VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I understand there is a problem with DVD-SVCDs on Pioneer standalones. Can any pioneer owners elaborate on this. I think i know what the solution is and need to collate some eveidence and get some testers to help me resolve it in SVCD2DVDMPG.

Thanks
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    I understand there is a problem with DVD-SVCDs on Pioneer standalones. Can any pioneer owners elaborate on this. I think i know what the solution is and need to collate some eveidence and get some testers to help me resolve it in SVCD2DVDMPG.
    ChrissyBoy,

I have a Pioneer DV-525 standalone. I have created DVD's from SVCD's in the past using the old methods (not your new software yet) of converting the headers only to 720x480, authoring with Maestro then changing the format back to 480x480 manually. The audio files were mpeg converted to 48K not .ac3. I did not have any success converting the audio to .AC3 and playing this format. Since the audio was not .AC3, I had to set the CHAPTER pointers to advance to the second half of the movie with a 1-2 second delay, that was acceptable. The movie played back great but did not fill the screen. The vertical size was the same as the orginal SVCD but the horizantial size was different. It started on the left but only filled the 480 pixels or about 2/3 of the screen from left to right.

I do have several new SVCD's which I want to convert to DVD's. I am planning on using your software.

What kind of tests do you want? I can do them this weekend.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thats exactly the problem i was hoping for. The 1/3 or 2/3 horizontal picture thing.

I've written a test exe which will try to sort out the final vobs before you burn.

So, in the first instance, if you could burn a video_ts folder (I'll make it very small) that I'll produce. One as normal & one with the 'fix' - & report back. Obviously, DVD RW media is a must for this!

Anyone else?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    Thats exactly the problem i was hoping for. The 1/3 or 2/3 horizontal picture thing.

I've written a test exe which will try to sort out the final vobs before you burn.

So, in the first instance, if you could burn a video_ts folder (I'll make it very small) that I'll produce. One as normal & one with the 'fix' - & report back. Obviously, DVD RW media is a must for this!

Anyone else?
    Glad to help out. Always use +RW media on the Sony for testing.

Are you going to post the test files on your web site or e-mail them to me?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll just post them on the site - it will be just a 5 MB 9 secs job.

Wanna test tonight? (GMT) or over the weekend?
    Quote Quote  
  6. One other comment on DVD formats. I did try the 1/2 DVD format 352x480 by patching the headers without success for my converted SVCD. I am not sure if you have looked into this format or not?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    I'll just post them on the site - it will be just a 5 MB 9 secs job.

Wanna test tonight? (GMT) or over the weekend?
    I am going to out this evening (EST) so I don't think I will have the time.

If all I have to do is burn and test then I might be able to do it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

Anyone else?
    I have the Pioneer DV-333 and have 1/3 to 1/2 of picture. I have used your program and tried doing it manually as well....no luck and have given up. If you have some new techniques to try I am more than happy to help out because I too would like many things switched over.
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

and I don't break them for no one!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where on your website are you going to be posting this file?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    some things come up - it will be tommorrow now but i will post the details here i would think
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have any idea why it is doing this on the Pioneer players?
    I did a test from scratch so I used 48Khz and picture was messed up.
    When I left it at 352X480 it was stretched horizontally and missing part of left and right of picture.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well - i don't own one but it is said that they misinterpret the the MPEG2 specification.

A MPEG2 file contains a Sequence Header Code which defines the horizontal and vertical resolution, aspect ratio, etc. (this is wht we patch/repatch when doing DVD-SVCDs). Each video sequence is preceeded by a SDE (Sequence Display Extension) also with horizontal and vertical resolution for the current sequence. Decoders should not use the SDEs for info when playing.......

It would seem that some standalone dvd players, in particular Pioneers, DO use this SDE info and so screw up the picture.

My test revolve around change the SDEs to match the SHC's (480*xxx) in the case of DVD-SVCDs

We shall see.
    Quote Quote  
  13. ChrissyBoy

Since your new SVCD2DVDMPG+ does not support MENUs, what procedures do you recommend to add a menu to the DVD that has multiple VTS's created by your software?

I hope you have figured out the hearder info for our test this weekend with my Pioneer standalone!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    joepic: Test will have to wait till for now (i'm maxed out on something else) - maybe Sun/Mon.

Menus: My software is geared towards people who have come from a SVCD background and so in the most case are not used to having menus. 2 or three movies are navigated by changing TITLEs on your DVD player - if you set up multiple VTSs - otherwise simple chapter navigation will do. Once a DVD is authored you can't (easily) add a menu.

CB
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    joepic: Test will have to wait till for now (i'm maxed out on something else) - maybe Sun/Mon.

Menus: My software is geared towards people who have come from a SVCD background and so in the most case are not used to having menus. 2 or three movies are navigated by changing TITLEs on your DVD player - if you set up multiple VTSs - otherwise simple chapter navigation will do. Once a DVD is authored you can't (easily) add a menu.

CB
    Whenever you are ready we will be glad to test on the Pioneer.

