VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. what are the advantages of a dvd writer with an 8 MB buffer over one with a 2 MB buffer? Would I be better off with the 8 MB? I have an older comp. and the hard drive is slower than the newer ones out. Would this 8 MB buffer be more useful in preventing underrun errors?
    Quote Quote  
  2. YES

For comparison, I had a Pentium233 and had a CDRW with a 2mb Buffer which was 40x and a CDRW with an 8mb Buffer which was 24x. The 8mb Buffer always got a cd in about 5 min while the other one took more like 10 even though it was actually a faster burner. The 40x drive was waiting on the Buffer to fill up most of the time because my computer couldnt send the data that fast.

Your burns will be faster with the bigger buffer, especially on older computers. Also, i have noticed sometimes when the Buffer Underrun technology kicks in and the drive stops burning, sometimes it leave small skips. Its ok for data but for music, these skips are audible.

These are CD-RW drives i am talking about and I assume the same reasoning applies to DVD-RW drives. If i am wrong, correct me.
    Quote Quote  
  3. With Buffer underrun protection, 2mb or 8mb don't make any difference...

btw the minimum for a DVD burner is P3 450Mhz.
    Quote Quote