC while some is smoother on a MAC. All in all, they're pretty much even in capability now.
    I wasn't referring to CG, that's the realm of SGI.

I was mainly referring to printed materials, the Internet, and much of what you see on tv for advertisements. (Boris Red, Final Cut, etc used for lots of commercials). That's a majority of what people see on a daily basis, and have no idea it came from a MAC somewhere.

Movies like Star Wars and Matrix only make up a small percentile of the graphics industry. Great graphics, yes, but not representative of the whole. They get their own smaller sub-category.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Aren't Unix/Linux used mainly now for CGI?

Anyway back on topic, I have never really used a new MAC, only the really old ones back at my primary school.
    Quote Quote  
  28. as i ask a friend who ownes a mac....why?

then he explaines and i still ask....why?
    Quote Quote