VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Thread
  1. I did already.. there aren't .. There is ONE set of six 1.3 GB VOB files.

They all belong to ONE movie. The main movie.

I already played each one separately in Toast to view them. They are six different video segs to the Hulk all belonging to one title.

Some where there is another audio version of the movie that contains only 13 chapters as opposed to the full 33 chapters.

Its not a different language because they all are also 33 chapters.
    Its not the Directors Commentary cause it also has 33 chapters.

Weird. Oh well... The main things is that I have the movie one one disc and the extras on another isn't it? :P

The movie companies actually made it easier for us to dup because they put the extras on a separate disc. Well, also cause they couldnt fit all the extras onto disc 1.

I guess their answer to having the CSS kracked was to develop their own DVDR 10 standard instead of creating another CSS (that would end up being kracked). hehe

If I imported all the VIDEO_TS files into DVDSP2 I could take out all the BS trailers right?

Tia
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by patent10021
    If I imported all the VIDEO_TS files into DVDSP2 I could take out all the BS trailers right?

Tia
    you dont have to go into dvdsp2 for that. just find the .vob's relating to the "crap" and replace them with a sinlg text file thats named the same thing

example, VTS_04_01.vob is a tralier. Just create a VTS_O4.O1.vob thats a text file and replace the movie one with the text

NOTE: DO THIS AFTER DVD2ONE. so you will have to use a simple ratio formula to figure out the file size that is above 4.4 needed to make only the movie .vob's 4.4 gigs.

if thats too complicated let me know - ill try to give you an example if i get some time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ahh a text file , interesting cause I tried replacing a garbage trailer that was 122mb with a video seg (the FBI warning) cause it was only 8k.
    I just copy and pasted the same VOB file name.
    But I guess it didn't recognize the replacement.

Guess I had to use a text file.

However the trailers only show up in Disk Copy mode anyway which I I WONT be using with these new movies.

User Defined, Film, Constant seem to get the best results when you dont care about the menus. With the new bigger movies all the other modes
    show too much compression. Any movies over 7.5 GB it seems.

I think the best method for the NEW movies is to use the main movie with AC36 with any other audio you want like Directors Commentary / subs and thas it. Forget the menus and 1st disc extras. And then Disk Copy the Extra Features 2nd disc.

Thas what I had to do for Two Towers and Hulk.

Is that whaat you do mostly?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope

im a fanatic about having a menu. and also scene selections.
    so i do a disk copy, but usually more than 4.4. gigs, then replace all i dont want with text files, so the final size then is 4.4 gigs and all thats left is 1. the menu .vob and 2 all the movie .vobs

then the dvd plays just like a disk copy but it really a movie only copy with working menu.

thats what i do
    Quote Quote  
  5. oh you sneaky devill wish I knew that !!!!!

I'll have to try it

so are you saying that I use

User Defined
    Disk Copy mode
    Constant

Then with ANY VOB files I DON'T want, I replace them with text files right? So you dont keep the extras from the 1st disk (with those large newer movies). You only keep the menu and main movie.

Right?

Peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yep.

tricky part is trying to figure out what to make the user defined.

i usually do it like this

1. get info on only the .vob's that are in the video_ts that are just the movie and the menu say for example its 5.8 gigs.
    2. then i get info on the entire rip of the dvd. say for this example its 7.9 gigs

then i set up this equation

5.8 / 7.9 = 4.4 / x

solve for x and you have your userdefined value for size.
    then you remove all the VTS_0x_01.vob (keeping the 00.vob's) and replace the ones you tossed with a empty text file thats got the same name as the ones you tossed.

does this make since?
    Quote Quote  
  7. yeah it does make since.

The science of since

I will try it.

Now I'm pissed that I returned the BlockBuster videos lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by patent10021

Now I'm pissed that I returned the BlockBuster videos lol
    please dont say thats where your dvd's are coming from!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm just joking of course...

Copying commercial DVD's is very illegal and frowned upon

Quote Quote  
  10. K. Ive done this before and it worked... and if it hadnt been for a weird fingerprint-like spot on the dvdr, it would have worked perfectly. Now when i try to burn a dvdrw i get this error in Toast 6.03:

"The drive reported an error:
    Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
    Sense Code = 0x3E, 0x02
    TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT"

Is this my problem? Im using Memorex DVD-RW discs on one of the new 15" powerbooks (1.25ghz, superdrive) and its worked before. When i try to erase these discs (ive tried twice), i get a Media error that says:

Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
    Sense Code = 0x51
    ERASE FAILURE"

I may be sending my laptop in because of these white spots that are appearing on the screen, should I get them to check my drive while they are at it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
    Sense Code = 0x3E, 0x02
    TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT"
    based on this alone I would have them look at the drive. especailly since you are sending it in for the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Matrix Reloaded...what an easy rip...

