VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)

Poll: What's the longest SVCD you ever put on one (80min) CD?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Poll idea by mpegobsession

Submit your poll idea here
    Quote Quote  
  2. Actually it was an xVCD (SeVCD using Sefy's old template). I converted a 90min DivX to one VCD (also did Gi Joe the Movie, not sure how long that is thou but more than 61min, to xVCD).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    well if vegita is going to start with the not-actually-SVCDs already, then I got 160-something minutes of LOTR on one XVCD, which was Ok, and 119 mins on a 23-minute mini disc

as i'm starting to play with kwag's templates now though (and very well they're doing too, their CQ50 looks like TMPGs regular CQ75 , can anyone point me in the direction of a free mpg2 encoder so i can have a go at cracking the SVCD challenge? (i'd rather not get a cracked tmpg all told, just something free (for now) thats tweakable enough)
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  4. TMPGEnc has a 30 day demo of its MPEG-2 encoding. It updates regularly enought so that if you don't want to buy it, you could probably still use it.

The only free alternative that's any good is probably bbMPEG. It is fairly slow, however.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  5. a CVD of Nausicaa:Valley of the wind. 1h 58m! Looked very good. Had to leave room for selectable subs too.
    Happy to be here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My longest was a xVCD with 3 30 min tv episodes on one disc. Looks nearly as good as my regular vcds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mummy returns on a 80min CD using CVD format.
    Unplayble on my standalone, but looked suprisenly well on PC!
    Most of the time I convers 2 11 1 movies about 100min on a 80 CD using CVD and they look great. Like VHS!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Guest
    My longest was SVCD of the movie "Contempt", 97min 28sec 4 frames...

Technicals:
    It's a old drama rather then spectacular, so Audio is Mono 32kbps, video is 1058kbps. Windowboxed it to 448x544 (so size is still 480x576) to avoid TV's overscan. Looks much better then I expected, sure it was a 5-pass VBR with CCE with max distribution of bitrate, but still credit must be given to the program for handeling the video so well (and for me for having the nervs to wait hours for encoding to be done )

BTW, is there any noted limit for how long the video could be? I think I read once the SVCD standard states 100min, but not sure...
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think it is 100 min -- it has something to do with how the stream is addressed or something like that...

Most modern players, however, seem to handle it fine... though a 100+ min standard SVCD will probably not look to good...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  10. From all the replies here, i'd say the title should be changed to what's the longest movie ever put on a 80min CDR

I Think my longest was a 97min movie, but I haven't got the slightest idea which movie it was at the moment, it was back when I made the SxVCD Template, heck, I wonder if someone even still uses those Templates
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Guest
    Originally Posted by Sefy
    From all the replies here, i'd say the title should be changed to what's the longest movie ever put on a 80min CDR
    EVEN I can't think of everything
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Straight SVCD would be 50-54 minutes: Basically 1 hour TV eps (One Soprano episode is 55 minutes, but I whacked the credits).

xSVCD would be 132 minutes (320*288, 2pass VBR with 3000 peak, 96k sound). Looked really good(it's basically a VCD), but it only plays on my PC or my Apex (none of the more $$$ players at circuit city would play it), it was a low action chick-flix.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  13. true compliant SVCD 70 minutes. with no blockiness.
    :P
    Quote Quote  
  14. K2

That's not bad. Can you please post what you used and your settings.

julz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OOps just re-read the question...I dont do SVCD...goes the oposite direction... I want 1 movie on one disc....not multiple discs....ignore below..its about VCD....

Looks like my longest to date is 146 minutes....for the numericly challenged thats 2 hours and 26 minutes....xVCD of course Minority Report was the movie...longest before that was Fight Club at 139 minutes...

I dont use anyones templates other than my own...tried Kwags once....with my old cpu (K6-500) took 39 hours to process (an 87min Shakes The Clown) with TMPG...and the quality was the same as mine or slighty worse....but hey this is all subjective....some peeps wont put over 60 minutes on a VCD...

