VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The following tutorial is also avaliable on the net HERE which also includes DVD2ONE insturction as well as how to burn with Toast

Ok, since I have seen LOTS of people saying:
    "DVD2ONE is great, the VIDEO_TS folder plays wonderfully using apple's DVD player program, then I burn it and my DVD player wont play it!"

Here is the PROPER method using TOAST TITANIUM 6.0:

1. Locate your VIDEO_TS folder that is the output of DVD2ONE. Now, make a new folder (untitled folder will appear) Rename this folder to the exact name of your DVD, using _ where there is a space between words.
    Examples:
    DVD Mounts to your Desktop as THE_ONE (name the untitled folder THE_ONE)
    DVD mounts to your Desktop as GLADIATOR (name the untitled folder GLADIATOR)
    2. Drag your VIDEO_TS folder from DVD2ONE into that newly named folder.
    3. Open your newly named folder, which now has VIDEO_TS in it. Add a new folder (untitled folder will appear) and rename that folder to AUDIO_TS.
    4. Open Toast 6.0. Choose DATA, then choose DVD-ROM (UDF) from the menu to the left. If you do not have a menu, click on the button that looks like this ([<)
    5. Drag your folder that has the name of the DVD you are backing up to Toast. You will notice that the disk name is the name of that folder (i.e., THE_ONE or GLADIATOR etc) and that there are two folders in the disk (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS)
    Example:
    DVD_NAME
    -- AUDIO_TS
    -- VIDEO_TS
    ------ video_ts.ifo, etc.
    ------ vts_01_0.vob, etc.
    6. Remove any of the invisible files if they show up (.DS_STORE etc) using the clear function of TOAST. (Also look in the folders AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS to see if there are any invisible files present. Some players can handle these files, other apparently have problems with them)
    7. Burn baby burn.

Alternatively, you can also do this
    1. Open Toast, Click on DATA, then DVD-ROM (UDF)
    2. Click NEW DISC (name this as the dvd should be named)
    3. Click ADD and name the folder AUDIO_TS
    4. Drag your VIDEO_TS to the toast window

This will create a DVD using the standard format and will ensure that your DVD player can play the DVD.

Oh, I forgot the rest of the steps
    8. Open microwave popcorn bag, place in microwave, push POPCORN and let it pop.
    9. Open REFRIDGERATOR and select drink of choice (Beer, Wine, Coke etc)
    10. Remove DVD from Mac (should be done burning by now) place in standalone DVD, get popcorn and drink, push play and enjoy

--Galactica
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.recipe4dvd.com/toast.html

look here if unsure.

also you should get a dvd-rw at least for testing, till you get the hang of it so don't make caosters. you can get them for 4-8 bucks at like compusa/best buy/office depot type places.
    pants on, pants off, pants the floor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by galactica
    You will notice that the disk name is the name of that folder (i.e., THE_ONE or GLADIATOR etc) --Galactica
    Ah, that probably explains why my backup of Pumpkin plays on my Apple DVD, my Sony 315, but not on my Samsung DV-1000: I have not been naming the DVD the exact name as the original. Thanks for the tip...

As far as DVD-RWs are concerned, I purchased 25 from www.americal.com for about $45 (white tops), they play on all of my machines and they erase and reburn without a hitch. RWs are great for "testing without coasters" as noted.

Also I am now starting to make a "TV Week" DVD-RW that places my favorite shows on one DVD-RW (using MPEG-1 and Capty DVD), so that I can open more space on my DirecTiVo. (I am still unresolved as to whether to "trim" out commercials, which adds substantially more time to the process, or just make a chapter mark at the end of each commercial break. Since MPEG-1 results in over 6 hours of capacity, and since I am probably not archiving these shows [hence the DVD-RWs], I will probably stick with chaptering...)

In this regard, I just picked up a Replay 5060 from Costco ($249 less $50 rebate) to experiment with direct MPEG-2 extraction into my Mac so that I can make DVDs. With DirecTiVo, I have to realtime digitize into my Mac and I cannot watch any other TiVo or live programming during the process (of course there is Tivo/Turbo/Net, but Replay apparently makes it much easier to get the stream out...)

Of course if I want to make a 6+ hour TV Week DVD-RW, I will have to transcode it to MPEG-1, but still this process will be on the Mac and not tying up the DirecTiVo.
    Quote Quote  
  4. uhhh..... what do I do if my microwave doesn't have a popcorn button?

