VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Anime...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Well, since this has risen to the top again, I'll throw out a program note:

Blue Gender starts from episode #1 on Nov 3, 2003, on Cartoon Network. Hopefully it will run right up through to #26 which is where they ended the first box set DVD. This is not the end for season 1, just where they stopped the DVD set Starts at 12:30 am Eastern and 3:30 am Eastern 4 days a week, get your recorders going

I missed the first 10, but have been watching the rest, seems to be pretty good. If the box set wasn't so expensive, I would buy it. But for now, I'll make do with half D1.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by GreyDeath
    Cowboy Bebop Rules!!!

Bow down to Faye Valentine!!! :P

I like it when she scratches me behind the ears...
    Cendyne/Pioneer 105 & 104 with a Dazzle* Hollywood DV-Bridge.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by andkiich
    American companies who do the translations often cast the wrong people for the parts(sound wise) or the people they pick are their just for the money and don't care about getting the voice right. If I can I try and buy all my anime directly from Japan. A lot of the Laserdiscs and DVDs are subbed in english.
    How about them editing the script to make things seem less violent, "We lost 7 Tanks and their crews" becomes "We lost 7 Robot Tanks". Loses the emotional impact...
    Cendyne/Pioneer 105 & 104 with a Dazzle* Hollywood DV-Bridge.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    some are good some are bad, then again it's up to people's opinions. I think the Evangelion dub is great but some people think its terrible...
    Errors suck
    Quote Quote  
  5. Animes are like most other things in life; some are good some are not. Like women, cars, DVD authoring programs, there are those who deliever and those who don't...

I wouldn't have ever considered involving myself with the topic of video editing & stuff if I didn't watch Cowboy Bebop and have seen some AMV's (Animated Movie videos) afterwards. The serial was GREAT, the jazz music was unorthodox, refreshing and incredibly good tasting! after CB I've seen more animes, some I liked, some I didn't like, and some were aboslutly horrid! Don't force me to name any of the latter! I fear serious consequences!

[/img]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Besides, as awkward it may sound, I prefer to watch all animes on jap, though I'm still learning the language (I stick with subs). I've seen CB on german and english (both are not my mother language) and I didn't like the dubbing. For the same reason I've always refused to read Shakespeare in german or Goethe in english! The original either has it or not, dub can NEVER be better - IMHO!
    Quote Quote  
  7. gcutler,
    I know what you mean. A lot of times, the story is changed so dramatically, that the true nature of the story line and the characters are different. I'm going to watch a little bit of Dragonball GT on cartoon network and see how bad they are going to destroy that. Already I've seen a bunch of bad "out of sequence" story telling, and I doubt that they will show all the before Bebe episodes. They were kinda boring.

One of the worst examples of bad voice acting that really got under my craw was/is my favorite anime series Bubblegun Crisis/Crash. Whoever decided to cast those people as the voice actors should be shot. They don't match the personalities at all.

The other thing that urked me was the translation of Kiki's Delivery Service. There are parts where the cat is just sitting there meowing(or. Jap.) and then in the dubed version Phil Hartman is sitting there cracking jokes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    I think we just have to accept that there will always be cockups in dubs, until of course we can hack the net to get the addresses of all the people we hate for making enormous mistakes and go slap them in the face as punishment. The cat in kiki being one of the less troublesome but more visible examples (i'm more put out by how the guy's voice sounds - the original cat was squeaky and, indeed, more cat-like, especially for such a scrawny one! phil just puts me in mind of sabrina, and i dont like people doing that )

for a little bit of redemption, get on down to the store and grab (or get an american friend to grab, and mail) the latest three releases from the same studio - long overdue remasters and dub-ups of Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind and Porco Rosso, and their new (ok, 2002) disney-length feature The Cat Returns (naffly translated title ). A couple of balatant schoolboy mastering errors in Nausicaa will grate, there's excess background chatter added in (and a couple names changed/mispronounced), and not all of the voice actors fit, but otherwise the scripting is almost spot on. Porco is even better than that - but for Fio driving the rather obvious point of her femininity home a little stronger (too strong) than she did in the original, it's great. And it is impossible to fault the dubbing in Cat... there's probably a law against it.

It doesn't hurt that they are all fantastic movies in any case, and have had A1 transfers picture-wise - plus you can of course watch them in the original japanese with literal subs*. $60 well spent by anyones standards (or $40, if you manage to blag one of best buy's 3-for-2 dvd offers)

(* ahem.. ok, you'll have to import the japanese version of The Cat Returns for this, as some nubbin put the Hard Of Hearing dubtitles / close captions in twice by mistake... but the japanese soundtrack's still there, and its such a lighthearted kiddie movie you'd have to be a real anorak to be VERY bothered by this. Like me - as i'm going to rip, re-sub and burn a working copy of mine )
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    And you can't have subs on american TV, as Americans are too lazy to read.
    Is this true, is this an actual policy of the US TV networks, not to broadcast any subbed shows.
    It depends on the movie and the channel. I have yet to see subbed Anime on cartoon network and possibly the same holds true for the Anime Network.
    About half the time Asian film is subbed on the various movie channels. This includes Anime.
    But you do have AZNTV which runs subtitled Asian programing.

To be honest I prefer fan subbed Anime. There seems to be more detailed explanation of obscure phrases, activities and activities.

Doesn't anyone watch Naruto or Bleach? Both are excellent.
    Quote Quote