VideoHelp Forum

Poll: My Computer...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I want a new one. It's kinda showing its age now.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I Wanna new one, there is always something better.
    In the words of Wierd Al:
    "My new computer has got the clocks it rocks, but it was obselete before I opened the box. You say you've had your desktop for over a week throw that junk away man it's an antique. Your laptop is a month old well that's great if you could use a nice heavy paperweight"
    Quote Quote  
  3. I want a new one.
    My currnent system is only a 1.8Ghz P4!
    Just what is this reality thing anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Jus upgraded My system to P4 2.53 / 1 GB RAM / 240 GB HD (40 + 80 + 120 (8mb ) WD) from p4 1.3 512 40 GB + 80 GB
    Baskaran Swamiappan
    Englewood,CO
    baskis@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Definately want a new one. I want one of the new P4 2.6 w/ 800fsb . Do a little overclocking to 3.0ghz. But it will be at least a year b/4 I upgrade and by that time I'll want something else
    Quote Quote  
  6. I wish I could have placed two votes.

I am addicted to it, but I want a new one!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My Pc is less than 16 months old, and I am already looking to upgrade it again. I might just wait until Blue-Ray comes out.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always want another new machine. I am running a dozen machines and laptops and I am always upgrading, My vote is a no brainier I AM ADDICTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Completely!!!!

Dd
    (;-{> Dd
    Strength and Honor
    www.dvd9to5.com
    www.dvd9to5.com/forum/
    "For every moment of truth there's confusion in life"
    Black Sabbath/Ronnie James Dio
    Quote Quote  
  9. i would vote for all of them,except 'Is Brand New!' and 'Only Work Related'

i have 1600mhz amd with 512mb memory.i need twice the speed and 2 or 3 times the ram.my computer pisses me off sometimes
    then i go over to someones house to help them with their 233mhz comuter and then i'm glad what i have,but i'm still going to upgrade
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by i_am_dave
    I want a new one.
    My currnent system is only a 1.8Ghz P4!
    i got a 667mHz p3.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh hell... i could of chose a whole bunch of those
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My new m/b and processor combination is only about 2 mths old and i love it, but wish I had thought things through a bit longer with the m/b. It only supports sd-ram (i thought it would support ddr-ram as well, but i was wrong), and it is not really well featured. But the AMD XP2100+ Processor rocks (and would fry my eggs in th morning if i could put the frypan over it!).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have an XP 2200 and a PIII 1ghz...both are in need of upgrades if you ask me... the newegg shopping cart is willing, but the wallet is weak.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mine's a 450mhz PPC......kinda wanting something faster. IBM 970 perhaps?
    Quote Quote  
  15. mine is an amd athlon 1800 Xp with 512mb of ram and one 10GB hard disk and another 120GB with a sonic explosion sound card and ge-force 2 graphics card (32mb) and DV-2800 MPEG 1 and 2 capture card with an ADSL router. internet 24/7 and network gaming with fast downloads oh yea! ...

...now where can i go for upgrades?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mine is a P4 1.7 ghz I put together 18 months ago and has been fast enough for everything I have done with it, except internet It's not any faster than My old P233 on the internet, A BLAZING 28K connection which no Computer ugrade will help.

If only my telephone company would ugrade their connection speed to just get 56k would be improvement I am looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    It's a bit old now, in modern day PC terms anyway and starting to play up a little. I think it's either down to an overloaded PSU or a fan that's starting to melt from the strain of gigabytes dumbass CPU socket positioning... right underneath that selfsame PSU so the air circulation is rubbish. Been hearing it spin faster and slower, watching the volts drop a little as it goes up to 6300rpm and the temp dips a little (almost to where it was a few months ago), and the rpms then drop to 5800rpm to compensate and the temp rises a little bit more, whereupon the volts are high enough for it to speed up again........ and when the chip actually does any work other than general windowsing, it goes slowly up and up until it hits the built-in safety cutoff temp (about 70C.. real low) and the system resets and hangs.

Argh. Of all the things to go wrong... having a little trouble finding replacement fans that'll fit a 600-1300mhz socket A board design now (if thats the fault - it is rather noisy). Everything's just so big these days.
    The tried and tested method of leaving the case cover off works though

More speed would be nice, say about 4ghz... but it does the trick and could be worse. Like I lend a friend a film they can supposedly play on their PC, only for me to discover later what looked like a fairly new packard bell is actually about 266mhz and just never got dirty.. so vcd conversions have to happen instead. At least I can play most films... max-rez Xvids with AC3 are a bit of a struggle tho. Need that magic 4-figure mhz rating.
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I love it, I hate it, and I am so very addicted to it.

-D
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Conquest10
    i got a 667mHz p3.
    I feel your pain. I'm running a 650 mhz p3.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by seinman
    Originally Posted by Conquest10
    i got a 667mHz p3.
    I feel your pain. I'm running a 650 mhz p3.
    I am running a 400 mhz Celeron (actually that is sad )

Oh well, hopefully by July I will have a new one.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not quite addicted to my computers (five of them.) The most powerfull one being listed in my profile. I am addicted to the discussion groups, that the computers give me access to. The computer that I actually spend the most time in front of includes a Duron 800mhz CPU @ 1000mhz, ATI Rage Fury Pro video, 384meg PC133 SDRam and two 40gig Western Digital hard drives. Two other systems I have usually are turned on for longer periods of time than the one with the Duron processor, but they are ripping DVDs and converting TV shows to XSVCD format.,
    Quote Quote  
  22. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    wow.... this new 400w PSU has fixed a multitude of woes.... the fan doesnt buzz any more and has stayed at max speed... the temp is saying in the mid fifties.. the hard disc isnt beeping, clicking and resetting... and no more random resets, VXD errors, etc. theres life in the old dog yet.

wish i could figure out what all those new connectors (there's at least 3 that are a very puzzling shape) are for though

now anyone want a second hand, slightly overworked 300W PSU? £12 plus shipping, cant say fairer than that.
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think the power supply would fit in my computer:

Note: This isn't my actually computer setup, this is only to show what my computer looks like.
    Quote Quote  
  24. i hate my computer now. everytime i run a program or game that uses a lot of memory and cpu (including ripping dvd's) a blue screen comes up for a split second then it resets itself. . could be something that needs to be set correctly in the BIOS .
    Quote Quote  
  25. mines ok

bit slow but lots of HD space

2-180 gig HDS
    1-2.0 ghz prossessor
    1024 rd ram
    ao5 burner
    samsung dvd drive
    geforce 3 ti 550(eww)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You missed a poll option...

My computer...

..is just a computer, what's all the fuss?

Will Hay
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    sysrq.. read what i put again.. that's like exactly the problems i was having with my PSU. try swapping your power supply with a friend's (particularly if theirs is higher rated) and seeing if the problem goes away... the power requirement (or system requirement if you will!) increases as the CPU has to work harder and more memory is used / disc thrashing occurs.

tgpo that looks pretty sweet.... but... all the same... it's a Mac

(yeah guess who just discovered the extra smileys )
    Quote Quote