Powerbook G4/667 (PB)
    iMac 17"/800 (iMac)

DVD:
    Memento Limited Edition
    Star Wars Episode II - Disc 1

DVD Extraction:
    0SEx 0.0110a1
    DVDBackup 1.3

First off, Memento worked with the rip from 0SEx, but failed to work properly using DVDBackup. Star Wars II extraction worked using both 0SEx and DVDBackup.

After the dvds were ripped, I did both a Movie Only and Disc Copy test. The following are the results:

Memento Limited Edition
    Movie Only - 33 min (PB) and 22 min (iMac) Quality=Great
    Disc Copy - 68 min (PB) and 53 min (iMac) Quality=Good

Star Wars II
    Movie Only - 26 min (PB) and 16 min (iMac) Quality=Good
    Disc Copy - 71 min (PB) and 56 min (iMac) Quality=Good

Overall very satisfied with the results. Sad to say Insatnt Copy for Windows is still the best, producing Excellent quality. Maybe in future versions of DVD2One they will do 2 pass encoding like Instant Copy.

Hoping Pinnacle is planning to make a Mac version of Instant Copy
    Quote Quote  
  2. So where can I get a registration code for DVD2OneX, just so that I can be sure that I am happy with full size backups, before I actually buy it, that is?
    EarlyGrace
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by earlygrace
    So where can I get a registration code for DVD2OneX, just so that I can be sure that I am happy with full size backups, before I actually buy it, that is?

I think you've asked a Very Bad Question! Actually, the demo version of DVD2oneX is indeed the full working copy, with the serial number limitation. The 30 minutes of recoding done in the demo version produces results based upon consideration of the entire movie/disk. The results would look the same if you had a serialized copy.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What the world needs here, it seems, is a gui-fied port of the *nix dvdbackup program.

It appears for reasons that escape the hell out of me, 0SeX and DVDBackup want to "do things" to VOBs that they ought not to...that "You've been messin' where you shouldn't be messin'" syndrome.

-K
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hey, I am sure that I am not the only person out there wanting to ask this question. That or I wait for the next version of SS to come out.

It is good to know that the quality I get from the demo is the same as what I get from the full version, I just hate to drop the coin on something that does not work 100%.
    EarlyGrace
    Quote Quote  
  6. It works. It does what it says, the way they say. If the output from the demo is satisfactory to you, then go for it.

-K
    Quote Quote  
  7. tell that to my wife
    EarlyGrace
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by earlygrace
    tell that to my wife
    Lol...

If you gotta 'splain a $54 purchase to the wife, you must not be throwin' down the LD, man

-K
    Quote Quote  
  9. That is like $200 Canadian, I have a hard time getting $20 by her.
    I got your LD right here, that is part of the problem, single income and 2 kids at home, do you know how much dipers and forumal costs? I don't, but it must be alot, cause I never seem to have any extra money. shit I have to steal my DVD's from work
    EarlyGrace
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by earlygrace
    That is like $200 Canadian, I have a hard time getting $20 by her.
    I got your LD right here, that is part of the problem, single income and 2 kids at home, do you know how much dipers and forumal costs? I don't, but it must be alot, cause I never seem to have any extra money. shit I have to steal my DVD's from work
    ROTFLMAO!!!

You totally made my day!!

"That's part of the problem," lol! I hear ya man. Glad we got past the Diapers and fomula here...talk about a racket!

Much more profitable than the DIY Softwaare biz

Did you say $200 CDN? Do you guys export anything up there besides bad music acts (rush excluded) and comics?

Wow. I feel yer pain then

-K
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so far there isn't a way on the mac to get jacket picture made. at least not one that i could find, it'd be great if there was one though. there's still no info out yet if compressor or dsp 2 will be able to them either. here's a post i did awhile ago when i though i had figured them out on a mac, but it turns out only my one player a malata n996, played them right and no other player would. it's seems that if you can get a sony player to play them you'd be good cause most if not all sony players support jacket p's, not really sure what other companies do, but here's my old post some links might be dead, i'm just copy and pasting, and please jump in if anyone figures this thing out. thanks

Making jacket pictures using only a mac, no pc/vpc.

i figured this out by a lucky accident, when trying to make jacket pictures with tmpgenc for the first time. i used the "guide to jacket pictures" that i downloaded from http://www.tfdvd.com/public/department44.cfm as my reference.