Remember VCD is not DVD....all my movies look better than VHS tape movies, but are not as good as the DVD...also not all players support non-standard stuff....none of my friends would by the APEX 1500 when they asked my opinion....so they can't play any of my xVCDs.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Guest
    From the posts I see here, I assume people really hate changing the disc in the middle of the movie
    Quote Quote  
  17. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Gonza-kun... gotta tell me how ya did that Getting that in near-DVD quality would be sweet. (even better.. Kx3.. to have it exactly the same as original laserdisc)

Only got a good-enough xVCD copy of it so far, though that may be something to do with the source "only" being 432x240 laserdisc capture.. hehe

{mind you it may hinge on whether my stupid DVD player can handle CVD, not looking good so far, managed to trick it into (jerkily) playing SVCD-rez mpg1's, but DVD/KVCDx3 rez things go a bit wierd (I-frames fine, everything else messed up) and CVD just.. well.. kills it. Rats. Have to see if mpg2 works any better, if i can get an encoder.}

Last time I upgraded my TMPGEnc, it somehow detected how old my previous copy was and immediately disabled the MPG2 encoding plus I want to use CQ mode, which is missing on the newer ones. Maybe I can get hold of a really old one from somewhere without the 30 day limit

Til then... it'll have to be.. dear lord.. BBmpg.. don't like it that much, but it's all I have, and it can take alternative matrices, etc with a bit of pushing. Who knows, may get lucky. (But does it take frameserved input?)

Well for now, another small victory in the "not SVCD but a lot of stuff on a CDR80" stakes. Lupin III DVDrip, with compression-unfriendly subs and blend-deinterlace, still looking damn fine at CQ70 as 102 minutes of 224-high (plus subs) PAL, 112kbit mono sound (original was yuck - this can't be told apart), along with another 9-ish minutes of stuff composed of a DVD extra trailer and a music video, both bogstandard VCD. Inside of 80m30 disc time. Sweet.
    The forced-subs only, superfilterated english one with kwaghancements and CQ'd trailer/music video (to save space -and- improve quality) should look even sweeter though a fair few bytes will be lost to the much more HQ soundstream. Basically using the KVCD enhancements to compensate for that.. they don't cause a massive improvement (like 2x efficiency, or even 50%), but there's a noticable, small-to-moderate difference to eye and to quality checker, between a K and non-K, that sliver could make all the difference between a good-enough 3 hour encode and a just a little too crappy one (or a 'very good' and plain 'good' one)

I have a Q to interrogate kwag about on that one as well.. where to tweak the matrix so that an interlaced mpg1 source still looks ok at worse compressions.. need to make it so the highest vertical frequencies don't get smushed quite so much, though the middle ones can still happily take a battering.

After that... maybe Crouching Tiger.. again, on an 8cm

PS MPEGobsession - Yeah. Having to change the disc halfway sucks. Don't know why, but it's just the whole breaking-up the film/having to get up and mess with the player thing. Why do you think DVD flipdiscs have all but died out, and laserdisc never really caught on with the mass market? You don't have to change halfway with a VHS anymore, dual layer discs pause for maybe half a frame these days, and there's very few cinemas with intermissions anymore (iceland, i think, was the last place i experienced one). With DivXs it's a bit easier to tolerate as you can use 2 CD drives, or load one/both onto hard disc (if they ever left), then take a further ten seconds to make a *.m3u (..etc) playlist file to drop into the player instead, and it auto-joins.
    If an xVCD works ok up to about 120-150 minutes without much brainpower, and a CVD/SVCD at least upto 2 hours with a bit of tweaking (AC3 can wait til i have a DVD burner, as can 'real' HQ video), then more power to the single-disc elbow

Soon enough everything will have a hard disc or a 32Gb memory card reader anyhow, so patience isn't too hard to exercise, in preference to being able to slob on the couch (or bed) with a remote control and snacks for a couple straight hours.

