VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, i've used Ulead MF2 quite a few times before to author my VCD's and I like it the best. However this time something isn't working for me.

I add all my converted mpg's with no problem, create the menu with a custom background and music and preview it, no problems. Everything runs like normal. Then I burn it, pop it in my DVD player, the menu w/ background picture comes up, but when I press "1,2 or 3" to play one of the clips, it kicks me out of the menu all together and back to the DVD menu of my TV! On the VCD menu, all the clips show up but when I select one to play, it kicks me out.

I tried twice already, seeing if maybe something went wrong when burning. Needless to say, I made 2 coasters, and the same results on both of them.

Can anyone help me?

thanks
    -beast
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps you should compile the project again or create new project with same content and burn at a slower speed. Might not help, but if you are familiar with the program and have used it before, don't have another suggestion.

I've used the program and have never had this difficulty.
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I've made a few VCD discs using Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 and I've had very good results ONCE I got it RIGHT.

I found that it doesn't like a VCD format mpeg1 unless it is encoded 100% to the spec that the program expects it to be in.

That means that your sound must be STEREO. Not DUAL CHANNEL or JOINT-STEREO. If you are using NTSC (as I do) the frame rate must be 29.97 as opposed to 23.976

I use the TMPGEnc Pro NTSC VCD template (not the film template) using all of the standard settings. The only thing I ever changed was the environmental setting for the audio (I made it the High/Slow quality setting vs the Low/Fast quality setting) and I change the motion search to the slowest/best quality setting. However, recently I read that the different between the highest setting and the next highest setting is minimal to the point that the human eye can't see the difference so I've been using that setting recently (not the highest but the next highest). So far all my VCD discs look very good (well, you know, for VCD) and I've had no problems with MF2 as my disc creation program.

I don't know if this makes a difference but to be "safe" I always create an image file first then burn it. Try doing that instead of a straight compile to burn process.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    I should stress that it could be MY own stand alone DVD player that can't handle stuff like DUAL-CHANNEL or 23.976fps VCD discs. Could be MF2 is making the disc proper with those settings but my DVD player just doesn't like it. However, when you look at the VCD spec MF2 expects ... it does say 29.97fps with STEREO sound.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I second the good points made by FulciLives.

Jerry Jones
    http://www.jonesgroup.net
    Quote Quote  
  5. alright i'll try it.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by beastly115
    alright i'll try it.

thanks
    Let us know how it works out for you

- John "FulciLives" Coleman