Total was only like 6.67GB to start off with. No deleting needed.

I thought it was going to be huge. I was also surprised to see not one trailer on the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. K. it looks like the problem was with the discs. damn memorex. Just got some verbatim discs and they work great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds about right, some disks are just not worth getting, those being one of them
    Quote Quote  
  15. Galactica. Thanks for your help. I've had relatives invade and so unable to respond. It turns out that the dvd played on my 17" Powerbook but not in my 4 year old powermac G4 tower. I guess the dvd player does not support RW disks. The video quality on the 17" is quite grainy. Is that normal? Is there a way to improve the quality? Also, what media do you recommend? Thanks.

DN
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dwarf_nebula
    The video quality on the 17" is quite grainy. Is that normal? Is there a way to improve the quality? Also, what media do you recommend? Thanks.

DN
    1. quality is no matter how you do it, the thing is how much?
    - movie only will be higher quality
    - disk copy will be lower than movie only

constant mode is better quality than variable

2. an app called dvdremaster gives great quality but takes a really long time at its highest setting. took more than 24 hours! It essentially reencodes the movie down to the 4.4 gigs.

Media:
    Its totally up to you. I like TDK 2x General. Also used, and liked, Verbatim and Imation. Cheap disks I found to be the best of cheap would be Ritek G03
    Quote Quote  
  17. OK Galactica, you’re the man, nice job! This was my first attempt and I was successful. Just a few quick observations and two questions:
    • I started with DVD Backup 1.3 to decrypt my disc. BTW, this process seem to take forever on my 4.6 G disc.! Question, why DVD Backup over OSEx?

• Next up was DVD2oneX. Process was straight forward but you never mentioned that if you want to convert to a full disc, not just the film (movie), you need to get off the DEMO and buy the code. Well, $62 US dollars later I started the process. This too took what seemed to be forever again. Question, the setting for ratio, what is the difference between constant and variable?

• Now onto Toast 6.0.3. Here your help was invaluable! BTW, all this fuss about adding a AUDIO_TS file. DVD2oneX already does this and my VIDEO_TS folder had no .DS or invisible files. The process took 12 minutes on my G5 super drive using a Verbatim DVD-R, 4X blank disc. Final question., is it necessary to verify a video disc in Toast after burning? This process took twice as long as it took to burn the disc!!!
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by old-man
    OK Galactica, you’re the man, nice job! This was my first attempt and I was successful. Just a few quick observations and two questions:
    • I started with DVD Backup 1.3 to decrypt my disc. BTW, this process seem to take forever on my 4.6 G disc.! Question, why DVD Backup over OSEx?
    just my app of choice is all. You can use osex but personally i find it to be SLOWER!!!!! How long exactly did it take? for a commercial dvd5 it takes me 10 min to rip it off the dvd to the HD. my drive has a 16xdvd read speed so keep that in mind when comparint to the drive in the G5 (which i believe is 12x)

• Next up was DVD2oneX. Process was straight forward but you never mentioned that if you want to convert to a full disc, not just the film (movie), you need to get off the DEMO and buy the code. Well, $62 US dollars later I started the process. This too took what seemed to be forever again. Question, the setting for ratio, what is the difference between constant and variable?
    HA i thought the demo only did first 15 or so min no matter what option you chose! its always understood when apps are talked about that they are the full installed registered versions. Sorry it wasnt clear.

speed on this part will be your choice of ratio as you noted.
    Variable is faster and lower quality
    Constant is slower and higher quality

variable on my machine is 15 min
    constant on my mavchine is 25 min

what are your times exactly! i would think the G5 would be faster than this! mine is Dual G4 1.25 Ghz.

• Now onto Toast 6.0.3. Here your help was invaluable! BTW, all this fuss about adding a AUDIO_TS file. DVD2oneX already does this and my VIDEO_TS folder had no .DS or invisible files. The process took 12 minutes on my G5 super drive using a Verbatim DVD-R, 4X blank disc. Final question., is it necessary to verify a video disc in Toast after burning? This process took twice as long as it took to burn the disc!!!
    Thanks.
    1. dvd2one didnt use to add the folder for you, only newer version of the app does.
    2. not allways will you have .ds_store. I thikn it says IF you have it, remove it. 12 min is great, thats a 4x burn.
    again im confused about the speeds - can you do it again and time it!

also if you can, get the model number of your superdrive, so you or i can look up the read speed of the dvd rom aspect of that drive.
    part of the problem with having only 1 drive and having it be a superdrive is typically the dvd-rom speed is slower than if you have 2 drives, where one was superdrive and another was something like a dvd-rom only or a combo drive *(cd bunrer/dvd rom) like i have.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thanks Galactica for the quick and informative response to my post.