I don’t know how standard any of this is so let me know if there is anything wrong with this method please, cause all i really know about jacket pictures is what i've read on the forums and the guide above. i'm not sure if this method will work on every dvd player or what, cause only one of my dvd players, a malata n996 a chinese player, can display jacket pictures. i just figured this out last night so i haven't been able to test it out on more players yet, so please let me know if this works out for you.

this is for ntsc cause that's what i'm using.

this was just one way it worked for me, i'm sure there's lots of other programs to use instead of what i used, the thing that made it work from what i can tell was muxing it with audio. before i just had the video and it wouldn't work.

1. make a pict file, 720x480

2. import into fcp

3. double click it so it’s in the viewer, make it 1 frame long, i just hit in and out at the same point.

4.put it into a timeline, set in/out at one frame long again.

5. render it.

6. export it as a quicktime movie. video settings: compression: none, millions of colors, sound settings: umcompressed, 48, stereo. (you need to add this or else it won't work, unless someone knows another way).

7. open movie in quicktime, export audio as .wav (umcompressed, 48, stereo) not .aiff

8. this next could probably be done with a few different apps. like cleaner and ffmpegx. so far i've done it with mediapipe and bitvice, you can get mediapipe here, it’s a free program.
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/...Pipe0.8.9r2.dmg

bitvice is not free, though the bitvice demo should work. you need some program that will encode to the right sizes.

i don't know if it matters, but i set my bit rate at 6000. anyone know if that's good or bad or does it matter? i had it at 2000 but it looked really bad. is there a standard bitrate for jacket pictures?

so encode the movie 3 times in the appropriate sizes.
    Large = 720x480
    Medium = 176x112
    Small = 96x64

9. then you need a program that can mux audio and video, i used ffmpegx, it’s free get it here
    http://homepage.mac.com/major4
    ffmpegX_0.0.6g.dmg is the latest one. ( You don’t need to install any of the stuff it says too unless you want to use it to encode mpegs, but if you use it just for muxing, then just open the ap and go.)

you could probably also use missingmpegtools ( http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9394 ) and maybe some other programs too.

10. open ffmpegx - hit the tools tab, load the video (one at a time for each size L,M,S) and the audio (the wav file), only have "Mux as.." checked, set it to MPEG-2, uncheck keep streams elementary and everything else. hit "go!" then do it for the other 2 sizes, leaving the audio the same.

11. w/ ffmpegx you will get a new file with what ever name it had plus the extension .mpg. so file1 will be file1.mpg, file2.mpg, etc.

12. rename the files to the proper names. and when you do this you'll get a dialog box that says are you sure you want to change the extension to .mp2, say yes.

NTSC files are called as follows:

Naming Size
    J00___5L.MP2 720x480 pixel
    J00___5M.MP2 176x112 pixel
    J00___5S.MP2 96x64 pixel

PAL files are called as follows:

Naming Size
    J00___6L.MP2 720x576 pixel
    J00___6M.MP2 176x144 pixel
    J00___6S.MP2 96x80 pixel

make your JACKET_P folder and drop the 3 files into it and add the folder to your dvd.
    pants on, pants off, pants the floor.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, here's one I heard around the watercooler today:

Pants walked into a bar. The bartender says "What can I get you?" Pants says "I don't care what it is, as long as it makes jacket pictures."

Sorry Pants, but I'm chuckling because you keep popping in to various forums asking about them. Good luck; may your quest be fruitful.

Pants on, pants off, where are my pants?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah it just seems wierd you can't make them on a mac.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want to appear stupid, but what is the jacket pic thing?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what did they fix with the new release today? 1.0.1?

just wondering.

jacket p's are when you hit stop and a picture is displayed on screen instead of a blank screan or your dvd players logo or what ever your dvd usually does. not all dvd players support them and not all dvd's have them. if your dvd has them there will be a folder called"JACKET_P" i know sony's support them, all pioneers i have tried don't though, but none of those have been that new. big trouble in little china, ocean's 11 (new one) thriteen days, are some dvd' s that heave them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And this is important why? So what if you have to look at the dvd player logo when you hit stop? Just turn off your TV while you're stopping your dvd player and save some oil (where electricity comes from). Sheesh! I can't believe you actually went through all the trouble of doing your process (and explaining it several times) just to get a freaking picture when you hit stop...
    Back to the subject at hand, I'm ecstatic they've gotten this ported to OS X, and have already purchased my copy, just to show my support for all the effort they've put into this, to buy a Mac and learn to program for OS X. Big time Kudos to Erwin, Rene et al.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No offense, but why do you need to know why someone else might want a feature before you feel it is worth having... It seems pants and myself (both want Jacket Pictures) always get the same response.. "why do you need that?" or "what's the point?"

