VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Thread
  1. really? maybe its because our microwave is ten years old by now.... Are there more buttons?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    this is only SLIGHTLY pertaining to the topic.... but yes

i have
    1. popcorn
    2. oatmeal
    3. beverages
    4. fresh vegetables
    5. frozen vegetables
    6 soup
    7. frozen entres
    8 rice
    9. defrost
    10. reheat serving

then all the regular numbers, start, end/clear
    Quote Quote  
  3. hoep mine will break soon so i can get a new one...
    okay now, back to the topic
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sledgehammer+microwave=reason to get new one

Q
    "Good Luck 007"
    In Memory of Desmond Llewelyn
    Quote Quote  
  5. The tutorial for burning DVD to Toast was a big help, thanks!

In one post, the comment was made that once they understood how to edit the video ts files, the trailers and extras could be eliminated. I've read through the glossary terms to understand the contents of the ts files, but only found the term vob. I don't want to delete any files until I understand what they are.

If there is a post that explains what all the files are, and how to determine what I can safely delet, I'd appreciate it. If not I'd like to know how.

I ripped one DVD, compressed it and tried to do a copy, not movie only. The compressed file was approx. 4.45 gb. When I tried to toast it, I got the message there wasn't enough room on the DVD to copy. I assume there need to be resource files on the disc, which would take up room. Are there any ways to do a better compression when you want all of the features included?

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2 things
    1. if you want to "remove trailers" and such and keep the menu, you must use the advanced tutorial on my website.
    2. hades can do this also if your total movie only part is under 4.4 gigs but you wont get the menu

3. it being too big can be the result of
    a. not using 4444 under user defined
    b. your media needing dvd2one to be set slightly less than 4444 to say 4400
    c. you not setting toast 6 to DATA for dvd-rom and using the VIDEO tab

make since?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Galactica

Excellent, thank you!

Went to the advanced tutorial on your site, glanced over it and seems to have just what I need. I understand your procedure to color code the files, but currently I have two files that have gone through DVD backup, processed through DVD2One. What I don't see is the last column to the right - 'kind'. Does that get knocked out when processed through DVD2One? I've just installed OS X 1.3 and feeling my way around with a new system, but I still should be able to see file descriptions. I can only assume I've lost that due to processing through DVD2One.

I did a copy, DVD Backup, DVD2One, then deleted the larger file.

Once I saw the tutorial and screen shot, it's easy to understand the contents.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    those are just columns, it has nothting to do with it being gone, i just moved it!

kind is not important.
    what is is for you to watch the .vob's in VLC and color code them youself.

and hopefully it was a typo and you installed OSX 10.3 not 1.3

make since?!
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK, makes sense.

In the finder under view, I didn't have 'list' checked so it wasn't giving file description, size, etc. But after running through DVD backup and DVD2one, those files are all listed now as simply 'document', I understand I need to color code them myself.

And yes, it's OSX 10.3. That was a typo. No secret new beta systems out there, at least not here.

Onto popcorn, that's easy.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    interesting. i didnt not know they change classification from movie file to document

again its no big deal, your dvd player will know what they are
    Quote Quote  
  11. Allright, so now I'm having a problem (no surprise, that's why this particular topic was created).

I've been trying to make a copy of my cowboy bebop dvd as practice. It's 9 or so gig. I've been bumping back and forth between Mac the Ripper and OSeX to rip the entire thing to my hard drive, then I used dvd2one set to disk copy mode to shrink it to a user-defined setting of 4444gb. When I burned the dvd using toast 5.0 (using the setting of other->dvd) I created a disk that my player (Sony Playstation 2) wouldn't even recognise as a disk. It would give a red screen of death and ask me to insert a ps2 formatted whatever. I attributed this to the magic db files that show up after I began a burn. I switched to toast 6.0 and NOW when I burn (dvd-rom udf) the playstation recognizes the movie, but gives a black screen and says that it is unable to read the disk. I've been using some cheap hypermedia dvd-rs and I'm wondering if they're playing a part but I wanted to make sure my technique was working before I go and buy more expensive media. Can anyone help?
    .. but nothing ever changed. That wouldn't be fair.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry for not replying earlier, honeslty i didnt notice a new post here!!! wasnt really looking, its been so long since someone replied to this post ')

sounds classic of cheap media
    get yourself some better media, and perhaps a dvd-rw to do some testing.