MC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well gosh, we are talking before my time them!
    ha just kidding, I remember having one that has the dial you have to turn! And forget popcorn.
    But, back then it also was not possible to burn dvd's at home

man how the times are changing. Whats next? Who knows?!?!
    Quote Quote  
  6. just a question:

Why does it matter what the name of the disk is? - i dont think the IFO files look to it..

i mainly ask as i do alot of DVD SP work and just create the video_TS folder (somtimes i wont even name the disk in DVD-SP) but just give it a name when burning in Toast- they have all worked fine- or are some players particular about it??

thanks in advance
    --=(rFx)=--
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those instructions were meant to be foolproof. I never use all caps or underscores in my DVD disc name, and they all play just fine.

What people don't seem to understand is DVDs are different from CDs, so you just can't drop DVD-Video files in a CD project and expect it to work in your DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I find if I put a "AUDIO_TS" folder I have problems with it playing, with apples DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  9. 1. make sure your popcorn is mirowaveable.

2. it should be in a bag saying this 'side up.' (wallmart $2.00 for 6 pack)

3. 'this side up' make sure you put this side up.

4. times should vary on microwave.
    500 watts 3:25 min
    800 watts 3:00 min
    1000 watts 2:75 min

5. put in the right time. then press start.

6. you'll hear the finishing sound effects.

7. your done.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    8. Wash your hands.

9. Eat said popcorn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well Said!
    Who can watch a movie without popcorn!

Now to the questions:

radfx: It theoretically doesn't matter what name you call it, just that you use the standard titling procedure. I only put it that way because its a foolproof method. To avoid confusion for newbies, I said to name your new disk the same as the disk copying.

kwasnicki: Do the disks play fine in standalone players? Typically adding the AUDIO_TS folder ensures that it will play on standalone players. If your situation shows you that adding the AUDIO_TS folder decreases playback on your chosen dvd player, then just toss the folder and burn it without it (as long as without it plays also )

AntnyMD: Agreed, the use of all caps isnt necessary, but again, it was to be a foolproof method. Likewise, my experience has shown that ALL players can handle disks with all caps and _ where as some will handle names with out all caps and without underscores. Its a safer bet to just use all caps and _. What harm can it have (its just the name of the disk!)

On another note, it was pointed out to me by another user that his disks didnt play in his dvd player until he removed the invisible files also seen in the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders (just removing the root invisible files was not enough)
    While I have found that it doesnt affect playback if they are there are not, I suppose this is yet another example of how things are player specific.

My recommendation, remove all seen invisible files to ensure proper playback in all players. (note how its added to the above method)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree. Your DVD Player doesn't need the invisible files, so I'd say simply delete them. It can't hurt. Other people have talked about how the requirement the AUDIO_TS folder, someplayers want em' some don't need em'. So to make it where you disk will play in the most amount of players, add the folder......dvd burning is cool :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bumping up to the top.

whats the requirements for a stickey?

To me it seems important information. People are still asking how to, or are having problems becuase of burning methods.

-Galactica
    Quote Quote  
  14. I dunno if this will be important to anyone else, but here goes.

When I try to view the VIDEO_TS folder created from a Dvd2oneX movie only copy, the darn thing won't play 'cause the apple dvd player doesn't recognise it as a valid dvd.

I assume this is becuase there are no .IFO or .BUP files in the output VIDEO_TS folder. I fixed this using tocgen and the original .IFO .BUP files (renamed of course!) Then it plays fine on all my machines and standalone dvd players. Now i am not saying o need to do this, but wouldn't this step make it more compatible?

Just for discussion really, as it all works for me on this basis.

cheers

markusb
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    huh, ill have to look at this. I guess I should make it known that this is for the DISC COPY output of dvd2one.

want to type up a 1.2.3. on your movie only method so i can paste it into the how to above??

thanks

either post it here, or PM it to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To the top, once again!
    Seems this is still a legitimate problem a lot are having.

I have had 3 private messages where the solution has been toast burning method errors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bumping again!

seems its valuable info for people again!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by markusb
    When I try to view the VIDEO_TS folder created from a Dvd2oneX movie only copy, the darn thing won't play 'cause the apple dvd player doesn't recognise it as a valid dvd.

I assume this is becuase there are no .IFO or .BUP files in the output VIDEO_TS folder. I fixed this using tocgen and the original .IFO .BUP files (renamed of course!) Then it plays fine on all my machines and standalone dvd players. Now i am not saying o need to do this, but wouldn't this step make it more compatible?

If this thread has been made Sticky, it should be clarified that DVD2OneX does indeed create the .IFO and .BUP files when processing in "Movie Only" mode.

Not sure what the problem was above (MarkusB, has it been working okay?) but let's not give newcomers the impression that there are MORE hoops they have to jump through...

