VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hope all bug will be fixed, and then the layer break remove feature
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The author of DVD Shrink has been very clear that his program will never go commercial. What is it about this program you link to that leads you to believe that it is an enhanced version of DVD Shrink?

I hope this is not, yet again, another collection of freeware tools aimed at the naive consumer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    adam -

my thoughts exactly... especially considering the lack of any other company info on the site, or any other products from this company...

<homer> mmmmmmm..... scams....... </homer>
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
  4. I read on dvdshrink official forum (dvd digest) that dvdshrink became dvd backupstudio, a commercial program, developed by original dvdshrink author.

So I hope this will happen soon.

(edit) http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=165c79fa47fce8e1990df38ca7b67f0e&threadid=5071...0&pagenumber=4
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It will be interesting to see what the courts do to someone SELLING software that can decrypt and copy DVDs.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  6. DVD DECRYPTOR does this already along with other programms
    and it seems to be ok so what is the difference
    apart from it being free
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One can not be sued for "ill gotten gains" if there are not gains to be had!
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or to put it another way: Decryptor and Smartripper are both free, so what would you sue the creators for?

DVD Shrink has been free up to now, and it includes the ability to "decrypt" encrypted DVD's, just like the two programs above. I would expect not only lawsuits, but legal problems galore.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In other words, it'll be for sale for a very short time. Until the "author" figures out what he just stepped into.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Unless 321Studios win its suit against the studios...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Gil T Pleasure
    Unless 321Studios win its suit against the studios...
    Unlikely. The judge in the case has already "tipped" her hand in favor of the studios, in terms of what she has requested and her preliminary findings. I strongly suspect we'll see an injunction before the end of the year (obviously appeals process can take quite a bit longer, but I don't think the program will be available during that time).

Anyone wanting to have tools to backup their DVDs ought to gather ye acorns while ye may...
    "Like a knife, he cuts through life, like every day's his last" -- Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Exactly. Make sure you all have extensive backup files of every DVD duping software you come accross. Even if 321 wins. How much do you think it will cost them in legal fees? I doubt if every software company that produces such a product can afford that kind of cash outlay or hassle.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Theres also a big difference between the two programs: One decrypts and the other dosn't.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adam
    The author of DVD Shrink has been very clear that his program will never go commercial. What is it about this program you link to that leads you to believe that it is an enhanced version of DVD Shrink?

I hope this is not, yet again, another collection of freeware tools aimed at the naive consumer.
    As you can see here ( http://www.dvdcopydecrypter.com/ ) someone else apparently just stole his program, hacked it with a new title and now tries to sell it. So he got annoyed, stopped development of DVDShrink(in its current form anyway) and started on "DVD Backup Studio" - it will retain some of the internals, like the encoding engine, but the interface will be different. And apparently he will go to some lengths to prevent people from abusing his code. And apparently he'd like a few bucks for his efford. Allegedly he hopes to be ready with a first release in June. (doom9)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That really sucks for the DVD Shrink Author. He definitely should launch a lawsuit, against those pricks. I don't blame him at all for being annoyed and seeking some sort of restitution.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROBERT BLACK
    That really sucks for the DVD Shrink Author. He definitely should launch a lawsuit, against those pricks. I don't blame him at all for being annoyed and seeking some sort of restitution.
    The courts might view that like the doofus who called the police because someone stole his weed.

Oh, also, I guess I was mistaken when I said one decrypts and the other dosn't. I guess it's been a while since I used DVDXCopy.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He could probably justify it the same way 321 does. It's for people who just want to back up the copies they already own. Okay,I know,hard to swallow. But it is the guy's hard work, we're talking about here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Actually, 321's defense is more complicated than that. Because they turn around and put idenity codes on the copied DVD (so if it shows up elsewhere it can be traced back) they argue (among other things) they are actually *protecting* DVDs from pirates.

Regardless of the argument, it doesn't appear as if 321 will win the countersuit (remember, the original suit was *brought* by 321 in order to determine they had the right to market their product. It's actually the countersuit that's being heard here, and already it's going very badly against them). I repeat what I said earlier: if you are interested in *any* of these products, freeware or not, now is the time to get them. There's no doubt in my mind they will not be available by next year.
    "Like a knife, he cuts through life, like every day's his last" -- Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Quote Quote