VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm using a Sigma DVR and did a long encode of a TV show because I wouldn't be home to capture it - my idea was to let it run, then simply edit the part I wanted and burn to DVD-R.

However the DVR recorded not just one MPEG file, but stopped at 4.1G for each. None will load propely into TMPGEnc, but I can play them using RealMagic's "play list" and playing it - is there a way to import these files into TMPGEnc or Vitec Video Clip Pro to edit them as regular MPEG files?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try to load them into Virtual Dub MPEG-2 mod and try to frameserve to TMPGEnc?
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry if I wasn't clear before, I did try loading them into VD, but only the first file will play properly. Here's what I got when I recorded everything:

File.RMP 1 KB RealMagic Playlist
    File.MPG 4,193,280 KB MPEG File
    File0001.MPG 4,193,280 KB MPEG File
    File0002.MPG 4,193,280 KB MPEG File
    File0003.MPG 4,193,280 KB MPEG File
    File0004.MPG 470,816 KB MPEG File

The first file (file.MPG) loads and plays fine in VD and any other editor. But if I try to load the other files into TMPGEnc, VD, or any other editor, I get some error message. With VD it's "Error Decoding Audio Frame 1: Incomplete Frame", which leads me to think that the playlist somehow is merging the end of one file with the beginning of another in some bizarre manner. I tried making VD supress errors on the audio but then all I get is noise.

Any ideas as to how I can bang on this and somehow extract a valid (editable) MPEG stream?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I remember correctly, you need to run it through the Vitec editor that came with the DVR. And then you have to give your first child to sigma in order to make it work after the file is done churning. Seems that sigma uses a "special" format to their mpeg so that you be screwed. You could also try to demux the files with TMPGEnc tools, then re mux as something that will work. Short story is I'm glad I was able to return that card for refund. Made good video when it wanted to, but it didn't like to do it for more than a few minutes at a time. Now I use DV, no hassles there. Works every time without flaw.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Unfortunately Vitec won't take the files other than the first, either (illegal MPEG file). This is both the cheaper or the higher end frame accurate version.

Other than that the Sigma card has performed 100% flawlessly and I've authored hundreds of DVDs with it, zero defects. This has been the only time I did a 10 hour encode
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi samlowry,
    I have my DVR card at the factory again, 3rd time. I had it over 2 yrs and NEVER HAD IT WORK. I was wondering if you could give me some info on your system since you have it working? Like cpu,motherboard,etc..

Thanks
    Steve
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hey Steve,

Yeah never a single glitch!

It's a Pentium III/850, 256MB, ATi Rage 128 Video, Abit BE6-II RAID MB w/ 2 WD 80G ATA-100 drives running RAID 0. Win 2k SP2. Sony 500AX DVD-R (Win2k does NOT like my Pioneer A03).

A little outdated now, but a screaming machine when I bought it! I keep thinking of upgrading (a dual P4 sounds sweet!) but then I consider this one works with bulletproof reliability!

Sam
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the info Sam. I had this on a old Pentium classic, PROBLEMS, on a Asus A7V333 with a Athlon XP1900+, PROBLEMS, sent in the first board for audio problems, the second board for a upgrade for the Asus board, NEVER WORKED, well it's back to them again,now it won't go into preview mode on either Mpeg 1 or 2. They got the board Thursday and still no email. I guess I have to call tomorrow. Well glad to hear you have a good ond . I went to there website and it's no longer made. With problems like mine I could see why. And thanks again.

Steve
    Quote Quote