: )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've read that the reason the user is usually told to create a companion empty folder named AUDIO_TS and place it in the project is not so much to cause a SETTOP PLAYER COMPATIBILITY
    but to make sure that the resultant disc has a folder on it !!
    and the files in the VIDEO_TS folder do not inadvertently end up in the DISC ROOT DIRECTORY..

Thus by adding the empty AUDIO_TS folder we have insured the correct structure a DVD needs- one or TWO FOLDERS in the root directory

NOTE: The audio folder is not alway empty---
    the AUDIO_TS folder is used for .AOB's in the case of a
    DVD AUDIO TITLE
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by schmeg
    Not sure what the problem was above (MarkusB, has it been working okay?)
    Strangely enough schmeg, this has only happened to me once. And I cannot explain it. If I figure out why it did it, I will post it here.

cheers

markusb
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dcsos
    I've read that the reason the user is usually told to create a companion empty folder named AUDIO_TS and place it in the project is not so much to cause a SETTOP PLAYER COMPATIBILITY
    but to make sure that the resultant disc has a folder on it !!
    and the files in the VIDEO_TS folder do not inadvertently end up in the DISC ROOT DIRECTORY..

Thus by adding the empty AUDIO_TS folder we have insured the correct structure a DVD needs- one or TWO FOLDERS in the root directory

NOTE: The audio folder is not alway empty---
    the AUDIO_TS folder is used for .AOB's in the case of a
    DVD AUDIO TITLE
    Im not so sure about this, but my impression was that its to mimic the way most commercial dvd's appear when mounted.

You will usually find a single AUDIO_TS folder and a single VIDEO_TS folder. Yes, the AUDIO_TS folder is not always empty!

Per my tutorial above, its noted that you make a NEW folder which you then title as the DVD TITLE. Then, you place the VIDEO_TS folder into this NEW folder. Thus, when the NEW folder is put into toast, it assumes the role of the DVD DISK and the VIDEO_TS folder is now a subfolder, and the files do not end in the root of the DVD disk!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Or you could just download DVD Imager from VersionTracker or MacUpdate, drag your VIDEO_TS folder onto its icon, then open Disk Copy, press command-B and select the image file created by DVD Imager.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks GALACTICA, you really know your stuff!!
    Great to see!

BY THE WAY, If you can remeber the older OS,
    what is the lowest version of TOAST that handles firewire in 9.1
    or do you need 9.2?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To be honest, i cant remember back that far!

I remember having toast 4.0 (but not if it supports firewire drives)

I do know that the Toast Titanium 5.0 will run in 9 and im pretty sure it did. I think its can do both 9.1 and 9.2.

Personally dont have a firwire external drive, but a friend tells me that you can use 5.1 with OS9 and it will also support this TEAC external firewire burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by llee782
    Or you could just download DVD Imager from VersionTracker or MacUpdate, drag your VIDEO_TS folder onto its icon, then open Disk Copy, press command-B and select the image file created by DVD Imager.

Does the app also put in the AUDIO_TS folder? or Do you have to drag both VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS fodlers to its icon.

My assumption is its going to image what you give it, again, for compatiblity reasons, include the AUDIO_TS folder!

The image method also works, just more steps and processing. Just openign toast, and ensuring its done as above is probably the fastest, since you still have to burn the dvd you image
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but a friend tells me that you can use 5.1 with OS9 and it will also support this TEAC external firewire burner.
    Thanks I think that shows the ticket! Because strait from the box 5.0 couldn't cut it..and the upgrade to 5.14 (higher than .1) screwed with some other apps annoyingly!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can get your hands on a copy of just 5.1.0 it will hopefully work!

Just for fun I booted into 9. MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!! HOW DID I EVER USE THAT SYSTEM! Its like going back to system 7!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by galactica

Does the app also put in the AUDIO_TS folder? or Do you have to drag both VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS fodlers to its icon.
    Yes, it includes the AUDIO_TS folder. Try it, I bet you'll like it. It requires 10.2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will try it for the sence of trying new things.
    I have 10.2.6 so it should work nicely.

The image it makes still need to be burned as another step correct?

Or does it make an image and burn it all in one step?

Just curious, trying to make up a webiste with every tutorial I can think of that applies to Mac Video
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by galactica
    The image it makes still need to be burned as another step correct?

Or does it make an image and burn it all in one step?
    It just creates the image. Disk Copy or Toast must be used for burning.
    The idea behind DVD Imager is that iDVD lets you burn a disk, but doesn't let you create a burnable disk image. That's a feature I wanted and DVD Imager gives it to me, sort of, by letting me easily make an image after I've burned a DVD in iDVD. But if you have created a valid DVD VIDEO_TS folder by other means, DVD Imager will let you quickly turn that into a disk image too.
    Quote Quote