VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How do I take an avi (DivX, 3ivX, or XviD) files and convert it to mpeg? I've tried using ffmpeg but it fickin takes FOREVER. Like, after an hour its only at 100 megs or processing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It very well may take fickin forever
    encoding is dependent on your comptuer speed. It may range anywhere from hour upon hour to a few hours (4 or so)

how long are you experiencing? Is your output working? are you doing avi to mpeg??

you can do .avi to mpeg also with quicktime pro, after you doctor the .avi.

try that

also mpeg1 or mpeg2???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He's on a Duel 700mghz, even though I've never heard of this speed on an Apple computer, so encoding time is about as fast as you're gonna get. The conversions of these types take time, and ffmpegX is probably the best/fastest program you're gonna find. You'll just have to face the fact that sometimes you have to wait for results.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Man, why is it sooo hard to convert a file on a mac? All I wanna do is put 5 movies on a DVD-R. They all are DivX's but in order to get .vob's I have to convert them to .mpeg's and.....ah, man. I really wish I had a PC or a faster mac to run VPC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Keep pluggin' away at it prophet. You'll get it. It just takes time to learn the tools. This Board has been an invaluable resource for me. Only after pouring through post after post, using the handy keyword search engine, was I able to learn the information I needed. The bright side of course is that most, if not all, the answers you also need, lie right here & are only a quick search away. As far as PC's are concerned, you sound as though you might be a recent switcher, maybe questioning your recent choice. If this is in fact the case, for what it's worth, I believe that you not only made the right choice, but you in fact made it at best possible of times. Not to elaborate, but things are going to get very bad for microsoft users in the next few years to come. I personally have a Mac & a PC, as each have their particular strong points, however if the day ever came where I had to choose between them, the PC would be on the curb. I'm already starting to find myself booting it up in linux more so than windows.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Keep pluggin' away at it prophet. You'll get it. It just takes time to learn the tools. This Board has been an invaluable resource for me. Only after pouring through post after post, using the handy keyword search engine, was I able to learn the information I needed. The bright side of course is that most, if not all, the answers you also need, lie right here & are only a quick search away. As far as PC's are concerned, you sound as though you might be a recent switcher, maybe questioning your recent choice. If this is in fact the case, for what it's worth, I believe that you not only made the right choice, but you in fact made it at best possible of times. Not to elaborate, but things are going to get very bad for microsoft users in the next few years to come. I personally have a Mac & a PC, as each have their particular strong points, however if the day ever came where I had to choose between them, the PC would be on the curb. I'm already starting to find myself booting it up in linux more so than windows.
    Lol, nah, I've been a Mac user for, oh, about 5 years now. I started using one in the 5th grade and am in the 10th. Anywho, I know my Mac and I know a PC (as I have also used one for, oh, 5 years...) and I know which one can get which job done not only the fastes or easiest but the best. Now, the Mac has some great features coiming out in the multi-media, don't get me wrong. But the PC is (and probably will always be) a few years ahead in this sort of buisness. I'm not tryin' to start some goddamn Mac freak war thing-a-ma-jig, I'm just stating the obvious. Now, I've looked at some PC programs and how they will do all that I want to do...take some DivX's, XviD's, and 3ivX's and convert them to .vob files so I can burn a DVD-R with multiple movies on it. Like, a different chapter for each movie. And I haven't seen a Mac app yet that can do that (that is, a single program...I beleve you COULD do it, just you would need to do multiple conversions and, well, I just don't have the grapes for that.)

Now, if you now of a way to do what I wanna do, by all means correct me and "show me the money". However, I have to say...(and I kinda regret this) but the PC is beeter off in ripping/encoding/converting multi-media.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I see now I was misgiven. You make a good point also, the mac has always primarily focused more on content creation, where as ripping, in it's newest (grey area) sense, is a fairly new concept to our shores. I believe ffmpegx is the promise of that all-in-one app scenario you're looking for. I find it to be more than adequate in most situations, and it has managed to replace quite a few of my other tools since it's inception. Plus it glows in the dark, and protects you when your scared.
    Quote Quote  
  8. True, I can't argue that ffmpeg isn't a good tool. However, I find it somewhat fustrating to take, say, a DivX and convert it to a .vob. It just won't work. You have to first make it so that I will be able to play in QuickTime. That takes, of, about 10 hours. Then you have to convert it to .mpeg. That takes forever. Then you have to convert that to .m2v (for video) and .mp2 (for audio). That takes about 20 minutes tops. Then use ffmpeg to combine them. That takes about 1-2 hours. Then convert it to .vob. Another hour. And that is if you can even get the DivX to play in QT.

BTW--how would I author a DVD where:

I have a total of about 4 movies.
    I make a menu-screen where you can select which movie you want to play.
    I guess that each movie would be its own chapter so you could do what I mentioned above.

That, my friends, is my goal. To fit 4 movies on a DVD-R (not just drag the movie file onto it but to actually author a DVD that can play on my PS2). If I can do that I don't know what I'd do....I'd probably, well, I dunno. I just really really really want to do that.
    HOWEVER, if all else fails, at least I wount be afraid of the dark w/ ffmpeg beside me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Prophet,

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm looking to convert a divx to DVD also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The process isn't any faster on a PC, so don't gripe about it.

As for encoding speeds and "pcs are more advanced in this field" that is garbage. My powerbook encodes faster than a desktop pc that came out a few months later.

You just need to do what everybody else does and let it sit overnight.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    damn prophet is that how long it takes you just to convert a stupid avi to mpeg 2 wow more than 10 hours s**t forget it. damn my computer is starting to get older, as i only have 1.6 GHZ but my 512 mb of ram still keeps it fast, plus the whole 50 GB i still have left. it would probably take me about 1 hour and 30 minutes to convert a divx or xvid or 3ivx thats 80 minutes long. doing a CVD of course, cause if your planning on putting 5 movies on a DVD-R you can't tell me your going to make them on Full D1 dvd resolution right? cause that will look like major crap. so do CVD. so man my computer isnt that fast, but i mean looking at 14 hours just to convert a DIVX i mean what a major waste of time. oh and i never leave my PC overnight. i could probably convert 5 DIVX movies in one day, just correct the audio and check all of them for bad frames, and then just set up TMPGEnc and set up Batch Encode and ill go away and come back about 6 or 7 hours later, with 5 movies ready to burn to DVD-R or burn as a CVD
    An all in one guide for DVD to CVD/SVCD/DVD by cecilio click here--> https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/167502.php
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i agree 10 hours sounds a bit much for just 1 avi to mpeg.

i did this back when i was in love with divx, and it would take mabe 1-2 hours total.

dont do any .avi work anymore since there are much better ways of housing a movie, but all in all 10 hours seems much for just one movie.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HA!
    ten hours seems like a lot? what about 48?
    That's what my G3/450 putted in at last night, and after all that, i found out I encoded it at the wrong frame rate.

what a joke.
    I need a 2Ghz G5.
    Scream bitch, scream!

-kami
    Quote Quote