If you genuinely want to know our uses, that's cool and understandable, but please don't post negative.. "you dont' need that" posts.. it doesn't help

I use the Jacket Pictures in my Sony DVP-CX875P 301 DIsc player.. here's a description about it..

Jacket Picture display With compatible discs, Jacket Picture display feature adds a thumbnail image of the disc material into the Disc Explorer menu system, for easy identity, also, when disc playback is stopped, an image shows up on-screen as a "screensaver".
    Basically, the Disc Explorer on my DVD player shows in order all my DVD's and if there is a Jacket Picture, shows it to the left.. it reminds me of browsing through a satellite receiver of the TV shows playing... Pretty Cool...

(sorry if my first section was harsh..)

KaiCherry, about the program, basically I'm looking for a program that has user input for an image file (preferrably 720x480, but not required). THe program would take this file and do the necessary conversions to ouput a folder called JACKET_P that contained 3 image files with the naming scheme like Pants posted above. The files would be mpeg images of the input file with the appropriate sizes and names. Then when the user burns the DVD, he no only puts the VIDEO_TS folder in, he also puts in the created JACKET_P folder and now his compatible DVD player will display them properly. MP2 files can be created with mediapipe, but manually doing this for every DVD is painstaking! That's why I'd pay for a program that did it automatically by just inputting the original image (could be downloaded from the movie website...)

NTSC files are called as follows:

Naming Size
    J00___5L.MP2 720x480 pixel
    J00___5M.MP2 176x112 pixel
    J00___5S.MP2 96x64 pixel

PAL files are called as follows:

Naming Size
    J00___6L.MP2 720x576 pixel
    J00___6M.MP2 176x144 pixel
    J00___6S.MP2 96x80 pixel

[/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah! better yet!!!

You know how Windows Media Player downloads DVD info from the Web and displays chapter titles/info and the cover photo for the movie automatically?

This program, call it JacketPictureX for reference, could do this also, insert the DVD and it downloads the Picture for you or you can supply your own. Then it does its thing and outputs a JACKET_P folder that you'll use later to burn ...

step by step,

Insert DVD, load Apple DVD Player to regionalize the disc, close DVD Player, Open DVDBackup or OSeX and decrypt, open JacketPictureX and create the JACKET_P folder, open Forty-Two or DVD2OneX or whatever transcoding/compression program of your choice and create VIDEO_TS folder, load VIDEO_TS and JACKET_P folder (add AUDIO_TS too if your a purist) into Toast or DVD Burning Program and Burn!

Kai, I think this would be a cool add-on to Forty-Two and Disco+ too (user selectable since it would take up a small amount of space) and have it create the JACKET_P folder with the AUDIO/VIDEO_TS folder(s) and make a ready to burn ISO or whatever...

But, a standalone program to do this is really what I'm looking for. . .

I think others, Pants included, would really see this program worthwhile..

sorry for being long-winded...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Seems like Kai is friendlier and more helpful now that DVD2one actually is released for OS X. Wonder why...

Earlygrace, pay for it. Don't be stupid.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm happy to see that the tools for the mac are growing. Giving users more options. Opening doors for expansion. And yes, the endless wishes for more. Satisfaction is never guaranteeeeeeeed. When will it end?

Not untill the aliens come with the 'cook book.'

hee hee hee

Thank you all for entertaining me.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'd like to ask for some help.