Thanks for the info on the MENUS.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes.

I am ready any time as well.

DV-333 one step above the DV-525 so it will be good test on both.
    I even have access to one which is 2 gen. above mine.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Pioner DV503, and quite simply just frameserve the old SVCD m2v's through CCE via avisynth to resize it.

CCE is so fast re-encoding it is a minimal sacrifice.

THen you'd simply SSRC your SVCD Mp2 audio to 48 khz and ac3 via any of the various methods.

No problems at all, but I am taking the extra time to re-encode the vid stream and not trick it. My trials and errors with the "tricks" only tricked me into wasting discs...........
    ~~~Spidey~~~

"Gonna find my time in Heaven, cause I did my time in Hell........I wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well......" - The Man - Keef Riffards
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Spidey resize to what?

720X480?

Won't that kill the picture? The bitrate for 480X480 is normally lower that what you need for 720x480 to get same results? I think?

Quote Quote  
  19. i got a DV-454 & tonight have been trying an SVCD to DVDR conversion. the result i was getting was a spot on picture, but its double speed!! It plays fine on my PC, and the other weird thing is that the sound will not go through my digitial surround amp, but the sound does come through the TV ok?! Only prob it is double speed sound as well!!

Could this also be this Pioneer problem or does anyone know why else this could be happening. I used, TMPG to do a simple demultiplex of the video & audio, then used ifoedit 0.95 to create my vobs, then ifo edit to create my ifos. then burnt the dvdr using Prassi.

Anyone?

cheers,

Wezza
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok guys first test:

http://www.svcd2dvdmpg.com/SVCD2DVDMPG/Samples.aspx

Follow the instructions.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like we'ved had some success!

I changed from 4:3 to 4:3 pan and scan and it looked perfect in my Pioneer DV-333 player.
    anyone else give it a try..
    Quote Quote  
  22. well thats great for you pioneer guys Now chrissy is there a way to figure out why I am still seeing the problem with my Sony?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sensei2121: the trick is:

1) the addition to the MPEG file of Sequence Display Extensions which include the Pan & Scan data.
    2) Then author a 16:9 DVD.
    3) Then enable pan & scan on your player

i've done 1 & 2 in the test DVD. If you've done 3 (which you say you have) then i'm not sure what else we can try.....

a $50 Apex?

Quote Quote  
  24. LOL Ill not get a 50 dollar Apex thats for sure. I have a really darn good DVD player. It is this one SVCD that is giving me trouble. It is the only one I care to transfer to DVD. it is that damn Two towers prescreener SVCD that says for your consideration. Ill bet you are familiar with it and maybe it was the way it was created that is making this dificult. But then again as an after thought it cant be just that cause your test files didnt work either...hmmmm. Well since I have moved on to copying DVD's directly my days of SVCD's are in the past but I would really like to get this movie on a DVD media and its just kickin my butt. It works great on the 4 cdr's with no problem its just this conversion process that seems to giving me fits. I do really appreciate your help though.
    Sensei
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    ok guys first test:

ftp to ftp.svcd2dvdmpg.com/ on port 7676.
    username: svcd2dvd pwd: Upload

ftp://svcd2dvd:Upload@ftp.svcd2dvdmpg.com:7676

In folder PnS test there is a readme and a zip file

Follow the instructions.

Thanks
    I'm a day late and a dollar short, I can not connect!!!

I would like to try your test file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    joepic: still there.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any more results? The sooner i get them in the sooner i can cut the code!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    Any more results? The sooner i get them in the sooner i can cut the code!

I first tried the download on my old 98 box which failed

Just finished downloading at work on my XP boX

I will try first thing this evening which will be in about 7 hours.

I downloaded two versions: Maestro and your SVCD2DVDMPG.

I take it the first one was authored with Maestro and the second one with your new + version with authoring software?

From my understanding of your posts, a special patch must be done to the header to enable Pan & Scan?

How will this work with Maestro? Is the SVCD file modified before I author with Maestro or must it be run through a post process?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @joepic:
    pan & scan display extensions are added to the mpeg during svcd2dvdmpg processing before any auhtoring is done.

Look forward to your results. Remember to choose 4:3 pan and scan as your settings on your pioneer.....

Anyone else?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    @joepic:
    pan & scan display extensions are added to the mpeg during svcd2dvdmpg processing before any auhtoring is done.

Look forward to your results. Remember to choose 4:3 pan and scan as your settings on your pioneer.....
    You DA MAN

Works perfect. So when do we get it?

I learned something about my Pioneer DVD player tonight, to change the VIDEO mode from 4:3 to Pan & Scan, you can NOT be playing a movie - it must be stopped.

Is there any chance that the header info can be added/changed in the VOB's after authoring with Maestro? Probably not but just thought that I would ask as I have one DVD that contains 4 parts ( I am sure you know which one I am talking about) that I would like to modify.

By the way, what movie is the sample taken from?

Thanks
    Quote Quote