VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

Basically, I am looking for a program that can edit VOB files frame-by-frame created on DVD-RW by my Philips set-top DVD recorder, so that I can then re-write the edited DVD.

I seem to be struggling in finding a program that can actually import VOB files and export them in this way. Can anyone help please?

TIA

Dave
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mpg2vcr + DVDMF2
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If these files are actual DVD-Video compliant VOB files, there are a number of tools to demux into MPG2 video and the audio streams (see tools section LEFT <-- ). If you go that way, at some point you would have to deal with audio sync issues. The only app I know of off the top of my head that can deal directly with VOBs for editing is made by PixelTools and it isn't cheap.
    Also, it's very likely that you would not be able to edit on the frame-by-frame level, most MPG editors edit on the GOP level. Those other apps that may be able to import VOB as video (e.g. Premiere) would allow you to edit at frame level, but on export would completely re-encode the whole program!!!

It could be that the Phillips is really recording in DVD-VR mode, which allows greater editing features on the deck, but it'll be MUCH harder to find computer editing apps that accept this filetype (usually .VRO).

Wait a minute... If you've got a Phillips, isn't your disc a DVD+R/W?

HTH,
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. It is a DVD+R/W Picky!

Cheers for your replies guys.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Can't find DVDMF2 by the way
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think what is meant is: Ulead DVD MovieFactory v2.

'Can't verify about the VOB editing for it, though

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have looked into this in a big way!

The best program to edit vob files is mpeg2vcr for definite. You can edit it and save it as an mpeg file without having to re-encode.

You can then use DVD Movie Factory to author menus etc and then burn.

I always extract the audio after using mpeg2vcr with dvd2avi. Then replace the audio in DVDMF2 with that wav file.

Hope this helps

Andy
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by stokesd3
    Hi all,

Basically, I am looking for a program that can edit VOB files frame-by-frame created on DVD-RW by my Philips set-top DVD recorder, so that I can then re-write the edited DVD.

I seem to be struggling in finding a program that can actually import VOB files and export them in this way. Can anyone help please?

TIA

Dave
    I do exactly this with my Philips set top DVD Recorder but mine is DVD+RW You can drag and drop the files straight from the disk onto the hard drive.

I then found a program called Chopper XP which chops up the VOB file for you. You watch your VOB first on a player (Power DVD) and write down the Start and End times of each part. You then save out each part and its best to call them VTS_01_1.VOB and then VTS_01_2.VOB etc.

Then you load IFOedit and create an IFO. Choose the first file and off you go.

Load all the files into your burning software and thats it.
    Quote Quote