if you are following the procedure on my website to the letter it has to be the media.

you would be surprised at what i have seen from cheap media!
    once you cross into the realm of buying good media [hey it does cost a little but its worth it in the long run!]

i dont buy any disks that are advertised $0.80 /disk! etc
    I use TDK and others here have had success with others such as Verbatim, Imation, Rytek to name a few.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I went ahead and switched to some Memorex media. Everything worked perfectly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    amazing huh. Hopefully people will read this and understand that you pay for what you get!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the info in these posts. We just installed DVD Studio Pro and I was wonderring what other methods there are of capturing video (DV) besides Imovie? (I am a PC guy forced to work on a MAC)

Has anyone here tried Prodisc? They are less than .80 each, but so far they seem to be OK. I guess I will know soon enough.

Thanks,
    Glenn Woiler
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    prodisc work good, but the life of the data on the burn is poor.
    Ive had prodisc where you get data read errors only after several months time after initial burn.

generally what you can expect with cheap media
    if you want inexpensive/good media go with Rytek. its the cheapest best media i have found by far
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by gwoiler
    We just installed DVD Studio Pro and I was wonderring what other methods there are of capturing video (DV) besides Imovie? (I am a PC guy forced to work on a MAC)
    It seems odd that you'd get DVD SP and not a decent editing program like Final Cut Pro/Express or Premiere or, well, anything. It's just odd to use a free dv editor with such an expensive program instead of, say, sizzle.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are right. The studio is all MAC, and At home (I work from home) I am all PC. My experience ranges from the Video Toaster, to SpeedRazor, to my Perception with Video Action-(old) and the last couple years I am on a Canopus with Premier. And, Premier barely cuts it.

Here at a Christian Ministry, "Laymen Ministries" with 3 2/3 chip cameras, 2 sets fully lit, and a Grass Valley component switcher, mastering to DVCPRO(25), also MII, and editing on a Stratosphere (Accom) or was that (Scitex), the boss said he wants to start making DVDs. I have been doing that on my own, but... how to do it on a MAC was a learning curve for me. So, I told him to buy DVD Studio Pro and he did. Next... what is the best way to capture? Well, he said IMovie!

The Sphere system is getting older now and has always been flakey with the storage docks. So he is down at NAB and I think he will end up with Final Cut Pro and a separate external peice of hardware that will have all the connections, can't remember the name. The quality of the Sphere is nice, but it is so finicky. You never know when it will crash, and crash hard! It is a dead end system with no support and no upgrade path.

One problem I ran into this morning is... I encoded 3 programs for DVD and each program is 28:30 in length. the audio is uncompressed. (Oh, I tried the Apack, and can't figure out how to do all the audio files at once for AC3) My total file size is well below the DVD limit, and on the little bar above it says 4.8 gig! The way I add it up, I am under 4 gigs easy. I do have a motion menu and motion buttons, but, I am surprised I am over. So, lets compress the audio and see what happens. But one clip at a time? ahhh!

Glenn Woiler
    www.lmn.org
    Quote Quote  
  19. about DS_STORE what is it? Also when making for ex. an mp3 disc in roxio toast 6 a file like this shows up should I always remove it?? But my actual question is that sometimes when adding DVD files (after shrinking in DVD2One) to the toast window, there is nothing with the name DS_STORE but after pressing burn the thing suddenly shows up(and then it´s to late for removing it cause i´m already burning to a disc). Has this happened to you? This is probably areally stupid question but i´m really new to everything and this forum too but I´d to learn . This (DVD Backup to DVD2One to Toast6) is the only thing i´ve found so far that works for me making DVD to DVD in Mac OS 10.3.3. DVD Backup 1.3 sometimes fails to decrypt and that´s it because after that there is no point going on. Seems like in many instructions here the backup process is taken for granted. Have tried MacTheRipper,Osx on things Dvd backup couldn´t do and they´ve never worked. Are there more accurate apps out there for mac users or am I just doing something wrong. Had similar experiences??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    actually, it has.
    I use to get this with toast 6.0 where on the very first burn after opening it would not show up. But if i kept the app open and burned again, they would pop in there! Upgrading seems to have solved that for me. However, i have a friend whose upgraded toast still does it. his solution was to quit the app and reopen between burns.