With the exception of timing Toast rip for 12 minutes, I didn’t time the other phases. I’ll do that on the next run.

I’m using a 1.8 Ghz G5 machine which might be slower than your dual 1.25 Ghz. According to Toast, my internal superdrive is a Sony DVD RW-U10A

What about my question about verifying in Toast after burning. Is it really necessary and unlike audio discs, DVD verification takes FOREVER!

Thanks. ……Old-man
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Write Speed:
    - DVD-R: 1X, 2X, 4X max
    - DVD-RW: 1X, 2X max
    - DVD+R: 2.4X, 4X max
    - DVD+RW: 2.4X, 4X max
    - CD-R: 4X, 12X, 16X, 24X Z-CLV max.
    - CD-RW: 4X, 10X, 16X max.

* Read Speed: DVD-ROM: 8X max. CD-ROM:* 32X max.
    * Random Access Time: 200ms (DVD 8X);* 160ms (CD 32X).
    * Sustained Data Transfer Rate: 11.4 MB/s (8X DVD-ROM).
    * Interface: ATAPI EIDE.
    * Buffer Memory: 8MB,* Buffer Under-run Protection Technology.

Here's a little info i pulled on yoru drive. Note your DVD-ROM read speed of only 8x max! thats one big difference as i said earlier.

now verification..... its something i only do with dvd-rw's and only when i care about them. personally i dont do the verification much . Like you said it takes time. If you really care and want to make sure the burn was proper, then i woudl verify *(like say on data dvd's)

does this answer your ?'s
    Quote Quote  
  21. Galactica wrote:
    " Here's a little info i pulled on yoru drive. Note your DVD-ROM read speed of only 8x max! thats one big difference as i said earlier. "

What faster external DVD/recorder do you recommend?

" now verification..... its something i only do with dvd-rw's and only when i care about them. personally i dont do the verification much . Like you said it takes time. If you really care and want to make sure the burn was proper, then i woudl verify *(like say on data dvd's)

does this answer your ?'s "

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    in no way am i saying your drive is no good. All im saying is you can get drives that read faster for dvdr than that drive reads

typically dvd read speed has two levels
    read speed of single layer disks
    read speed of dual layer disks.

typically singer layer read speeds are faster, and dual layer read speeds are slower.

The only speed I found for your drive is 8x dvd-rom which is most likely single layer disks meaning dual layer disks (what most commercial dvd's are) would be even slower (hence the long time it takes to do the ripping on your machine.

I have several drives and like the pioneer DVR-106 but its just preference.

You could also get an external combo drive if you wanted which typically have faster dvd read speeds. just do some researching on yoru own if you want on dvd drives and pay attention to dvd read speed and more specifically dual layer vs single layer read speeds
    Quote Quote  
  23. Ok Galactica, as requested, here is a breakdown of my burn times.

DVD size: 4.4 GB
    Burned to Verbatim DVD-R 4X
    Software & Equipment:
    • Apple 1.8 GHz G5 with OS 10.3.1
    • Internal factory Superdrive (Sony DVD RW DW-U10A)

DVD Backup-1.3 took 35 minutes
    DVD2OneX (vs. 1.2.1) took 12 minutes
    Toast 6.0.3 took 14 minutes (no buffer underrun, 4X, no verification)

Total: 1 hr.

Also, in my boredom, I read all the Read-Me’s. Two DVD Backup questions:

• It said that enabling the regional code (RCE) may not work if your Mac is a region coded Mac and went on to list firmware sites to correct this. How do you know if your Mac is region coded (short of flying out to the west coast with your burned disc) and have you or know anyone who used the firmware update?
    • It further said you can go directly to Toast and burn thus eliminating DVD2oneX or saving 12 minutes. Assuming a standard size disc etc., what gives?

Thanks, .... old-man
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by old-man
    • It said that enabling the regional code (RCE) may not work if your Mac is a region coded Mac and went on to list firmware sites to correct this. How do you know if your Mac is region coded (short of flying out to the west coast with your burned disc) and have you or know anyone who used the firmware update?
    Interesting... i would assume they mean when you set the region code of the dvd drive?!?!?! Perhaps thats why ripping on my 2nd drive is faster than my 1st, because i didnt set the region code on that one because i use my other to play dvd's. you only have one, so the very first time you ever played a dvd it asked for your region, and said you can change it 5 times.... remember that?!

