FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Thread
  1. Hi DJRumpy,

I tried again as you told me and this time has only one error:

EVALUATE: UNRECOGNIZED EXCEPTION!
    (E:\au3\ob.AVS, line 3 )

I checked the AVS, line 3 in the script is
    MPEG2Source("E:\au3\pro.d2v")

I thought maybe the problem is at this .d2v file, so I uninstalled d2v v1.76, and tried v 1.77. Still got the same error.

What do you think?

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should stick with version 1.76 of DVD2AVI. Remember that you have to generate your D2V file using version 1.76 of DVD2AVI. If you've created the D2V file with version 1.77, your going to have to re-save the D2V file using 1.76. I definately suspect something is wrong with it.

Your not trying to view, or edit the D2V file directly are you (in something like notpad, or some text editor)?

It sounds like your DLL version problems are fixed at least. Your making progress!
    Impossible to see the future is. The Dark Side clouds everything...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

I'd like to convert a couple of 4x3 DVD 9 PAL dvds to NTSC.

I want to keep the entire DVD structure, not just the main title as they are not movie DVD's but instead soccer DVDs about a player called Zidane ......

It is very important that I keep the original menus and all titles intact.

Unfortunately this is the one thing that the transcoders like DVDShrink or DVD2One cannot do ......

Is there a straight forward way to acheive this ?

Thanks.
    Da MoovyGuy
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just re-installed v.1.76 and recreated the project file but still got "unrecognized exception" E:\au3\ob.AVS, line 3"

No, I didn't try to view or edit this d2v file at all.

I open the AVS file as VIDEO SOURCE in TMPGEnc, is it correct?
    Ah, one thing, when creating the d2v, I loaded only VTS_xx .VOB files, except VIDEO_TS.VOB, was it wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found two instances for this error in the AVISynth FAQ. The first we've already convered, with the exception of the version your using for MPEG2DEC3.DLL. Do you know what version your using?

The second question listed below doesn't seem to be as likely a candidate, but would apply to a source file that contains subtitles.

Q2.7: I get an unrecognized exception error trying to load an avs file with VirtualDub, using dvd2avi v1.77.3 ?

A: .d2v created with dvd2avi v1.77.3 is NOT compatible with mpeg2dec.dll! Use v1.76 instead. If you still want to use v1.77.3, make sure that you have AviSynth v2.5 installed and mpeg2dec3.dll v1.07 (or a more recent version).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Q2.12: I get an unrecognized exception in the line I use DirectShowSource?

A: Have you got VobSub installed? Have a look at this thread. Upgrade to VobSub v2.20 or higher. If someone has an explanation, please post it in the thread.
    Quote Quote  
  6. MPEG2DEC3.DLL. Do you know what version your using?

====== 1.10

The second question listed below doesn't seem to be as likely a candidate, but would apply to a source file that contains subtitles.

=====I used DVD SHRINK v3.0 beta 5 to rip the movie, it keeps everything, menu, subtitle. Could be a problem?

Q2.7: I get an unrecognized exception error trying to load an avs file with VirtualDub, using dvd2avi v1.77.3 ?

A: .d2v created with dvd2avi v1.77.3 is NOT compatible with mpeg2dec.dll! Use v1.76 instead. If you still want to use v1.77.3, make sure that you have AviSynth v2.5 installed and mpeg2dec3.dll v1.07 (or a more recent version).

=====I used V1.76 with mpeg2dec.dll
    I just tried V1.77.3 with mpeg2dec3.ll v1.09, but still does not work. Still get the same error.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Q2.12: I get an unrecognized exception in the line I use DirectShowSource?

A: Have you got VobSub installed? Have a look at this thread. Upgrade to VobSub v2.20 or higher. If someone has an explanation, please post it in the thread.[/quote]

=====I installed Gordian Knot before, which inluded a VOBSUB , but I uinstalled all Gordian Knot package because it did not work with Avisynth2.5.

This really drives me nuts. Thank you so much for your patient and help.
    I guess this conversion Pal-NTSC does not work for everyone??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Typically, most people do not have a problem with AVISynth, or DVD2AVI. A few more questions:

You didn't move your video source files to a different folder, after creating the D2V file did you? The file must remain in the same folder, with the same name, once you create the D2V file.

Does AVISynth work at all? Can you create a script with a single command like: Version()
    It should play the version information when dropped onto media player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DJRumpy

You didn't move your video source files to a different folder, after creating the D2V file did you?

=========No

The file must remain in the same folder, with the same name, once you create the D2V file.

======What do you mean the same name? I named the D2V file with any name EX: project.d2v . Was it an issue?

