VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone tried these ? Any great difference ???
    Quote Quote  
  2. What?

give us a link
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SORRY !! Forgot the link (thanks !)

Its sort of a double edged sword. Great if you are buying storebought copies, but making your own, we are only going to re-encode to fit on a DVD anyway so.......
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't see why there would be any problems. They still fit the DVD standard, and are just the video and audio without all the other crap. The video is just encoded at a higher bitrate. I forget what the max is, 9000 or around there. Most commercial DVDs have a bitrate of about 5000.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I read a review (forget where) of the Superbit DVD's, and basically, unless you have an HDTV and a progressive scan DVD player, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Superbit -vs- regular DVD. The other thing is that the Superbits leave out all the extra features (one of the things I like).
    You can't fool me, I'm a moron!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have a 43" HDTV WS and a Progressive player and I just can't see the picture getting any more clear that it is.
    Don't give in to DVD2ONE, that leads to the dark side.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gargoyle
    I read a review (forget where) of the Superbit DVD's, and basically, unless you have an HDTV and a progressive scan DVD player, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Superbit -vs- regular DVD. The other thing is that the Superbits leave out all the extra features (one of the things I like).
    I have a couple of superbit DVDs (Panic Room and one other I can't remember) but It does have extra features and the quality is only a tad bit better than normal DVDs. I do have a HDTV along with progressive scan player. But I've never tried to back up a Superbit yet, maybe i'll try tonite.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    orbital517 wrote
    I have a couple of superbit DVDs (Panic Room and one other I can't remember) but It does have extra features
    Not that I'm doubting you, but that kind of defeats the basic idea behind the "Superbit" DVD's; the whole point was to exclude all extras, and use the entire capacity of the disk for a high-bitrate (9000KBs) movie w/ high-quality sound.......
    You can't fool me, I'm a moron!
    Quote Quote  
  9. [/quote]
    Not that I'm doubting you, but that kind of defeats the basic idea behind the "Superbit" DVD's; the whole point was to exclude all extras, and use the entire capacity of the disk for a high-bitrate (9000KBs) movie w/ high-quality sound.......[/quote]

It's funny to hear you say that cause I did a poll a month ago and...

People said they would rather have extras than use the extra bits for the movie.

I guess what I'm saying is the general public just can't give up their extras no matter how better the picture will be.

If I had to choose between a better picture or extras (say if we only have single layer dvd's) I'd take the better picture.
    Don't give in to DVD2ONE, that leads to the dark side.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a progressive DVD player and large HDTV, and I can definitely see quality issues with most original DVDs, that's why I stick with CCE for making backups... so that I don't suffer as much quality loss as DVD2One, DVDshrink, DVD95copy, and IC cause. Anyway, the reason for these quality issues isn't just about bit rate. Some movies are just crap for quality. I was very unimpressed with Minority Report for example, Matrix original is a little grainy also. On the other hand, some videos like LOTR and Clones are excellent quality. American Family on DVD is excellent quality also, and it was just a PBS TV show. The pilot episode was shot with 35mm film, and the other 21 episodes were shot using high definition (HD) cameras.
    Quote Quote  
  11. No the super bit with extra's dosn't defeat the purpose when the extra's are on another dvd. This is called super bit deluxe and i have the movie snatch under this title. It is awsome quality and still i have all the extra's on another disc. I still find it weird though how they don't take up all the dvd space i thought dual layer dvd's hold 9gig? why is it not even at 8 gig then???? Still awsome quality well worth the couple extra bucks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Less than meets the eye. Phlexor's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think the reason that it doesn't take up the entire 9 gig is because DVD streams have a maximum bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yep. Can't get any better quality than that out of the DVD Standard.

Snatch : 102min(NTSC) the original is 104 and this tells me that the PAL to NTSC is a bad transfer becaused they sped it up from 25 Progressive to 29.97 Interlaced, rather than slowing down to 23.976 and telecine to 29.97 (keeping its progressive picture). Probably why they needed the extra bitrate. lol.
    Anyway.
    102min at 9000kbps(Highest DVD Bitrate) is 6724Mb.
    An AC3 and a DTS stream, both at say 1094Mb a piece(1150kbps).

7825MB total. Not using the full 9400MB.

This is just an estimate. Just to give you an idea.
    Quote Quote  
  14. My transfer thing may be wrong, it may have been shot NTSC and transferd to PAL. But still, that means the took the 23.976fps picture, then telecined to 29.97, then slowed down the interlaced picture. Rather than speeding up the progressive picture.

Either way. I can tell its a bad transfer.

Or I might be wronge. Feel free to correct me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The point of a SuperBit DVD is to max out the bitrate. If the movie is short enough they will be able to use a very high bitrate, about the max the standard supports, and may still have room left over for an extra feature or two. I have the Panic Room SuperBit DVD and all it has besides the movie is a trailer and filmographies which basically take up no space on the disk.

Compared to a good transferred DVD like LOTR, I personally don't see much quality difference between a SuperBit DVD and a regular one. Compared to the average transfer, however, I can see a difference. Basically, with that much bitrate they can't go wrong. As far as transferring to another medium like VCD or SVCD, or making a backup on DVD-R, SuperBit is MUCH better. The better the source the better the backup, even if ultimately you end up using the same amount of bitrate on your backup. I made a SVCD of Panic Room and it is by far my best looking one, of course it doesn't hurt that that movie is extremely compressable either.

All in all, SuperBit really aren't much more than a marketing ploy. At full D1, I don't think you get that much more quality by roughly doubling the bitrate. To achieve a really noticable quality boost I think you need to up both the bitrate and resolution. For someone with a very high quality hardware setup, however, SuperBit DVDs make a nice addition to your movie collection.
    Quote Quote