.ds_store is just an invisible file used by the OS. Its presence on a dvd is questionable as to if it really matters or not if its there. I try not to put them in.

As far as apps and problems, whats happening?
    I use Mac The Ripper DVD2ONEX and Toast and never had a problem yet!

if you want to start a new post feel free, since this one is quite long and as you can tell I sometimes skim over it and dont reply immediatly!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Just wanted to contribute that I burned my very first DVD a couple of hours ago

I used MTR (v2), DVD2OneX and Toast to do it, followed the detailed information that was given by Galactica (thanks!) and everything worked like a breeze No errors at all

Couldn't be more easier than it was... the only problem I had (not really a problem, tho), was that when I was working with DVD2OneX I didn't know I was just copying the movie :P (not everything), but it's great :P (yeah, and I'm a noob). ^_^
    Quote Quote  
  22. but... dvd2onex already creates an AUDIO_TS file while compressing. im confused by this tutorial. im a total novice and i just burned an arccos encripted rip successfully with toast in a much simpler way. what are you guys using to rip? using mtr i think you can still have working menus etc, but a movie only rip. then all you have to do is a whole movie compression using dvd2onex then burn the whole thing using toast, or use pocorn to compress and burn, although it cant handle arccos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    cipher
    with v1.42 you can not only set disc copy or movie only copy but you can also use the selective mode which kind of blurs background objects and leaves foreground at higher quality. Glad you got it working

mumadad
    The tutorial is a bit out of date. Out put from MTR will be accepted right into DVD2ONEX and you can then burn that directly with toast.

MTR can handle acrcos and you just rip it over with that, shrink with dvd2onex and then burn with toast

let me know if you have more specific questions
    Quote Quote  
  24. Lately I've been having problems with the video skipping.

I read somewhere that if the backuped DVD begins to skip the video, one of the reasons might be defective media, while other reason could be burning it too fast. Which speed would be the best to avoid skipping (not counting defective media)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the media brand i suppose
    I burn most mine at 12x on Ritek

Cant say I have had problems

Probably also has to do with your dvd player
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why can't you just use the toast video option and select dvd from video_ts folder?

It just seems like it's pointless to do data disk when you have to delete all the invisible files...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That option is with the newer forms of Toast. Older versions didnt have that option [ie, when the above posts were written mostly].

G
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay. I have toast six and popcorn and have never had them succesfully burn a dvd. I don't bother with them anymore. I have to build my projects in dvd studio pro, then use nero on a pc. It's a bit rediculous, but toast 6 constantly stuffs up...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    gavinmcnab:
    Does toast 6 burn anything for you? Data cd's/dvd's etc

Toast 7.0.x is now on the market, perhaps an upgrade would fix the problem

What sort of drive do you have? and what is your dvd media. This could all be affecting burning results
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You know what Galactica, that's some piece of procedure you put up here....but let me tell you all a secret...since I put my hands on DVD2OneX this app has made my life so simple that all my DVD-R copies work on any commercial DVD player ...of course I'm also using Toast 6.1.1 to burn my copy....

After ripping a 7.8GB DVD, I process it with DVD2OneX, creates the VIDEO_TS folder , prior to burning it , I test it by running Apple's DVD player that proves me it's A-OK...then I simply use Toast to burn ..oh! I do create a folder named AUDIO_TS ....

To be honest...It's as simple as copy paste, drag & drop..whatever method you use to move, copy the VIDEO_TS folder into TOAST and burn...it does take around 45-50mins on my G4 to completely create my new DVD-R copy..it works like a charm!...
    Quote Quote