Does AVISynth work at all? Can you create a script with a single command like: Version()
    It should play the version information when dropped onto media player.

===== I created a script on Desktop. Open with Window Media player got Error:<< Can not find the file, make sure path is correct, or computer which stored the file is offline""

Q: So the computer need to be connected to the internet=Online in order to play this file?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ======What do you mean the same name? I named the D2V file with any name EX: project.d2v . Was it an issue?
    No. I mean you only need to be sure that once you create the D2V file (you can call it anything you like), that you do not rename it or move it to another folder. The filename you gave it when you created it should remain the same.

===== I created a script on Desktop. Open with Window Media player got Error:<< Can not find the file, make sure path is correct, or computer which stored the file is offline""

Q: So the computer need to be connected to the internet=Online in order to play this file?
    Try just dragging and dropping the AVS script onto Windows Media Player. It should play just like an AVI (you don't need an internet connection). Your script should have only one like, and it should look like this:

Version()

Note that there is no space between the parens (). You may still have something wrong with your AVSynth install. You might try uninstalling it altogether, and reinstalling. During the re-install, you should be asked to associate your AVS scripts with Media Player. Answer yes to that. Make sure you have the latest version (2.5.2). You can get it here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/avisynth2/AviSynth_252.exe?download
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a lot of PAL DVD I bought abroad but can't view on my NTSC TV and DVD Player...so I tried the Standradrs Conversion on the (Cheap)
    http://www.geocities.com/xesdeeni2001/StandardsConversion/

It works GREAT. You have to admit that it is not very complicated and really cheap and the results are extremely good.

I advise you 2 things that are not in the listed in the tutorial:

1- For movies that are 16/9 and 4/3 compliant, if you want to keep the 16/9 aspect ratio (with blac stipes bottom and top) you must do two things. First, in TMPGEnc click on the "Settings" button, go to the "Advanced" tab and in "Source Aspect Ratio" select 16/9 - 625 Lines (PAL)". Now click on the "video" tab and in the "Aspect Ration" select 16/9 Display.

2- You might want to use Bitrate View to calcualte the Bitrate so that your movie fits on 4.7GB disc.

Also.....I just tried one PAL DVD, when played back their is jittering effect when the camera pans. I assume this is due to the fact that it is progressive ????? If yes, I will try the method outlined below. My question:

With what tool or procedure can you check in a PAL DVD is interlaced or Progressive ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guiz
    Also.....I just tried one PAL DVD, when played back their is jittering effect when the camera pans. I assume this is due to the fact that it is progressive ????? If yes, I will try the method outlined below. My question:

With what tool or procedure can you check in a PAL DVD is interlaced or Progressive ?
    In my experience the jitter effect happens when you take an INTERLACED PAL source and attempt to convert to PROGRESSIVE 23.976fps NTSC with 3:2 pulldown.

In my opinion you are better off converting INTERLACED PAL using Xesdeeni's method which uses the AviSynth script which converts it to 29.970fps NTSC.

As for how to tell ... you basically have to eyeball it. If you have GORDIAN KNOT you can load the D2V project file directly into it and then look at the video in slow-mo and frame-by-frame. You can also use VirtualDub to do this but you have to create a simple AviSynth script to load the D2V into VirtualDub. In that case all you need to do is load your MPEG2DEC.DLL file (or MPEG2DEC3.DLL for AviSynth 2.5x) and the line that loads your D2V file. Then open the AVS script in VirtualDub.

If it is INTERLACED then you will see "lines" running through the image and/or blurring motion. Best to check a scene with motion like someone moving from one side of the screen to another etc.

PROGRESSIVE will look NORMAL ... by that I mean each frame will look like a nice crisp picture with no "lines" or blurry/double images etc.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    Remember that DVD2AVI will tell you if your DVD source is INTERLACED or PROGRESSIVE but you can't trust it with PAL sources. It seems to ALMOST ALWAYS say a PAL source is INTERLACED even when it really is PROGRESSIVE.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  12. FulciLives...thanks for your quick reply (gosh, Fulci gave me so many nightmares when I was a kid !)

I did 4 DVDs already using the method from Xesdeeni's..line by line.
    All DVDs look awesome but The 4th DVD has a jittering effect when playbacked on my TV. Steady shots are Ok, but camera panning is a nightmare...it seems that the frames are jumping...very ugly.

I didn't change anything in the "Xesdeeni" steps...except as I mentionned in my previous post, the 16/9 ratio input and output (cause I hate 4:3). But this did not affect the previous DVDs.

I checked in DVD2AVI and it says interlaced.

What's wrong ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guiz
    FulciLives...thanks for your quick reply (gosh, Fulci gave me so many nightmares when I was a kid !)

