VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have made some videos using Ulead Video Studio 3.0. The format is 729 x 480, 29.97 fps, 4000 Kbps, NTSC using the Ligos Codec. I am trying to create a VCD that preserves the quality as much as possible, and can be played on any computer.

I have been running a DVD2AVI and TMPEGEnc with the Video CD NTSC template. It works okay but there is a noticeable reduction in quality.

Is it possible to improve the quality of the output, and still be able to play the VCD file on computers that don't have the LIGOS Codec installed?
    Quote Quote  
  2. NTSC VCD is 352x480, so no you can't create a 720x480 VCD. About all you can do with VCD is increase the bit rate, which makes it an XVCD, which will work with most DVD players, but will probably make it incompatable with true VCD players. Using a variable bit rate sometimes works on DVD players, but again, the VCD spec calls for a constant bit rate.

You can create 704x480 MPEG still picture, and be VCD compliant, but that's a still picture, not a motion picture.

SVCD is probably what you are looking for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My player can do XVCD but not 740x480 XVCD. Is this unusual?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you can create any type mpeg you want as long as your dvd player will play it. 720x480 352x480 what ever as long as it can play it. the best thing you can do is create a few pics in jasc paint shop pro like make one 352x240 and put in the center "352x480 and then put the jpg into the video of tmpge and put a mp3 with it and encode about 10 sec and hit stop. then make one 480x480 encode with mp3... and so on. that way if it can play it will say the resolution in the middle and if it doesnt then your shit ut of luck in that resolution. matter of fact I will make one and send it to baldrick and have him put it in tools.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NTSC VCD is 352x240! Encoded to 720x480 (that is definitly possible) is XVCD and your player may have problems to play it.
    Quote Quote