{this is why i could never be a projectionist}
    {and that Contempt film.. that musta been *really* old... 32kbit sound? thats... horrible... like a telephone.. damn!}
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Guest
    EddyH,

Contempt isn't THAT old, it's from 1963 and sound is just mono with barely any music if at all, mostly just speach. And for speach 32kbps isn't bad at all. I can even send you sample if you want to hear the quality

BTW, why aren't there any QC option? I have TMPGEnc 2.58 (not plus) and it has the CQ option...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Changing Discs in the Middle Sucks! especialy if it's a SVCD and you need to change 3 discs, erruuu!!!

If I have to change more then 2 CD's, I rather buy the movie on DVD and that way avoid to change anything

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  20. Not good to suggest warez. You are suggesting that you don't buy the movies on DVD.

Anyway. I try not to go over one CD. I don't do SVCD or VCD. Just DivX and XviD. About 2h 15m/CD will give good quality.
    Quote Quote  
  21. well sefy,

in that case, why don't you get your hands on those multi-disc dvd players...i've been eyeing the JVC 7 disc one that ppl say works w/ SVCDs. the prices are coming down these days, so won't have to sacrifice quality for laziness ;p

Originally Posted by Sefy
    Changing Discs in the Middle Sucks! especialy if it's a SVCD and you need to change 3 discs, erruuu!!!

If I have to change more then 2 CD's, I rather buy the movie on DVD and that way avoid to change anything
    Quote Quote  
  22. You forgeting where I live ? 8)
    Prices may be coming down for you, but here prices are always too high for
    a human being to afford

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I have to agree. Things ain't like US everywhere, something the US forum members tends to forget (or not realise at all!)

The most stupid thing happens nowdays in E.U. The cost of a cheap DVD standalone player (made in china most of the time) is about the price of ... 3 DVD movies! And a DVD movie in southern Europe costs about 30 Euro...

Also, the last 6 months, the DVD-R prices are the same. I don't remember something like this happened in PC hardware again the last 10 years for so long! The prices expected to drop late January. We are now on May and the prices are the same as late November for this matter.
    Makes me feel stupid not to get the burner 6 months ago when I had the change (christmas salary present...)
    Quote Quote  
  24. I Just bought the first 4 Seasons on Ranma 1/2 on DVD from a nice place which isn't Amazon (they charge over 100$ per season!) and including the delivery to Israel it cost me 115$ that's over 300$ cheaper! :P

Some things are worth buying, some things are not, I have no problem with the quality of a VideoCD, and i'm not in the one bit impressed with SVCD and when I can, i'll buy everything on DVD, and what I won't buy, i'll have a VCD.

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i dont waste my time making (s)vcd . i have a dvd recorder :P
    Quote Quote  
  26. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Only suggesting warez where the originals are either not available or effectively not available (foreign/out of print sutff costing a ludicrous amount to get, when likely at some point in the future they'll be imported/reprinted more sensibly)

Like... nausicaa will be over here on DVD sometime next 18 months.. til then, the LDrip will do. and my last encode was a backup

That's what we're all saying.. right? Of course!

MPGObsession.. um.. I dunno.. how good/bad was movie sound recording in 1963?
    Last I used 32k for anything it had about a 4-6khz frequency response with any encoder, which isn't much over telephone, and not that good with the compression artifacts either; it doesn't even get much better with mp3 (7-8khz). It's just too little data for properly "sharp" audio Though true, it works well for speech, i got many old lecture recordings transferred to 32k mp3, perfectly listenable.

DVD vs VCD/SVCD.... seems the latest thing that Sanyo is trying to flog it's dead in the water HDCD burners with is the ability to hold 2 hours of video on one disc
    Like that'll be so useful.. you can play it on -nix- apart from other HDCD drives that I can see.
    Quote Quote