I did 4 DVDs already using the method from Xesdeeni's..line by line.
    All DVDs look awesome but The 4th DVD has a jittering effect when playbacked on my TV. Steady shots are Ok, but camera panning is a nightmare...it seems that the frames are jumping...very ugly.

I didn't change anything in the "Xesdeeni" steps...except as I mentionned in my previous post, the 16/9 ratio input and output (cause I hate 4:3). But this did not affect the previous DVDs.

I checked in DVD2AVI and it says interlaced.

What's wrong ?
    Is this the AviSynth script you are using?

Code:
          LoadPlugin("MPEG2DEC.dll")
          LoadPlugin("SmoothDeinterlacer.dll")
          MPEG2Source("DRIVE:\PATH\VTS_xx_x.d2v")
          SmoothDeinterlace(doublerate=true)
          LanczosResize(720,480)
          ChangeFPS(59.94) # or ConvertFPS(59.94)
          SeparateFields()
          SelectEvery(4,1,2)
          Weave()
          ConvertToRGB()
    If that is what you are using then I don't know what is causing the jittering effect. I mean is it subtle or very noticeable?

Also is the original PAL DVD 16x9 or 4:3 because you should only select your source as 16x9 if it really IS that way. Also you should only pick 16x9 output if your have a 16x9 source.

Otherwise I'm not sure what to tell ya

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  14. yes it is the script ! I will try to re-encode again in case I inadvertly missed something....thanks anyhow.
    Quote Quote  
  15. You may still have something wrong with your AVSynth install. You might try uninstalling it altogether, and reinstalling. During the re-install, you should be asked to associate your AVS scripts with Media Player. Answer yes to that. Make sure you have the latest version (2.5.2). You can get it here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/avisynth2/AviSynth_252.exe?download
    Hi DJRumpy,

I reinstalled the Avi version you gave me above, this time it works fine. I made a test script and it ran perfectly. In sum up, I now have dvd2v 1.76, AVi 2.52, MPEG2DEC.dll , SmoothDeinterlacer.dll , TMPGEnc 2.521

My AVS file:

LoadPlugin("MPEG2DEC.dll")
    LoadPlugin("SmoothDeinterlacer.dll")
    MPEG2Source("E:\au3\project.d2v")
    SmoothDeinterlace(doublerate=true)
    LanczosResize(720,480)
    ChangeFPS(59.94) # or ConvertFPS(59.94)
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,1,2)
    Weave()
    ConvertToRGB()

Ok, now the only error is:

EVALUATE: UNRECOGNIZED EXCEPTION!
    (E:\au3\ob.AVS, line 3 )

We have tried almost everything, what else do you think?
    Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should be using MPEG2DEC3.DLL, not MPEG2DEC.DLL.

You can get it here: http://nic.dnsalias.com/MPEG2Dec3v110.zip

Make sure you update your script to point to the correct DLL, and remove the old one. If you place it in your Plugins directory, you don't need the LOADPLUGIN statement.

You should also use DECOMB.DLL rather than trying to inverse telecine via the AVISynth commands. They simply yank fields without regard to which should be pulled. You should use an adaptive IVTC filter like DECOMB instead. I would'n't mess with this though, until you get your scripts working.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by DJRumpy
    You should be using MPEG2DEC3.DLL, not MPEG2DEC.DLL.

You can get it here: http://nic.dnsalias.com/MPEG2Dec3v110.zip

Make sure you update your script to point to the correct DLL, and remove the old one. If you place it in your Plugins directory, you don't need the LOADPLUGIN statement.

You should also use DECOMB.DLL rather than trying to inverse telecine via the AVISynth commands. They simply yank fields without regard to which should be pulled. You should use an adaptive IVTC filter like DECOMB instead. I would'n't mess with this though, until you get your scripts working.

Yes, I tried MPEG2Dec3.dll above, still get the same error" Urecognized Exception, ..line 3". It's really strange.
    Could you please tell me how to use DECOMB.DLL ?

Thanks so much always,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have no other ideas. You might try contacting the AVISynth website to see if they can shed any light.

As for the decomb instructions, it comes with an HTML instruction manual. Just read the help file. It's pretty straightfoward, with most of the options being truely 'optional'. Try the following for a standard telecined NTSC source:

Telecide(guide=1)
    Decimate(cycle=5)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many people are having trouble using BeSweet and the BeSweet GUI and/or The AC3Machine front ends.

So I am adding this to this thread since I refer many people to this thread for PAL to NTSC conversions.

So if you need some advice on this topic please take a look at this thread:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=847405

Good Luck

Quote Quote