I've been reading about what a great job DVD2oneX does, but as I understand it, you first need to use another application, like DVDbackup to copy the disk to your hard drive. I've searched this site for a tutorial on how to do this in OS X but have been unable to find one. I would like to be sure how the process works before I order DVD2oneX. Can anyone here provide me with a step by step or point me to a link where one already exists?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [1] Insert DVD into drive. Let the main title play a few seconds in Apple DVD Player (or DVD player of your choice).
    [2] Launch DVDBackup. Make sure to use version 1.3
    [3] Drag your DVD icon into DVDBackup. Process the files.
    [4] Close DVDBackup and launch DVD2OneX
    [5] Select movie or full disk, audio options, and subtitle options when in movie-only mode.
    [6] Process these files to 4.472gb
    [7] Burn the resulting files in a VIDEO_TS folder in Toast. Add an empty AUDIO_TS folder for added compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
  23. hey folks
    i have a question. i am trying to use this program (DTOX) to backup a DVD to see how well it works. when i try to i get an error message that says "Encrypted Data Detected" and it won't let me. Is there a workaround on this? How are you all using DTOX to backup your DVDs without getting this message?

thanks from a newbie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DannyZR2
    Basically, the Disc Explorer on my DVD player shows in order all my DVD's and if there is a Jacket Picture, shows it to the left.. it reminds me of browsing through a satellite receiver of the TV shows playing... Pretty Cool...
    Hey, that IS cool. So it actually stores all the jacket pics you've played in it in internal memory and displays them later in a list? That's pretty damn nifty. Sorry if I sounded critical, but I was under the impression that there was no practical use for this feature, and so was less than pleased to see it popping up in all the different threads, completely off-topic. It's still off-topic, but at least it's nice to know it's not completely useless (for those that have a player that will display this sort of info).
    Back on topic now, it seems like V1.0.1 came out yesterday, with the additional change:
    There was a small problem with the validation of user names with special characters, because the Mac by default uses a different extended ASCII set than Windows does. This problem has been fixed now.
    Glad to see they're serious about their Mac version.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  25. ok, nevermind. I see the anwer above. thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Swollen Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AntnyMD
    [1] Insert DVD into drive. Let the main title play a few seconds in Apple DVD Player (or DVD player of your choice).
    Launch DVDBackup. Make sure to use version 1.3

--snip--

Add an empty AUDIO_TS folder for added compatibility.
    Does 1.3 correct the issues mentioned previously with DTOX? (Some discs ripped with 1.3 didn't work with DTOX, whereas an OSex ripped one would.)

Which machines don't support discs without the AUDIO_TS folder? So far the machines I've tried either support VIDEO_TS-only discs or else don't support DVD-R at all. Having the AUDIO_TS folder present didn't help.

What about Video_TS vs VIDEO_TS? Just wondering.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Dear AntnyMD:

Thanks a million! Appreciate the info and the quick response. I have 3 kids (all teenagers). You can only imagine what they do to our DVD's despite the fact we're on them all the time. This will be a real lifesaver.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Eug
    Does 1.3 correct the issues mentioned previously with DTOX? (Some discs ripped with 1.3 didn't work with DTOX, whereas an OSex ripped one would.)
    This sounds like a question to the developer of DVDBackup, if you can find him/her.

Originally Posted by Eug
    Which machines don't support discs without the AUDIO_TS folder?
    Another good question. I think some software players don't like discs without an AUDIO_TS folder. I'm repeating what I've heard others say, as I have never encountered a DVD player that didn't play a pressed DVD with only a VIDEO_TS folder. Honestly, I don't think they exist.

Originally Posted by Eug
    So far the machines I've tried either support VIDEO_TS-only discs or else don't support DVD-R at all. Having the AUDIO_TS folder present didn't help.
    A machine that doesnt support DVD-R at all won't care what's on your disc, AUDIO_TS or no. So far, my DVD players that either don't support DVD-R(W) or will play some brands but not all, were purchased before summer of last year. The two DVD players I've bought since then (a Koss portable, and a cute Sony psyc model) play cheap and expensive, DVD-R and DVD-RW like gangbusters.

Of course, computer DVD drives tend to play everything.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by KaiCherry

I don't actually use toast...its flakey. I simply drag the folder with my dvd structure in it (MY_DVD, which contains a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS) onto VideoTSISO and it makes a DVD-Video compliant .iso that can be burned with disk copy.

Or with anything else that burns Disk Images.

-K
    Could anyone direct me to where I could download VideoTSISO?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  30. For those who can read french, we published a How-to...

http://www.macetvideo.com/dvd2onex/dvd2onex.html

LE site francais de la video sur Mac
    http://www.macetvideo.com/
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!