• It further said you can go directly to Toast and burn thus eliminating DVD2oneX or saving 12 minutes. Assuming a standard size disc etc., what gives?
    Correct!!!! if your dvd is already less than 4.4 gigs there is NO need to dvd2one it. dvd2one is only for when your ripped dvd is MORE than 4.4 gigs. so if you have a dvd rip thats less than 4.4 gigs just skip dvd2one and burn directly.

hey 1 hour is nothing man!!!!! i remember when vcd's use to take 24+ hours to make!! VCD'S!!!!!!
    again, the only way to increase your speed would be to get a new drive... and that would only drop your dvdbackup time.......
    Quote Quote  
  25. Galactia wrote

" Interesting... i would assume they mean when you set the region code of the dvd drive?!?!?! Perhaps thats why ripping on my 2nd drive is faster than my 1st, because i didnt set the region code on that one because i use my other to play dvd's. you only have one, so the very first time you ever played a dvd it asked for your region, and said you can change it 5 times.... remember that?! "

I vaguely do. I seem to remember I had to select a region. It wasn’t an option. Maybe I didn’t have to. Point is, I apparently have a region coded Mac but it didn’t stop Apple DVD player from playing my region free copy. I wonder if my DVD copy will have an effect on other DVD players. Has anybody you know raise this as a problem and suggest just dis-enabling region free in DVD Backup to play it safe?

"Correct!!!! if your dvd is already less than 4.4 gigs there is NO need to dvd2one it. dvd2one is only for when your ripped dvd is MORE than 4.4 gigs. so if you have a DVD rip that’s less than 4.4 gigs just skip dvd2one and burn directly."

OK Galactia, now I’m going to show what a newbie I am and how ignorant I am in video.

I just started copying DVD’s and I only needed to copy 4.4 GB discs or less. I know commercial DVD movies are up to 9 GB on dual layer DVD-9 discs and I’m recording on a single layer DVD-5 disc. So I conclude in order to get the job done the video needs to be compressed or recorded onto to multiple copies, right?

So here are my questions:
    • Is there a tutorial like the one you wrote that guides you through the process of copying larger than 4.4 GB DVD’s? I imagine it’s more than just setting USER DEFINED to the larger DVD size and all the other steps are the same.
    • How much visual quality do you loose with compressed disc copies?
    • When do you think dual layer DVD recorders will be available?
    • Finally, it’s annoying that there are a myriad of PC only software (copy DVD pro, DVD Wizard pro etc.) out there that apparently does it all for less than the price of DVD2OneX and no all-in-one DVD copy programs for the Mac. Oh well, there just ain’t enough of us to make it worthwhile!

Thanks in advance for your time on answering this newbie’s questions.

……. Old-man
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

The tutorial I wrote on my website IS FOR DVD's LARGER THAN 4.4 GB!
    im totally lost here...

1. there are commercial dvd's that are less than 4.4 gigs. they do not require dvd2one at all! just dvdbackup and burn
    2. there are commercial dvd's that are MORE than 4.4 gigs (the majority) and these DO require dvd2one. so you backup, dvd2one and burn.

now.... quality wise, its been covered A LOT!!!!!!!!!!
    movie only - higher quality
    disk copy - less higher quality
    variable - less quality than constant
    constant - more quality than variable

now per the "all inclusive" im happy there is none for mac. these processes are VERY easy, and to have an all inlucive app just means that people who dont like to run 3 apps are happy.

personally, i have more freedom in choosing what i want to do when its a stepwise process. i have seen the likes of the PC all inclusive apps and if you ask me they suck!

all my PC friends are amazed how i can get exact copies of dvd's that look 10x better than thiers and dont have DVDXCOPY warnings

as far as dual layer disks... who knows eventually they will come out. thing is they will probably cost more than just buying the dvd again to have a 2nd copy. eventually it will go down in price. i remember when a blank dvdr was 19 dollars a disk!!! ahahhahah
    and look where we are now. you can get cheap ones for less than a dollar a disk...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Galactica,
    Thanks again for taking the time to answer me.

Now, I finally get it!!! The size in USER DEFINED is the final, desired compressed size of your backup and not the actual size of the original disc your trying to copy duh…… and your steps are for ALL size discs (however for discs below 4.4 GB’s you don’t need DVD2OneX just DVD Backup).

Boy am I dumb !!!!! Grrrrrrrr.

Thanks, …… old-man
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no worries.... everyone starts at basic knowledge and works their way up.

sounds like your getting a grasp on it now
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by galactica
    8. Open microwave popcorn bag, place in microwave, push POPCORN and let it pop.
    --Galactica
    please...dont tell you got microwaves with a button for "popcorn" in the US....?!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry? what do you mean by that?

microwaves in us have a POPCORN button that is set to perfectly pop a bag of popcorn .

this has been around for YEARS!
    Quote Quote